Chapter 49
14 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Thoughts of Lucy swirl around Johan like a projection emitting from his mind. Her warm smile, the excitement she exhibited, her joyful mannerism, and most of all the kindness he showed her were on displayed in front of his eyes. 'Why? Why is this so bad? What exactly is wrong with this? I see nothing ill about it. Why am I seen as a bad person when I made her so happy? I don't understand anything anymore. I don't get it. What is it about this that is so wrong? I don't get it.' He sighed. 'Lying in bed and pondering about this will do nothing for me. I might as well get up now.'

After getting dressed and exiting his bedroom, "Well, morning, stranger," Wendy greeted Johan.

"Good morning," replied Johan.

"Stoic today too, huh?" Johan ignored the comment as they headed toward the refrigerator only to notice the garbage bin with a box of orange juice. "I guess I'll go to the store and get some more."

When he grabbed his things and left the apartment, climbing the few steps down into the sidewalk, “Johan,” the voice of Francesca makes him turn his head as she approached him.

"Oh, morning," he replied in a rather bland voice.

"No 'good' morning, or am I reading too much into this?"

"Everything is fine. Nothing out of the ordinary. Everything is normal."

"I'm glad to hear that. Well, I am going to talk to Wendy right now. Join us if you want."

"No, thank you. I have no interest. I have to go to store right now. Good day." He turned around and started walking the opposite direction.

Upon arriving at the store, "Well, good morning, Johan,” Margaret said as she appeared before him.

"Oh, yes, so I've been told," he responded.

"That's a strange way to make someone feel welcomed."

"I am sorry if I offended you, I am simply just being respectful, that is all."

"Johan, why do you sound like a robot? Come back to earth, will you?"

"What do you mean?” He said in a rather cold tone. “Everything is fine. All is fine in the world. Nothing is wrong. Everything is okay. There's' nothing to worry about, I'm doing the right thing."

Margaret cocked her head to the side and gave him a confused look, "Okay..."

"I have to go to the store now. Please excuse me," and he proceeded to enter.

--

"Is there something wrong with Johan?" Francesca asked.

"When is there a time when he's not?” Wendy responded. “He's getting worse and worse."

"He sounded so... what's the word?... disingenuous?"

"Call it whatever you want, I have no idea what is going on in his head. He's spiraling down further and further into some weird state of mind like a cantaloupe out in the sun, and I have no idea why. To think, he's studying to be a psychologist of all things."

"Could it be that he took that course because he felt this way?"

Wendy's eyes widened, "That could be a reason. I mean, the way he's acting, he should be seeking a psychologist himself."

The door opened with Johan entering with a box of orange juice on hand.

"Johan, how are you today?" Francesca asked, "It's a wonderful morning for a walk, isn't it?"

"I guess it is.”

"Why not join us for a nice chat?"

"I have no intention of being cajoled. I will be heading to my room now. If you will excuse me.”

After placing the box of juice on the table, he departed from the two towards his bedroom. When the door closed, "Did you see his eyes?” Francesca said, “They looked so lifeless."

"Not just his eyes, his posture was so stiff. It's like he's barely alive. Something's definitely wrong and I have no idea what to do." Wendy sighed as they opened the orange juice and took a swig. Francesca gave them a perturbed as Wendy put the box down. "Oh, I'm sorry. I forgot. I'll pour you a glass."

"No, it's fine."

--

"No, no, no," Lucy said. "This was a big mistake. I'm leaving."

"Come on," Jenny said, "The front opening of this blouse isn't that wide."

"No, I'm not interested in wearing something so open."

Jenny pulled out another blouse. "Then how about this one."

"That doesn't close all the way up. And it's missing the bottom half."

“It's meant to be this short.”

“Oh no...”

"Stop being so picky, okay? You're acting like a kid."

"Because I still am a kid."

"And you really think a college boy is going to like you acting like a kid? He's going to want a mature woman."

"You don't even know Johan."

Jenny put her hands on her hips, "And I'm still waiting for my introduction."

"Look, I'm not wearing that, okay? It shows too much... skin."

"Hmm... I guess you're right. I mean, no point in showing off what you don't have."

"Excuse me?"

"What's your bra size?"

"My what now?"

"Can't be much."

"That's it, I'm leaving."

Lucy turned around and started walking toward the doorway, but Jenny raced to block her way. "Hey, come on. You want to impress Johan, right? I mean, you came to me for help because you don't know what to wear."

"I'll just wear what I usually wear. He doesn't mind at all."

"You can't do that at this point. That's criminal. You have to wear something appropriate for a date, otherwise, you're not going to score."

A tinge of hesitation emerged within Lucy before saying, “Score? What do you mean?”

“Don't tell me you haven't downloaded those dating sims I sent you.”

“Oh, that. Will you knock it off with those games? Those aren't realistic."

"In any case, hanging out as friends is one thing, but now that he's your boyfriend, you got to act a certain way."

"Boyfriend?" A strange sensation trickled throughout Lucy's body upon hearing that word, one that made her feel nervous.

Jenny pulled out another blouse. "Here, this blouse should suit you. Look, it covers the chest and its long sleeved."

"But my stomach will still be exposed."

Jenny lowered the blouse with a look of befuddlement, "What are you, five?"

"Why are you insulting me? I don't want to wear anything that exposes my body, that's all."

“You're impossible, Lucy. I'm trying to help you but you're just acting like a little brat.”

“This is not necessary; all these clothes show off too much. In fact, why do you have these clothes?”

“Now you're picking on me? Come on, Lucy. You want Johan to like you or not?”

“Johan is not who you think. He wouldn't want to see me like this. I'm certain. He's a gentleman.”

“Okay, so he's a gentleman. What about you? You're going out on a date looking like his little sister if you wear your normal clothes. You might as well go in your school uniform.”

“I just don't see the point of wearing such revealing clothes.”

The bedroom door suddenly opens, “What's going on here?”

 

 

 

 

 

Standing at the doorway, a middle-aged woman wearing denim clothes and a wide assortment of accessories around her wrists and neck was standing by the doorway.

"Mom, I told you to knock before entering," Jenny said.

"Oh, I keep forgetting dear. But it is my home, so I guess I can get away with it. Ha ha ha!" Her eyes turn to Lucy. "Why, if it isn't Lucy. About time you got to hang out with my Jenny at home."

"Hello, ma'am."

"Oh honey, call me Mitsy. Playing dress-up, are we?"

"Mom," Jenny said annoyed, "We are not little kids."

"Of course, my little pumpkin pie."

Jenny rolled her eyes, "I'm looking for clothes to give her on her first date."

"Jenny!" Lucy said with a strong tone.

"A little date? Oh, you kids grow up so fast. When I was your age, boys were still icky, but I guess that makes me old fashion." Mitsy walked toward Jenny's closet and after going through an assortment of choices, she picked out a pair of jeans. "What about this?"

"What about it?" Jenny asked.

"She can go casual on the date but..." she turned it around to reveal the word 'Hottie' embroidered on the rear, "She can be a bit frisky too."

"No way!" Lucy protested. "I'm not wearing that."

"Yeah mom," Jenny said, "She doesn't have the hips to justify wearing that."

"Oh, but isn't this what you hip-young teens are doing now?”, Mitsy said, “I still think it'll look cute on her. Well, actually." Taking the pair of pants, Mitsy approached Lucy. "Turn around, dear." Confused as she was, Lucy complied and turned to expose her back while keeping an eye on her. Mitsy's eyes darted up and down as she inspected Lucy. Turning her attention to Jenny, she placed both her hands parallel to each other and pushed them close until they were an inch apart. Jenny nodded. Lucy was furthered confused.

"Is this a circus?" Lucy muttered before speaking out loud, "Listen, I don't think I need anything special. I'll just wear my casual clothes instead like we did before."

"I told you, Lucy,” Jenny said, “you can't wear that on a date."

"She's right," Mitsy interjected. "A date is super special. You can't just wear any old ragged thing. You got to wear something to create those wonderful memories."

"Wonderful memories?" Lucy said as the words sent a serene feeling through her. "That's right. I made some great memories last Saturday. That was pretty special."

The thoughts of her outing with Johan, still fresh in her mind, had made her lost in that moment. The energy she had running around, the excitement she experienced while at the zoo, and the warm feeling being close to Johan as it rained, it all gave her a serene feeling that calmed her down. A warm smile was developing on her face only to be squandered when she noticed both of Mitsy's hands, parallel in the same matter as before, going up and down her body. "Ladder,” Mitsy told Jenny who responded with a thumbs up, leaving Lucy perplexed once again.

"Looks aren't always everything,” Mitsy said to Jenny. “Besides, we can 'make up' what she lacks with makeup."

"Makeup?" Lucy uttered, "No, I'm not the kind to wear makeup."

"Oh dear," Mitsy said as she knelt down, "Are you okay honey? They're not abusing you, are they?"

"What makes you think from that?"

"How can a mother not encourage her daughter to wear makeup? No, it's your father, isn't it? You and your mother are forced to do his evil whims." She put her hand on Lucy's shoulder, "Lucy, you must call the police and turn your father in. It's the right thing to do."

“Because I don't want to wear makeup?”

"Yeah, Mom, knock it off," Jenny said, "Not everyone wants to wear makeup."

"Oh, that's right, little miss universe," her mother replied turning around, "It's about time I teach you how to apply makeup. Oh, I can't wait to buy you your first kit."

"Mom, I don't want to wear makeup."

"What? What are you saying? No daughter of mine would say such a thing. Are you really my daughter? Did the fairies took my daughter away and left me with a changeling."

"Mom, I don't want to wear makeup because I don't need it. My skin is so clear and smooth that I don't need any yet. Only when I get old will I need it for wrinkles."

"Aw, you almost got me," Mitsy ran up to Jenny to give her a hug, "Don't scare me like that, okay?"

Lucy could only stand in place, watching this strange pair before her perform an act she had in interest in watching. "Well, I don't want to wear any either," she said.

"But Lucy," Mitsy said turning her attention back to her. "On your date, you want to impress this boy, don't you?"

"He's plenty impressed when we hanged out."

"But this isn't just hanging out as friends, this is a date. Your first, I take it?"

"Uhh... yeah."

"All the more reason to be prepared. Honey, you can't leave things to chance, or you will lose him to some slut."

"No, he's not like that. He's a gentleman."

"A gentleman, huh? To think there are boys your age that would be acting in such a way."

"Mom," Jenny interrupts, "It's not a boy from our school. She's going to date an adult."

“An adult!?” Mitsy said concerned.

"Jenny, why did you say that?" Lucy interjected.

"No, no, no. Wait a minute now,” Mitsy said with a panic in her voice. “There are limits to these things. Jenny, I told you, you're too young to pursue older men right now. No sugar-daddy, remember?"

"I didn't do anything," Jenny said. "Lucy was already in love with him."

Mitsy looks over at Lucy, "Is this true?"

"Listen, Miss.... uhh... Mitsy, please."

"Lucy, I'm going to tell you what I told my daughter about dating older rich CEO's. You should not be a sugar-baby. You should have more respect, okay? Even strippers and whores have their limits."

"I am not that kind of person at all."

Jenny interjected. "Mom, Johan is not that old. He's in college."

"College? Wait, that sounds familiar."

“That's because she told you about him over the phone, remember? Some time ago?”

Mitsy's face lit up as she clasped her hands loudly. “Oh, that's right. You're seeing a college boy! I totally forgot about it. Oh, honey, college doesn't make you an adult. Don't confuse one term with another. Well, thank goodness. I thought you were dating some wrinkly millionaire who was old enough to be your grandfather. College student, yeah that sounds about right. Oh, they're so cute too, I definitely know what you can do to impress him. Jenny, did you show her the blouse that makes you look sexy? Maybe she can wear that."

Lucy was in awe at everything that had transpired ever since Jenny's mother came in, a feeling she didn't like. "Look, I thank you two for your help, but I don't think this is me. I don't want to wear something... sexy."

"Oh honey, why didn't you say so? In that case, let's give her something that's cute and stylish... and just a touch of sexiness."

As Mitsy continued to dig through Jenny's closet, Lucy responded, "No ma'am, I'm not interested in what you have to offer. I'm not like your daughter; I can't wear such things."

"How about this?" Mitsy said as she pulled out a particular blouse, one that got Lucy's attention.

It took a few moments of taking it in when Lucy eventually commented, "That may work..."

0