Chapter 53
12 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"You're clear to go," security said.

"I guess they're just being careful," Lucy told Johan as they headed toward the assigned auditorium.

"Or they don't want us sneaking in outside food," Johan remarked.

"I never understood that."

"That's how they make their money. Movie tickets alone don't cover the cost of the theater, so they charge you extra for the snacks and prohibit you from bringing your own."

"Overcharge? But..." she looked down at her large popcorn bucket.

"Don't worry about it. I changed my account so the limit on my card would be higher."

"Yeah but... I'm going to be honest, I feel kind of guilty having you spend so much on me."

"It's fine. I've been saving up but having nothing to spend the money on. I might as well have some fun."

Lucy smiled as she thought, 'Johan is so nice. I feel really bad about him spending so much on me, especially since he's so uncomfortable. I can still sense an awkward feeling coming from him. But I want him to be happy because he's given me so much joy. Johan, please be happy.'

After showing their tickets to the staff member at the entrance, they enter the dimly lit auditorium where they find their seats in the center. Lucy glanced around her, seeing a lot of couples sitting together, some with their arms across each other. 'I guess that's out of the question for us.' Another glance showed her a couple kissing, prompting her to turn away. 'That's definitely out of the question for us.' Looking around a bit more, she spotted a couple who noticed them and after a disproving look, turned their attention away. 'That's rude. Why is there always that one or two people who always do that.' Having had enough, she turned her attention toward Johan. Even though he was not showing any overt emotion, she could tell he was quite tense and uncomfortable. She noticed his hand had a slight tremble and placed hers on top of it. This prompted him to turn his head toward her direction.

“Just relax,” Lucy told Johan.

He slipped his hand away. “Maybe once the lights go off.” At that moment, the room darkened, and a relieving sigh emitted from Johan.

Once the movie began, Lucy began eating from the large bucket she was holding. She nudged Johan as she offered. "I thought you bought it so we could share," she whispered. He reached in and took a few pieces of popcorn only for her to place the bucket in his lap. "I'll leave you in charge of it." Johan gave a bit of an awkward smile and turned his attention back to the film. With a satisfied smile, she placed her attention back on the screen but from the corner of her eye saw the same woman as before now with a disgusted look before turning her back.

The movie continued with many fun moments that had everyone laughing. Even Johan joined in, giving him some well needed humor and giving Lucy relief in seeing him enjoying himself.

The tone of the movie shifted toward a dramatic scene where tension was rising as the female lead started an argument.

Todd, how long are you going to keep up this charade?”

What charade? What are you talking about?”

It's as clear as day. You don't love me, at all.”

What makes you say that? Aren't we on a date?”

A date you're being forced to go on.”

But you're the one who asked me out, Cheryl.”

I know that, but now I realize why you paused before you answered. You didn't want to go out with me, you wanted to decline, because you want to be Sarah.”

Sarah? No, she's just my friend.”

It's as clear as day. You want to be with her, so why not go for it. Besides, I think she likes you too.”

No, it's nothing like that. We're just friends. That's all she sees me as.”

Have you ever tried just being honest with her? I mean, have you ever actually asked her out, rather than assume she'll reject you?”

Can we please stop talking about Sarah? Besides, we're not on speaking terms right now, so there's no point in bringing this up.”

Alright, I get it. So, this is what you want, right? Then I guess we can kiss now.”

What?”

The female lead leaned in close and pressed her lips against his causing him to immediately back away.

What are you doing!?”

Oh, is this your first kiss?”

He wipes his lips. “It won't come off. It won't come off!”

Hey, calm down now. Don't act crazy.”

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE! You stole my first kiss! That was for Sarah!”

The scene ended with him running off into the distance.

It was quite an emotional display that it impacted Lucy, being quite a powerful scene for her, but none more so than Johan who she noticed was more invested than any other moment that came before.

The movie continued as it escalated to both the characters being regretful of their actions. This leads toward the climax during a rainy night at a train station when Todd realizes Sarah was moving away to another state. As he stood in the platform watching the last train disappear into the distance, he gets on his knees regretting never telling her how he felt about her and how he'll never see her again. But to his surprise, she appeared behind him. They hug and kiss and declare their love to each other.

The movie ends with their wedding as Sarah asked him about his first kiss with Cheryl, to which he replies, “Oh that? That wasn't my first kiss. That was a 'zero' kiss,” followed by the words The End appearing on screen.

As the credits roll, the lights turn on and all guests get off their seats, all except for Johan as it took him a moment before he looked toward his hand and saw that he was holding on to Lucy's, prompting him to immediately pull it away. “How long...”

Lucy, while giggling, “Since halfway through the movie.”

His face would've turned red had he not had the foresight to regain his posture.

Exiting the auditorium and heading toward the exit, "I almost felt like crying by the end," Lucy commented. "I love happy endings."

"Yeah," Johan said, "It was a pretty good movie."

"So you liked it?"

"It was great. I had some good laughs."

"But what about the ending?"

"Well, it was a nice ending, but I kind of saw it coming to be honest. These movies always end with the couple being together. The typical fairy tale ending."

"Well, sometimes, the best endings are the ones you are expecting, at least that's what I think.”

“Well, as cliche as it was, I must admit, I'm happy for them.”

“So, do you want to get something to eat now?"

"Yeah, sure."

"Do you want me to pay this time?"

"No. I'll pay."

"But I don't want you wasting your money."

"I told you. I'm not wasting money. Besides, I'm a man. I should be paying for the d-" He stutters his voice before he continued. "I'll pay, okay? Don't worry about me. Besides, I'm an adult. I should be the one to pay."

"Well, okay..."

They exited the building when Lucy took his hand, surprising Johan once again. His instincts to remove his hand from hers nearly kicked in, his mouth opening, about to remind her of his discomfort. But a great feeling of euphoria had emanated within him. A splendid feeling of joy and warmth that simply made him want to grip her hand. All he could do was smile as they continued toward his car, hand in hand.

Lucy was content as she leaned close to him. She could feel his heart beating, causing hers to beat as well. But there was no anxiety from the rhythm. It was a soothing heartbeat carrying away their worries. At least until she looked ahead and saw the same couple from the theater, where the woman was pointing at them as they said something to each other. Lucy could not hear but could tell by their offended and dramatic gestures that they were not kind words. As Lucy and Johan reached his car, the woman turned her head and eyed Lucy straight on. With a scowl on her face, the woman got on inside the passenger side seat of the vehicle before Lucy entered the passenger side of Johan's car.

0