Chapter 56
6 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Why Johan, how about that? Bumping into you like this in front of the store?"

"Sure, Margaret, of course.”

"Wow, you're in a good mood today, Johan."

"Why not? After all, it's a beautiful Sunday, isn't it? The sun is out, it's bright and beautiful, why should I be despondent over a text message?"

"You're doing so much better, aren't you? Last time we met you were a wreck, but now you're all good."

"Forget about the past. It's all about the future now."

"You're so full of life. But tell me why the positivity all of sudden?"

"I just want to move on with my life, to look forward to new and exciting things."

"Hold on there, I know what's going on. Come on, we both know what makes a man smile like this?"

"And what do you suppose that is?"

"Johan, don't try to pull anything on me. I know why you are so jolly." She leaned in close. "Did you and your girlfriend make up?"

A shock to his system made him jolt in place but no sooner than it happened, he returned to smiling. "I suppose you'll mention Lucy. Well, you don't have to bother anymore. There is nothing between us anymore. I put away my childish whims. I am now an adult, I don't need to play these kinds of games."

"Mind elaborating on what that means? After all, you were pining for her for so long, weren't you?"

"Margaret, I am not interested in Lucy or anything of the kind anymore. I am a new man now, one who looks forward, not back."

"No way. I refuse to believe that."

"Why is that?"

"A person in love does not just easily give up the things they desire."

Johan cleared his throat, "Desire is such a strong word. I would call it a mere fancy."

"Mere fancy? Is that how you put it?"

"In any case, Lucy is no more to me. I won't be seeing her anymore. It's not right."

"You must be serious, but I still won't accept that you simply cut her off."

"You don't even know Lucy."

"But she's a woman right?"

“Well, that depends on how you define a woman."

"Okay, I'll put it bluntly. If you are over her, then you are single now, right? Unless you found someone else."

"I'm still single. But I do plan on... uhh... dating women... for sure. Just waiting for the right time."

"And when will the 'right time' be?"

"I've been thinking about it since yesterday and realized that I'm not being social enough. I've pushed away people due to my inner isolation. I figured that was damaging me. I decided that this time I will be more outgoing, more friendly, more social, so I will be making new friends and... uhh... dating women."

"Is that so?"

"Yes."

"Really?"

"Yes."

"Really!?"

"Margaret, you're sounding like Wendy right now."

"Alright then. Let's put your new outlook on life to the test. You have to go out with me."

Johan laughed, "Again, huh? Well, Margaret, I tip my hat off to your persistence."

"Still rejecting me?"

"I just explained myself. I'm trying to become more social now. I need time to get used to this."

"Johan, enough. If you are really trying to move on with your life, and you do want to start dating women, well here's your chance."

"Don't confuse my decision with eagerness. I'm not desperate. I'm just trying to figure out who I am and find my way in this world. How do I fit into society, that's the question I'm asking right now. I can't just jump into it all devil-may-care."

"Or you still love Lucy."

A disgruntled grunt escapes him, "She is not in the picture anymore."

“So you really did break up?”

“Well... that matter has yet to be... uhh... attended to. But yes, I will be the one to be breaking up with her.“

"Well then, in that case.” Margaret rummaged through her bag and pulled out a business card. “When you break up with her, call me tonight and take me out to dinner."

"Margaret, will you please-"

"If you are serious about this plan of yours, you will agree. I know I'm being pushy, that's just who I am. After all, I've been chasing you since I laid eyes on you. I really like you, Johan. Do you understand what it means for someone to like you only to be rejected time and time again and have their heart crack every time?"

"No."

Margaret scoffed, "Of course you don't, you've been an introvert for too long. Then let me put it this way, think about how Lucy is going to feel once you break up with her."

"Please stop mentioning her."

"Whoever she is, and whatever reason you have to break up, I want you to pay attention to how she feels. I'm not going to assume that Lucy deserves to have her heart broken, nor do I believe that she doesn't. For all I know, you are the one who is going to end up heartbroken and she's probably going out with some other guy anyway. I just want you to pay attention when that happens, okay? And once you realize what I mean, then call me up and take me out to dinner. That will be the deciding factor."

“Deciding factor for what?”

“If you really are over Lucy, then I will hear confidence in your voice. If you end up being heartbroken, I will hear sadness in your voice. If you have regret over your decision, I will hear despondency in your voice. And if you never went along with it, and Lucy is your soul mate, then I won't hear your voice at all. To the winner go the spoils, after all.“

“What is this? Are you playing a game with me as a pawn?”

“Exactly. This is all a game and we're all playing it, regardless of whether we wanted to or not, and I intend to win.”

“Margaret, stop playing these childish games. Not even Lucy would do that.”

“Lucy knows the game.”

“You don't know her.”

“But she's still a woman, right? Women vary from person to person, but deep down, we all know who we are. Some will deny it, and others will be prideful, but in the end, women are women, no matter who they are. You, despite being a gentleman, are also a fool for believing otherwise. Trust me when I tell you that Lucy is no different than me or any other woman.”

She placed her hand on his chest along with the business card. Smoothly caressing him before walking past him as he grabbed hold of the card. Once she is a distance away, Johan pulled out his phone to read the text message that was left for him:

Johan, can we meet today at the train station? I need to talk to you.

He clenches his phone and the card, took a deep breath, and entered the store.

0