Chapter 59
7 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

When the elevator door opened, she immediately stormed right up to her father's apartment, knocking it with a strong sense of determination.

As soon as the door opened, "Lucy?"

"I need to talk to you."

"Lucy, why didn't you call before coming? I told you to make an appointment before visiting."

"This is an emergency."

"An emergency without a phone call?"

"Dad, I'm serious."

“Lucy, you're supposed to refer to me as Sir.”

“DAD!”

The loud shout was so powerful that it shook him briefly. That was when he noticed the serious expression on her face. "Come inside." Entering his apartment, Lucy was welcomed to a disarray of clothes and paperwork strewn about the environment. "I haven't had the chance to unpack yet as I have some paperwork to do, but I'll give you a moment of my time." He took his seat on the couch and signaled for her to do the same, yet she remained standing firmly. "So, you have something to tell me."

She stared at his eyes, so cold and distant, but with eagerness peering through. "Dad, I really want to talk to you."

"Yes, do tell me. I'm all ears."

"I want to move in with you."

Her father sighed. "Finally. It's about time you said that."

"Do you mean it?” Lucy said with relief. “Is that all I had to do was just ask?"

"Of course."

He got up to his feet and she could not help herself as she started walking towards him. She raised her arms to embrace her father only to be passed by as he went to a drawer and pulled out a few sheets of paper. "Sign this," he said as he handed them to her.

Upon grabbing the sheets, the header caught her attention. "Partnership agreement?"

"It's all legal matters, things you don't know yet but don't worry, you eventually will."

"Is this why you are excited? Business?"

"Of course. Lucy, I have nothing against your mother, but I believe she's a bad influence. I know it comes as a shock, but there's a reason why we are in the middle of a divorce. Now that you have finally realized who she truly is, I'd like to formally welcome you to the company. Don't worry about the custody situation. I'll deal with that personally."

"No."

"No? But you just said you wanted to live here."

"Not that. Dad, I didn't come here to agree to be your employee."

"What employee? You're being a partner. You're owning a portion of the company."

"No, dad. I didn't come here to be your business partner, I came here to be your daughter."

"You already are my daughter."

"Am I? Because I don't feel like your daughter. I feel more like a stranger when I come here."

"Don't say such crazy things. Who has given you such an idea?"

"This is your doing, Dad. When was the last time we did anything together?"

"What are you on about?"

Lucy shook her head, "And Johan wanted me to talk to you seriously? You're impossible to talk to unless it's about money."

"I'm asking you again, what are you talking about?"

"Dad, I want to have a real father-daughter relationship because all my life, I feel like I'm nothing to you or Mom or anyone else in our family."

"A real... what... Lucy, you're confusing me."

"Confusing? I'm literally saying it as it is!"

"Why are you angry? I thought you came here because you finally realized the advantageous situation you are in."

"To be a soulless worker for my own dad!? All you see me as nothing but another grunt for your stupid company."

"Lucy, that's enough. How dare you talk about the company like this. This company bought you your clothes and accessories. If it wasn't for this company, you wouldn't even be standing in this luxury apartment, let alone have a chance to live in it."

"Forget the apartment! Forget the clothes! I don't want them if this is the only reason why you bought them for me."

"So you're not going to sign the papers?"

"No, and I never will!"

"Then you are wasting my time and yours. Unless you're going to finally come to your senses, I don't think you should just barge in here."

"Why should I care about how you feel? I know you don't care about me. You don't care about me at all!"

"Don't you dare yell at me. I'm your father."

"Not anymore! As far as I'm concerned, you have no feelings for me either! All you care about is your stupid company and your stupid bank account."

"Is that so? In that case, you can forget about any gifts or necessities from me! Until you agree to my terms, you'll just have to have that woman you call your mother to provide for you, and I know for a fact she won't do anything for anyone but herself. She's so selfish. I can't believe I had to marry that terrible woman. I wish I never went along with this stupid plan."

"What are you talking about, Dad?"

"I never wanted to marry her, but your grandfather was making a business deal with another large company. I had to marry that witch in order for this company to thrive, but she was the worse person I have ever met. Ever since we separated, my father has refused to talk to me, telling me that the merger dispersed, and he had lost millions, but I don't care. That woman, I can't stand her." He finally snapped out of the temporary fever dream to find Lucy shocked. "I'm sorry, I got lost in my own thoughts."

"I see..." Lucy responded somberly.

"In any case, I got to get back to my work."

"Dad...”

"Lucy, I thought I told you that I don't have time for games."

"Dad, I'm sorry."

"Sorry for what?"

"About what happened to you."

"Don't concern yourself about it."

"Can you please tell me? Tell me all about it. Maybe it'll make you feel better."

"This is not something for kids to listen to."

"Dad, you treat me like an adult all the time. Why am I now a kid?"

Her father paused for a bit before, "Yes, you're old enough now. I know people keep saying that you're too young, but this can be the start of your journey into adulthood, but it has to start now."

"Enough of the pitches, Dad. I'm not an employee, I'm your daughter. Just talk to me like a normal person."

"Lucy, have you been listening to me at all? I thought I made myself clear for some time."

"And have you been listening to me at all? Even when I tell you straight to your face, you don't seem to understand what I'm trying to tell you. It's like we're talking to each other in two completely different languages. Why is it so cryptic to understand that I just want to be your daughter?"

"I never said you weren't."

"Then can you tell me that you love me?"

"What is this?"

"Just say that you love me. That you love me very much."

"Love? Lucy... what... what are you-"

"Just tell me that you love me!" A perplexed look was on Norman's face as he started looking around his surroundings, a luxury apartment in a disarray of clothes, open luggage, and paperwork.

“Lucy, I really must return to work.”

"You can't say it, can you? I can't believe you! You're supposed to be my dad!"

"I... I've... Lucy..."

"Everything is now starting to be clear. No wonder you have been so cold to me. You have no love to give. Neither you, mom, or Johan. Nobody cares about me!"

"Johan? Whose Johan?"

"The guy I was dating."

"Dating? You're dating?"

"Only once. I went out with a college guy."

"College guy!?"

"But even he didn't care about me. Even he pushed me away. Nobody loves me. NOBODY!" With that declaration, Lucy stormed out of her apartment.

--

"Oh, Lucy,” Carry said seeing Lucy sulking on the couch. “I'm only here because I forgot my ID. Just order something or make something for yourself. Maybe I'll bring something but don't bet on it."

Upon finding her ID card, she headed back towards the door only to find Lucy blocking the way. With tears in her eyes and a quiver in her voice, she demands, "Mom, stay."

"What?"

"Stay home tonight. Let's watch a movie together. Let's talk. Let's do anything!"

"Lucy, I have to go."

"Don't go!" Lucy said as she hugged her mother. "Stay with me. Or let's go out and do something together. Anything, I don't care."

"Lucy, get off of me this instant."

"No! I refuse!"

"Lucy stop this! You're acting like a little kid!"

Those piercing words forced her to unlatch herself from her mother and step back. "Me? I'm acting like a little kid? What about you? You're always going out, looking for some rich guy, drinking all night, and coming home drunk. You keep telling me to make myself something as if you ever come home to actually cook anything."

"Lucy, what has gotten into you?"

"And what is the matter with you!? Why are you like this? Why are you so irresponsible? You're an adult! Why don't you act like one!?"

"Lucy, how dare you yell at me like this. I'm your mother."

"As if you care. You don't care about me. In fact, I don't even know if you care about yourself! Always going out with some creepy guy every night, and bringing them home!"

"Lucy, that's enough."

"That's right, I've had enough. I've had enough of you ignoring me!"

"We'll talk about this later, okay?"

"After or while you're still drunk?"

"Lucy, how dare you talk to me like this!"

"Then let's talk about it. Let's sit down and have a conversation!"

"Oh, we will! We're going to have a serious talk about this... after I come back." Carry proceeded to bypass her daughter but Lucy would not give up as she grabbed her mother by the arm. Carry tugs but Lucy would not relent. "Lucy, let go of me right now!"

"No! Don't leave! Don't leave me, please!"

"Lucy, I've had enough!"

"If you leave now, you may never see me again!"

"I've had enough!" She takes her other hand and slapped Lucy on the face with a force strong enough that Lucy fell onto the floor. The sobbing from her daughter was now starting to intensify as the tears were becoming a stream, so much so that when Carry looked at her hand, she noticed a few drops of her daughter's tears on them.

After wiping her hand on her blouse, "Just leave me alone, okay? You don't understand me. Nobody does,” and exited the apartment.

Feeling completely destroyed, Lucy sat on the ground, wiping the stream of never-ending tears. "Nobody loves me. Nobody cares about me. I'm truly alone."

In her sadness, the cold world she was thrust upon was now disillusioning to a hot and violent storm of anger and vengeful spite.

She got up on her feet and headed to her room, grabbed a duffle bag, and started stuffing clothing, her phone, and laptop. "If nobody cares about me, then I don't care about anyone either. I'm just going to live all by myself. I don't care about this stupid family anymore. I'm leaving and never coming back."

0