Chapter 64
5 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Oh, this is amazing!" Margaret said as they entered the amusement park. "We're gonna have so much fun here."

Seeing the vibrant lights, the roller coaster that winded around the area, the stalls with all assortments of snacks, and all the people having a good time, "Yeah..." Johan commented. "I should have a good time here. Let's have a good time."

"Then let's go."

"What do you want to do first?"

"How about we ride the roller coaster?"

"Now? But it's dark. It's kind of dangerous, isn't it? Besides, we just ate. We could get sick and throw up."

Margaret chuckled. "Johan, you're always worrying. Why not just let yourself loose every once in a while."

"I'm just making observations, that's all."

"Stop worrying so much." She pulled him forward, "Let's just go and check it out."

They arrived at the roller coaster but the attendant was already locking up the gate. "Sorry but the weather's looking pretty bad right now. Safety precautions, you know."

"Is that so?" Johan said as he looked up, seeing the clouds becoming dense in the night sky. "Looks like it's going to rain."

"But there were no reports of rain tonight," Margaret commented. "Where is this coming from?"

"Let me check the weather report quickly."

After a few moments of fiddling with his phone, "It says it's going to be windy and there's a 30% chance of rain."

"Does that mean they're going to close the carnival early?"

"Perhaps we should take our leave."

"No. Let's just stay until they announce the closure."

"But what if it's too late? What if it starts to rain? We're going to end up soaked if we're not careful."

"There you go again, Johan. So what if it starts to rain? We'll deal with it when it happens."

"You like to live dangerously, don't you?"

"The things I've done before don't compare to running in the rain."

Johan laughed a bit. "I guess. Well then, let's continue."

As they walked around the pier, Johan thought to himself, 'Maybe this isn't so bad. I'm kind of enjoying myself, and Margaret is a pretty interesting person. I wonder why I never thought of her like this?'

Margaret eventually spotted a food cart. "Oh look, popcorn. Buy me some, Johan."

"But we just ate earlier."

"Johan..."

"Alright, I get it." They approached the cart when Johan noticed the name on the side. "Pop Magic? Wait a minute, is this part of that new popcorn franchise?"

"Oh yes," the popcorn man said, "We have some of the same flavors as they are in the shop."

"Oh, there's a menu!" Margaret commented as she perused the panel hanging above. "This is interesting. I never heard of something like this."

"There are only a few recipes here," the popcorn man said, "but the shop has many more."

"And these are already so interesting. But I already ate, so maybe something light instead." Johan grabbed Margaret by the hand and dragged her away. "What's going on?" she asked confused.

"I... I started feeling... sick. I already ate, that must be it. I can't stomach it."

"Oh, I see," Margaret responded. "Well, then I'll buy something for myself."

She turned around but Johan tugged her once again, "You're just going to make me... please, let's not get snacks, or at least not popcorn. How about ice cream instead? There's another cart just nearby.”

"Okay, I guess that's fine."

They continued their exploration of the amusement park and as they took part in some of the attractions, an announcement was heard over the speakerphone. "ATTENTION ALL GUESTS. SUNLIGHT AMUSEMENT IS CLOSING EARLY DUE TO THE CHANGE IN WEATHER. PLEASE PROCEED TO EXIT THE GROUNDS AND THANK YOU FOR VISITING US TONIGHT. PLEASE CHECK OUT THE SUNLIGHT SHOPPING CENTER AS MORE ENJOYMENT CAN BE FOUND THERE."

"It was bound to happen," Johan said. "I guess it's officially over."

"What's over?"

"Didn't you hear the announcement? We can't stay here."

"But they said to take our business to the shopping center."

“Oh... right.”

They exit the area and as soon as they pass the entrance sign, drops of rain started to hit the back of their heads. "Well, here we go," Margaret said excitedly.

"And we better go quickly."

"I'll do you one better. Let's race."

"I don't think that's safe."

"There you go again, Johan, overthinking things."

Both took off as the rain began to become denser. Margaret shouted with excitement as they raced towards the shopping center. With her arms raised and her legs kicking playfully, it seemed more like she was prancing rather than running. Johan, on the other hand, was in full sprint mode as he put all his energy into reaching his destination. When he looked around and noticed Margaret was nowhere near her, he ran back to her.

“Sorry. Come on before we get soaked.”

Holding her hand, Johan was sprinting while trying to keep up with her pace. “It won't be long now. Just hold on for a few more-”

"Johan, where are you going?" he heard her shout from afar.

Johan stopped in his tracks as he noticed his hand was empty. He turned his attention further away from him seeing Margaret standing on top of a set of stairs with one hand above her head and the other pointing towards a building. "The shopping area is this way." Before he had a chance to figure out what had happened, Margaret ran towards him and grabbed his hand. "Come on, it's starting to pour."

Going up the stairs and entering the large doors into the musty entrance area, Margaret said, "Well, we escaped the worse of it but we're practically damp."

"Right. I would've been bad if we were soaked."

"Wouldn't want to walk around with wet socks all night, huh?"

"Yeah, ha ha..." Johan replied somberly.

After buying a pair of towels to dry themselves with, they began to walk around the shopping area. Margaret minded herself with window shopping, looking at all the stores and their wares, while Johan was preoccupied with his own thoughts. 'Maybe it was a bad idea to come to the beach. No, I'm just letting my feelings take over. I have to remember that I'm putting my past behind me. Doesn't matter how many times I've come here, that's all behind me now. I'm starting a new life, perhaps with Margaret. I should be more respectful. I bet I'm acting like a fool in front of her. I have to clear my mind and just enjoy myself.'

"Oh look," Margaret interrupted his thoughts. "This is perfect."

Johan surmised that she was pointing at an umbrella in a box outside one of the stores. "It is raining right now, and I did leave my umbrella at the car. The umbrella I bought when I went to the zoo with..." He shook his head. "If you want the umbrella, go ahead and-" before he could finish, he realized that Margaret was nowhere near him.

"Johan, over here," she called out to him now wearing a hat. "What do you think?"

"Where... where did you get that?"

"Once I spotted this, I knew I had to get it. Look at how wide the brim is."

"No, not that hat."

"Oh no, not this time. I'm going to buy it, Johan."

"No, please. Put that hat away."

"Oh, look at this!" A plastic flower caught her eye as she took it and placed it in her right ear. "If it wasn't raining, it'd be perfect as beachwear. Don't you think?"

"Margaret, please, put that hat down. Don't buy it."

"No no no, Johan. I told you, not this time. You've been restricting me lately. Won't buy me popcorn and not make plans after dinner. This time, I'm treating myself."

He forcefully grabbed the hat from her. "Not this hat."

"Johan, what are you doing?"

Followed by pulling out the flower from her ear. "Knock it off, Margaret."

"Knock what off? I was just putting on a hat."

"You can't buy that hat. Just leave it here."

He put the hat back in the rack, only for her to pick it up again. "There's nothing wrong with this hat, and I don't care if you have a problem with me wearing it. I'm going to buy it, no matter what you say. I'm taking it to the counter right now."

"Give me that hat!" Johan snatched the hat but Margaret refused to let go.

"Johan, what is up with you? You're acting like a little kid."

"I don't want to see that hat at all!"

"Johan, stop it. You're making a scene."

"This hat... just don't buy it."

"Why not? What is it about this hat that is bothering you?"

"Because I was thinking of buying it for her, that's what! Lucy wants this hat and I want to-" The tugging instantly stopped and his grip loosened. "Oh my gosh..." Not another word was uttered as he stepped out of the shop and into the main corridor.

Stumbling out of the store, nearly tripping himself, he managed to find his balance as he leaned against a nearby pillar.

"Why?” he said to himself. “Why can't I forget about her? Why can't I just move on with my life!? Just leave me alone! This was a mistake. I should've never come to this beach. I should've just... just... I don't know. I don't know."

Clenching his fist and exhaling as he gritted his teeth, he stood upright and turned around to see Margaret looking at him confused.

Straightening his shirt, with a smile on his face, "Sorry about that. I just thought it looked rather silly on you. I was saving you the embarrassment. But hey, if you want to embarrass yourself..." A disgruntled look had appeared on Margaret's face. Despite this, he continued, "You know, how about we just call it a night, you know? I'm getting kind of stressed, you know. I mean, midterms are coming up. I really should get to-"

"Midterms are over, Johan.."

"Oh, really? Wow, time sure does fly by fast, you know. But still, we have school tomorrow, don't we? As much fun as we're having, we shouldn't neglect our studies, you know. You know?"

"Johan..."

"Yes, Margaret?"

"Knock it off."

"What do you mean?"

"The whole charade. You're faking all this."

"No, no. You're misinterpreting things. I'm having a good time. It's just that, I'm a bit uptight. That's just the kind of man I am. I mean, if you don't want to... date... a man like me, then maybe this isn't going to work out then."

"Or is it that you still love Lucy?"

A brief display of discomfort was on him before he quickly replaced it with a smile. "Lucy is in the past. I'm looking forward to the future."

"Johan, you miss Lucy, don't you?"

"No. Of course not. Why would I? She's just a child... as in... uhh... personality wise... which isn't necessarily true in her case. But still, you know, maturity is a completely different subject. That's it, right?"

"Johan, did Lucy dump you?"

"Dump? That would insinuate that we were in a relationship and that she ended it. There was no such thing at all to begin with. Nothing at all of the kind."

"But you still have feelings for her."

"Margaret, why are we bringing up a person you hardly know? She's nothing to me. Nothing at all. I'm a good person you know. I don't break the law. I would never think of doing something crazy that was totally inappropriate."

"You're rambling now. I have no idea what you are going on about. What is going on with you? Are you having a breakdown?"

"No, I'm fine. I'm fine, really!"

"You don't look fine. You look like you're about to break into a million pieces."

"Margaret, I'm okay. I'm just stressed out a bit. I mean, this is my first time being on a... a..."

"A date."

"Yeah, that. You know, I'm just... just trying to... move along... and..."

She could see his body shaking, his eyes with a serious expression on them, and the smile he was projecting was now becoming unnerving to her. "Johan, I don't want to pry into your business, but I think you better tell me what's going on."

"Margaret, trust me. I'm just nervous that's all. You know me, I'm shy. Very shy."

"I don't know who this Lucy is but it's clear that you are in love with her."

"Why are you bringing her up again? You don't even know her. Stop assuming things, okay? I'm a good person. I wouldn't do anything bad or disgusting, as you put it. I'm not in love with anyone. Not even you, okay?"

"So you're not in love with this Lucy girl?"

"No."

"Then why are you crying?"

It took him a moment before he raised his arm to touch his face to feel the cold and wet presence of tears. "No, that's just rain...." he said with a quiver as he sloppily walks over to the pillar to support himself. “It's just the rain... that she so loved to run into.”

0