Chapter 67
5 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“You turned off your brain?” Lucy asked confused.

“That's how she said it,” Johan replied. “I don't know what I did but apparently it seemed to work, though I feel I was quite reckless in doing so.”

“I figured after everything you did to get here. You're completely soaked, you could've caught a cold.”

“That's why I have the car heater on at full blast. I'll be parked here for some time since I can't drive with it on this high of a setting, but I'd rather not drive with wet socks on anyway."

Lucy looked at the back of the car seeing her sweater damped but not as drenched as Johan's blazer sitting right next to it. Being so close to the heater, Johan's shirt was beginning to dry out while his pants would require far more time. She rubbed her arm, feeling her shirt hardly touched by the rain. “So what happens next?” She asked.

Johan stared at lights from outside permeating the fogged windshield for a moment before answering, “I don't know myself. This is a queer situation we've gotten ourselves into. But considering everything we've gone through, all the pain, the sorrow, the idea of being neglected by those we trusted and love, it surely is an experience to finally be ourselves, even if it is a private matter. But as I said before, I regret everything I have done up to this point. I felt like I was not allowed to be myself due to the circumstances, but in the end, I was just playing the role of the jester for everyone else. At least that's how it feels. I'd like to think my friends meant well, but at this point, I really don't know who to trust anymore.”

“But you have friends, right?”

“I guess, but I can't talk to them, at least not anymore. I tried to, but it always ended up with them leaving me. That's why I stopped making friends. What few I had left either left me eventually or are about to. I guess this is my life now.”

As Johan was in thought, he unknowingly placed his hand on the gear shift which was followed by Lucy placing hers on top of his. He turned his head to find her smiling. “You can always talk to me. I'll listen to any problems you have. I won't judge you. Just as I can talk to you because I know you'll understand what I'm going through.”

Johan placed his other hand on top of hers. “Thank you, Lucy.”

“But, Johan,” she removed her hand. “What does this make of us? Are we officially a couple?”

Johan took a moment to breathe before answering, “I know we've reconciled but a decision hasn't been made. I confessed my love for you but that doesn't make it official. I want to be with you forever, never to leave you again, but I can't just make this decision on a whim. I know at least that much. We're going to have to think about this.”

“We? But I already-”

“No, Lucy. You can't just make this decision right now, especially after all we've been through. But let's not worry about this for the time being. Our clothes should be dry enough. How about we just go home tonight? I could use some rest after all this madness.”

“Going home to an empty apartment doesn't sound like a good idea to me.”

“In that case, would you like me to accompany you?”

“You would?”

“Of course. I told you, I'm never going to let feel sorrow ever again. I don't want you to return to a cold and isolated home. I'll go with you and even stay with you all night if you want.”

Lucy nodded and smiled. “I would like that.”

Johan turned down the heat and wiped the foggy windows with his hand. Lucy did the same for hers revealing the rain's intensity now decreasing. It was clear enough to notice a frantic man running around in the parking lot.

Both of them looked at each other with confusion. “He must be quite crazy to be out in the right like this. I bet that's what I look like when I turn off my brain. I don't think I'll be turning it off any time soon.” Lucy chuckled as he turned on the headlights. This got the crazed man's attention who turned to them.

“Oh, he saw us. We better go before he comes here and-”

“Dad?” Lucy uttered. She leaned in close but eventually unlocked the door and stepped outside.

“Dad, is that you?”

“Lucy?” Said the man blinded by the lights.

“It is you!”

Johan turned off the lights and when the man got his eyesight back, the first thing he saw was Lucy standing next to a car he did not recognize. “Lucy?” His eyes darted to the other side where Johan was standing. “Lucy, get away from that car.”

“Dad, what are you doing here?”

“What are you doing to my daughter?” Norman said as he walked towards Johan.

“Hold on, Sir. There's been a misunderstanding,” said Johan.

“You better let her go right now!”

“Wait, hear me out...” But before he could say another word, Norman's fist flew right into his face.

0