Chapter 2: “The consequences.”
27 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

He charges toward me at full strength, with only a few seconds to think, I need to make more time. I reach into my pouch and grab the two smoke bombs. He charges forward still only a few feet away now. “Maybe the Heavens do favor me.” I light a Qi flair and throw it behind me, since he's a Jade he can sense Qi, but he won't be able to discern mine.

I can hear Gon choking on the smoke, with him distracted I duck into the smoke with him. Soon enough I feel him rush past me towards the flair. It isn’t over yet but this should buy me enough time.

“Where did you go barrier ninja.” I can still hear him choking on his words. “That’s all you are, but today I will make it all you were.” His tone has become angry, probably because I’ve given him this much trouble. A Jade getting tricked by a gold.

I being to fumble with my vest fasteners, finally dropping it to the ground. ‘Few more seconds.’ I remind myself. I start taking my shirt off to reveal a 5 finger seal, usually these are used for sealing spirits. I bring my hands together into the crow sign. This is a sign most commonly used by the sealing ninja.

As if time has stopped, my surroundings freeze. Not long after that, it all begins to fade to darkness, and from the darkness emerges a cage. Inside of the cage hums a green aura. “It works.” My voice sounds like a distant echo—the sound drones on behind me for what seems like infinity.

I drift closer to the cage door and hover my hand over the seal. Hesitance besets me, leaving me unsure of my technique.

“Where are you!” Gon’s voice cracks like thunder across this infinite chamber. Time has run out.

I pinch the edge of that paper seal and rip it off the gate. A heavenly wind blasts the door open and me onto the floor. With an unceremonious jolt, I am brought back to reality. Power like this is alien to me, it feels like my muscles are made of stone. The world begins to take on new colors as the smoke clears. “It feels like a cultivation breakthrough.”

“There you ar—“ His words caught in his throat. “How are yo—“ I took a step forward, but found myself 20 feet closer to him. His panicked eyes meet mine. His body tenses again and he swings his blade to slash my stomach.

A loud cracking noise booms through the air. I look down and see that I had already punched him, steam flowing from my fist. I glance up to see the damage done. Embedded inside the tree is Gon, a gaping hole in his chest. Unto the ground, his blood flows like water.

“This power.” I start mumbling like a mad man. “If I can just find a way to only parti—“ MY body seizes up and the World’s colors dim.

///

As I awake a familiar ceiling came into view. This is the infirmary, due to my training it's a place I know well. This time is worse. My whole body from head to toe feels like it's being stabbed by a thousand needles. I slowly crane my neck to take a look at myself. Bandages cover most of my body.

“What the hell were you thinking, Dani?” That voice belongs to my best friend Anya. She is sitting in a chair at my bedside with a fiery expression. “Since you survived I might just kill you myself!”

“Hi Any—“ She grabbed me by the collar of my shirt. Every part of my body is crying out in pain. “Anya please.”

She lets go and sighs. “Sorry, it's just—“ She sits back down in the chair and crosses her legs. Her Long silver ponytail flows behind her, It looks ethereal in the summertime sun creeping in through the curtains. “That was stupid. You knew that technique wasn’t ready.”

Anya is the only person I’ve told about the technique. “Do the Elders know?”

She sighs. “Luckily for you, I was the one who noticed the flare first.” She leans over and examines me closer. “I also could sense the power miles away.” She takes on a worried expression. “You defeated a Jade.”

“Yeah, it's quite unlucky that his information was outdated.” I force my face into a grin.

“You’re lucky it didn’t kill you. The amount of damage you did makes me think you stepped above Jade.” Her eyes remained sullen with worry. She began fidgeting with the jade badge on her vest.

“Too bad it's not permanent, huh?” My attempt at lightening the mood fails.

“It’s not a joke Dani—“ A knock at the door interrupts her.

“May I come in?” An older-sounding man’s voice comes from the other side of the door. It’s not familiar to me.

“Come in.”

A small older man enters the room. Across his left eye was a hideous battle scar, probably from the last great war. “How is your recovery?” His voice seems genuine, despite me not even knowing who he is.

Anya jumps out of her chair and stands at attention. “Greeting General Rahd!”

My heart jumps down my throat as I fumble to answer the question. “I just woke up General Rahd.” A war hero I’ve only heard stories about is visiting me.

“Good cause I have a mission for you.” He turns to Anya. “Tell a nurse that I need him healed imminently, now that he's awake.”

“Yes sir!” She marches out of the room, shooting a confused glance back at me.

“As for you Dani, I will arrange a spirit tea ceremony to guide you into the Gold Realm.” His tone was serious, I can tell something heavy is weighing his mind.

“Sir, I apologize, but I can’t use ranged techniques.”

“Then you will learn other techniques, of course, we both know you’ve found a new one already.” He flashes a grin at me. “ You need to master that power you unleashed a week ago, we are going to need it.” He pushes a finger to his lips. “No need to worry I am the only person who knows your secret young master.”

Thanks for reading! Come check out my writing and reader community here! 

3