1. Ruins of Genesis – 1
220 1 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Where did my career as a traveling merchant start? Like every blank protagonist, it all began in a peaceful and humble village.

 

"Wake up! Hey, kid!"

 

I was sleepy at the time and his slap is so painful my cheeks got reddish.

 

"Sorry, I was waking you all this time but you're still asleep. Anyways, I want to ask you simple questions."

In front of me is a simple-looking guard with an emblem of a red lion and a black castle. He's deeply staring into my eyes to the point that I'm terrified.

"... Who are you?" I responded with hesitation in my mind.

"It's okay, then. Do you have friends?" The guard then responded with complete ignorance of my question.

"... No."

"Eh, parents?"

"None either."

"Good. I needed a character who has no relation to the material world. Last question, are you a fast learner?" Material World? Character?

"Ah, why would-"

"It's a yes, then. Listen NPC, you have unusually higher intelligence stats compared to an average person and a blank background. You are perfect."

...He should have let me finish.

The stranger then closed his eyes, fixed his posture, and deepened his tone.

"Are you interested in becoming a traveling merchant?"

"Travelling merchant?"

"Yes. They are mysterious existences in video games that sell better items compared to ordinary merchants. However, they appear and disappear randomly, giving players a sense of surprise mechanics."

I thought deeply as to whether to accept his proposal or not.

"About this-"

"Great, you agreed to be a traveling merchant. You won't regret this. First, I'll give you admin privileges."

He then tapped the air multiple times...

"Do you feel anything?"

"... No."

"Hmm, okay. You should no longer age. This way, you'll be forever 19 years old! Do you have questions?"

"I didn't tell you my age-"

"Nothing? Nice! Next, I'll grant you admin access to [Item Creation]... You know what? I think you'll be overwhelmed by it. Wait."

He then tapped into the air multiple times. Unlike before, it took him 5 minutes. I tried talking to him but ended up with no results.

"Here. I made an entire panel just for you. To activate it, simply utter [Item Supply]"

"Item Supply!"

Before I knew it, a flashy item fell into my hands.

"Great! Leave it there for now. Check the panel by saying [Status]."

I did as he told me. As he said, texts and lines suddenly appeared. He called it panel or whatever it is.

"Here listed the items you obtained from [Item Supply]. It also listed the minimum price, the name and stats of the said item, and when you obtained that. You also have a unique ability [Recall Item]. Go ahead, try it! Simply say it while thinking about the unique items."

I simply followed his instructions. Before I knew it, the flashy item from before teleported from the ground into my hands again.

"See! You're a fast learner. Remember, you need to have a mystique background. You are now a survivor of a great war from the past. You were adopted by an interdimensional mage, granting you access to unique items... Ah, you know what? Go make it up. Ah right, here, 10 gold. This is already a lot so you should have a great start. I'm leaving now!"

He quickly turn around and ran away, leaving me without letting me digest what he said earlier. However, he stopped quickly and turn around, this time, his eyes are tearing up.

He suddenly teleported in front of me and gripped my shoulders tightly. He appears to be hesitating.

"Enjoy your new life."

He then hugged me closely for a few minutes. I wish to ask him questions but I can't breathe with his affectionate hug. Before I knew it, he disappeared.

I'm dazed as to what should I do. I have so many questions to ask I wished he didn't interrupt me every single time.

Where should I start? I stood there for a full hour, understanding what just happened. The entire thing is so fast, that it felt like he's rushing it.

Anyways, I have a new start and I need to make good use of it. He gave me eternal life but I still need to eat. I'm hungry after all. Before I took my first step, everything became dark.


 

At the development team's HQ,

"The world server is now launched."

"It's stable. Our QA reported no bugs for now. However, this game uses higher and more stable Mbps. We're afraid only first-world countries can play it."

"We're trying to minimize needed Mbps. How about our VR consoles?"

"It's overheating. We don't know why but we're pretty sure it worked last time."

"Unlike before, it's the world server. At least, we didn't jump into beta-testing. We only have 3 months before the deadline! Double time, team!"

"We have bad news, sir! The governments of multiple countries immediately rejected our VR console. They said that our console risks the health of the players."

"What did they mean by endangering their lives?"

"They said that our console connecting 110 Watts of Electricity right into the player's brain runs the risk of electrocution. They also said that the radio waves we direct into the brain might damage it within the process."

"... We will compromise. Tell our hardware department to create a smaller version of the VR console that runs on battery. Lessen the radiowaves directed into the brain."

"Right now? We designed the former console for 3 years and you're asking us to make it in 3 months?"

"I know. Tell our player base we'll delay it for another 3 months."

"Hopefully, now that it's reduced, the overheating will be solved as well."

"Boss, huge problem! Some internet influencers got wind of our legal problem and are exaggerating them!"

"Marketing team, control the situation! Hunt down those wretched attention seekers and don't hesitate to report them!"

"On it!"

"Lastly, shut down the world server for now. We will reopen it sooner or later. Luckily, with our Kickstarter campaign, we have enough budget to last for a few more months."


 

I woke up. I was greeted with a lonely feeling this morning. I checked myself and found nothing of interest.

What a funny dream. A random stranger giving me abilities?

My hunger conquered my mind and as I decided to set off, I stepped into something small.

It's a small bag of coins.

I have a bad feeling about this. I picked it up and found 10 gold coins which is the exact number from my dream. What if... No! The entire thing is so weird! Let's try it.

"Item supply!"

A pill in a bottle dropped into my hands. No! Hold on! Ahh...

"Recall item!"

I decided to recall a certain flashy item. It was a crossbow. It worked! I think I'm still inside a dream. I slapped myself hard. It's painful.

"Status!"

Item Name (Minimum Price)

Item Description [Rarity] (Month of Acquisition)

Kelvin Crossbow (350 gold)

A crossbow that casts ice element into bolts. [Unique] (Feb. '28)

Miracle Pill (25 gold)

A pill that nullifies all negative conditions. [Unique] (May '28)

The status panel only includes a list of items I borrowed. The prices are in ridiculous numbers. Gold coins are rare in this world and for me to find a buyer of unique items... Nevermind. I have a starting point and should make full good use of it.

I decided to explore the village where I am located. It's peaceful and safe and warm and... that's it. It's your typical village. With my ability to obtain unique items, I should aspire to be a traveling merchant... Right... What's a traveling merchant in detail by the way? Do I travel while selling? Just how heavy would the items I carry will be? Wouldn't it be more efficient to just build a store in the capital rather than standing in the middle of nowhere, waiting for that one customer?

Anyways, nothing matters in this village and I should leave immediately.

"Ah young man, are you planning to leave?" A man riding a donkey with a cart alongside multiple donkeys presented himself before me.

"Hmm? You are?"

"Isaac. A peddler. You don't seem to live here and are planning to leave. You see, I won't mind a company."

How did he know I'm planning to leave?.. Am I that easy to read?

"Yeah, I was. I got lost exploring this place. Where are you going?"

"To the nearby city of Garnet. It's just near, I'm telling you. Here, I have an extra donkey to ride."

"Thanks. If only you know how much you helped me."

"Haha, you're welcome."


 

Two days have passed. The peddler comes to the villages we passed on to engage in trading. He told me that I might scare them with my weapon and encouraged me to guard the donkeys instead.

"We just need to pass two villages, and then we'll reach the Garnet City. I'm telling you, we're near."

"Yeah, yeah, talk about near. We just passed 11 villages."

Isaac is a small-time peddler in this region. He kept eyeing my weapons which made me uncomfortable. Noticing my expression, he then admitted that my weapon took his attention and narrated his story of finding a broken ring, only to find out it was a magic item, making 37 gold in the process. He then decided to buy drinks and he no longer knows where they went. Is alcohol as expensive as gold? He told me that it isn't.

"Say, what's your job?"

"My job? I'm a merchant."

"Merchant? Aren't merchants supposed to own a few stores in the capital and have multiple assistants and caravans?"

"I'm a traveling merchant. I travel and sell."

"So you're a peddler. What are you selling?"

"This."

"That weapon? You're selling it? How much?"

"350 gold coins."

"...Is there anything else?"

"I also have a miracle pill."

"Miracle pill?"

"It's hard to explain."

"Okay... Is there anything else you are guarding- ah I mean 'selling'?"

"Nothing else."

I presented both items to him. He said that when he owned that broken magical ring, he can see the magical fluctuations albeit minuscule. However, my magical items are both fluctuating intense magical energies. He declared that they're the real deal. If only-

"There's an enemy! Hide!"

"Enemy?"

We both hid, hoping to find the mysterious enemy. The enemy didn't shoot the donkeys which are great for us, or because they also want it.

"There, Isaac, found him!"

"Where?"

"Behind that tree. I'll shoot him."

I decided to shoot the tree where the enemy hides. The bolt penetrated the tree and nearly hit the enemy. While it missed, the ice element activated and froze everything nearby.

"You're great."

"This is my first time using this weapon. It's great."

"First time? To think it would be that easy to use."

"Behind you!"

Another enemy tried to sneak against me. Using my dagger, Isaac dodged the enemy and struck hard.

"Thanks, man. I would have been injured without your warning... Why are you looking at me like that?"

"Are you an assassin? How did you easily dodge that?"

"No, and don't look at me. Your shooting skill is more suspicious, you know."

"... Yeah, you're right. What matters the most is that we're safe."

We waited for a long time and no more enemies appeared.

"There's only the two of them."

I inspected the bodies of the enemies.

"Malnourished."

"Why? Isn't this place a verdant field? Why would they get hungry here"

"...You'll find out soon enough."

He followed the direction of his eyes... To the city of Garnet.


 

A day has passed.

"I have a bad feeling we'll meet again. Are you sure you want to go alone?"

"Yeah. I'm thinking of finding a place to sell this."

"Good luck!"

Isaac and I separated at the nearby market. With my money, I should be able to rent a store and fill it with unique items.

"Ah, Isaac!"

"What is it?"

"Catch!"

I gave him a gold coin as thanks for accompanying me.

"Man, thanks for this!"

He bit the gold coin and is extremely glad about it. He then waved to me and left.

 

Gosh, I had a headache managing that table. Decided to change Isaac's POV to our MC's POV.

8