Chapter 5 – A Kind Offering
15 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

This chapter is dedicated to all the good-hearted people around the world, especially to those strangers that I met briefly, but showed immense kindness. Just know that your genuineness and compassion are not without result. You are, and will always be, appreciated.

 


 

That day, after discussing my dreams and goals with the old man, we continued doing volleyball practice.

After that, for the next few days, I had grown closer to the old man. As promised, we are both working hard for my training. We usually practice from morning to afternoon, with short breaks in between. I also usually practice with the other kids as well.

I offered to pay for his coaching, however, he steadily declined the money. Instead, he said he wants me to be truthful of my answer to his questions.

The man asked about my whereabouts, where my parents are and why I am running around loose without going to school.

At first, I wanted to make a lie to avoid any future troubles, however, after seeing the genuine concern in his expression. I couldn’t bring myself to speak of any dishonesty.

In the end, I told him the truth. How I accelerated my classes, then ran away from home. The expression on his face back then is indescribable, it was a mixture of disbelief and regret.

He gave my forehead a hard flick, before proceeding to give me a really really long lecture.

When he asked me when I would go back home, I couldn’t help but make a face.

I retorted, “Coach, would you want to go back home to people who are not looking for you even after almost 2 months of your disappearance?”

Hearing my sarcastic remark, the old man gave me another hard forehead flick. I yelped and touched my aching forehead. When I’m about to give the old man a few more words of retaliation, I stopped because the bulky old man, who is around 6 foot tall, was crying.

His whole face is red and blotchy, and his eyelids are puffy, none of which are pleasant to look at. Also, he continuously scrubs and blows his nose so he doesn’t end up with snot running down his face. I didn’t know if I should laugh or cry.

In the end, I just handed him the clean face towel that I brought for my practice that day. He patted my head and told me that everything will be okay.

Hearing all his encouraging words, I couldn’t stop my eyes from getting teary. I don’t remember someone actually being kind to me.

After all the bawling and crying that we shared that day, I thought the old man would finally let go of the topic about my personal and family life.

However, this annoying old man brought me home to meet his wife and two children.

Right now, I’m sitting at their dining table while his two children are staring at me. The older child is a girl, and is named Ayane. She is also 2 years older than me. While the second child is a boy named Hayami, who is 3 years younger than me.

Coach Miguel and his wife are discussing something far away from the table, which leaves me alone with the two children.

The older sister suddenly smiled at me, she looked very closely at my face before speaking, “Younger sister, how old are you? You are very pretty. I like your silky hair.”

The girl before me is really pretty too. She has a lightly tanned skin, long-styled chest-nut brown colored hair, a large brown eyes and plump lips

She took more of her features from Coach Miguel, whose facial features befit a Latin America descent.

At 12 years old, the girl already knew how to take care of herself, which can be seen by the lip gloss applied to her lips and the mascara on her eyelashes.

Her neat and polished appearance is very pleasant to look at.

“Thank you. I’m 10 years old. And, I think you look much prettier than me.”

The girl grinned at me, she was about to say something else, however, we were cut off as Coach Miguel and his wife came back to the dining table.

Coach Miguel’s wife is definitely of East Asian descent. She has long black hair, porcelain white skin, small nose, thin lips and slanted black colored eyes. I think specifically, she is Japanese.

The woman stares at me before taking my hand. She bites her lip, like she is hesitating to tell me something. Finally, she sighed and spoke in a very gentle manner,

“Little lady, I heard your situation from Miguel. I understand that you may want to make your own decision, however, a child like you should not be left on your own. We can never tell when an unfortunate event will happen.”

I gasped and could not help but panic. No! Don’t tell me they will call authorities to return me home? I won’t let that happen!

Seeing my panicked state, the woman immediately held my shoulder firmly.

“No, sweetheart, calm down. Hear me out first, okay?”

“I may not look like it, but I’m really really capable. I can live by myself. Besides, I don’t really want to go home. This is not an excuse, but my parents are influential people, they can find me half a day if they want to. But they don't– even after 2 months. It’s because they don't care. So please…” I answered in a quivering voice.

The woman moved her hands from my shoulder to touch my cheeks.

“I understand. Don’t worry we won’t force you to go home. However, we cannot leave you alone to fend for yourself. My husband says that during your past practices with him he notices that you always catch fevers and colds but you tend to ignore your bad physical condition.” The woman looks me directly in the eye.

“I’m a pediatrician. So I just cannot stand by after hearing that. How about you stay with us, with our family, until you decide to go home, or old enough that you can move out?” she continued.

All the words that are in my mind are suddenly stuck in my throat, in short, I’m truly dumbfounded and speechless. What did she say? I couldn’t bring myself to formulate a reply.

The woman, seeing my current state, suddenly looked worriedly at her husband.

Coach Miguel, understanding what she meant, gave me a tap in the shoulder.

“Kid, we won’t push you to go home, nor refer you to local authorities. However, you have to let us help you. There’s no way you can survive on your own for so long. Even adults need some company sometimes.” he explained.

“So, what do you think? Would you like to move in with us temporarily? You can think of us as your relatives.” he continued. However, before I can even proceed with my reply. Ayane, who is paying attention on the sides, suddenly exclaimed.

I looked at her shocked face. See? She wouldn’t like me here. She will probably find me as a threat. I don’t want to compete anymore over senseless things–

“Mama, Papa, will she really be staying with us? I’m so excited. I’ve always wanted a younger sister!”

“Ne, younger sister, your name is Amaryllis, right? What’s your nickname? Should I call you Amary? Mary? Or Riri? Riri is so cute right? It sounds Japanese. We will just use “Ri” in Kanji meaning “interest, benefit or profit” Great meaning right? How is that? What do you think? You like that?--”

Suddenly, her enthusiastic rumbling was cut-off by Coach Miguel, “Aya, finish your food first.”

Ayane pouted, but still proceeded to finish her food. As for me, I look at the gentle couple in front of me. I knew from the start that Coach Miguel is a softhearted man, as from what I observed the first time we met. Maybe for that reason, he also married someone as kind as him.

“I… I… Thank you. Please. If I’m too much to handle. Just tell me, I will move out.” I finally replied.

I don’t really know what I will experience inside their household.

It is just that, at this moment, I wanted to follow my strong gut feeling.

1