Chapter 2.5
2.1k 4 25
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I had to catch up with Jez. She had probably missed “me” after my other self went missing for such a long time. I also had important things to discuss with her.

 

“Thanks for the offer, Tr- Madden.” That was close. I coughed to cover up my mistake. “But I have to catch up with my best friend.”

 

Immediately Madden started to protest. “Don’t! The streets aren’t safe, specially for a beauty like you.”

 

I exhaled long and tired. “I’ll be fine. I know martial arts and I’ve also got Jez here with me. She has had my back many times.”

 

Madden got triggered and flew into a range. “This…this… little dyke! She can’t protect you! Look at how weak and small she is. She’d probably end up sucking you assailants cunt instead of helping you.”

 

Jezalin stood in front of me, blocking my vision of Madden. She was trembling either in anger or fear. “Shut up! The only dyke here is you! Stop bothering him! He already told you to fuck off!”

 

I moved to the side so I could see. Madden was practically seething now. She raised her arm, cocking it for a punch. Then she saw me and closed her eyes in pain. She started lowering her arm slowly as if it took all of her will not to beat Jezalin to a pulp.

“Fine,” she grumbled. “But I’ll have a word with him in private. So go away for a while.” She made a dismissive motion with her hand, shooing her away.

 

Jezalin looked like she was going to refuse, but I asked her to comply and she relented.

 

Now in private, I told Madden, “Thanks for not overreacting. I wouldn’t have forgiven you if you harmed her.”

 

“I know, that’s why I didn’t beat up your charming little friend. Please pass me your phone. I’ll add my number to it. I want you to call me when you arrive home and if you ran into any trouble whatsoever, okay?”

 

“Don’t have a phone. Lost it.”

 

Madden thought for a second or so and then took out her smartphone. “Here, I’ll lend you mine for now. I’ll buy a new one at the store and call you so you have its number. We’ll swap at school tomorrow and you can stay with the new phone.”

 

I felt bad using her for buying a new phone. It felt like I was using my power to leech off people. I started to say no, but she said, “I insist.” She pressed the phone to my hand and then backed away.

 

Madden opened her car door and blew me a kiss before she got in.

 

“What a bitch.” grumbled Jezalin, looking quite put down. Jez was always one to get sad after a fight with someone.

 

We started walking and once I couldn’t see Madden’s car anymore, I grabbed Jez’s arm and pulled her towards me, into a surprise hug. Jezalin small and I could rest my chin upon her head in a comforting manner. She started stammering in surprise and I just knew she was blushing beet red down there. Ahhh, I needed this. I don’t know why, but at that moment tears started welling up in my eyes, but I prevented them from falling cause I’m a man goddamit!

 

“I missed you so much, Jez.” I told her, the words coming out heavy with emotion. “I- when I- I thought I’d never see you again…”

 

I could tell she thought something happened to me, found my behavior weird. But, still she answered, “I missed you too. Where the hell were you? What happened to you?” 

 

A lie would have been easier, but I felt that Jez deserved the truth. She and I were inseparable, partners in crime, Bonnie and Clyde—or at least that was the case in my previous world. But our friendship was so strong that it probably transcended realities and if that wasn’t the case, then I’d reforge our friendship here.

 

“I’ll tell you the truth, but you probably won’t believe me.”

 

Jez frowned, upset at my lack of trust. “I will. Now tell me!”

 

I sighed. “Here it goes: I don’t really know where “I” went missing or what happened to me, because-”

 

Jez was outraged. “Oh don’t give me that crap!” She was beet red with frustration and I couldn’t help but think she looked cute even when she got angry. “If you are gonna be pulling my hair here, you can go back home by yourself! I thought we-”

 

I covered her mouth with my hand, eliciting a few mumbled protests. “Jez let me finish for fucks sake.” I paused to gather back my stride and will to come out. “I am a superhero from another world and the me from this reality is still missing, that’s why I can’t tell you where he is. Cause I don’t know.”

 

I uncovered her mouth. She looked at me wearily. “Alright, I’ll be honest, I am more inclined to believe you went crazy, but if you show me your powers that will change.”

 

“I wish I could, but I can only steal the powers of others and they fall in love with me as a consequence.” Her disbelief was plain to see. “You don’t believe me do you?”

 

“It just sounds too crazy to be true. Have you taken any drugs lately?”

 

“Look, how about this: Madden is Trailblazer. I used my powers on her and that’s why she was all over me today. She probably didn’t behave that way with the me from this reality, right?”

 

“Okay, okay,” she said putting her hands on my chest. I was getting pretty intense and close to her. “I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt. Your personality has been pretty strange lately and you seem stronger and taller. So how do we find the original Erin?”

 

“You’ll see it’s true eventually. As for your question, I have no clue. Someone broke into my room yesterday night and made a mess. Probably looking for something. Took my computer.”

 

Jez looked horrified. “No way! Do you have cameras or something? Is it even safe for you to be alone tonight? You should come stay with me or the police!”

&

I thought about it and she was right. Plus, it’d be nice to spend some more time with her. 

 

“Yeah, I’ll stay the night at your place. I just have to let my mother know first.” Based on how my mother of this world reacted when I disappeared one time, I was concerned about what she’d do the second time. 

 

Jezalin’s face soured. “Look, I don’t mean to speak ill of no one, but she is controlling and weird and…and she won’t let you come over. You know, you could live with us. My mother gave the okay and-”

 

She was right, but I’m not one to follow orders. I go where my heart tells me. “It’ll be fine, Jez. Don’t worry, you worrywart.”

 

She pouted, frustrated. “You are a wart, you uglywart!”

 

I grinned and wrapped my arm around her neck, pulling her towards my chest. I used my other hand to ruffle her hair. Usually Jez would elbow me in the stomach or dick to get out of the hold, but this time she just used her arms to push us apart.

 

She sighed, sad. “You are so similar to “him”, but different enough to be uncanny. Tell me we’ll find your other you…”

 

“We’ll do our best,” I ruffled her hair some more. “...Fartwart.”

 

The silly insult got a weak smile out of Jez, but not much more. We walked in silence for some time. Then, “How was your original planet, world, whatever you wanna call it?”

 

My joyous mood evaporated and I turned serious again. “It wasn’t good, Jez. You died there. An alien god from beyond our universe came and played around with us like a gradeschooler plays with insects. It handed out cursed powers to individuals it found interesting. Each time we used them we had to face the consequences, making the world worse with every use. But, no, that wasn’t enough; it set upon us some giant fucking kaiju monsters: the Apocalypse Bringers. Every year things got worse and then when we staked everything on a final battle for the fate of humanity…I ended up here.”

 

“Oh goshess.” she looked at me with pity, worried. “I- I don’t know what to say… are they okay? The people of your universe, I mean.”

 

Anger reared it’s ugly head. “I told you I don’t know! What are you, stupid?! I told you I was sent to this shit world before!”

 

Jezalin hugged herself and made herself small, her face broadcasting hurt. “I-I’m sorry if I said something that made you angry, okay?” She was in tears now. “But don’t treat me like that… I am only trying to help, okay?”

 

After I took a few deep breaths, my anger faded fast and all I was left with was my other old friend, regret. “Fuck. I’m sorry too, Jez. You are right, I shouldn’t have blown up at you. I have anger issues. I can’t control it sometimes. I really do value you as a friend though.”

 

She was still sobbing, but little by little she started getting it back together. “Maybe you should go to therapy. I could introduce you to my psychologist, Khara. It’s not good to have all that pent up anger.”

25