Chapter 6
18 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Jade was surprisingly pleasant to work with, Alexander found out. They separated from the group and found a boulder far off to practice timing and types of attacks on. Everyone was still on the mountain top, with the thick fluffy snow in chaotic mounds all around them. The wind would soar up occasionally and threaten to blow the soul out of you. Alexander had gotten by so far by huge dumps of adrenaline and pure luck, but now that he had both the Breathing Techniques and Resistance feats he was able to go outside with only his kilt on and be mostly fine. 

In the first hour of training, Jade and Alexander went over their weapons, abilities, feats, and other skills that they could utilize. They then took this information and started to form types of attacks. For example, Alexander might throw a mighty kick to the head while Jade slithered underneath to target tendons. 

For a few more hours after that, they practice like their lives depended on it– which it sorta was. Jade was mostly silent, and so was Alexander. Jade was able to communicate well, however, with a lot of intuitive hand gestures and motions. Alexander also noticed that it looked like her in-depth knowledge of fighting came from countless real-life encounters and intuition, not from training like Brandon or Peter. 

Alexander felt his mind wander during their practicing. After all, they took frequent breaks to recoup. Each time his mind felt like a rubber band stretched too much wiggling its way back into position. There was such a serious disconnect between who he was his entire life and what he had been doing the last couple days. And it felt odd he was even able to do stuff like that. Thinking deeply, Alexander rationed out that sure, he had something in his mind that changed him, but that some of it was also from the game. Both from the artificiality of it and any possible effects of the capsule he was in. 

Each time he thought too deeply, however, he felt the horrors start to surge again. Violent torrents of emotions unexpressed and feelings not understood sloshed around like a gasoline truck in an accident, just waiting to explode. 

After five hours, which went by surprisingly quick, the two of them heard a call from Brandon. It was time to meet up and plan as a team. Alexander looked at his stats and noticed that he had gained one point in dexterity, pushing it to 23 and two points in wisdom, bringing it to 20. He smirked and felt a surge of accomplishment. But turning to Jade, he noticed she was staring intently at him. 

Jade removed the helmet on her new suit of sleek black armor, revealing the face he had seen before. It was thin, taught, and her eyes kept a perpetual scowl. She had raven-black hair and blue eyes that were murky with hues of green and brown. She stared at him, emotionless, before speaking to him– this time in full sentences. 

"Alexander, you're a fucking dumbass." Alexander felt shock go through his system. What?  "I mean it, too. You are seriously stupid. All of the things learned in every single 101 of fighting schools is the exact opposite of what you do." She sighed. "But you've managed to propel us to the final round. Thank you. But I don't think we're going to make it past this final round."

"What are you talking about?" Alexander blurted out. A shiver went up his spine as the rhythm of his breathing went chaotic, his body now mismanaging his temperature.

"It's nothing to do with us, or even the group." She put her weight on her right side and rolled her eyes, realizing now that she sounded like she doubted the group. "I just don't think it's possible to beat the final round in the tutorial. A death knight doesn't sound remotely possible."

"Jade, what are you getting at?" 

"What I'm saying is that we're probably going to lose, then be separated. Truth be told, I don't have many friends. Really none at all. Don't care for 'em." She paused and stood straight. "And you're no exception. However, you make excellent bait. I'd like for you to add me to your friend's list. I want to stay in touch." 

Alexander thought for a second. In fact, he thought for many. It finally occurred to him that he had never even used it. He went through a few menus, found it, and saw a big, fat, goose egg. And he also realized that he did have friends. Two, to be precise. And he had a family too. Most people probably finish the tutorial by now. I've got to get home and check up on everyone. It's been days...

"I'd love to." Alexander said after steeling himself. They exchanged contact info and headed off to the group. 

The two of them were the last ones to get there. Everyone was now arrayed in a circle around a massive log stuck deep into the snow. Alexander looked at the clock. 4:17:35. Only four hours were left until the death knight showed its face. 

Next to the log was Brandon, and as Alexander and Jade walked up and fit themselves inside the circle he began to speak. 

"Alright everyone, I hope you and your partner have thoroughly gone through strategy and preparation. Now, we begin the group training. We'll go until about fifteen minutes before the arrival time." Brandon paused. However, as he was about to speak, Alexander piped up. 

"Wait a sec." Everyone looked at him. He felt another shiver. "I won't take long." Everyone continued staring. "Look, we've spent days together, and while it sounds cheesy, I think we've all gotten to know each other pretty well, even to the point of being friends. Before we face this boss, I'd like to add all of you to my friends list. You're all incredibly skilled at what you do, and I think that even if we don't stick together, we can at least offer advice to one another in the coming days. I don't know what awaits us in the game, but with any of you at my side I feel confident." Everyone slowly began to nod. 

"A few of us have already done it." Peter started. "But I agree that we should all add each other to our friends list." Everyone started opening up menus. "I don't know if it has some kind of weird French name, but there's a special bond with people who have survived deadly situations together. It's one of the reasons I was so close with my platoon." 

"You got that right." Brandon agreed, and soon enough everyone had added each other. "Now then, let's get on to training."

----

Alexander took a look around him. Many people had gotten some sort of grand power-up, new armor, or cool weapons. 

Jade of course had the twin daggers she had from the start, and now with that high-tech black armor she looked formidable. 

Steven had purchased what seemed like a basic exo-suit along with some thick clothing for the cold. The exo-suit had a rifle in one hand and a claw in the other, and it looked badass. 

Sarah on the other hand had some kind of force-field that generated in a body-armor like shape, giving her body a simmering blue tint to it. Along her belt, she had many potions, vials, and a laser pistol. 

Jenny had a similar field to Sarah, but it was a magical one from Alexander's guess. It shimmered golden hues and seemed to sparkle with the world around her. She wore her same clothes, but she had gloves that also seemed to shimmer. 

Peter had purchased some chainmail armor, and Alexander guessed it was stronger than it looked. He also had many layers on and a halberd at his side. 

Brandon had high tech armor like Jade, but it wasn't stealthy and it was much more clunky. He had a laser pistol at his hip and a commander-style sword in his hands. 

Kate was wearing what looked like a snow ghillie suit. It was starkly white, but it blended in perfectly with the surroundings. It was also large with many draping pieces, making the act of hitting her harder. She had the same bow since the start. 

Alexander figured that while everyone had gotten some serious upgrades, these were all still very basic items. And they probably wouldn't hold up well against a death knight. Still, it was their best shot. 

"Alright, first we are going to go in turns demonstrating what kinds of attacks we will be utilizing. Basically, each pair should show what they're going to be doing with the upcoming fight. Next, we will figure out an order in which to attack. This will minimize chaos on our end and ensure efficiency. Finally, we will use our remaining time to solidify our timing and await the fight. 

Now then, some side notes. In the case of a death or a member not being able to fight, their battle buddy will go it alone. If you fight alone, utilize distraction tactics and stay safe. If a duo or member cannot execute their attack for whatever reason, then the priority will go to the next in line. If there are new enemies who show up, or if the death knight can either summon or take control of our actions in some way, the team who was next will handle the new threat. Their goal should be to separate themselves and any new threat from the main enemy and create space. "

Everyone looked at each other.

"Now then, any questions?" Brandon said with finality. The group looked resolved. 

Brandon began the demonstrations. Each duo went in turn by showing off their combo attacks and explaining how it all worked. After that was done, they then practiced going in order. They decided upon this: Brandon and Peter, Steven and Sarah, Jenny and Kate, then finally Jade and Alexander. They honed down the timing, and by the time the clock showed ten minutes remaining, they felt prepared. 

Out there in the snow, with sounds of crunching boots and blistering wind, the group stood in a circle. The evening sun showed brilliant hues of orange and red, and the light cascaded off of the fresh white snow, creating a mirage of colors that dazzled the scene. There, atop the peak of this mountain, their fate was to come. 

"Hey, where is it?" Alexander piped up. The clock was at one minute. Everyone was looking nervous. Usually signs of the enemy were visible by now. But as the seconds melted away the group saw nothing– heard nothing. Forty seconds... thirty seconds... Alexander felt his chest tighten and fear was now dangling in the midst of them. Twenty seconds... ten seconds... Each time a number changed the world seemed to zoom in. Five seconds... And then it happened.

The group was in their circular formation, and in the gap in the middle, something sprouted up from the ground. There had been no signs of it, but the second the clock struck zero, a hulking beast shot up from the snow.

As it landed, purple energy shot out as it screamed. It was massive, easily almost nine feet tall, and covered head-to-toe in midnight-black armor. It held a massive broadsword too big for a human to handle, and inscribed on it were countless screaming and tortured human faces.

The death knight then twisted itself towards Alexander and lunged. 

The ground rumbled as it leaped towards him, and Alexander was frozen in place. He looked into its face and saw only two glowing purple eyes. The thing didn't even make steam from its breath. But as the sword drew closer, it was suddenly stopped. 

Peter was now in front of Alexander, straining with all of his might just to block the sword with his halberd. A scream echoed as Brandon then charged at the back of the knight. The thing released one hand from his sword, which made no difference in Peter's struggle, and threw it back beyond a normal range of motion at Brandon. He barely dodged. 

Steven took advantage of the split second and used his powerful exo-suit to grapple with the arm of the death knight. Sarah shot twice with her laser pistol then threw some kind of concoction at the armor. It had no effect. And neither did the bolts. 

The death knight twirled its torso like an owl's head, throwing back Peter and Steven, resetting the position of the group. A moment of silence followed. Fear seeped into the scene. 

Jenny charged forward, her fists glowing with yellow energy, and engaged the death knight. She dodged and weaved through multiple attacks, landing a couple hits on the armor, but they had no effect either. There was some sort of shimmering purple aura around the knight's armor. But it couldn't stop a well placed arrow. 

A bellow of pain resounded as Kate landed an arrow right in the neck of the death knight. Purple energy shot out of the spot as it reared towards her, now sprinting. It raised its sword and swung it down at Jenny. But Alexander was quicker. He regained his composure. With one wild swing he slammed his fist into the broadside of the sword and unbalanced the knight. Then, Jade jumped up and wrapped her legs around his neck, using her daggers to try and pierce into his neck. 

The death knight tried in vain to pry her off, but it was preoccupied with Brandon's agile sword strikes. While it was dealing with that, Peter ran up and jammed his halberd into an exposed area in the death knight's hip. But before the death knight could retaliate, Steven rushed forward and grabbed the sword, holding it hostage. Sarah then tossed a vial to Jade, who cracked it open inside the death knight's now exposed neck. Jade back-flipped off the knight, just in time for Jenny to land a massive blow to its chest. 

The death knight was pushed back by her magic, giving Kate a great opening for a volley of arrows. The knight was being overloaded. It was screaming in pain. Alexander felt confident. He ran up and doubled down on Jenny's frontal attack, denting the chest plate. Jade was already behind the knight and was now cutting at his ankles. 

Peter and Brandon rushed from both sides, weapons in tow. They had a solid chance of dealing major damage. But then they all realized something. The death knight was not screaming in pain, but in anger. A destructive wave of purple magic shot out from the knight, and all of its wounds immediately closed. Everyone flew back. Steven tried to hold on to the sword, but the force was too strong, and it flew him several yards back. But while everyone else got up, he didn't. He was bleeding from the head. 

Sarah wasted no time. She got back up and started firing  relentlessly at the beast. Still no damage.  Kate followed up with an arrow that just barely missed. Jenny was still trying to get back up. 

Jade screamed as she got back up, her left arm now broken. But with frenzy in her eyes she took up one of her daggers and held it in her mouth. She lurched forward as Alexander sprinted at the beast as well. The death knight paused, then shot out another wave of purple energy. Jade was flung back instantly, screaming in pain. But Alexander stood. 

It felt like a waterfall slamming down on his chest, but he stood. He felt the cold, dead, stare of the death knight’s two purple eyes, but he stood. It slowly stepped towards him, the force of its magic multiplying with each step, but he held firm. His feet started to make a line in the snow as not even the ground could hold him. The death knight kept walking. But then Alexander saw it. He saw her. 

The death knight suddenly disappeared, and replaced in its image was his own mother. He stalled. Everyone was screaming at him, but he stood firm. Alexander felt all the strength leave him. Every moment he spent in this game he felt wash away as he returned to the version of him before all this. He felt at peace. And then the death knight swung down its sword. 

Alexander looked to his left side, only to discover that his left arm was now missing. The pain hadn't registered yet, but the attack ended the spell. The group was staring at him in shock. Steven showed no signs of life. Jade was struggling to move. 

A barbaric scream ruptured the silence as Brandon and Peter came rushing in. Brandon jumped in-between Alexander and the death knight, parrying its attacks, as Peter drop kicked Alexander out of the picture. The two continued their attack until Sarah stepped in, firing more laser shots, which still had no visible effect. 

Jenny was back in business, and Kate finally found her mark. The two were able to inflict damage shortly after Sarah's shots. And so the dance of death continued. 

Moments later, Jade joined the struggle again. Sweat had dampened her hair, which now froze over. Pain was on her face as her arm was dangling in unnatural angles. But she kept on, at least distracting the death knight. 

The group started to gain their momentum back. Those still able to fight did with ferocity unmatched. And it looked like the knight couldn't keep up. Its armor started to show signs of damage, and its movements looked weaker. 

Alexander was laying in the snow, his nerves barely responsive due to blood loss. He felt cold. He could barely hear the fighting, and all he saw were the clouds in the sky. 

Brandon was in front of the death knight again. He was masterfully parrying attacks while Peter harassed the back of the knight. But as Brandon leaped back to allow Sarah some laser shots, the death knight leaned back, re-positioned its sword to act like a javelin, and hurled it at sonic speed. Brandon looked down and coughed blood. 

Everyone who was awake gasped in shock as Brandon fell down, lifeless, as the sword had gone almost completely through his chest. The death knight wasted no time, spun unnaturally, and slammed Jade in the fast with its fist. She crumpled immediately. Jenny sprinted forward and tried to kick the death knight's head from behind. But the death knight spun its arm around, grabbed her leg, and snapped her bones. 

The death knight threw her flailing body at Kate, knocking her over. It leaped, grabbed its sword, then sliced down at Jenny. She died instantly. But before the death knight could land a second attack against Kate, Peter started slicing behind it. Kate stumbled back and half-heartedly shot some arrows at the thing. 

While the two were fighting on the brink of death, Sarah went over to Alexander. His vision was darkening, and he felt peaceful. But suddenly his peace was interrupted by searing pain. 

"I'm cauterizing the wound. There's only four of us left, and we don't have much time." Sarah said in-between gasps. After sealing the wound, she pulled out a vial of red liquid. "I didn't tell the group about this, but during Steven's research he found other uses for nano-bots." She started to inject the vial in Alexander. "This also contains materials to replace your blood. The nano-bots can 'turn off any limiters your body naturally puts. Even in your frenzy state, you still have some." The vial was gone, and Alexander started to feel warmth in his body. "This will kill you, but you're going to die anyway." Sarah said as she started to run back into the fight. 

The death knight was slowly gaining the advantage. After many successful hits, it finally was able to land a hit of its own. It sliced off Peter's right leg. Using the momentum, it slammed its body into Kate, who flew back, hit a tree, and was instantly paralyzed. But as it turned back towards a crawling Peter, it heard a roar. 

Alexander had gotten up, and with two unnatural leaps, closed the gap between himself and the death knight. The thing tried to strike a defensive pose, but it was too late. Alexander surged forward and slammed his only fist into the face of the death knight. Instantly, several of Alexander’s fingers snapped, but the death knight flew back. 

The death knight was reeling, but it dug its feet in the ground as Alexander charged again. Aided with laser fire from Sarah, he slammed his shoulder into the death knight’s torso. He made a large dent, but his shoulder dislocated. Alexander immediately then bit down on the death knight’s arm. Teeth flew everywhere. But Alexander now had the death knight's sword in his mouth. 

The death knight tried desperately to get it back, but Alexander's crazed movements eluded it. Alexander swung with his entire body, slamming the sword down again and again. The death knight tried using its magic against Alexander, and while more of his bones broke from the waves of energy, it did not slow him down. 

Sarah was able to nail the death knight in one of its eyes, and it reared back in pain. But finally it was able to kick Alexander back a few feet. Alexander struggled to get back up, his body barely functioning. The death knight moved forward slowly, barely standing as well. Alexander was not getting up. It was a close battle, but it was looking to be over.

But then, a halberd flew out of the air. Peter had gotten up, and while balancing on his one leg, aimed and threw the weapon. It landed right in the death knight's face, gouging out its other eye and lodging itself in its head. Laser shots also rang out and made the thing back up. Alexander, with his last shred of energy, leaped up, spun around, and with one final move, sliced off the head of the knight. It dropped to its knees, waivered, then fell to the Earth. 

0