Chapter 16
16 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Alexander Reyes, you have died. You are now in your home. 

Alexander blinked. He was in his bed, and he felt off. He blinked again and moved around, absorbing the view of the home he had built. It was nice, of course, but he couldn’t focus on that. He had just heard something, and he was trying to remember. 

Alexander Reyes, you have died. You are now in your home. 

“Who’s there?” Alexander got out of bed. His body felt normal, but his mind was not cooperating with his demands. 

I am the administrator tied to you. Alexander finally noticed the administrator in the corner of his room. What do you remember? 

“I remember… nothing.” Alexander rubbed his head. 

Amnesia is normal after death. Please, take a moment and try to recall anything. Don’t worry, it won’t last long. 

“Alright,” Alexander searched through his mind and started to find pieces. Something here, something there, he kept fitting things together into the puzzle of his consciousness. Eventually, he got just enough, and something clicked into place. “Oh my god, that fucking Riverman.” 

Correct. You were slain by the Riverman. Now, death penalties differ case by case, so policy is to review what you have lost with an administrator. Are you ready?

“Sure.” Alexander frowned and clenched his fist. 

Due to the circumstances of your death, you have lost all of your items and current experience points. You have kept your levels and skills, and we will give you back your kilt. Alexander finally noticed he was naked. 

“How the hell does that work?” 

When you die, your body remains in the game until your respawn counter reaches zero. Once that happens, your old body disappears, leaving only your items. In this case, we have decided to also return your kilt so you can return to the game clothed. However, this is a one time deal; next time have some clothes ready in your home

“Sounds fair, but can’t I just buy some?” Alexander started to search around his home. 

You could, yes, if you had credits. You have lost those as well, and you have not stored any. 

“Dammit past Alexander.” Alexander looked around and found what he was looking for– the timer. Currently, it read twelve hours and some change. 

Your timer is based on a multitude of factors, and it started the second you died. 

“Wait, how long have I been out?” 

Two minutes. Now, when the timer reaches zero, you’re welcome to either stay here or go to the overlayer. However, if you wish to return to the game, you will have to respawn where you died. 

“That’s not good.” Alexander felt the hairs on his neck stand up. All he could see was the Riverman. 

That is the decision. Now, do you have any questions? 

“I guess not.” Alexander sighed as the administrator disappeared, leaving him alone with his thoughts. 

 

At first, Alexander was mad at himself. How could I lose so easily? Is this guy really that high leveled? He paced throughout the room and tried to manage the rage that was building. After a few minutes, he remembered Jade and tried to open his messages. It was blocked. He cursed at himself and resumed his pacing. 

After a half hour of his downward spiral, Alexander was fed up and resolved to do something. He stretched, meditated, and refocused his mind. It barely worked, but it worked just enough for him to think clearly. 

He sat down and opened the nets. He was blocked from interacting in any way, but he could search through sites and read up on the news. 

A lot had changed since his last foray. All around the world chaos was brewing. Eastern Europe, Africa, Asia, and all of South America are descending further into anarchy. Mercenary groups were on the rise, and whatever institutions that came up were struggling to keep hold. Hong Kong, the UNAA, the NEU, and some parts of Africa were holding still, but it wasn’t looking good. 

There was no single entity destabilizing the world, but the slave trade was booming and raiding was rampant. Deep within the nets, rumors started to spread of an organization behind everything, but Alexander saw that as just conspiracy. Still, Basher and Benjiro were a part of something more than just slavers… they had to be. And besides, what does everyone want with slaves?

Nothing was making sense to Alexander, but he understood the picture looked bad. He rolled his head around in frustration then took a look at the clock. Eleven hours were left. He cursed. 

Alexander decided to meditate deeply. He had nothing better to do, and his mind was still a bit unhinged. He sat down, breathed in deeply, and dug deep into his mind. 

He searched and found nothing. But not in a bad way. Through all the recent chaos, Alexander did not realize that he was now focused. Not completely, of course, but it was a good feeling. He noticed how sharp his thoughts were becoming, and it finally started to feel like his consciousness was one flowing river rather than many streams fighting for dominance. 

He took it a step further and tried to control that flow, to slow it down. Surprisingly, it yielded. He slowed down the torrent and focused on self-awareness. For the first time in his life, he actually felt the stress. He felt where it was and he knew how it made him feel. Slowly, yet surely, he equalized his energy and became more at one with himself. 

Still, there was one kernel of thought that bothered him. He saw it clearly– it was that Riverman. While Alexander felt like a river, the Riverman felt like an unyielding torrent. It was a wall that he couldn’t break down. There was no weakness. 

 

Alexander looked at the clock for the thousandth time. Twenty minutes remained. He had his kilt on, his body was limber, and he was ready. This time, he would not be caught off guard. He would not give up so quickly. Alexander was prepared to go the distance. 

The time moved incredibly slowly, but once it was at its last minute, it felt like it had flown by. He cracked his neck. The counter struck zero, and he was suddenly back at the river. 

Before Alexander there was a beautiful night sky. The stars were abundant, and their light sparkled down onto him. The moon was out too, and its full radiance was on display. Its pale light revealed the swaying grass and flowing river before him, and he marveled at the scene. 

“So you are back?” A voice spoke out. Alexander finally noticed him, the Riverman. 

“Yeah.” Alexander responded with resolve. Quickly, he took a look through his messages and found a couple from Jade. 

 

Hey, how's it going? It’s been a while now. 

 

It’s been a few hours and the security in the city is at an all time high. I’m guessing you died, and if that’s the case then you won’t get this message for a long time. Listen, I’ve got everything set up. You certainly did not help, but I was able to do it nonetheless. I’ll be hiding away, just shoot me a message when you’re back again. 

 

Alexander typed a response, and the Riverman seemed to oblige. 

 

I’m back now. Yeah, he got me good. I got no info from the guy, too, and it’s looking bad. But this fight is mine, and I WILL accomplish our goal. Please, don’t interfere, we need to keep you as an ace up our sleeve. Just one more fight.

 

“Are you done messaging your friend? Will she join us?” Riverman said plainly. 

“You sure know your stuff. But no, this is between you and me.” Alexander rolled his shoulders and prepared for a fight. 

“That is for the best. Now, before we begin, how about some tea?” Riverman then moved out of the way, showing a small row-boat with a tea set on it. 

“Huh?” Alexander stopped dead in his tracks. 

“I knew you’d return; I could see it in your eyes.” Riverman walked over, then got on to the row-boat, his massive oar laid on top.

“Are you serious?” Alexander jokingly pointed to the boat. 

“Incredibly. You’re the first to return after defeat by my hands. Please, join me.” Riverman moved his hand in an inviting gesture. 

“Fine.”  Alexander sighed and got onto the boat, struggling at first. “What kind of tea do you have?”

“Jade.” Riverman started to paddle out the boat. “It is my favorite kind of tea.” 

“I like green myself.” Alexander was still unsure of what was going on, but he thought that if he played along he would find an opening to strike.

“Green tea is good for you; it helps with digestion.” Riverman kept rowing out the boat, his arms pushing the oar out in long strides. 

“That’s mainly why I drank it. Before a meal, it really helped.” Alexander was using all of his willpower not to stutter or show his brewing anxiety. 

“If you wish to strike me here, I would not hold it against you.” Riverman looked Alexander dead in the eyes. “But if I were you, I would enjoy the tea. This world is becoming undone, and it's always nice to have a moment of peace.” 

Alexander’s nerves shot up, but what Riverman said got to him. He exhaled deeply and let himself relax. After all, he could sense no hostility from Riverman. 

“That’s better.” Riverman stopped rowing, put the oar down, and picked up the tea kettle. He placed his other hand at the bottom and started to heat it up. Alexander raised an eyebrow as he saw steam suddenly appear from the kettle, but he didn’t want to push it. Riverman then brought out two tea cups, poured out equal portions, then looked at Alexander. 

“Thank you.” Alexander picked up his cup, raised it in the air, then gave it a sip. Instantly, he was mesmerized by the flavor. “Wow, this is pretty good.” 

“There is a local tea-maker in town, and she always makes the best tea.” Riverman smiled. 

“You know Riverman, you still don’t make much sense. Why are you even out here if you like peace? Why even take over this river?” 

“I could say the same to you. Why do you fight?” Riverman shrugged and took another sip. “I can see the drive in your eyes, but where does it come from?” 

Alexander cocked his head. “I want to be the best version of myself. I want to prove to the world that I am something of note.” 

“So you fight for yourself?” Riverman looked at him. “Or maybe, your fight for some hope of self-actualization?”

“What do you mean?” Alexander was calm now, and he was focused on Riverman.

“Maybe you fight not to prove who you are to the world, but to prove yourself to yourself. You want to become you.” 

“That… doesn’t make much sense.” Alexander chuckled.

“It will in time, trust me.” 

“Alright, fine, let’s say that’s why I fight. Now answer my question, what’s up with you?”

“Why does anyone want to fight? I mean, before this we lived in a world of peace. Or at least, it was the most peaceful time in history. My guess is that everyone is exacting all of their violent and horrific fantasies. Nothing is stopping them now, and they know it.”

“There certainly are a lot of sickos out there. But law and order are being established one again.” 

“Law and order are not what separate man from beast. Man is what separates man from beast. I think this game is toxic to people.”

“I get what you mean. There are more slaves now than ever in human history from my count.” Alexander leaned back.

“I fight to be at my best.” Alexander raised an eyebrow and leaned forward. Riverman’s eyes went from a deep blue to a field of stars. In his eyes glowed a sea of constellations and beauty. “I fight no one who does not wish to fight me, instead acting as a challenge to all those who take it. I wish to simply be at my apex, and to be there, I need a worthy opponent.”

“Woah…” Alexander felt the world become a backdrop. 

“My greatest wish is to be defeated. Before this game, I wanted to reach the pinnacle of greatness in whatever I was to do. And when I entered this game, I swore that I would have the same mission. I killed the death knight, and when the Bloody Baron offered me a role as guardian of the river, I could not have been happier.”

“But,” Alexander shook off some of the charm. “But what about all the horrible things he has done?” Alexander remembered how Jade talked of the town. 

“It matters not to me. Those people are their own, and they too should strive to be the best. I merely extend his will as an opportunity to myself. After all, he was the one who spread the rumors of the ‘Riverman.’”

“So what is your real name?” 

“That, too, matters not. If you defeat me, you shall know.” Riverman gazed up at the stars. 

“So what happens if I do?’ Alexander was finally getting back into reality. 

“Then I shall withdraw from this post and seclude myself. I will train harder than I ever have, and when I feel I have surpassed my limits, I will return to find another worthy opponent. Such will be the cycle of my life.” 

“So you’re just going to constantly fight, lose, then fight again?” 

“Is that not what you do?” Riverman looked back at Alexander.

“Maybe.” Alexander started to think about the fight that would come soon. He did not feel ready. “But I want to be more. I don’t know just yet, but I feel like there’s a calling, a purpose to my existence.” 

“That is probably just Terra’s work. But still, you seem to have destiny wrapped around you.” Riverman stood up and grabbed his oar. 

“Thanks…” Alexander looked up as Riverman slowly paddled them back to shore. 

“I know that you are thinking of ways to defeat me. But I assure you that there aren’t many. Besides, I am level one-hundred-and-thirty-five.” Alexander shuddered. 

“But level only goes so far. I will defeat you.” 

“You can try.” 

 

The two reached the shore and got off the boat. The air was crisp and the moon was still full. The stars still twinkled and the river still flowed. But Alexander felt the weight of this moment. He felt the space around him grow heavy as the grass swayed at his feet. 

“Are you ready?” Riverman brought the oar with him and was standing before Alexander. 

“Yes.” 

This time, Alexander was ready. The oar came at breakneck speeds and Alexander barely dodged. The air around him fluttered with the strike and he jumped back. Adrenaline pumped through his system and he felt his heart ignite. 

Riverman came at him again, and the oar followed suit. It came bearing down on him, and he stepped out of the way just in the nick of time. Alexander reached out and grabbed hold of the oar. That was a mistake. Riverman picked up the oar with him attached and flung him several yards away. 

Alexander landed on his back, but he felt the fury build. He got up and activated his demon form. 

Red energy burst forth as horns grew out of his head. His vision became crisp and he could feel his reaction time improve.

Riverman walked, then jogged forward, oar in tow. He did hesitate at the display of power. He jumped up and slammed down his oar. Alexander barely dodged again, jumping to the side, then kicked at Riverman. It connected, and Alexander’s foot wound up in Riverman’s face. It hurt, but not for Riverman. He grinned, slamming the other end of the oar into Alexander’s face. 

His nose broke, again, and was forced back a couple feet. He cursed at the pain, even though it was incredibly dulled. Riverman did not hesitate, however, and slammed his oar into Alexander’s stomach, making him double over. 

Before Riverman could have the finishing blow, however, Alexander burst forward and tackled Riverman at the legs, bringing him to the ground. He pressed the advantage and started slamming Riverman in the face. Not for long, however, as Alexander was kicked several feet up into the air. And before he fell back to the ground, Riverman kicked him in the side, right in the liver, which sent Alexander flying. 

Alexander rolled over in pain as he heard Riverman approaching. He felt the flame in his heart slowly being extinguished, and he fought with everything to keep it alive. He re-focused himself, and through the coughing, wheezing, and chest spasms he got up again, only to find Riverman before him. He raised up his oar and brought it down. Alexander, using all of his strength, raised his hand up in time to catch it. The force immediately shattered his shoulder, but the demon form was now in full effect. 

The pain started to clear as he allowed the rage to flow. He purged away the fear, screaming out for all he was worth. His muscles barely complied as he not only held onto the oar, but stood up with it. Riverman blinked in surprise as Alexander grinned. 

Alexander pushed the oar away from him, forcing Riverman to take a step back. Then, with his mind now entirely focused, Alexander roared as he leaped forward. 

The two began a dance of sorts. Riverman was caught off guard by Alexander’s display of this alien martial arts style. It was gruesome, savage, and unpredictable. For the first time since they met, Riverman was on the defensive. Alexander pressed the advantage. 

“You are doing much better, Alexander.” Riverman said as he parried another attack. The only response he got was a wild scream. Alexander kept flying around, attacking whenever and wherever he could. Riverman could not get anything in with this wild barrage, and he could not predict Alexander’s next move. 

“But still, you’re just wild.” Riverman grunted as he took a punch to the chest. “You’re using up all your energy, and soon you’ll run out. The end is inevitable.” Alexander kept screaming, kept attacking, and kept defying those words. 

“You will not win here.” Riverman finally got a hit in, but it did not stop Alexander. “You’re just a mad dog, and although your technique is rare to say the least,” Riverman got another hit in. “It is not enough.” 

Alexander stopped his attacks and started heaving. His body was starting to shake. It had only been a few minutes, but it felt like a lifetime. He coughed up blood. His body was mangled. His vision blurred. But Riverman only had a couple scratches. 

“Now it is time for you to die. You are always welcome to come back, but please, go find someone else to fight and train harder.” Riverman slowly walked up to Alexander. 

“Now it is time to rest.” The oar came down, but Alexander would not give up so easily. He reached deep within his mind and re-created what happened with basher. With extreme willpower, he used his muscles to force his bones back into place, creating a small window for success. He used it to great effect, as he slammed his head into the side of the oar, knocking it off course. Riverman, in surprise, shot out a hand at Alexander. But he was ready. 

He dodged the attack, weaving through Riverman’s defense, and slammed his fist into Riverman’s head. It connected, and it forced Riverman back a foot. Alexander smirked. 

“Well done!” Riverman’s voice suddenly got violent, however, and he noticed bloodlust in his eyes. Alexander was barely keeping his body together. “You’ve earned this.” 

Riverman slammed his oar onto his leg, breaking it into pieces. But, to Alexander’s dismay, the pieces were merely breaking off of a massive trident, which Riverman brandished with intense, violent pride. Before he knew it, something had impaled his chest. When his vision returned, he saw Riverman holding a trident that was covered in blood. He stood helplessly as he saw his heart beat for the last time. 

0