Episode 23: Status Part 2
473 7 27
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
This chapter is supposed to have a Svilran image buuuut the artist is on holidays. I'm just leaving the editor note in here so that I can remember where to place the image later!)

 

"I'm truly very curious about everything, Fainn," Elma said as she sat across from me.

Svilran decided she wanted to do our guidance meetings in the <Home's> study. For some reason, though, she ran to her room as soon as we arrived.

"It's strange," Elma said. "When I was on my mission, I was certain I saw my Level increase. I mean, my magic power also increased back there. I was shocked to see my numbers here... to put it lightly." Elma's voice cracked as she spoke. It looked like, for a moment, she let me see her disappointment.

I put my hand on the table, and she timidly placed hers on it. "I can answer the question if you'd like."

Elma sniffled. "Yes, please." She rubbed her eyes with a finger and choked back some feelings.

I pat myself on the back for heading to the Inverse right before we sat down. Thanks to that, I got to question Narlivs and get the full story about what the stats meant.

"So, your numbers are different because of different standards across worlds. What Level did you get to in the other world?"

"I was Level 7."

"So, you were Level 7 according to that world. Here on our Hub, our Levels are graded against the entirety of the Imaginal Realm. So that's one thing. Our Level E-01 might cover Levels 1 to 10 in another world, as strange as that sounds. The second factor may be that the World applies special pressure, kind of like a gravity. It might Level you down, and then you Level Up, but when you return here, the gravity is gone, and you're back to your proper status."

"So in the second scenario... I pretty much got taken to Level -10, and climbed my way back up to, say, Level -3, and when I came back, I was back to my Level 1?"

"Pretty much. And also, keep in mind that E-Rank is higher than F-Rank. You're above one entire Rank."

"It's still a little shocking to have it so clearly laid out," she whispered as she opened the menu and poked around.

"To be honest, the more important factors are the stats and proficiencies. For instance, your dagger work--you're better than 45% of Imaginals who are 'C-Ranked' with daggers. That's pretty good, isn't it? Especially for someone who spent so much time locked up."

Elma chuckled. "You picked the most impressive one... I do wonder how that was possible." Elma disconnected her hand from her wrist and had it float into the air. "I wonder if it's because of this..."

I looked to the side--Narlivs had told me something that caught my attention on both sides.

"Fainn?" Elma asked.

I looked back at her. "Oh, sorry, I just got a feeling--"

The door swung open and hit the wall with a bang.

"I'M READY TO CONDUCT GUIDANCE!"

Svilran had finally shown up, and she came in wearing a suit jacket over a blue blouse that was undone down to the second button. She was wearing thick-framed glasses, had her hair in a ponytail, was wearing a pencil skirt, and was now strutting over to my side of the table in what sounded like heels.

"Fainn, is this what you felt?" Elma whispered, slowly removing her hand from mine.

"Uhh," I replied.

On the Inverse side, Narlivs had changed into a similar outfit and was giggling.

"No. I had no idea about this."

Svilran placed the clipboard she was carrying on the table and sat down, her breasts jiggling with every movement.

How are those things not popping out? I thought, a little scared one of the buttons would hit me in the eye.

"Okay, thank you for waiting. Elma dear, do you have any questions?"

"Uhh... Right, yes. Sorry Madam Goddess, I was distracted by your beauty."

Svilran squealed and nudged me many times. "Thank you!" She looked away from Elma, her smile goofy and her eyes twinkling. "It's just a little old thing."

"Anyway, Madam Goddess, Fainn and I were speaking about my percentiles."

I gave Svilran the quick summary of what we covered but was careful to not mention the thing about a world's gravity. That was, of course, at Narlivs' request. I had to withhold it to not deprive Svilran of learning about it through her own faculties or something... Honestly, I made a note to question Narlivs later. Anyway, we were back on track with a thought Elma had.

"So, I'm happy I'm good with daggers, but one thing that really surprised me was that my rating with my 'Remote Arms' was so low. I mean..." Elma made her hand zip around. "This is something I just do. How could I be so pathetic?"

"Well, that is simple," Svilran said nonchalantly. "It's because you're not using the ability correctly."

Elma's lips parted slightly as her mouth started to hang. She must have been taken aback by how direct Svilran was.

"Svilran, isn't that harsh?" I asked.

"No? It's true. Fainn, did you not study the info we have on Elma's race thanks to the <Observatory>?"

I winced. "I don't think I did... I just remembered what you told me."

"Tsk tsk, Fainn." Svilran shot me a teasing smile before turning her attention back to Elma. "Your ability isn't 'Remote Hands." It is 'Remote Arms.' You can disconnect more than just your hands. According to our information, you should be able to separate your arms into many segments."

Elma fell back onto her chair. "Really?" She looked up and chuckled. "Well, no wonder! Yes, I would be remiss to say that I was 'proficient' if that is the case." Elma let out a sigh of relief. "Okay, that actually puts my mind at ease. I'll have to practice more..."

"Given the rankings, Elma," I said, "it's safe to assume that the vast majority of Witherspells can do it." I grinned. "If the majority can do it, so can you."

"I agree." Elma made her hand float in front of her. "I wonder if I would have learned this if I was around more Witherspells..."

"Maybe!" Svilran said, her eyes twinkling. "But don't worry! You can learn it now! The future is still in your hands!" Svilran giggled. "Or should I say arms?"

Elma chuckled at Svilran's enthusiasm and nodded.

"Anyway, the next thing you should be aware of is your Class--"

"Ahh, that old video game staple," I said.

Elma looked at her screen. "Trainee Rogue? Well, I would say that's appropriate. Can't say I'm sure how I'm a 'Trainee' when I don't have a trainer."

"I can answer that!" Svilran replied. She adjusted her glasses and dived in. "'Trainee' is the generic identifier for a less than 'Basic' level."

Elma and I both looked at her and "Huh'ed?" simultaneously.

"Okay, let me start over. There is the Rogue class. It is rated as 'Basic.'"

"Okay, so we're using the Rarity rankings for classes. Okay," I said.

"Yes. But with every class, the 'Base' class is 'Basic,' even if the Base class might have been hard to unlock. As you improve with the class, a Hero can promote and go to the next ranking connected to the base class. So, after Rogue, there is the Rare Rogue, and then the Super Rare Rogue... I don't know what they look like, though. We only just learned about classes with the introduction of the <Status Shrine>."

"So, what's the deal with the 'Trainee,' designator?" I asked.

"It denotes that Elma is on her way to naturally gaining the Rogue class. And I have that note. One can gain a class naturally through effort, or they can gain one through the Hub's 'magic.'"

"Oh, there will probably be something we can unlock that will let us do it..."

"That's what I think too," Svilran said. "Just keep doing as you're doing, Elma. Given your proficiency with daggers and your current class, the Rogue class seems like a good fit, just by glancing at the status data."

"We don't have a way of accessing information about the Rogue class, huh, Svilran?"

"I'm afraid not. With the current level, we can't really get descriptions of the various elements on the Status Menu. All we received was the information on how to read the Status Menu."

I raised a finger. "Oh, but we know something like the <Hero Archive> has the info on tags."

"That's right, Fainn. Speaking of tags, Elma, do you want to go through these?"

"Sure. I'm willing to learn anything that I can."

"So, again, we can't actually see what these tags mean, but we can guess. At the moment, what we know is that the Hub uses these tags to categorize you. 'Gray-Skinned' is probably something the <Observatory> uses."

"Yes, I can see that being something like a prerequisite for going to a world," Elma replied.

"I wonder if all the Heroes will have skin color tags..." I muttered.

"The Roguish tag is probably tied to your class. The Vampirism Victim tag is tied to your history. This Dark Hero tag--I do not know what to make of it. What's even a 'Dark Hero?' Isn't that a contradiction?"

As Svilran was busy squinting at Elma's screen, Elma and I exchanged knowing nods. As far as we were concerned, the Dark Hero tag was an acknowledgment of the fact that Elma was very willing to use extreme measures in the pursuit of her justice. It was a little reassuring to know the Hub was still okay with her disposition, but on the other hand, it might have had a darker implication. Since I was still down there with Narlivs, I decided to ask her.

***

"I think you're right in your suppositions, Fainn," Narlivs said. "The Imaginal Realms are too vast and plentiful. There are many worlds where things have gone too far and need to be forcefully corrected. A pure, innocent light may not be enough to survive a cruel, dark world."

"Do you think there will be situations where a Hero could be the best of the worst, so to say?"

"Most certainly. But that's not a bad thing. That is just a natural aspect of soul development. There could be a miserable person in a miserable world. Maybe their soul is black too. But if that person resolves to go against the world and make it even slightly better, with the start of some noble cause fueling them, would they not be a Hero?"

"Yeah, in the sense of being one person against the world... But, for our purposes, would they get along well with our Heroes if we picked up someone like that?"

Narlivs smiled. "Don't worry. Svilran can temper them, and if not, options will become available to us."

***

"Why did that sound so dark?"

Elma and Svilran looked at me, and I realized my response to Narlivs slipped out.

"Sorry, just thinking about the tag."

"I know, right? Why even have it?" Svilran followed. "Anyway, the final tag has to do with a Witherspell's origins. They're apparently related to elves, according to our information."

"Ahh, that is probably why people say I look one," Elma said. "Elves are just those Imaginals with long ears that are good at casting magic, yes?"

I nodded. "Basically."

We three talked for a bit longer, but there really wasn't much more to say. Elma, though--she looked pretty cheerful by the end of it. Maybe it was Svilran's natural aura, but I really hoped it was Elma feeling better. To me, it looked like things had turned when Svilran told her there were more ways of using her hands. That simple truth seemed to have put things in perspective for her. Maybe, she felt like she had more control of the situation now. It was like she could see the path ahead of her now.

"Okay, Fainn. I will stay here and compile my notes," Svilran said, putting on airs. "Can you please fetch another?"

I chuckled and bowed. "Of course, Boss." I smirked at Elma, and she walked with me out the door.

"Thank you, Madam Goddess," Elma said as she closed the door.

Outside the house's door, we let out simultaneous sighs and stretched.

"Fainn, is Madam Goddess okay with our relationship now?"

I raised a brow at her. "Relationship, huh?"

I watched as her eyes widened and her gray cheeks got redder. She stammered. "W-Was that too presumptuous of me? I'm sorry! I didn't mean any offense--"

"No, no," I said, putting a grin back on. "I was just teasing."

"Oh," Elma said, a relieved smile on her face.

"Don't worry about it. Svilran would rather just not talk about it. She and I are fine, though."

Elma nodded many times. "Of course--that's what I thought. I just wanted to make sure."

"Dorthaunzee's over in the watermelon jungle wtih Kanae. Cover your ears."

"Very well."

I shouted at the top of my lungs. "Dorthaunzee! We're interviewing the next person!" I turned back at Elma. "So yeah, what are you thinking right now?"

"I'm thinking that I want to train and so on. I'll be able to get practice in the Imaginal Realm's worlds, given all the monsters that appear, but I would appreciate it if we could build training facilities here in the Hub in the future."

"I can definitely look into that, Elma."

"Thank you." Elma let out a breath. "I will be off then--"

"Oh, Elma, one thing before I let you go."

"Yes?"

"In the last mission, you found something strange," I said, recalling what Narlivs had told me she felt coming from Elma. "Do you know what I'm referring to?"

Elma cocked her head at me but then became animated. "Oh! That's right! I forgot!"

She dug around in her satchel and pulled out a small, prism-shaped gem. I held out my hand, and she passed it to me.

"Dorthaunzee found this in the remains of the creature we faced. What was strange about it was that it was the only solid remain. It... it also feels strange, but that may be because it carries some of the creature's essence."

["Fainn, hand this to Svilran when you get a chance and are alone. We need to be able to interface with it before we can intuit its nature,"] Narlivs said.

I turned my attention back to Elma. "We'll investigate this."

I noticed something out of the corner of my eye--it was a notification from the Individualized Correspondence's menu. I checked it and discovered that I unlocked two new facilities. The Rare <Training Range> and the Ultra Rare <Material Analyzer>.

Why do I keep getting these things and having to decide whether I want Svilran to know?

"Oh, there come the two..." Elma said.

I looked over and saw Dorth wheeling up Kanae.

"Fainn, I think you should speak with Kanae next. Give her something to look forward to."

I chuckled. "You're always so inspiring, Elma."

"Hmm, please. I'm not so impressive."

27