Episode 31: The Ritual Part 5
257 2 15
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

One hour later. Kanae was resting in the <Infirmary> while Svilran and Elma sat at the fountain with smiles on their faces.

"This was fun, wasn't it, Elma?"

"Yeah... I had my doubts, but... Yeah, wow. Kanae did it... More dramatic than I expected, but she did it... If she ever tries to stop me from helping my friend again, though..."

"Oh come on, Elma," Svilran said, bumping shoulders with Elma. "It all turned out okay."

"No, the journey matters too. Zee didn't have to suffer that discomfort."

"Please be kind to Kanae, and please try to understand her perspective--"

"What perspective, Madam Goddess? Dorth was having a problem."

"Well, consider the world that Kanae came from. It's a tough, almost dead world. I doubt a clothing malfunction is something that those people would care about... Also, I don't think Kanae cares about clothing. Today was the first day she wore clothing..."

Elma frowned, shaking her head.

"What I am saying, Elma, is that this is what it means to be different worlds. We value things differently. Kanae..." Svilran's discomfort showed for a second. "She does not value wardrobe malfunctions because she doesn't value nudity and modesty the way we do."

"Hmm... I can appreciate different values, but I can also appreciate that we are coming together here. I can appreciate that we may one day, very much, have a Hero who must do something like... eat people's misery, and that is just because that is who the Hero is and how their world worked. But, even if that were the case, I would not agree with letting said Hero make us miserable so that their diet could be supplied. This is the Hero Hub. We are the one place that could accommodate and help our Heroes adapt. We can respect their origins, but they can respect their new lives and our homes." Elma peeked at Svilran, noticed she was stunned, and started doubting her approach. "Madam Goddess, I--"

Svilran lunged toward Elma and hugged her. "Elma! You believe in us so much!"

Elma laughed as Svilran rubbed her cheek against Elma's. "Okay, okay, calm down, Madam Goddess."

The two settled down again, both with subtle smiles on their faces.

"Did you see how happy she looked, Elma? I think we really got to see her today... She wasn't just our injured friend."

Elma thought back to all the instances of those goofy poses and passion. Then she chuckled. "Yeah. I'm glad she was able to open up a little, all things considered."

"She was right. Helping young love really enriches the soul! I'm so excited to do this again."

"Without compromising on our values and decency, yes?"

"Yes, yes, of course. I don't want anyone to be seriously hurt."

"Okay... You know that means Fainn will be seducing another woman, right?"

Svilran cocked her head. "Not necessarily... We'll cross that bridge when we get there."

"Oh, hey everyone!"

Elma and Svilran looked over toward the Jungle to see Fainn and Dorthaunzee approaching, hand-in-hand.

Elma whistled. "What's going on over there? Fainn, did you do something unholy?"

Fainn gulped.

"Yes, please do tell, Fainn. Oh, Dorthaunzee, you're so cute!"

Fainn chuckled. He took turns looking into Svilran and Elma's eyes, and then he suddenly showed the crown of his head.

"Elma! Svilran! I'm sorry to drop this on you, but I'd like to pursue a relationship with Dorthaunzee as well."

Dorthaunzee, equally as nervous despite knowing the two were on her side, bowed as well.

Svilran and Elma exchanged looks and then faced the new couple.

""We approve.""

Fainn looked up at the two, relieved. "Really?"

Svilran smiled. "We can talk about it more later, but for now, please just be happy."

"I'm just a former slave girl. I'm not going to kick up a fuss. I'm already living out my dreams."

"You two," Fainn said as he wiped his eyes. "Thanks! I promise I'll do my best for all of you."

Elma smiled and stood up. "As will I." She stretched with a smile on her face. "I bet there are a few Missions I could do."

Dorthaunzee was about to follow Elma when Elma held up her hand. "Nah, don't worry about it, Zee. Spend the day with Fainn. Get to know each other." Elma winked at her. "You know, the normal way."

Dorthaunzee smiled with her eyes.

"Well, we can see you off then, Elma," Fainn said.

"Of course we can!" Svilran followed. "Maybe Dorthaunzee can use her incredible skills and find some super easy missions for you!"

Dorthaunzee nodded, and Elma chuckled. "Yeah... alright. Let's do that."

Before moving with the group, Elma looked over toward the <Infirmary>.

"I hope today soothed your heart as much as it did mine," she whispered. "I think I understand what you might be feeling... You were one of us the moment you were summoned here. You don't have to force yourself to go above and beyond for us. We're with you regardless. You've earned that much."

With that, Elma followed the group to <Observatory>.

Meanwhile, at the <Infirmary>--

"That really was fun," Kanae whispered to herself. She was finally relaxing again, the day's fatigue slipping out of her like sweat would. "But I'm so tired."

In truth, Kanae had been feeling ill since the middle of the first step.

"But I just couldn't leave it half-done," Kanae whispered. "And I'm so happy I stuck it out."

Elma had made jokes about the percentage Kanae was at. Kanae chuckled at the remarks as she recalled them. They weren't so wrong. Kanae was certainly pushing herself well past her limits. But in the end...

"It was all worth it... And I'm so happy for you, Dorth. We 'losers who were given a second chance' deserve to be happy."

Kanae thought back to the angelic child she failed to escort.

"I couldn't help you have a future... but I'll do my best to help everyone after you... until the day I can help you too... And this time, I won't be alone."

Kanae smiled as she thought about how much work Elma and Svilran did while humoring her scheme. "They might be able to help me when I fall short... So I'll do my best to ensure that I have people who are willing to stand by me when that time comes. I don't care how far I have to go. This time, I'll win over comrades who can make up for my shortcomings."

Kanae, tired from pushing herself beyond her limits, fell asleep with a wide smile on her face.

 

 

Hey everyone. Sorry for the delay. The past two weeks were rough. We're back and continuing.

15