Episode 006: Elma’s Adventure Log
1.5k 3 63
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“I still can’t believe we made it so far!”

“I’m so sure we’re so far ahead!”

“We might actually be able to do it, guys. We might actually be able to find some treasure.”

“Everyone, remember, we’ve got to thank Miss Elma!”

The party of four looked at the other member sitting around the magic campfire together with them.

“Huh? What?” Elma asked as she raised her head from her knees.

The young man with the messy hair ahead of her chuckled. “Thanks, Elma. Your magic hands are really helping us get past all these traps and puzzles.”

Elma’s chuckle was soft. “It’s my pleasure, Harry.”

The young man in front of her—one wearing cheap hard leather armor over a green tunic was Harry Rals, the person her Mission designated as ‘Hero.’ He was a young, kind man from humble beginnings. From what Elma had gathered, his father was once a famous soldier. That father had long since passed. Now, Harry wanted to follow in his father’s footsteps.

Elma shifted her eyes to the one next to Harry. Orlan Barns.

“We shouldn’t get cocky and drop our guards,” he said to the group.

Orlan, a muscular and tan young man, was Harry’s cousin. He was sort of like the group’s muscle. While Harry was a lancer, Orlan swung around an old ax that had been in his family for generations. He was similarly equipped to Harry—which made sense since they were both from the same small town. Elma had noticed that Harry would sometimes mirror Orlan’s mannerisms. The young Hero probably looked up to his cousin a great deal.

Next was a petite young lady, robed, blond, bright-eyed, and bushy-tailed—Sarin Brewer. She was the type of girl that people would be tempted to manipulate. When that friendly face smiled at you, it made one feel inexplicably warm. Yes, that type was definitely the kind people would want to sequester. She definitely radiated a light that Elma herself was not afraid to say she could never match. That said, the woman’s presence was suspicious. The other woman that accompanied her further stoked Elma’s curious flames.

Iyohar Tris. This mahogany-haired beauty stole gazes—that much was certain. Buxom and curvy, this woman came to this dungeon wearing a tight-fitting one-piece dress that showed off her cleavage and had a slit so high Elma wondered if she was wearing anything beneath the dress. The only thing this magic caster wore over her dress was the open jacket. Her witch’s hat was also notable in that it really cemented her role as a spellcaster. 

The two women, Sarin and Iyohar, had only met the boys today. Elma had joined up with the group moments after, feeding them a story about being someone hoping to turn her luck around. The story resonated with the Hero. 

Iyohar also showed herself to be worldly. Upon meeting, she had asked Elma if she was a dark elf, something Elma shrugged at, playing the role of someone who wasn’t entirely sure of her heritage. The vulnerability quickly got her accepted into the group.

Still, Elma was suspicious of the two. Something was strange about Sarin’s presence. Elma was reminded of the annoying upper-class undead children from her homeworld. Sarin had the same air as them, in the sense that she was out-of-touch. Iyohar, meanwhile, was exceedingly vigilant, and her focus was centered on Sarin. Elma’s best guess? Iyohar was a bodyguard protecting some noble’s daughter.

Elma was a little bothered that the cousins just welcomed them with open arms and didn’t pry, but it was because of that nature that Elma, herself, was welcomed. If she were to pry, it would only cause disharmony.

“Elma, you must show me how to use that magic sometime,” Iyohar said as she handed Elma some tea she brewed. “I would love to send my hands flying. Imagine all the books I would be able to collect without having to bother the librarian.”

“Maybe after all this is over. Can’t have you all try to ditch me.”

The group laughed with Harry, saying he would never, aghast at the thought. He was truly a straight forward Hero, that one.

Suspicions aside, Elma truly enjoyed being with such a warm and happy group. Today, after forming a formal party and venturing into the dungeon, they had truly grown more comfortable with each other. They had all also risen to the challenge in their own ways. 

Elma’s hope that she would be useful was also answered. Thanks to her floating hands, she was able to interact with many mechanisms that would have otherwise taken many dozens of minutes to reach and figure out. A strategy that the group ended up using very often was having Elma and Sarin in the center with the other three surrounding them and fending off the dungeon’s monsters—run-of-the-mill goblins, bats, and slimes. When she first saw the monsters, Elma was shocked. Nochfall Maya did not have those types. She was happy, however, that her shock didn’t give her away.

For all their efforts, the group had already found twelve pieces of treasure. From what Elma could tell, they weren’t too impressive, so they likely weren’t the critical pieces. Elma, herself, had been given two items, a staff that helped with magic casting and a decorated dagger. The staff was a surprise, but she was very happy to have been given the weapon she thought she could excel with.

“So, Miss Elma,” Sarin said, “what are your plans after the festival?”

“Yeah! At this rate, you’ll definitely be able to do something when you get out of here!” Harry followed.

Elma smiled faintly as she thought of that place. “Yeah... I plan to really establish myself... And maybe settle down in a safe place. I want to keep adventuring, but... I kind of want a safe place to rest my head...”

“A place to go back to,” Orlan replied. “Yeah, Harry and I understand that.” He looked at Harry and wagged his chin at Elma. Harry nodded in understanding.

“Elma, if you want, Orlan and I wouldn’t mind accompanying you to a safer country.”

“Oh, that’s a good idea,” Iyohar said. “This human-filled country isn’t good for elves, much less dark elves. Getting these strong gentlemen to escort you out may be the best move.”

Elma was touched, so much so that she almost cried. She still wasn’t good at handling kindness. 

“No...” She cracked a smile. “I think I need to do this on my own... But if I’m ever in the area again, I would certainly enjoy joining forces with you all.”

Harry chuckled and looked at Sarin. “Do you two think you’d want to team up with us again sometime?”

Sarin was bashful in her response. “If you’d have us, I would most certainly join.”

“Heh, we could become a festival party and explore whenever a dungeon pops up,” Orlan suggested.

“That sounds like a great idea!” Sarin said. “Iyohar? We could do that, couldn’t we?”

“I guess I could take a break from my busy schedule...” she playfully replied.

That cold, stone-block chamber within the massive labyrinth was filled with warm laughs. Elma, as she enjoyed the atmosphere, hoped her new friends at the Hero Hub were getting along well without her.

 

Hello! Has anyone seen Restaurant To Another World? This segment here is a bit inspired by that anime's style. Anyway, as the Heroes go on Missions, you'll have small moments like these when they're important for character development or progression. Anyway, this is the Hero's Party.

Elma's already caught onto a few things. There's other little things she's noticed too.

Elma's Observation Log:

Harry has a crush on Sarin, and Sarin, likewise. Despite that, he keeps staring at Iyohar.

Orlan is much more mature. He keeps looking at a locket though.

Iyohar has been eyeing me... She might either be suspicious or be trying to copy my 'magic.'

I saw Sarin praying for a bat she swatted down... She might have been crying too.

Sarin's also way too touchy.

I may have seen Iyohar drooling when Sarin bent over... That may have been bad timing. They wouldn't make a pervert a bodyguard, would they?

Harry needs to work on his lance skills. He almost ran Sarin and I through. He was mere moments from Iyohar killing him. But then, Iyohar was mere moments from Orlan cutting through her heels with his ax... Thankfully everyone survived that terrible first hour. Incidentally, Orlan is very good at aiming for the heels. I'm beginning to think he's actively trying to cut the tendons of every goblin he meets.

Oh. I gave Sarin a stomach ache... I don't think anyone's noticed it was me.

Elma's Observation Log End

 

On a personal note, I just released a new novel, so I'm feeling stronger. I'll put up another thousand or so words later today. We're going back to the Hub to check on Dorthaunzee.

63