Episode 015: Dorthaunzee’s Solo Mission
904 3 35
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Dorthaunzee's Mission: Hero In Need Of Magic Caster

The Hero of Tella Dohne, Almac Righor, has entered a tournament in the Royal Captial of Bolindo. He and his childhood friends, Faye and Rolf, hope to win access to a legendary vault of treasure that may hold the key to saving their childhood friend from a mysterious illness. However, the tournament is fraught with danger and filled with competitors who seek entry to the legendary vault. The party lacks a true magic caster. Will you be able to help them?

Completion Condition: Help Almac and his party reach the quarter-finals of the Grand Treasure Tournament.

***

Dorthaunzee had acted fast upon descending into the Royal City of Bolindo. This royal city, one found in the desert and built around a massive oasis, was one of warm lanterns and sandstone buildings.

The Hero Hub's nun had landed in a secluded alleyway and had quickly run out as she tied her scarf around her mouth-less face. Her hand lingered on the scarf--it was one that Elma had snatched for her when they infiltrated the home of the men who conspired to have a Hero assassinated. The gift had humble origins, but it was still precious to Dorthaunzee. Her staff, another gift from Elma, held a similar significance.

With only the Hero's face as a clue, Dorthaunzee ran through the streets quickly, her eyes scanning the faces of the desert-dwelling folks as she passed.

It was night, and the city was well-lit. Many festivities were underway, and the populace was excited. She kept searching, unable to study anything for long. She knew that she had landed near the Hero. She just needed to find him.

Finally, after an hour, she spotted Almac and his party walking past stalls. The three seemed to have a shadow of misery over them. Maybe they had realized how difficult the tournament would be and were discouraged?

Dorthaunzee studied her environment now that she could. She saw where the party was headed and stared further down the street. She noticed that a little tucked away between two fruit-and-trinket stalls was a small mat beneath a canopy. Was its occupant away?

Dorthaunzee came up with an idea and quickly ran to the mat, eliciting strange stares from the vendors as they watched her. The vendors let her be, thinking she was an opportunistic beggar who was stealing the place of the old man who had been there hours before.

Dorthaunzee sat and waited with a satisfied gaze, her staff across her lap, watching the party as they came closer.

Ten minutes later, the party was still in front of a stall selling accessories. Another ten minutes later, Dorthaunzee watched as a child in a ratty cloak had run into Almac while carrying a bag of bread. The Hero and his friends seemed to be consoling the child. Another five minutes later, Dorthaunzee watched as an irritated shopkeeper had come huffing-and-puffing out of the crowd, intent on taking the child back with him. The child hid behind the Hero as he defended her.

Thirty minutes had now passed, and Dorthaunzee was still watching events unfold. The Hero had paid for the bread, and the shopkeeper was on his way. With that trouble resolved, the child had gone on their way, waving at the Hero as they ran.

Three minutes later, the Hero and his party continued perusing stalls, all with a smile on their face. Dorthaunzee, however, felt something strange and looked up to a nearby roof to see a red-haired and dangerous-looking woman giggling and looking down at the party. She was wearing dark boots, a purple--and revealing--tunic with a black cloak on top. She also had many daggers dangling from her hips... The woman seemed to be cackling now.

How had no one else noticed? It was strange. She was very noticeable.

Dorthaunzee had climbed onto a roof once before, but she was with Elma when she had and was definitely much more mature about it. Who would laugh because they were on a roof? Someone godless and in need of divine guidance--that's who.

Elma was also much more calm and clearly knew what she was doing.

Did heights excite the cackling woman? Dorthaunzee couldn't relate. She needed the thought of Fainn biting down on her shoulder at minimum in order to feel excitement.

Upon closer inspection, the woman was standing near the edge. Wasn't she scared a light breeze would cause her to lose her balance?

"That woman needs our Lord and Savior," Dorthaunzee thought to herself as she prayed for the woman's sake. She felt her tentacles stir and thought of Fainn. They quieted down immediately.

Another ten minutes passed, and finally, the Hero's party was near.

Game time.

The moment the Hero reached the stall to her left, she flung her staff down. They would see her staff and notice her... Except she wasn't close enough to get their attention. She quickly grabbed the mat she was sitting on and scooched forward, swinging her staff out until she got the attention of the Hero's party member, Faye.

"Huh? Excuse me?" Faye asked. The Hero stopped to look at what got Faye's attention.

Excellent! The Hero was looking right at Dorthaunzee. Her eyes meeting his, she beckoned him to come closer.

The Hero looked at his friends, and the two shrugged. With a cautious look, he stepped toward Dorthaunzee. "Hi there... Are you peddling something?" he asked.

Dorthaunzee beckoned him closer.

"Why not?" he muttered and came closer.

Dorthaunzee stuck out her hand and used her healing magic on the Hero.

Immediately upon seeing and experiencing her magic, he jumped in place. "M-Magic?! And... is it healing magic?! My hand feels so nice!"

The two shopkeepers on either side of the Hero looked at Dorthaunzee, absolutely stunned. Dorthaunzee, meanwhile, smiled triumphantly on the inside.

The Hero looked at his friends, who started smiling.

"Hey, she looks like one of those holy women from the north," said Rolf.

"Almac! This might be a chance!" followed Faye.

Hope--they had hope.

The Hero turned his gaze to Dorthaunzee once more and immediately fell to the ground. He slammed his head into the dirt, startling Dorthaunzee so severely she had to imagine Fainn in his most nightmarish form in order to keep her tentacles at bay.

"Please! Miss Maiden! Please! We need your help." He raised his head, his eyes desperate. "Please! Could you please join us in the Grand Treasure Tournament? We don't have much, but we're strong. We'll do whatever you want!"

What happened next surprised every onlooker. Dorthaunzee had reached out and patted his head. She asked for nothing. She, just smiling with her eyes, nodded.

Almac couldn't believe it. Tears came to his eyes as relief washed over him. His party had found a kind healer who asked for nothing in return.

Dorthaunzee was similarly relieved. She was now one step closer to helping Elma. Everything was going smoothly so far.

Okay, here we go. The Dorthaunzee power hour.

35