Episode 015: Dorthaunzee’s Solo Mission Part 02
765 2 34
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Dorthaunzee’s Elma-like Notes--

Almac Righor, a young green-haired man, relatively healthy. He has the face the of a child in need of guidance, one that I would gladly light the way for. His jawline was like a child’s hand holding a handful of sand; too delicate and prone to injury from the most insignificant of sources. This poor soul was like the green leaf on a neglected plant. Yes, he was the last sign of strength, but neglect him further and he would blow away. Praise the Hero Hub for reaching you, Almac Righor... My Savior is still superior. Almac Righor is 2% as great as my Savior.

Rolf, last name unknown. A man of dark skin and dark hair. He stands a little taller than Almac, and looks to be a little better nourished. He is a source of strength, the dying stem that helps the leaf stay on the dying plant. This young man is accomplishing the impossible. I sense incredible strength from him. Should this man perish, and his soul disappear into the Abyss, Almac will surely fall. He is 4% as great as my Savior.

Faye, last name unknown. A young woman--a tag-along who seems to be as kind as she is charming. Her eyes are bright and her hair is like fields of wheat. She is small, but she carries strength in her heart. She would be welcome in any party. She shines brighter than my own lantern--how lucky for the two she travels with.

She is 16% as brilliant as the goddess of the Hero Hub, Svilran... But Svilran is only 0.5 % as great as my Savior.

Truly, after meeting these souls, I have come to further appreciate my Savior. His teeth are unmatched. Those teeth like pearls, glistening as they come down on me. Shining like jewels, twinkling like diamonds... Penetrate me, My Savior and send fear into the deepest core of my person--Ahh, did I write that down? Apologies, apologies, 100 apologies. My Lord, cast my soul into a pit of repentance--I am on a job, I must not be distracted--

[Dorthaunzee’s notes devolved into ramblings... Perhaps it would be best if these notes never see the light of day.]

 

***

 

Much to Dorthaunzee’s delight, the tournament would begin on the next day at the ninth hour and would run for the rest of the day.

This would be the preliminary round.

This particular tournament only came around every fifty or so years, and this time, there were many interested parties. With the current numbers, it was expected that any party reaching the quarter-finals would end up having four preliminary matches. The quarter-finals would then be held on the next day. That was all--Dorthaunzee just had to get them to the day after tomorrow. Then she would succeed and the Hero Hub would gain an <Infirmary>.

And now, the heroes were sorting out one final detail.

“So... you’re only going to help us get to the quarter-finals?” asked Almac.

The party plus Dorthaunzee had settled in on the first floor of the inn Almac was staying at. She had written a message for the group--thankful that the effects of the Hero Hub and its <Portal> were smoothing over communication--and was now hoping they would be fine with her terms.

“And you’re sure you don’t want to enter the treasure vault with us if we win?” Almac asked.

Dorthaunzee showed him a thumbs up. She was beaming. Almac wasn’t accepting her at face value, though.

He cocked his head and crossed his arms. “I guess I’m just curious about why you’re being so charitable--“

“Alm! Stop being so difficult!” Rolf yelled merrily. He swung his arm around Almac’s neck and pulled him in closer while he gulped down a mug of mead. “Don’t you get it? This is what it means to be a holy woman! She came to us in our time of need and is willing to help us out of the kindness of her heart!”

“But that just seems too good to be true...” Almac replied, wiping Rolf’s manly tears from his face.

Faye raised her hand. “Actually, if I may. Miss Maiden, I heard that holy women have to live a life of service for a few years. Is that what you’re doing? Are you being of service?”

That sounded convenient. Dorthaunzee immediately nodded and put her hands together in prayer.

“Oh wow... I hope you’re able to see it through, Miss Maiden!” Faye enthusiastically replied. “Another question--what is that lantern that hangs above your head?”

Dorthaunzee narrowed her eyes and furiously began writing something down on her notepad. One minute later, she showed her notepad for Faye to read.

“‘This lantern is the symbol of my devotion to my Lord,’” Faye read. “‘It represents my vow to travel in the dark and be a guiding light for the lost passengers’--hmm? No, sorry, ‘dreamers.’ How did I make that mistake? Anyway, ‘Though my light represents danger, it is still a waypoint for those too far lost. I will travel, always hopeful that I can be someone’s light in the darkness.’”

Faye wiped a tear from her eye and nodded many times.

“Okay, I think I get it.” She turned to Almac. “Don’t you see, Alm? This woman is a truly devoted one. She only wishes to do her best and help us get on our feet. We can’t get too close to her, however. In other words, she’s not there to help people who are fine enough; she’s there to help the truly lost. When we get to the quarter-finals, that’s when she’ll have done her job! It’s up to us to walk beyond the safety of her light and into the future!”

Dorthaunzee, impressed, started clapping excitedly.

“Miss Maiden, one last question. Did you take a vow of silence?”

Dorthaunzee cocked her head. She was born without a mouth, so it wasn’t like a vow of silence would be hard. And if it weren’t hard, it would defeat the point... Still, she didn’t need to rock the boat, so she nodded instead.

“How admirable,” Faye said, awestruck.

“Well...” Almac scratched the back of his head. “Honestly, I don’t really get pious people... but if you’re okay with it, then, thank you very much, Miss Maiden!”

Once more, Almac showed the crown of his head, and once more, Dorthaunzee patted his head.

“Oh, come on,” he said, blushing. “Okay! You’re a new member! We’ve got to practice! We’ve got less than half a day to get you acquainted with our abilities!”

 

***

Back at the Hero Hub--

 

The <Wishing Fountain> was right in front of me. I was contemplating taking a shot at expediting things. It was then that someone called out to me.

“Fainn?” Svilran came up beside me. “Are you doing okay?”

“I am...” I looked up at the starry sky. It had just turned to ‘nighttime’ for the Hero Hub. “Dorth met with the Hero. They went over strategies, and now Dorth is sleeping. Their tournament is going to begin overnight for us.”

“So, you didn’t need to watch over her... and now you’re here.”

I looked at Svilran out the corner of my eye. “You’re not watching over Elma?”

“I am. I’m keeping my awareness on her. It’s just that I saw you out here from the window and thought you might need company.”

“Is she getting better?”

Svilran shook her head. “I think her condition is deteriorating slowly. She woke up long enough for me to feed her some watermelon puree, but that’s all.”

“... I see.”

“Fainn, I don’t think this would be a wise choice--making a wish, I mean. If we lose the gamble and we invite a disaster while Elma needs us...”

“I know. It’s just frustrating.” I sighed and shook my head. “I’ll take over looking after Elma for now. Want to switch places and go watch over Dorth? You’re better than me at operating the telescope, so maybe you could also find some good worlds while you’re at it.”

“Very well. It would be my pleasure. I’ll come switch with you in a few hours, though. Is that okay?”

“Of course,” I said.

And so I went off to check on Elma, unable to do anything else. At least there weren’t any Parasites around.

 

 

Background details: Dorth actually doesn't like that she's less afraid of Fainn when Svilran is around.

34