Chapter 1
16 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A beeping noise wasn't the only sound that woke me up. It was also the shrill scream coming from not too far away. I darted upwards. What was that?! I grabbed a shirt and was pulling it over my head as I headed towards the window overlooking the neighborhood. A couple houses down a woman came running out of a house. She screamed again. I almost opened the door and yelled at her for waking me up when I saw a man throwing himself out the window towards her. It shattered and pieces of the glass went into the man but he didn't seem to notice. He was holding some kind of kitchen tool. Something wooden. Looked like a spoon. He went running after the woman as she ran down the street. I backed away from my window, hoping she wasn't about to lead that clearly unstable man to me. I watched as she ran to my house.

"No no no!"

I ran and locked the door. I was not opening the door and giving that psycho a chance to get into my house. The woman banged on my door but I refused to do anything about it. I heard her scream before a loud crunching sound.

I felt like I couldn't breathe. I pressed my ear to the door and waited. It was hard to hear anything so I went to my phone and checked the live feed of my security camera. The psycho stood staring at my door, the crumpled body of the woman was at his feet along with the bloody kitchen tool. The man didn't try anything, all he did was stare. Suddenly his head shot up and stared straight at the camera. I quickly turned off my phone. I ran away from the door and to my room. I locked the door and began pacing around my room. What was I supposed to do?! Some psycho of a man was at my door, had killed someone in front of my house and knew I was here! What was he gonna do?

My question was answered when a banging came with a scream of a man. He sounded like a monkey on drugs. I would've laughed if I hadn't been so terrified. Was this psycho trying to get in my house? I checked the live feed again and saw that yes, he was trying to get in. Or I assumed. I didn't know why else he'd be banging on my door with all his might. Maybe he thought I'd let him in? What an idiot. I looked frantically around the room, looking for a way to escape. Suddenly the banging grew louder and a loud snapping noise came then a thud. Had he just broken open my locked door with his bare hands?! I frantically grabbed a sweater. My eyes swept the room and saw my window. I raced to it and opened it. I dropped down and began running, leaving the psycho and my home. I pulled out my phone and dialed.

"911, what's your emergency?"

"There's a psycho in my-" Suddenly the line buzzed and was replaced with a man's voice,

"Hello Keith. You know it's funny how you think that these people will be of use to you. You're gone now. No turning back. Time for a ride. Let's hope you survive." The line buzzed again and I pulled the phone away from my face to show that my phone had just died. 

This couldn't be happening. I had to be dreaming. Did a psycho just interfere with my call for help and tell me there was no backing out now?! My phone was dead so I couldn't call for help again. The only place to go was the forest. But this couldn't be happening. I hit myself in the head and shouted,

"Wake up! Wake up! Come on!" I felt the pain stinging through my head. 

No. This wasn't a dream. This was real. Suddenly my stomach growled. I hadn't eaten much yesterday and hadn't had breakfast so I was starving. The only thing was I was NOT going back there to that psycho. 

Suddenly a laugh from my house made the blood drain from my face. I looked back and saw the man at my door, now with a knife. Had he stolen one of my fuckin kitchen knives?! 

He laughed again as he stared right at me. Oh brother. I began running and I heard the man suddenly scream angrily. I heard a whizzing sound and I quickly fell to the ground. The knife flew past me and stuck into someone's house. My face was smashed but it was better than that going into my back. I scrambled up and began running again. I was a horrible runner. I had known I was out of shape but didn't attempt to fix it. I looked like a well-built person. Abs, tall, good looking with a flashy grin. But I knew that these things didn't matter when you were almost dead poor. I barely got my bills in and food on the table. 

I ran into the woods and didn't bother moving the branches. I ran right through them, giving myself scraps and little blisters. I found a tree and climbed up it. I looked down and watched the man wiz past. 

I didn't make a sound. I didn't bother jumping down. I couldn't tell if the man was gone. I went up higher in the tree and sat there. I knew that the rest of this day was going to be absolute miserable. Boy was I right.

3