Chapter 1 – The End
83 1 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I growled under my breath as I watched my fiance, Lady Dawn, flirt with the crown prince. I had caught her numerous times acting without care for her engagement and parading herself around the school for the prince’s eyes. It wasn’t just rumors at this point; even the commoners in the city had caught wind that Prince Christopher had begun to court the lady to help her escape her ‘evil fiance.’

 

Of course, the only evil that I had done was demand she stop loitering around prince. I mean, have some decorum, seriously! I didn’t choose this engagement either, so how about you at least try to break it off properly instead of destroying my reputation!!

 

Instead the two happily stood linking arms while the surrounding brown-nosers congratulated them for both their love and taking away the little dignity I had left.

 

Where’s my happiness, huh universe? Why is only MY life this shitty? 

 

The only people who actually cared for me die, I’m stripped of my magic and my birthright, scarred again and again as I fight for my life, and now I have to watch a fiance, who was forced onto me, destroy whatever is left of my life. 

 

I step into the sights of the two lovebirds so I can get this over with. No use putting it off, it’ll just be worse later.

 

“Adam Sinnet, how shameless,” sneered the prince, his blue eyes piercing me like ice. “Appearing before Lady Dawn after all the terrible things you did to her!”

 

Rolling my eyes i give a bow, and reply with as even a tone as I can muster. “You Highness, if it is shameless to appear when summoned, then I will gladly share the title with all who have gathered here today.”

 

The sudden swarm of offended whispers from their entourage make the barb worth it, and I had to struggle to keep my face from cracking a smile. Goddess, I’ve wanted to fight back for sooo long. I’ve held back so far because I refused to sink to their level, but rumors are that I’m about to be kicked out of the school, so I might as well make it worth it.

 

“Don’t bully my friends,” cried Dawn as I watched a big, fat crocodile tear roll down her cheek. “They’re just trying to help me!”

 

“Yeah, help you lie to everyone.” I glared at my fiance, who was quickly hidden behind her royal protector. “Tell me, what exactly have I done to warrant this ridiculous trial of my character?”

 

“Don’t act the fool, Sinnet,” the prince’s finger aimed itself at my chest. “ There is an extensive list of crimes. You harass Lady Dawn every day in class, destroying her belongings and using magic to attack her. We have numerous witnesses.”

“Oh? Then tell me, did those witnesses ever mention that I haven’t attended a single class this year?”

 

“What?”

 

“Ha, apparently they thought it unimportant.” I watch as Dawn glares at me from behind the incredibly confused prince, her act forgotten in her anger. Guess she didn’t expect me to fight back and destroy her plan. “Question any of the teachers - I stopped attending lectures after my classmates nearly killed me last year. Advance Magical Theory is NOT worth my life.”

 

Prince Christopher turned towards my fiance, who quickly hid her anger, and folded his arms. “Dawn what does he mean by this? Is it true that he doesn’t go to class?”

 

“I-I’m not sure. I try to avoid him as much as possible… besides, he’s sneaky and uses other students to destroy my stuff so he can’t be caught!!”

 

“That’s surprising, I have more friends here than I thought,” I searched around with mock interest. Maybe I’m having too much fun, but it’s so liberating. “I’d love to meet them. Certainly these ‘friends’ should be here to share my fate right? After all, they apparently committed the harassment - even if it was in my name.”

 

“My Lady, you never informed me that other students were involved with this matter.”

 

“That…. That’s because I’m sure those students are being forced to do it!! He probably uses his magic in the same way he uses it to attack me! Chris, you’ve seen the injuries his magic leaves!”

 

I laugh. I can’t hold it back anymore, I don’t know why she’s so desperate to destroy me, but she just sunk to the most impossible scenario and I’m going to prove it. Reaching into myself, I feel for the pinprick of light that is my magic and release it all. 

 

Prince Christopher reacts instinctively to the presence of magic and tries to defend Lady Dawn, but it’s meaningless. The grass surrounding me in a 2 meter radius me grow longer and the flowers bloom brilliantly. The magic lasts just a few seconds before fading, leaving a small, but healthy, patch of greenery.

 

My legs give out as everyone stares.I probably could have just said it, but I’ve discovered today I have a flair for showmanship. Pretty sure I pushed myself a bit hard for it though, I haven’t tried to use that much magic in years.

 

“Your High...ness,” I gasped, still catching my breath. “I ask that you recall... that my magic was taken from me... when I was young.”

 

“That’s right, I had forgotten - you’re a survivor of Mana Dystrophy,” the prince walked towards me and offered me a hand that I took gratefully. After helping me up he continued to steady me while turning to Dawn. “Lady Dawn, what is the meaning behind this? I gave you my sympathy because you lead me to believe that Adam was causing you harm. Now it is dubious to me and everyone present that this is the case. Explain yourself.”

 

Sweet Goddess above - the prince has a heart! Maybe this is the start to something better. I don’t want to hope but honestly, this is the most kindness I received in years. And it’s in front of witnesses!

 

“He’s LYING!” she cried, falling to her knees. “Since the first day we were engaged he has attacked me repeatedly! He told me if I ever spoke of it that he would kill me, but I trusted your Highness’s kindness; I knew you cared and would protect me! So why are you taking his side now?!”

 

“I am not taking anyone’s side, I am trying to determine what happened. I won’t condemn an innocent!”

 

“HE’S NOT INNOCENT!” If I had bet on how loud my fiance could scream, I would have just lost some serious money. My eardrums hurt. “Chris you knew that, and even if you’ve been twisted around, it’s too late to change your mind.”

 

Standing, Dawn marched over and shoved three letters in my hand. The first was the expected expulsion, but the other two….

 

“I-I’ve been disowned… and… and sentenced to d-death?!” I was shaking. One of the letters was from my father, detailing my disownment and demotion to commoner status. The other was from the King. It demanded my execution, as a commoner harassing a noble.

 

I was just aware of the letters being taken from my hand and Prince Christopher yelling at Dawn for writing letters behind his back and going beyond expulsion. It didn’t matter. This was it: The end to my pitiful life because my existence was a nuisance for the fiance my father forced on me. I couldn’t even fight it because it was a direct order from the king.

 

It wasn’t fair. 

 

But when was it ever fair? The purpose of this entire life was to show me just how unfair it actually is! I don’t know how I ever expected anything better, not from experience obviously! I couldn’t tell if I was cold or if I just couldn’t feel anything. The only thing I noticed was that the darkness, left where the glow of my magic usually was, seemed to be growing to encompass everything until it swallowed me whole.

 

The darkness almost felt comfortable… safe. It wrapped around me like a cocoon and shut out the world beyond. Hid away everything that caused me pain.

 

Let me take care of everything… give yourself to me.

 

The darkness was safe. A friend. I willingly gave myself and felt myself sinking deeper into its embrace; becoming one.

 

We opened our eyes; the darkness and I, together. Before us were insignificant ants, worth nothing more than to have their magic consumed. To make us stronger. Several of the insects screamed and one even fainted. Pathetic, to think they could ever influence us.

 

We reached forward to grab one we seemed to hate most, but another blocked us with steel in hand. Amused with their struggle, we attack again, but concern on the bug’s face makes us pause. Why is it not fear?

 

“Adam, you have to fight” the ant was shouting at us while dodging our attacks. “Don’t let the demon win, fight back!! Don’t do this!”

 

Is that what we are… a demon? But that’s wrong somehow. Demons are the bad guys - aren’t we supposed to fight them?

 

Do not listen to the words of a bug who thought to squash us. They are weak. We are strong and the strong win.

 

Our confusion slows our attacks for a moment and the bug leaves a deep slice on our skin. We laugh. We have strength to spare to heal a scratch such as this. We are stronger than we have ever been.

 

“Adam! Please, pull yourself together! Think about your friends and family! Think about the people who care about you! Don’t do this!”

 

The bug continues screaming, but we advance, the confusion weaker now. Only we care about ourself. Our attack hits and the insect screams as red pours out. One more hit will see it silent.

 

We raise to strike with our darkness once more, but scream in pain as light hits us. We turn to see the hated bug has the light. It must die, before it learns to hit our core. Before it can kill us. We attack.

 

The light hits us again, but it is still too weak. We laugh, healing quickly. The human body under our darkness is useful, protecting our core. The hated ant is shaking, but shines light again. It is still too weak, but before we can heal something sharp comes from behind. We…. I gasp. I feel the darkness of the demon fading with my life, too weak to continue.

I turn, to see Prince Christopher with his sword impaled through my chest. My mouth tastes like copper, and my heart struggles to beat around steel, but for some reason all I can focus on is the pained look his highness has on his face.

 

“Sor-ry,” my voice is barely a whisper, but I still manage with a shaky smile. “I- I guess I wasn’t str-ong enough to fi-fight it.”

 

The darkness surrounding me is different than before, but just as powerful. The church always said the goddess welcomed the dead with a gentle light, but I guess she doesn’t want to welcome a soul tainted with demon magic.

 

I know I should feel relieved that my terrible life is over, but honestly I don’t want to die. Ah, I guess I just have to hope that I get reincarnated… a chance at a happy life. That sounds fantastic.

 

Please Goddess… grant this one, selfish wish.

 

………

 

“Master Adam wake up! Your birthday is no excuse to become lazy and the guests are arriving soon.”

 

The knocking at my door is insistent but really, my bed is just too comfortable to leave. Choosing to ignore the maid at my door for a few more minutes of sleep I roll over. Maybe I can finish that dream I was in the middle of. It was a really weird dream too, almost like I was seeing the future.

 

Shit.

5