Day 78
38 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Day 78,

Maiko left.  Stayed on the island we docked at today.  Or rather, abruptly said “Don’t wait for me” as soon as we docked and then went sprinting off at top speed.

I mean, I get why she did that.  As we were approaching this new island we saw a column of smoke rising from the far side of it, the first sign of people living somewhere other than the Village island we’d seen.  And that was her reason for coming on this trip, so I don’t hold it against her or anything.  If anything, I kind of expected her to want to stay and investigate.  But still, the way she was so abrupt about it, especially after it seemed like we’d all been opening up and getting closer these past days… it stung.  And logically I know that I can’t really even fault her for behaving like that when she’s lived alone without social interaction for practically her whole life, so it probably didn’t even occur to her that she could hurt people like that.  Too bad emotions care about experienced outcomes more than conscious understanding or other people’s intentions.

Lin and Cass didn’t take it great either.  Not that there was much debate on whether to go after her.  By the time any of us caught up the floating island would have left already, which would have just meant more of us stranded.  At least if any of us can survive on her own for two weeks until the floating island returns and takes her back to the main island, it’s Maiko.

At any rate, her departure cast a pall on the rest of the afternoon, which we spent half-heartedly moving the rest of our supplies into the mansion that we hadn’t already.  We spent last night in there and plan to do so for the remaining nights of this trip.

As long as I’m writing, I suppose I ought to take a moment to describe the landing area.  It was another jutting cliff with an arch on the end, like Siren Overlook and the one we encountered to the west.  Twice could be a coincidence, but three times and I’m convinced the whole formation is artificial, not just the arch, columns, and pool.  It wasn’t nearly so overgrown as the western dock – if anything the columns were in better shape than at Siren Overlook – but whereas Siren Overlook was mostly covered in short grass with the occasional tiny white flower or stubborn shrub this was a veritable field of bright orange flowers broken only by the water lily filled pool running down the center.

I can’t say I paid much attention to what was beyond.  Too distracted staring at the gap in the trees that Maiko disappeared into to pay much attention to the trees themselves.  Similar to what’s on the main island I guess?  At least there was nothing that stuck out to me as unusual.

And of course, there was a song here too; volume dimmed by the floating island’s presence but still audible if you listened for it.  Like the familiar tune at Siren Overlook, there was a calming element to it, but the nature was different.  Not a lullaby or song of leisure, but a hymn or a prayer for blessing despite the apparent lack of words.  Not the peace of letting thoughts and worries drift away to a relaxed emptiness, but the reassurance that comes from focusing on something greater than yourself and letting go of concerns as its love fills you and promises to watch over you.

It felt nice all the same.

It disgusted me.

The intensity of my own reaction shocked me out of both my worries over Maiko and the reverie I’d started to let myself drift into to ease those worries.  I wasn’t aware that I could feel so strongly negative about something.  And the fact that I couldn’t – still can’t – say why I felt that way disturbs me in and of itself.  How could I find something both beautiful and repulsive at the same time?  Is it an outsider thing interacting with the siren song strangely? 

I tried to hide my reaction as best I could and asked Lin and Cass how the song made them feel.  Neither of them indicated any sort of disgust with it, but nor did they seem near as strongly affected in the other direction as I had briefly been.

If I return to that island, I don’t think I’ll be spending much time on that overlook.

I hope Maiko finds some sort of answer at that smoke.  At least she’s still wearing the bronze bracelet.  If I focus, I can feel the pull in the direction of that island we’ve now left behind hours ago.  And no feelings of danger, so she’s safe for now at least.

3