Departure
10 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

She watched him sneaking through the forest, carefully taking in his surroundings. She silently moved from branch to branch like a cat, hiding between the tree leaves. The sound she was making was indistinguishable from the wind rustling the leaves.

“For someone who detests cowards, you’re awfully good at hiding!” Loryn called out.

Taking his words as a challenge, a smug smile formed on Lia’s face while she sneakily climbed down the tree, arriving on the ground without making a sound. Peeking her head out, she watched her brother aimlessly walking around, his gaze carefully wandering, yet not finding her.

Watching him turn his back to her, she saw her opportunity and started her approach, every silent step raising her confidence and steeling her resolve.

“Die!” she screamed, jumping at her brother.”

Loryn stepped to the side with a slight smile, easily dodging his little sister’s attack and watching her plunge to the ground.

“I take it back.” Loryn snickered, “People good at hiding don’t scream before attacking.”

Unexpectedly, the only response Loryn got was a pouting face. Not bothering to reply, Lia got back on her feet, quickly brushing off the dirt sticking to her clothes, and then ran deeper into the forest.

“Oh, come on,” Loryn called after her, the smile on his face palpable in his voice, “You said yourself you don’t care about being sneaky.”

Rolling his eyes at Lia’s lack of a response, Loryn started trying to catch up to her.

“Lia!” Loryn yelled into the forest, only to be answered by rustling leaves and singing birds.

After a while of wandering through the forest, Loryn’s conscious ate at him.

“Come out, Lia, it isn’t funny anymore!” He shouted, slightly worried.

Still hearing no reply, Loryn made one last desperate attempt.

“If you come out, I will get you a weapon.”

Before he knew it, something landed on his back, slamming him to the ground.

“I want a spear, no, a longsword.” Lia chirped, sitting on her grunting brother’s back.

“How about Al’Lassir itself?” An aged voice sounded from behind them.

“Barin!” Lia yelled, jumping up.

“How will you protect us from what lays beyond the Scar if you can’t even defeat your little sister?” Barin asked, looking at the boy getting back on his feet.

“It was unfair. She made me worry and then caught me off guard.”

“Unfair or smart, not much of a difference if you ask me,” Barin replied, ruffling up the smiling Lia’s hair.

“Why are you here, Barin?” Lia asked curiously before Loryn could reply.

“Lady Ellia called for both of you when I didn’t find you in the castle. I knew where to look.” He said with a coarse laugh. After spending many years serving Ellia’s parents and watching over her, he also started watching over her children, not only telling them stories of the Pale and the Forsaken, which the self-proclaimed protectors of the five kingdoms named themselves after, and his sword Al’Lassir, but also playing with them in the woods surrounding the castle.

“Did something happen?” Loryn asked, walking towards Barin.

“A letter brought by a raven arrived,” Barrin answered seriously.

“A letter from the capital?!” Loryn asked, surprised. Only the letters from the capital are carried by ravens, which are also the family crest of the royal family.

“Yes, I don’t know what was written in it, but it seemed important,” Barin said. “We should get going.”

“Yes, we should. Loryn owes me a weapon,” Lia said, throwing Loryn a smug smile her brother’s way and then running towards the castle.

Barin, giving Loryn a pitying look, followed after her, and the defeated Loryn after him.

The castle was fully awake, men hurrying through the yards, bringing armaments, weapons, and further supplies to the carriages. Servants were carrying chests of gold and silver, together with some of the most delicate garments from the Isle of Lylerya and jewels said to be from the far of land of Ishanii.

Ellia oversaw the busy yard from her balcony, watching her people with her usual icy gaze. However, today her expression was more of a façade. It had been a long time since she visited the capital, let alone dealt with the heads of the different houses and the royal court.

“Does it really have to be that much?” Alys asked, walking up next to her, watching the valuable treasures brought to the carriages with a sad look, soon to be in different hands.

“It’s not solely for the royal family,” Ellia replied. “Now that the throne stands empty, I hope to strengthen relationships with either the heir or whoever feels like taking it.”

“You believe there’s going to be war?” Alys asked, his brows raised.

“There doesn’t have to be bloodshed for there to be war.” Ellia answered, “It’s called diplomacy.”  

A knocking at the door interrupted their conversation, “Lady Ellia, the children are here.”

“Let them in,” Ellia answered, taking seat at her desk.

Barin opened the door letting Will, Loryn, and Lia enter while staying outside.

“Mother, you summoned us.” Will was the first to speak up.

“Yes, I’ve gotten a letter from the capital: The king has died, and we’re setting out for his funeral.”

Overwhelmed by the information they were just given, Loryn and Will were stunned.

“I’m going to see the Capital?!” Lia yelled out. “I want to see the palace and the crypt, and oh, oh the-

“Lia,” Ellia interrupted, “You will go where I allow you to go.”

“Yes, mother,” Lia answered, keeping her head down and hiding her smirk.

“When will we leave?” Will asked, trying to regain composure quickly.

“Tomorrow,” Hardly had the word left her mouth, Ellia caught a flash of shock and uncertainty on Loryn’s face.

“There’s nothing more to discuss. Just be ready by tomorrow morning.” Ellia said, looking down at the letters and documents on her desk as though everyone had already left.

 The up until now, silent Alys opened the door and said, “Come, your mother is busy. Let’s prepare for tomorrow.”  

Lia instantly ran out, not bothering to hide her ecstatic expression. Will followed after he gave his father a pleasant nod. Loryn hesitated, seemingly wanting to say something but deciding against it and leaving his gaze to the ground.

Closing the door, Alys turned to his wife. “You know he’s not going to go, right?”

“…Yes,” Ellia replied

“You could bring him if you really wanted to,” Alys said

Ellia answered, “You said it yourself… let him make his own mistake.”

Loryn paced back and forth in his room, nervously fidgeting his thin pale hands, when a knock on the door cut through the tense air.

His head snapping towards the door, Loryn contemplated ignoring it, but the possibility of accidentally ignoring his mother sent shivers down his spine.

“Who’s there?” he asked hesitantly.

“It’s your old father. Could you grace me with an audience ser?” Alys’s playful voice sounded through the door.

“…Yes, come in,” Loryn answered.

Entering, his father looked around the barren room. Loryn never bothered decorating his room cause he spent most of his time either training in the yard or playing with Lia in the woods. Except for his sword leaning against the wall next to his bed and a chest for clothing such as whatever he wanted to hide from his parents or his sneaky sister, the room was pretty much empty.

“I heard your sister defeated you?” Alys asked with a smirk.

“Barin,” Loryn said, cursing the old man. “She tricked me. That’s the only reason she won.”

“Oh yes, of course,” Alys answered with a growing smirk. “I also heard you lost a bet.”

“…Yes, Lia wanted a weapon, but don’t worry, I know better not to give her one,” Loryn replied

“So you’d break your promise to your little sister? But son, what about your honor?” Alys asked, putting on an indignant face.

“No, but what about mother?” Loryn asked, confused.

In response, Alys pulled out a razor-sharp dagger with a black curved blade and red hilt. Its black sheath, beautifully decorated with silver leaves.

“It’d be a shame if this beautiful, easily concealable dagger was gifted to some random noble in the capital. If only there was someone who’d need it to, I don’t know. Settle a debt, for example.” Alys said overly sarcastically while pushing it into the hesitant Loryn’s hands.

Smiling at his father’s theatrics, Loryn answered, “This may save my honor, but Lia won’t be happy about getting a dagger.”

“Well, she’d be far less happy the next time your mother catches her stealing another weapon,” Alys replied.

“Now that that’s out of the way. How about you tell your father when you’re planning on leaving?”

“… What, I, I don’t know what you’re talking about.” The flustered Loryn said.

Alys sat down on Loryn’s bed and said, “Don’t lie to me, Loryn. You can do whatever you want. Just don’t lie to me.”

“… I thought about leaving tonight, to the Red Bay and then per ship up to the Last Keep,” Loryn replied more confidently.

“And let me guess, you weren’t even going to say goodbye to your beloved parents. Oh, Ellia, what did we do wrong,” Alys said sighingly, “… Are you sure you want to do this?”

“…Yes,” Loryn said, steeling his resolve.

“Well, good luck then,” Alys replied, jumping up from the bed and walking towards the door. “Oh, and don’t you forget talking to your sister, getting a dagger, and her brother leaving might be too much for her little heart.”

With that, Alys left the room and left a more resolved but at the same time also more conflicted Loryn behind.

Closing the door, Alys stood in the hall and closed his eyes for a second, letting a deep breath escape his mouth. Composing himself, he went on his way.

The rain felt heavy, like stones on his skin. Pulling up his cloak’s hood, he made his way to the stables, past the blacksmith and the washing well, walking through the now empty yard, using the moon as a light source. Pushing the stable doors open, he looked for an appropriate horse and found one—a black mare, not too big nor too small for him.

 After leading it out of the stable and mounting it, he took one last look at Redwood. Before quickly riding past the gate and into the darkness. Any longer, and he might’ve lost his resolve.

Unbeknownst to him, a figure was following him while keeping their distance.

Ellia watched through the window as her son rode into the darkness, doubt and worry evident on her face.

“Did he at least talk to Lia?” She asked

“I certainly hope so,” Alys replied, calmly sitting in a chair behind her.

After feeling the tense air, Alys walked up beside her, “Don’t worry if anything happens, Barin will intervene. He might be old, but if he’s capable of protecting you, he’s capable of protecting him.

Ellia didn’t reply and continued looking towards the dark forest.

“Come, they’re not the only ones with a long journey before them.” He said while gently taking her hand and leading her to bed.

0