A New Friend
12 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

You couldn’t tell from looking alone if Evyn was a woman or a man, his dazzling, long golden hair flowing past his round feminine face and down his slim body. To him, his beauty was nothing more than a tool. He had been at the Red Bay for six days now. With no money to his name, he spent his days in the small town and at the docks, looking out for women and the occasional man in expensive clothing he could seduce with his natural beauty and charm, enabling him to spend his nights in a warm, soft bed. A tactic he had been using for a long time now, preferring it to sleeping in the dirty streets. Just this morning, he had snuck out of the room of his previous night’s lover, his quick, quiet hands pocketing a small sack of silver coins. As he strolled down the street, enjoying the looks of the folks passing him by, he found his way into a little tavern directly at the port, hoping to quell his hunger.

When the four ugly men in dirty leather armor entered the tavern sometime after he did and the previously joyous atmosphere turned tense, he became attentive, curiously watching them from the corner of the room in hopes of something entertaining happening to sweeten his already wonderful morning.

Overjoyed by the bloody show that followed, he watched as a skinny, pale kid stood up to the furious men, commanding them to let the tavern keeper go with a magnificent silver sword in his hands. Evyn spent enough nights in noblemen’s and women’s houses to recognize the immaculate sword’s worth. When one of the men clumsily attacked the young boy, he elegantly dodged under the swing before quickly twisting his body, his blade gracefully traveling through the air, about to cut deep into the man’s side but suddenly coming to an abrupt halt.

Still confused as to why the boy suddenly froze. Evyn saw a shine in the ugly man’s eyes, recognizing his opportunity.

Before the man could even swing his blade, Evyn had already pierced a hole through his neck using a beautiful silver rapier.

As Loryn came out of his daze, he was stunned by seeing his opponent lying on the floor, his lifeless hands still futilely trying to stop the blood from flowing out of his neck.

“Hellooooo, is someone in there?” The person before him asked sarcastically while waving his delicate hands before Loryn’s face.

Loryn couldn’t discern whether a man or a woman had saved his life, standing before him in strange colorful clothes that were seemingly patched together with a mixture of expensive soft cloth you’d only found in noble households and cheap rough materials. Their beautiful face reminding Loryn of his father.

Before Loryn could answer, he was stunned yet again by seeing the old Barin standing behind his savior.

“Barin?!” He yelled, looking at the old man.

Distracted, only a few people noticed as Dorin and his remaining man threw Bross to the side and ran for the exit.

“Hey, come back,” Loryn called while starting to chase after them.

As he pushed past his savior, two strong hands suddenly pulled him back and restrained him.

“Where do you think you’re going, boy?” Barin asked with an agitated voice.

Freeing himself from Barin’s surprisingly firm grip, Loryn turned around and yelled, “We can’t just let them get away!”

“And what are you going to do, Hmm? If it weren’t for her, you’d be the one dead on the ground right now,” Barin explained, pointing at Evyn.

Unable to answer, Loryn averted his gaze and went to help Bross, who was back on his feet after being thrown to the ground, supported by his sister.

After helping and being thanked by Bross and Taria, Loryn looked around the now empty tavern, unable to find anyone but Barin looking at him with a serious gaze.

“Come,” Barin commanded, walking towards the door.

“Where are we going?” Loryn asked hesitantly, dreading the answer.

“Home,” Barin replied, turning to Loryn.  

“What, no, the Last Keep-“

“Silence!” Barin yelled with anger, rarely seen. “You wanted to be a hero, and you almost died trying. By Lylyr, I will not bring a corpse back to your parents.”

With nothing more to say, Barin turned around and left the tavern leaving the bitter Loryn behind, clenching his sharp jaw, following after him after a brief moment.

Just as Loryn stepped out of the tavern into the busy docks, a person in a long black coat, its hood covering the person’s face, slowly passed by Barin, standing in the middle of the street before quickening their step.

Feeling something touching him, Barin carefully felt his pockets before noticing that the sack of gold he had packed in them had disappeared. Seeing the suspicious person that passed him quickly walking away, he chased after them.

“Wait here,” He ordered Loryn before running off.

“Hey, stop!” Barin yelled, seeing the thief turn a corner.

Turning the corner himself, he ran into the empty dead-end street only filled with wooden barrels and crates, carried off one of the ships that had arrived at the harbor. Creeping through the alley, he looked behind every crate and barrel with his sword drawn.

Watching the old Barin from the rooftop, Evyn couldn’t help but lightly chuckle before running back in the direction he came from.

Loryn had been waiting for minutes, pacing the busy street back and forth. He thought back to the moment he froze in the fight. When his opponent attacked him, he was almost bemused. Memories surfaced of all the times he had fought Will, of his simple yet devastating swings. Compared to him, Loryn’s opponent seemed more like a child clumsily swinging the metal through the air, not even thinking about balance, timing, or keeping an appropriate distance. When his opponent swung at him, Loryn felt as though time had slowed down; he could see every minute mistake he had made throughout the years that Will exploited, and Barin helped him to get rid of. His body moved by itself, easily ducking under his opponent’s attack before twisting and confidently swinging the blade towards the man’s side. At that moment, his body froze, the thought of his blade tearing open the man’s flesh and shattering his bones, paralyzing him.

“Hey, remember me?” Evyn woke Loryn out of his thoughts.

Turning toward the sweet voice, Loryn was glad to be able to thank his savior. “Yes, you left before i-“

“Ahhh, not important,” Evyn interrupted, “What’s important is, I heard you want to go to the Last Keep.”

“How do you know?” Loryn asked, confused.

“You and your old friend are pretty loud when you’re arguing; the walls aren’t that thick,” Evyn replied with a teasing smile. “Guess what. I was also on my way to the Last Keep; how about we travel together?”

“… But I barely know you,” Loryn said hesitantly.

“Oh, sure. Hello, I’m Evyn Highwater, but you can call me Evyn. I was born in Yorn and came here six days ago after sneaking on the wrong ship on my way to the Last Keep. I heard you get a meal every day there and even your own bed.” Evyn said rapidly while offering his soft hand.

“I’m Loryn, I, whoa-“ Loryn couldn’t finish his sentence as hew as pulled the second he shook Evyn’s hand.

“Quick before the ship leaves without us,” Evyn said, dragging Loryn behind him.

Loryn took one last look to where Barin ran off to before shaking away Evyn’s hand and quickly following him.

“Wait here,” Evyn told Loryn as they arrived at a small ship at the end of the harbor.

Standing on her ship, the captain saw Evyn’s stunning face, reminding her of the blissful night they shared.

“Luciya,” Evyn exclaimed with a broad smile on his face.

“You miss me already?” Luciya asked teasingly.

“How could I not,” Evyn replied, his charming smile never leaving his face. “Luciya, I’d like to ask you a little favor.”

 “… And what’s that?” Luciya replied with squinted eyes.

“Oh, you know, could you maybe take my friend and me to the Last Keep?” Evyn asked, pointing at the impatiently waiting Loryn.

“… You know you weren’t that good that night,” Luciya said mockingly. “I’m getting paid to deliver cargo, not people.”

“How about getting paid for both,” Evyn said, pulling out pouches of gold and silver he had obtained while at the Red Bay.

Her gaze wandered from the money to Evyn and Loryn before she said. “This is my ship; on here, you’ll do as I say.”

“Of course, I didn’t expect anything else,” Evyn said with a wink before gesturing for Loryn to come on board.

Loryn took one last long look around the harbor, with conflicting thoughts racing through his head.

Closing his eyes, he took a deep breath and remembered all the times he talked to Lia about joining the Forsaken and protecting the Continent. He remembered his father giving him the chance to prove himself even against his mother’s wishes.

With steeled resolve, he walked up to the ship, a small smile etched on his face.

0