Chapter 9
135 0 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Announcement

Thank you for reading "The Legend of the North". This book is fully published on Amazon (under the same name), it would be very helpful if you buy the book to support me.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

They are talking to each other.” Ezer had that feeling.

Several minutes passed in this way, the stars shining in the clearings left by the clouds. Suddenly, the four that were in formation move away leaving a gray wolf in the center. This one had a firm and deep look, the Alpha, it was not difficult to distinguish it.

His eyes and Ezer's met. Ezer bow his head causing a small reaction of surprise in the wolf. His expression seemed to say, "You know at least some manners."

Not even Ezer knew why he did it, he just felt it was the right thing to do and that's what his instincts told him.

The alpha turns around and walks through the dark woods just like the white wolf and thus Ezer too. He stumbled several times because the light from the moon and stars couldn't get through the clouds that suddenly covered the sky. Without realizing it, due to extreme tiredness, Ezer places a hand on the white back of the wolf to guide his steps, she doesn't seem to care.

The pack finally stops at the base of a hill too steep to climb, a small cave supported by tree roots created a precarious but perfect shelter to avoid the wind.

Ezer finds an empty space and collapses without a care in the world. But when he tries to fall asleep, the cold enters his spine and chills his blood. Now that it stopped moving, he didn't generate enough heat and it was starting to freeze. His body begins to tremble seeking to generate heat through contractions.

But at that moment, he feels something soft and warm slide down his back. Slowly the shaking stops and his eyelids begin to close.

“Thanks.” That's all you can say to the white wolf, before falling asleep, who came to share her warmth and save his life more than once.

The wolf nods in acknowledgment of his gratitude and watches him for a few seconds before falling asleep as well.

And so, the night turns into day, one that will not be easy for Ezer.

A dense mist covered the entire terrain, hiding the large rocks that almost seemed to be deliberately placed to create a unique setting. This, added to the fact that the sun was still a few minutes away from being visible, created a somewhat depressing atmosphere, making it difficult for Ezer to wake up.

Every fiber of his muscles ached, it was the first time he had walked so much in his life. He managed to sleep without freezing thanks to the wolf, but he still suffered quite a bit on the hard ground. He stretched his body at the same time his stomach growled.

"I'm so hungry I could eat the crust off the trees." He said it while looking dangerously at the nearest tree.

He looked around for something to eat, a bird, squirrel, whatever. Even if he had no idea how to hunt it, that didn't discourage him, hunger wouldn't allow it. He was about to walk in search for it when he notices the silence.

The wolves, who had been behind him a few minutes ago, were gone, leaving only their tracks. In a panic, Ezer runs after them trying to find their only chance of survival, the wolves.

Ten minutes later he spots them and lets out a sigh of relief. Panic ends up leaving its place to fatigue, now walking was twice as difficult and his breathing was not regular.

The wolves advance without mercy and never looking back, no one paying attention to Ezer, no one except a certain white wolf. Ezer's stomach sounds increase, his footsteps grow weaker, and his mind screams for a break.

“If I stop now, they'll leave me behind.” His previous experience served him as a lesson.

The white wolf, who was the one who walked closest to Ezer, moves away from the pack and into the woods with light and silent steps. If Ezer hadn't seen her walk away, he might not have noticed her gone.

Half an hour later, when the sun began to clear the mist, the pack finally stopped on the banks of the small river. Ezer sits on the ground with his back against a dead log, not caring about the uncomfortable rocks on the ground. His legs are exhausted and his body calls for energy.

Suddenly, a white mass with red markings on the neck falls next to Ezer. A white rabbit of considerable size lies motionless at his side. The wolf looks at him with penetrating eyes and then lies down in a nearby spot.

Ezer perfectly understands what he meant by the look, with a hint of insecurity, he takes the rabbit and brings it closer to his mouth. A few seconds after mentalizing, his teeth begin to stretch the tough skin trying to separate it from the meat.

A strong lean and iron flavor fills his mouth, not caring, he continues to eat and satisfy his hunger, when his stomach is full enough for his brain to start reacting, he remembers his dagger and uses it to remove the meat more easily.

It was the first time he had tasted raw meat, he would cook it if he had the tools or enough time. However, he had neither and his hunger urged him to eat immediately.

His appearance looks like that of a savage who hasn't eaten for days, with blood on his hands, mouth and even the tip of his nose, of course, Ezer cared little.

Surprisingly the rabbit was enough to fill him, since it was more fur than meat, although his stomach suffered a bit from digesting the raw meat.

He washes himself and drinks water from the river, which feels like frozen needles instead of water on his fingers. His tiredness decreased and his self-esteem rose, now it seems that he could continue.

The pack moves on a short time later, descending the side of a ridge that could almost be called a mountain. Observing the position of the sun and the landscape in front of him, Ezer notes the direction in which they are heading.

“The north... to the mountains, the border.” With black peaks, so angled that not even snow can settle on them, side by side as if forming a titanic wall that separated two worlds. There is only one pass through them, and that pass is the one guarded by the Inmerlan family. But there are always exceptions.

The sun marked noon when Ezer witnessed an incredible act. The wolves split in two and began to surround a deer, there was no wind so they didn't have to worry about their scent spreading all over the place. Ezer crouched far behind them, barely able to see the deer thanks to its great antlers.

The alpha led the pack, when they reach the perfect spot, they all crouch down at the same time waiting. Without warning, and with a timing that almost seemed that they speak to each other's minds, those on the right suddenly run, forgetting stealth altogether. This causes the deer to respond in the most obvious way and start running in the opposite direction, which the other part of the pack expected.

The ground rose up a bit which made it hard for the deer to suddenly change direction when it noticed the other wolves, but it still avoids them and runs diagonally. Although he loses a few seconds, which the wolves take advantage of and close the distance.

With his vision almost completely blocked, Ezer watches as the Alpha pounces on the deer causing it to lose its balance and fall to the ground rolling just like the wolf.

The hunt turns into a dance of death. If the deer gets up first, he may escape, but if the wolf does, his fate is assured. Sensing this, the deer stands up while launching its hooves in a desperate attack.

5