Chapter 20
93 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Announcement

Thank you for reading "The Legend of the North". This book is fully published on Amazon (under the same name), it would be very helpful if you buy the book to support me.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Listen child, the dagger has two movements. Cutting and penetrating, when attacking an enemy with the tip, a mortal wound can be ensured, but since the dagger is short this also represents a great risk. On the other hand, using the edge of the sides with vertical and horizontal movements ensures a quick recoil in case of counterattack, but the wounds usually serve only to wear down the enemy.” He simulates the movements at the same time as he explains. "Now, which move do you think is the best?"

“Mmm… The cutting one, using the sides of the blade. That way you can quickly back up if you need to.” Thinking for a moment, Ezer replies.

“Incorrect. There is no best move, only suitable occasions. You must adapt to the flow of combat and decide in seconds the best move for the occasion. Once you learn this, you will be able to adapt the pace of the battle to your preference, as long as your opponent is inferior to your abilities.”

Ezer nods and begins to look at Rel's movements with different eyes.

“Let's start with practice, it's the best way to learn.” He gets into combat stance waiting for the first move.

The blades begin to cross faster and faster as Ezer begins to get used to the dagger. From pointless movements, to the most precise attacks possible for someone who started wielding it less than an hour ago.

“You can block attacks by placing your hand on the inner edge of the enemy's elbow, this way, no matter how strong your opponent is, they won't be able to close their arm. Take advantage of that moment and plunge the dagger into your enemy. Although this only works with short weapons such as daggers. If you were to do it against someone swinging a sword, they just have to turn their wrist and they can hurt you.”

The practice continues until they can no longer do so due to the lack of light and they return inside the cabin. They are both tired and waiting until the food is cooked.

“Child.” Rel starts the conversation to distract his hunger.

“Eh? What?

“You said that you can see magic. So... can you use it?”

“No, every time I try it I get a terrible headache and the same image always appears. I'm in a strange place and a woman smiles at me... I don't know why she does it or who she is.” Ezer tries to forget that memory since it seems like his head is starting to hurt again.

"Can you see that woman's eyes?"

“Yes, I can see them.” Ezer looks up at the strange question.

"What do those eyes say" Do they also express happiness like their smile?”

"Yes... and no, there's something else. Something more than happiness... something I don't understand.” Ezer concentrates trying to understand that something, but he fails and the pains appear.

"When you understand, you will be able to use magic and your pains will also go away...I'm sure." His words reassured Ezer.

"Dinner has to be ready by now." Trying to change the atmosphere, Rel brings the food.

“What is it?”

“Rabbit.”

"Do you only know how to hunt rabbits?"

In response, Rel simply shrugs his shoulders and sinks his teeth into the meat enjoying the taste. Ezer didn't know how much he would miss eating this way in the future.

---------------------------

“Sir! All preparations are ready. We'll leave when you order.” The soldier bows his head slightly showing respect for his superior.

“Transmit to the others, we leave immediately. “Erk mounts his horse and leads the march of the ten men who accompany him.

The morning sun barely made it possible to see the path they were advancing on, the sun's rays did not heat the forest so steam rose from the breathing of the men and horses.

“It's quite cold despite being spring.” One of the soldiers rubs his hands together to warm them.

"We're near the mountains after all, and the sun didn't fully rise, it's only natural that it does."

They talked to each other carelessly, they were tired of the search and not finding anything in weeks discouraged them. This was one of the last sectors that needed to be checked, they obtained information about a man who lived nearby and they were looking for him to ask for his cooperation.

"Okay, enough. It is not necessary for everyone to go to this man's house. I will go personally, the others separate into groups of two and search the area, at nightfall we will all return to town.” Raising his fist, he signals his men to stop and gives the order with which they were all familiar after repeating it infinite times.

“Yes sir!” Instantly the group separates leaving Erk and a soldier.

Both of them go to the position of a supposed cabin in the woods with a light trot of the horses. Erk is lost in thought for a moment along with the constant sound of hooves hitting the ground.

When all this started I hoped that Ezer had returned to his home, everything would be easier that way. I still remember the face of the Marquis Leiner when he said that they would help us in the search for his son. How is such a powerful family weakened to that point? They could not say no to permission for troop movement on their territory. I guess everyone falls at some point and now it's the Inmerlan's turn.” He sighs and refocuses on the task in front of him.

The sun has completely lifted off the horizon, and Erk takes the reins and speeds up the march now that the road is more visible.

2