chapter 125
4 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Announcement 

 

 

Thank you for reading " The Legend of the North ". This book is fully published on Amazon (under the same name), it would be very helpful if you buy the book to support me. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Each one lies down on the opposite corner of the walls, remaining motionless and tuning their ears, now they could clearly hear what they were talking about. 

 

"... have proven their worth, my lord says the evidence in the castle is favorable. He wonders if it can be applied to something bigger.” That was Breno's voice, which was surely addressed to the Viscount. 

 

"Like an army? Believe me, I've been looking to apply them to that purpose for years. However, please assure Mr. Karsin that I will soon show results if he continues to procure the valuable... resources.”

  

"Of course, I'll let him know."

  

“Unfortunately I must point out the absence of the last shipment, my work will be slowed down because of it.”

  

“Viscount, you must understand that children are very different from old people or vagrants. Peasants are more reluctant to part with them and this usually brings... conflicts.”

  

“Of course, of course, I am a man of reason who does not ask for the impossible. Although that's what this prison exists for, right? To be filled.” Both voices stop momentarily in the cell next to Ezer's, being so close that the coldness in the Viscount's words could already be clearly perceived. 

 

"Prisons are just that, prisons. Not butchers shops waiting to sell their product.” Breno does not yield and hardens his voice, it seems that the Viscount's position did not intimidate him. Perhaps he had direct support from Karsin? Ezer wonders. 

 

"Ha! Of course, we also don't want the peasants to get the wrong idea.” Boron doesn't seem to take offense and produces a strange laugh. 

His footsteps sound again and this time they stop at the last cell. Ezer's. 

 

"Oh? So you hid such a thing in the end.” The Viscount's voice echoes as he stares at the boy who was cornering himself against the walls. “What are you afraid of, boy? I'm not going to eat you, believe me.” Boron produces a smile that surprisingly did not seem sinister, on the contrary, many would say that he carried a strong charisma. 

 

Ezer tenses as he notices the Viscount's attention and words being directed at him.

 

 “He's just another man, I faced much more dangerous things in the past. I'm not the same as before... I'm not...” He tries to comfort himself by repeating those words, but for some reason, his childhood fears resurfaced stronger than ever. 

 

“What's your name?” The question changes as well as the tone of voice, Boron was starting to get impatient. Rarely in his life did people not pay attention to him. 

 

Nataña tries to make eye contact with Ezer urging him to respond. If things continued like this... 

 

"A-armond my lord.  Armon was given to me by my father...” Ezer looks up and fixes on the Viscount's escort, Boron. Ezer believed that he knew more than he was letting on, it was possible that he could see through his lie. 

 

"So it's Armond ... common name for someone who doesn't deserve to be remembered. " Boron hurls an insult and Breno just stays in place, apparently not caring about the conversation. 

 

“Viscount, the days are getting shorter. Don't you think it's time to visit my lord?” Breno suggests with a bored tone and his typical half-closed eyes.

 

“I decide when is a good time…remember that.”  Boron responds with a cold tone when interrupted.

 

"It was my mistake, I beg your forgiveness."

  

 “It's better that way, with your head down.”  Boron never takes his eyes off the cell, but only returns to pay real attention when their discussion is over. 

 

 “He is like any nobleman, authoritarian. I just have to make sure I stay put and make him forget about me.”  Ezer witnesses the man's volatility, immediately deciding to keep his profile low and appeal to the nobleman's pride. 

 

"So… what was I up to? Armond, of course, my dear Armond. How old you?”

 

"Thirteen, my lord..." Ezer decides to lie his age for a year less. “Appear weaker, be insignificant.”

 

“Then perfect! Take him away and tie him up behind the carriage. Let him walk, I need him weak.”

 

“That?” Ezer's plan didn't work out and the opposite happens. 

 

“Where are the keys?” One of the Viscount's escorts steps forward and asks Breno in an unfriendly way. Seconds later, the door squeaks open. 

 

The viscount steps on the filthy floor of the cell without caring that his cloak gets dirty and grabs Ezer by the shoulder lifting him up and releasing him in the next instant. The Viscount takes a step back and drops the glove from the hand with which he was picked up, covering his nose at the same time.

 

“I've seen enough people sleep next to their shit, but this… this is the first time.” Any other noble would never set foot inside a dungeon, but this didn't bother him at all. However, everyone has limits, and seeing the boy drenched in his own feces makes him step back and look away immediately.

 

"My lord, let us...”

  

"I'm afraid you can't take him with you." Brennos interrupts the soldier who wanted to hurry up and be of use to his superior. 

 

"Oh? The reason?” The Viscount was already outside the cell, receiving a glove from one of his escorts. 

 

“That child offended the direct blood of the Karsin. Prisons are, after all, to punish and set an example. Heads can't always roll.”

 

“And a pity that it isn't, I would have many more bodies in that case. But it is true, the nobility cannot be seen from below and must be punished if it is tried. Honor must be respected, anyone of high birth knows that, and I will respect that of the Karsin. Don't worry, a good man knows when to give in.” And just like that, the Viscount walks away, though he gives Ezer a deep look before doing so. 

0