Chapter 6
1 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 6

Nandita kept chewing the inside of her cheek. Her hands would not stop fidgeting, as she was escorted out of her room. She had no idea where she was going. She hadn’t left her room after arriving here. Her eyes darted back and forth, as she drank in the new scenery. 

The lingering scent of summer was still heavy in the early morning, autumn air. Her eyes were surrounded by flashes of greens, as shrubs dominated the land. Buildings were dotted here and there. A stone wall guided them to their destination. The footpath was soft under her feet; the soil sculpting itself under the weight of Nandita’s foot. It was breathtaking. 

Nandita moved her focus towards her escorts. She only recognised one of the two. The Girl in Plain had her back towards Nandita, chatting away. She wasn’t exactly sure if she was talking to her or the other escort. But it didn’t matter anymore, as the wall broke away, revealing a set of stairs. Nandita’s eyes drifted towards the top. Two red pillars marked the gateway entrance to the home within. Her heart eased a little as she saw a familiar figure standing between the pillars. A warm smile greeted them.

“Lady Hae.”

“Nandita,” she said as she made her way down the steps. She turned, and from what Nandita could presume from their flushed cheeks, she thanked the escorts. In a graceful manner, she began to walk away. A couple of people trailing behind her. She raised her hand; gesturing Nandita to follow her. Prompted by the Girl in Plain, Nandita obliged.

The journey was no longer than a twenty-minute walk. The butterflies in Nandita’s stomach fluttered frantically. Her eyes tried to fixate on any landmarks to help guide her if she needed to make this journey on her own. But in all honesty, everything began to blur together. The only thing that Nandita could remember was a tree that was closer to the dirt road than the other trees. But even that didn’t have any defining features. A sigh escaped her lips. She definitely could not make her way back if she needed to. 

She trudged on, before halting along with everyone else. She saw a small wooden hut at the end of the road, encased with a similar stone wall. Lady Hae and the others made their way inside. But Nandita remained near the gate. Why are we here? 

Chicken and goats wandered around her feet. Outside the veranda, herbs and vegetation were being sundried. It was strange to Nandita. It was a fusion of Korean architecture but had remnants of her village back in India. 

“Nandita?”

She turned to see Lady Hae. She looked exhausted from the trek, but still forced a smile on her face. Nandita returned the expression and made her way towards her. Lady Hae guided her to a large room. Her eyes squinted, adjusting to the dim light. A wooden ladder that led to the upper floor, was to the left. A dark curtain hid the back wall. Dried herbs were suspended from the low hanging dark wooden beams. The scent was overwhelming. Trays and trays of spices were laid out; their aroma flooded the air. It was almost nauseating. 

Is this her then?” a female voice called out. A young girl, no older than Nandita, entered the room. Her hair was in two french braids. Her attire was similar to the Girl in Plain. She turned towards Lady Hae, who rested herself on a nearby stool; a bead of sweat forming on her brow. She nodded to the stranger. The Girl with Braids strolled towards Nandita. Her stare was scrutinizing. 

“Nandita,” Lady Hae called out. “You will be staying here

Not yet, My Lady.” The girl raised her hand, hushing Lady Hae. “She needs to prove herself first.” 

Stunned, Lady Hae shared a concerned glance with the Girl with Braids. Nandita furrowed her brows. She had no clue what they were discussing but the expression on Lady Hae’s face only added more to her anxiety. 

The Girl with Braids circled around Nandita. Instinctually, Nandita crossed her arms. A failed attempt to create a barrier from the newcomer’s surveillance. A smirk danced across the girl’s lips. Before Nandita could decipher what the situation was, the sound of coughs filled the air. Nandita traced it towards the curtains. She glanced at Lady Hae in hope for some answers but the noblewoman looked as confused as Nandita felt. 

The Girl with Braids walked and opened the curtains. Beyond them, a tiny room was carved into the wall. It could only fit a bed. Upon the bed was an elderly lady. Her face was covered with a rag while she coughed. Her other rugged hand to her chest. The young girl leaned against the wall and nodded her head towards the elder. 

“Treat her.”

Nandita glanced back to Lady Hae, hoping a translation would surface. Lady Hae nodded, acknowledging the silent pleas. “She does not understand our language. If you wish to test her, you need to do so with inclusivity.”

The girl sighed. She looked back at the elderly lady on the bed, before whipping around towards Nandita. “Treat her.” 

Seung Hee

My Lady, I need you to understand, you are the one called in the favour. If she is to live here, she will need to work here. To do that, we must know how much we need to train her. I hope you don’t see this as being disrespectful.” Lady Hae rose from her seat, a stern expression on her face before it softened once again.

You’re right.” She made her way to Nandita. “We need your help. Can you treat her?”

Treat her?” Nandita repeated. 

“Yes, treat her.”

Nandita shared a puzzled look. She looked at the elderly lady and then examined everyone else. The frown on the girl’s face and the apprehension on Lady Hae’s face began to get some cogs turning. She looked back at the room. The extensive variety of herbs and spices allowed the realization of what Nandita had to do. But the question was, would she be able to fulfil their request?

 “I don’t think she understands. Maybe we should forget it.” 

“I’m sorry, but we can’t keep her here if she can’t help around. Not everyone can afford another mouth to feed, My Lady. Plus, people will talk and that will be bad for all of us.” 

A sigh escaped Lady Hae’s lips. She couldn’t just sit back and accept this. If she adopted Nandita into her household, as she had originally planned, people would find it too suspicious that the person who saved the Princes happened to be living under her roof. Many would think that the attack may have been orchestrated by them and she couldn’t risk the scrutiny. Not after finally getting in good graces with the other aristocrats. 

Allowing Nandita to be here would help comply with the King’s orders for her release, but also allow enough distance to avoid the negativity from the opinions of others. She began to chew the inside of her cheek. Could there be another way?

Her eyes followed Nandita, who had made her way to examine the medicinal plants. She watched as the girl picked up and sniffed them; her face contorting from their pungency. She placed it down, before picking up another, this time a tiny twig-like item, and bit into it. Her face revolted in disgust from the intense flavours. She picked up another and made her way to the Girl with Braids.

“Where is the water?” she said.

The young girl blinked. “What did you say?”

“Water.” Nandita gestured drinking from a cup. The Girl with Braids pointed beyond the ladder, where another room was. Nandita examined space as she entered. There was a makeshift wooden countertop, with bowls and cooking utensils on top. It also had a device that Nandita had never seen before. It looked very similar to a clay flower pot, but with a large hole to one side at the bottom, However, to her right, she recognised instantaneously as she had one similar back in India. It was a large mud stove. So it’s a kitchen. 

The Girl with Braids guided Nandita towards two large ceramic jars that were placed nearby the countertop. She grabbed a cup before opening one and scooping out its contents. Nandita shared a smile of gratitude and took the cup, as well as a spoon, and went back into the medicinal room. 

Lady Hae watched as she began to walk through the spices once more. She began to collect the herbs into the cup. Cinnamon sticks, grounded aniseed and finally the liquorice root. Could this girl know how to prepare medicinal tonics? 

She looked back at the other girl, who shared the same expression as Lady Hae; eyes wide and mouth agape. However, a smile slowly presented itself, as she continued to watch the girl. 

Nandita examined the room once more. A sigh escaped her lips. Was that everything? Ah, crap, I don’t remember. I can’t remember if this is the right amount for each ingredient. She scratched her chin and shook her head. She needed to do this. The reason why they were asking her out of all people was not clear, but Nandita could not sit idly while someone, especially an elder, was suffering. She was raised better than that. It could also help restore her karma. She shook her head. No. Her priority should be helping, no matter what it did to her karma. 

All she needed to do now was warm the concoction up. She looked back at the stove, but it was too big for what she needed. She turned back to the stranger and gestured to the stove and then to the cup.

Do you want to heat it up?” she said. Nandita took a stab in the dark and nodded. The girl took the cup away from Nandita. However, instead of going to the large stove, she grabbed a teapot and poured the contents inside. Next, she went to the flower pot and placed the teapot on top. Then she began to light a fire where the hole was. Nandita’s eyes widened before a smile displayed itself. Whoa! It’s a portable stove!

Lady Hae finally made her way to the kitchen. “Nandita, what are you doshe couldn’t finish her sentence. For the first time since she had met this girl, Lady Hae watched in awe, as a genuine smile appeared on her face. 

She took a moment to finally assess her. The bruises on her cheek had disappeared, although the more severe injuries must’ve still persisted, even if she couldn’t see them. The lack of crow's feet around her eyes highlighted how young she was. But what fixated her attention were her eyes. The slight bags under them and the almost invisible, hollowness that they possessed was something very familiar to Lady Hae. An ache began to spread within her heart. So much tragedy, at such a young age. 

As they began to prep the tea, Nandita frowned. She was missing something. Honey. Or would sugar be more readily available in this time period? She sighed. Honey would be ideal for its antibacterial properties, but if they don't have it, at least sugar would make the drink bearable.   She raised her hand through her hair. She inspected the herbal room once more but to no avail. She turned to the Girl with Braids but paused. How am I gonna explain what exactly I’m looking for? She looked back at everyone then at the teapot. Maybe we won’t need it… She let out a groan. No, we do need it. She opened her mouth before closing it again. She turned to the woman, who was still coughing. No, this will have to make do. 

After the kettle had boiled, they brought cups to the ailing woman. Nandita began to chew the inside of her cheek, as she filtered and poured the drink. 

“Forgive me,” she said, “it won’t be as perfect, or as tasty, as my sister’s, but I hope it provided some relief at least.” 

The woman hesitated. She stared at the cup. Nandita could hear her heart pound; her ears turning red. Oh, please Gods, if any of You are listening, please make sure I am doing the right thing. 

And for once, the Gods listened to her prayers. The woman removed the rag from her face and took a sip from the medicinal drink. Nandita’s heart dropped, as her face contorted from the taste. Oh no, I didn't make it correctly! I knew I should have added sugar or something to make it sweeter! 

Despite showing her disgust for the tea, the woman began to silently chuckle. She nodded to the Girl with Braids and gave the cup back to her. Nandita and Lady Hae shared a perplexed look. 

Congratulations,” the girl said, as she turned to Nandita, “you’ve passed.” She took a sip of the brew; her face also making a similar expression to the woman. “Although this is absolutely disgusting.

Lady Hae blinked. She stared at the woman's now visible face, long and hard. Despite the fact it had been years, the contours of her wrinkles were unforgettable. Although they were many more than what she remembered. She stared at the face that she was so familiar with. The face she had seen so often when the woman was treating her. She looked back at the young girl, who had begun cleaning the teacup and teapot away. The disbelief of what had transpired began to shrug away. She didn’t know if she should be enraged for the game they played, or baffled that they decided to pull something like this off. 

She could feel a headache creep up. Whatever the reason may be, would take too much energy to decipher. Energy Lady Hae didn’t have. All she knew was that this would be the best place for the girl. She looked back at Nandita, whose eyes were befuddled. Then at the room surrounding them. It was emptier than it should have been. But now, good karmic energy would also flood this place as well. Hopefully, it would be enough to absolve past mistakes. A sigh escaped her lips, as reality brushed her mind. 

So many sins to atone for. 

~~~

End of Chapter 6.

0