Chapter 13: Home sweet home
1.2k 5 68
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Home sweet home.

The cold wind of Scotland passed through me, sending chills down my spine as I was just wearing my formal suit from before. The sight never bore Whitlock, for good reason in my opinion. Whitlock manor is located in the Highlands of Scotland, I could only see white as far as my eyes could see, waves of hills protected the Manor from prying eyes, when I told you that Whitlock lived in the middle of nowhere, I am not joking, there are no civilization nearby at all.

Snow was falling from above, my breath created mist from the coldness of the place. It was an amazing sight, I can see why Whitlock always wanted to go home at Christmas, this place is a sight to behold. I then remember that I was bringing two French girls with me, that is not used to northern cold whatsoever. I could see Fleur shivering from the wind as she tended to Gabrielle who was throwing up from the Portkey Travel.

I quickly took out my wand and waved it towards myself and the two girls that were with me, casting a warming charm silently. Fleur just thanked me silently and continued to pat Gabrielle’s back to make her let out all of it.

A cracking sound suddenly entered my ear, making me turn towards the source of the sound, it was an old house elf, Dooky, who has been with Whitlock since the day he was born.

“Master Archie came home this Christmas!” she cheered, but then her expression turned 180 degrees to a face of worry. “But the master said that he won’t be coming home this year, did something happen to the master?”

Dooky quickly walked towards me, touching me all over, seemingly searching for a wound. Poor old elf, she’s been overprotective towards Whitlock since his parents died in the war, that fact made something inside of her break, the first year she kept insisting Whitlock to bring her to Hogwarts, but Whitlock didn’t want it because, well, it’s not allowed… it might look bad in the eyes of the others, and he would only be seen as one of those privileged pureblood boys.

I just patted her head as I calmed her down. “I’m fine Dooky, I just thought that I can still make it tonight.”

The old house elf blushed as she felt my hand on her head, her ears twitching. “Then Dooky will make Dinner for the master, the master should wait at the dining table.”

“We already ate Dooky.” I said, I turned to Fleur. “Are you hungry?”

“I am fine.” Fleur smiled. “Although Gabrielle might need some food, she threw up.”

Dooky nodded vigorously. “Dooky will make food for the mistress’s sister!”

And then, Dooky disappeared, apparating away.

I went to Fleur and Gabrielle. “Is she okay?”

“First apparition is not pleasant.” she sighed, Gabrielle hugging her tightly.

I nodded. “Let’s go inside.“

The double doors of the manor closed tightly as we entered the place. The temperature was wholly different from the outside, it was warm, cozy, welcoming. We are now in the great hall of the manor. I was told by Dooky that our family used to host feasts and formal dances here. At the end of the hall, there was a big shield that hung up on the wall. It was the family’s coat of arms, blue and white split in the middle with a symbol of a crown at the center of it, a simple coat of arms.

Below the coat of arms, there were the family words. ‘Nos esprits, nos couronnes’

“Our minds, our crowns.” Fleur translated it.

I just nodded at her words. “I thought it was just a saying that knowledge means power, turns out, it’s literal.”

Us three then turned to the left side of the hall, where another door awaits us. We walked towards the old door, but I stopped just before I opened it. “After I open the door, don’t wander around okay? just follow me, hold my hand if you want.”

Fleur just grabbed me by the arm and threw me a questioning look. “Why?”

“The whole place is enchanted.” I answered. “If the manor doesn’t recognize you, you’ll only be walking in an endless corridor, waiting for one of the family to either kick you out, or kill you, so just don’t wander around the place if me or Dooky is not present.”

“Can you do something about that?” she asked curiously. “I will be living here next summer, non?”

I threw her a gentle smile. “It’s a whole lot of process. We don’t have time today.”

She just nodded submissively, and I opened the door. The hallway was dark, I quickly waved my wand to turn on the light, and walked slowly through the hallway. The place was filled with paintings of my ancestor, but none were bewitched, as apparently the family didn’t allow such things, they believe that the dead should not be disturbed, especially if it involves taking out the memories of the deceased and placing it on a painting.

As they say, ‘Our minds, Our crowns’.

I quickly guided both of the girls to the kitchen, where Dooky was waiting for them, offering a lot of food to them. Fleur just looked at me helpless, but I just shrugged.

“Can you guide them to their rooms, Dooky? I need to rest.” I said quietly to the old elf. I’m feeling that the Whitlock inside of me was trying to force me towards his room, my room.

“Dooky will do as the master says!” Dooky exclaimed. “But is the mistress not going to sleep with the master? To make more little masters?”

Fleur just blushed at the suggestion, while I chuckled at the elf’s innocence. “Too early Dooky, too early…”

I walked away from the kitchen, towards my room in this empty manor.

As I opened the door of my room, I could feel a sense of familiarity that I cannot even explain. Technically, I have never been to this room, but this… this feels like home.

The room was empty, so I turned the light quickly, only to see that it was… an empty room. The room was quite large, with a bedroom as the main room, and another room leading to what looks like a fireplace.

There’s literally nothing here. Only a king-sized bed in the middle of the bedroom, a desk beside it, and a drawer for clothing. There’s nothing else. No pictures, no drawings, no hobby things, nothing. I could practically see Whitlock’s loneliness in this place, a plain bedroom with no memories at all.

I could feel my heart start to go heavy. I turned towards the fireplace room and walked towards it. There, again, nothing, well, except the fireplace, a single armchair facing the fireplace, and a small table beside it. I slowly walked towards it, touching the dusty armchair before cleaning it using a cleaning charm and sat on it.

It was the place that Whitlock spent the most time in. He loved the place, the feeling of solitude, the sound of crackling fire in front of him, the smell of dusty things, this is where he could be himself, this is where he would spend most of his time thinking. I cast a silent incendio towards the fireplace, warming the room up. I leaned on the chair and closed my eyes as the fire crackled in front of me.

Whitlock’s right, I love this place.

I sat there for hours, clearing my thoughts from all the worry of this world. For the first time in a while, I felt like that I don’t have to do anything, that there is no impending war coming, that there are no tasks that I have to worry about, only calmness.

But at the same time, I could feel that sitting here is not right, that Whitlock have to get rid of this habit, which is half true, sitting here reminds me of Whitlock’s loneliness, how he spent most of his time trying to maintain his family’s legacy and businesses, forgetting to take care of himself.

All of a sudden, I heard a cracking sound from behind me. I already knew who it was, it was Dooky, but I didn’t expect that Fleur was also with her. Dooky looked nervous, and I saw Fleur was holding a tray with teapot on it.

“I-I’m sorry master… but Mistress insists that she will make the tea herself… Dooky is such a bad elf, Mistress is tired but Dooky let her make Master’s tea…” Dooky sobbed, almost crying.

“It’s okay, Dooky.” I said to her, calming her down. “You can go now, let me be alone with Fleur for a while.”

Dooky just nodded meekly and apparated away, leaving me and Fleur alone. Fleur walked towards me and put the teapot on the table, pouring me a cup. She was wearing casual clothing, a shirt and some trousers, but  I could see that her make-up was still on.

“Why ‘aven’t you change your clothing?” she asked me curiously.

“I- I lost myself for a bit.” I chuckled nervously. I noticed that there were other chairs in the surrounding area, so I stood up. “You can sit on it if you want.”

“No, I can sit on the floor.” she said, casually sitting in front of the fireplace, I only sighed and sat beside her on the floor. She took the tea and drank it, me following her.

“Your room is rather empty.” she said calmly, looking at the crackling fire. “Is there anything that I should worry about?”

“There’s nothing at all Fleur.” I shot a weak smile at her, making her sigh. She put down her tea and just stared at the fire again.

We both just sat in a comfortable silence. Fleur was hugging her knees, resting her head on it. I honestly enjoyed this, just sitting with her, it makes me feel… whole, if that’s the right word.

“Archie…” She said my name softly. “You know you can talk to me, right?”

I nodded, still not looking at her. “I know.”

“Archie, you are not alone anymore.” she continued, not touching my hand. “Talk to me.”

I looked at her hand, and for some reason, my eyes became blurry, my body felt weak from her words. Whitlock, your poor boy, even though you and I are the same now, I still feel like I want to talk to you personally, trying to get rid of the pain in this former body of yours, because I could feel it too.

Whitlock, if you even still can hear me, if you somehow still conscious behind all this farce, hear Fleur’s words kid, as she said, you’re not alone anymore, we’re not alone anymore.

I broke down crying from her words, the closed wound bursts opened again. I sat there, sobbing quietly as I rested on Fleur’s shoulder, with her caressing me gently, bringing me soothing comfort on this cold December night.

Next morning, I felt horrible. My eyes were swollen from all the crying, and I could see that I’m still in the same position, sleeping on Fleur’s shoulder as she leaned against the armchair behind us, covered in a warm blanket.

I tried to not wake her up, she looked so peaceful when she was asleep. I just stared at her sleeping face and smiled.

Perhaps, for Whitlock and me, she’s the most important key out of all of them. I would give my life so that she could be safe, and perhaps I would do just that.

68