Chapter 4: Interlude
24 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

When she opened her eyes, her weak knees almost made her fell down before managing to hold onto the bus handle above her.

Kirana blinked. She was back in the crowded bus she was in before… before she was pulled into that weird game. Was that a dream? Kirana observed the road outside and found that she was still in the familiar route.

So, was she back?

Kirana pulled out her phone to check the time. It was a bit difficult since everyone else crowded around her like sardines, but she managed to see that it was… still 04:04 in the afternoon.

Kirana frowned. It was too realistic to be a dream…

Before she could do anything else, suddenly, the bus braked. Kirana almost fell down. She looked outside to see… an accident?

It was on a zebra cross. Someone was lying in front of the bus, blood all over him. Kirana realized with cold on her back that it was Indra, that high school kid who died…

“What the hell, why did the kid run in front of the bus?” Someone who saw the accident said.

“It was obviously green light, cars are speeding up…” Another replied. “The kid is committing suicide…”

“Poor kid…” Someone else muttered.

Kirana’s hand clenched her phone. It was obviously an idiotic thing to ran into a road full of speeding cars. The kid… died.

Was this what the game said, that dying in the game would die in reality?

Because of the accident, the bus had to be stopped and everyone inside went out. The police and ambulance started to come. The passengers were all waiting by the side of the street for another bus.

Kirana couldn’t keep her eyes from the dead kid. She felt terror deep in her bones, and from that sense of terror, her anger grew. What was this dead game doing? How could it just kill… people?

The phone that was clenched in her fist vibrated. Someone sent her a message. Before she could see who it was, Kirana noticed a weird app on her phone.

World’s Best Survival Game.

She opened it, still with anger. The interface was black and simple. There were four tabs, [Game], [Achievement], [Store], and [Profile]. The app opened to the [Game] tab, with text on the screen.

[Congratulations for clearing the novice E-level dungeon, ‘The Haunted Bus’.]

[Here are your rewards: 5 Coins, Inferior Healing Potions x3]

[Hidden Quests: 20%, Not Completed.]

[You have gotten the achievement: Kidnapper]

[You have gotten the achievement: Out of Bounds.]

Hidden quest? There was a hidden quest in that ghost bus?

She shivered, not wanting to think about it anymore. The corpse of the kid was still in front of her, mangled beyond recognition. However, her wounds from the game had disappeared. Her anger was revived and she exited the damn app, just to uninstall it.

However, after the phone said [The app was uninstalled], it was still there.

She gritted her teeth. But there didn’t seem to be any other choice. Kirana continued to check the other tabs. [Achievement], as the name suggested, was listing the achievements she had gotten in the dungeon and the explanation.

[Kidnapper: You took away someone’s baby and then managed to turn it into a weapon! Awesome.]

[Out of Bounds: Some idiots forgot to set the boundary of the dungeon and you took advantage of that! Twice, even.]

Kirana paused. Twice? Was that when she got out of bus, then got off the bus roof? So she wasn’t supposed to do that… Also, what kidnapper? If she wasn’t forced by the damn game, why would she steal another person’s kid?!

Kirana claimed the button next to the achievements.

[Achievement Rewards: Lucky Draw Ticket x2]

She ignored it for a second and moved on to the next tab. The [Store] was full of gadgets and props that made her frown. There were [Offensive], [Defensive], [Support]… There were even [Consumable] and [Cosmetic]! Kirana felt like this was just like a complete online store.

However, the currency used was [Coins]. Kirana glanced at her 5 Coins on the top right corner of the screen and at the various weapons for sale. A fire talisman for 100 coins… A gun was sold for 2000 coins… Might as well rob her!

One weapon in particular pulled her attention. [Moon Sword], sold for 50 coins. Kirana sighed heavily, knowing that she couldn’t afford anything in this section. This damn game was so greedy. They were killing the players!

In the [Support] tab, the [Inferior Healing Potion] was sold for 20 coins. Kirana remembered she got it as a reward from the novice dungeon. The description read: heal all kinds of surface wounds. At least it wasn’t worthless… Something that took her attention was [Space Ring], sold for 5000 coins. Was it like a video game inventory? But she couldn’t afford it.

The only tab that she could afford with her mere 5 coins was the [Food] one. A [Stamina Candy] was worth one point. Kirana glanced at it, then sighed. She clicked a symbol on the top right corner and was startled.

There was also an exchange of currency! Kirana was startled to find that she could exchange the coins with her real-world currency. 1 Coin was worth Rp10.000, but she could also exchange it with another country’s currency… She paused. She still had some money saved, so she decided against exchanging.

Moving on to [Profile]…

[Name: Kirana]

[Level: E – Novice]

[Stats: Agility Lv. 5; Strength Lv. 3; Speed Lv. 3; Toughness Lv. 2]

[Special Skills: None]

[Skills: Martial Arts Lv. 5; Engineer Lv. 2]

There were more tabs in this screen, such as [Inventory], [History], etc. Right under the title [Inventory], there was a small text saying [Unable to use in game dungeon. Please take out what you need before starting a dungeon]. She snorted. Of course. Otherwise, what would be the use of the [Space Ring] she saw earlier? This game was quite black-hearted, though. The warning was written in such a small font. If she wasn’t observant, she would try to pull it out in the dungeon and unable to do so.

Her [Inventory] was quite deserted, except for the [Inferior Healing Potions x3] and the [Lucky Draw Ticket x2]. With the mentality of ‘might-as-well-do-it’, Kirana clicked on the Lucky Draw Ticket. [Use to obtain various prizes from the roulette. All depends on your luck!]

[Would you like to use Lucky Draw Ticket?]

As she clicked yes, a spinning wheel appeared and started spinning. Kirana stared at her phone quietly, but it hadn’t stopped spinning. It was still spinning even after the new bus arrived and Kirana was amidst the even more crowded sardines.

At last, it stopped.

[Congratulations! You have gotten: Stick x1]

A stick? A single stick? Kirana wanted to cursed the damn game again. That was a long time, and she just got a single stick? She tapped the item and saw the description. [This is a common stick. It can be used as a weapon, or as a firewood during cold night.]

Kirana scowled. Her luck had always been average, and lately it even dipped into bad luck—otherwise why would she be chosen by this damn game? Unreconciled, she clicked to use the second Lucky Draw Ticket. This time, the wheel was spinning longer than before.

Kirana pocketed her phone and stood in the bus quietly, contemplating her situation. This damn survival game could pull her in anytime. The app couldn’t be uninstalled. She didn’t have a choice if she wanted to survive, she had to play.

So long ago, during her hardest time, she wanted to die but she lived. Now that she had gotten her average life, she had to fight to live. Kirana smiled bitterly. Was this karma?

She sighed.

The bus quickly arrived at the last destination, which was in front of her apartment. Kirana walked on quietly until she arrived at her place and closed the door. She put down her bag, then sat on the sofa to pull out her phone and turned it on.

[Congratulations! You have gotten: Space Bag Lv. 1]

Kirana widened her eyes.

She clicked on it to read the description. [You can put any item inside and get it out at any time.]

A small sachet fell out of nowhere as she clicked [Use]. Kirana opened it. There was nothing inside. It was just a sachet. She frowned and concentrated her stare at the small sachet.

Unexpectedly, her consciousness suddenly went black then brightened again. She could see a space of 50x50x50 cm in front of her eyes. Kirana frowned. Didn’t all those protagonists in the novel got, like, a huge space? How could hers be so small? Her [Stick] could barely fit the length of the box.

At least she could fit some food inside.

Kirana glanced at the Inferior Healing Potion, then brought all of them into the space. Her [Space Bag] was now halfway full. She frowned a bit, then sighed. Well, what could she expect from the damn game? At least her luck wasn’t that bad that she got another stick or something.

She got her consciousness back outside again, to her apartment. Kirana clicked back on her phone and accidentally came back to the [Game] tab.

[Please prepare for the next dungeon. Countdown: 6 days 22 hours 3 minutes.] There was also a button underneath. [Enter].

Kirana understood. It turned out she got a week to rest until the next dungeon? But she could enter in advance if she wanted.

Kirana heaved a heavy sigh. Being angry was no use. This… game entity… wasn’t something that she could fight with human strength. It was better that she tried to exercise her strength so she could be better prepared for the next… uh, dungeon.

Kirana remembered that someone sent her a message earlier and she hadn’t opened it because the damn game installed a mysterious app on her phone. She opened the messaging app and found that it was her colleague. [Kirana, the boss is asking about the newest project, have you finished the proposal yet?]

Kirana narrowed her eyes, annoyed. It was obviously not her responsibility to work on the proposal. The boss asked this colleague. Usually, in order to be low-key, Kirana would do whatever it was asked from her. She was a newbie after all.

But after experiencing that game, she suddenly didn’t want to. What would she be working so hard for if she could die anytime in the game? Kirana narrowed her eyes and typed back. [It’s not my responsibility.]

She decided to resign tomorrow.

2