Chapter 12: Mountain Village (8)
9 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Day 6 

It was morning before she realized it. She stayed awake the whole night, wresting with her thoughts—however, the headache got too much that she had to give up on her own mind. Sunlight filtered through the window was actually a gracious break for her mentality. 

Kirana, along with the two brothers, went out early in the morning. Getting out of the chief’s house, she thought several times that it was already the sixth day. The turning point with the villagers should come soon... 

Noises were heard from the inside of the house and so, as they stepped out, they saw a lot of villagers. However, these villagers were surrounding... 

Another corpse. 

By this point, Kirana was no longer surprised. She peeked through the villagers. What surprised her was that the one who was killed... was Putri. 

There was a slit on her throat, similar to Kevan’s wound the day before. She turned around, feeling a gaze on her. It was Jet, who came out behind the brothers. He smiled when he noticed her gaze. 

Kirana narrowed her eyes. “You killed her.” 

“What do you mean?” Jet grinned widely. 

“She was in a room with you last night,” she said, frowning. “I don’t believe you aren’t involved with this.” 

Jet just laughed. Before Kirana could say anything more, suddenly the villagers became noisier. 

“It’s another of the scholars, again,” a villager said. “This is not according to rules!” 

“They must be disciplined,” another replied. 

“They must be disciplined!” Someone echoed. 

“They must be disciplined...” 

The villagers all turned around at the same time. 

Their stares fell on the four players standing in front of the village chief’s house. Sensing danger, Kirana pulled Bintang’s sleeve slightly before letting go and ran sideways. 

She believed Banyu had the means to protect himself and his own brother, so she didn’t worry much about them. Instead, she was more worried about herself. Being the only female player left, she must be the prime target for the sacrifice... 

True enough, most of the villagers were chasing behind her. 

Kirana ran from the chief’s house on the end of the riverbend to the front of the village gate, sometimes diverting to the cove. She ran and ran for hours on end, hitting a few villagers that came too close with [Stick] or stabbing them with [Golden Hairpin]. Having not slept the previous night, though, her complexion wasn’t very good. 

Finally, she managed to climb atop the cove’s rocks, and the villagers who only thought to look at their eye level didn’t realize it. She heaved a relieved sigh and was about to sit down when she felt a presence. 

She turned around. Jet! 

The man was already standing atop the rocks, smiling as he saw her. “Hello, Miss Kirana,” he said almost softly. No part of him seemed menacing, but Kirana could always sense it. He wasn’t being as pleasant as he looked. 

“What do you want?” she asked, her expression unchanging. 

“Nothing much, really,” he stepped forward, “just your life!” 

Kirana managed to parry the knife going for her throat with the [Stick] that somehow has lasted through her many battles. However, Jet wasn’t an inexperienced rookie. His knife forced her to the edge of the rock. Glancing down, Kirana could see a few villagers wandering. Those villagers had gone insane. 

“Haha,” Jet laughed softly in her ears. “Say goodbye now! The rewards would all be mine now...” His face suddenly changed. 

In a turn of events, Kirana managed to summon the [Golden Hairpin] from her [Space] and stabbed Jet’s neck. Grabbing up to a crevasse, she let Jet fall from the rock. That guy’s face was full of disbelief as he fell into a crowd of rabid villagers. 

Rubbing her neck, she frowned. All the rewards? Was that why he...? Seeing his knife earlier, she could estimate that he was the one who killed Kevan and Putri. Her face suddenly changed. Banyu and Bintang! 

The group of rabid villagers was too occupied with Jet to see her jumping from the rock to a villager’s roof. She had better sight now to find the two brothers. 

Her face changed as she realized where they were. Both brothers were standing by the riverbank, fighting against the shaman. However, the surging river told her that another entity would enter that battle. She ran from roof to roof to reach them and thankfully, she was able to catch Bintang’s hand before he could fall into the river. 

However, the teen’s attention was not even on his own well-being. “Brother!” Bintang exclaimed. 

Not far beside him, Banyu had also lost his balance. In that precarious moment, Banyu managed to hold onto a bloodied rope... that he had somehow tied into the shaman’s legs. The shaman’s face turned livid. “You dare!” 

With a smile, Banyu pulled the shaman, using the momentum to prevent himself from getting into the river. Instead, with that momentum, the shaman was thrown back to the river. 

A loud splash could be heard. Kirana observed immediately. The river had surging waves and swallowed the shaman immediately. 

The three of them heaved a loud sigh as they sat on the riverbank, all bloodied and injured. They made sure to stay far away from the river. 

“I wonder what use male players have here,” Kirana thought out loud as she laid down on the earth. 

“I think the shaman is trying to find a body for his dead son,” Banyu replied. “A vessel is probably needed for resurrection. However, he didn’t manage to get it till the very end.” 

“Well, just one more day left...” 

At that moment, Seruni suddenly appeared behind and launched Kirana. She managed to parry, but the old woman was now as crazed as the other villagers. She kept attacking. “My husband... my son... You b*tch!” 

Seruni didn’t have the supernatural power of her husband, but with her crazed behavior, the river surged even more. Kirana frowned when she saw the surging river, and her face turned worse when she saw the mad villagers who were attracted by the noise. They were now trapped between a rock and a hard place. 

At that moment, Banyu threw out the bloodied rope and it immediately caught on Seruni’s arm. That rope was almost like a snake... as if it had its own mind. He pulled it hard and with that, Seruni was thrown to the river like her husband. But the cost of that was that Banyu’s arm, which still had injuries from the vine-like pattern, was broken, and he was pulled several meters nearing the river. The surging water welcomed that, and river vines caught his feet. 

“Brother!” Bintang yelled. 

Kirana narrowed her eyes. The options were limited. She thought back on the resources she had in her [Space]: [Stick], [Golden Hairpin], [Mina’s Diary Page], and... Ah! [Blue Flower Poison]! She had almost forgotten she had it since it sat in the corner of her [Space] in a small plastic bag. 

She got it out and threw it into the river. 

The surging water paused, almost frozen in pain. She took that moment to pull Banyu away from the river. 

When it realized that, the surging water got even wilder for a few seconds. Kirana held onto the two brothers with a crazily beating heart, looking at the ferocious waves. It tossed and turned, like someone rolling on the ground in pain... 

Then, the river was completely stilled. The water was murky, and she couldn’t see the bodies that were supposed to be down there. 

The villagers had also completely stopped walking. 

The three all heaved a collective sigh. 

“Thank you, Miss Kirana!” Banyu exclaimed as he felt his life was out of danger. “Thank you for saving my life again!” 

“Miss, what did you throw?” Bintang asked curiously. 

“The poison that kills the village chief,” Kirana replied casually, glancing at the now calm river. She couldn’t help but grin. “Now, we just have to wait until tomorrow.” 

1