1. The VR Helmet
335 2 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"199… And… 200!" I let out a cheer of joy and zipped the wallet shut. The coins clattered inside the leather wallet, sounding like sacred bells in my ears.

After years of doing all sorts of labor, I managed to earn enough to buy a VR Helmet. The time couldn't be any sweeter.

Currently, the TV screen flickered until showing News that was broadcasted at a very unusual time. It should have started several hours later. But, it wasn't strange to me because of one specific reason.

The News Anchor talked about the release of a new VR game that was said to revolutionize the world. The world had been blessed with VR Games for several decades, but they all missed something vital.

They never felt real.

However, the game called Fantasy Online was said to be as real as the real world itself!

I swiftly grabbed the TV remoter and closed the News. The screen turned black, and I could see my reflection gazing back at me.

My short black hair was darker than the screen itself. I saw my gray eyes that shone radiantly with a shimmer of excitement visible.

After standing up, my lanky-build was getting hugged tightly by the sweat-drenched shirt. I closed my eyes as a sparkle of light seeped through the openings of the curtains.

Then, I went to my wardrobe and threw my shirt into a washing bin while taking the first shirt I could find from the selection of various garments.

After putting it on, I closed the wardrobe doors and pocketed the wallet that weighed me down considerably.

I felt instantly pressured. The wallet contained my two years of hard work and losing it would be a tragedy. However, I had no time to mull over what could happen.

I left my room and walked down the stairs that led to the living room. Without taking a glance at the spacious living room, and kitchen, I walked to the front door, slipped my feet into my shoes, and opened the door.

However, then I heard approaching footsteps coming from the kitchen. I hurried and stepped out of the house. Before closing it, I heard a gentle voice speaking with concern.

"Liam, where are you going?"

It belonged to my mother.

"I am going to visit my friends. See you!"

Bam!

I closed the door and quickly hopped on my bicycle's saddle. Then, I began pedaling away from the yard and started my journey to the store.

The neighborhood yards were filled with flower beds and a stone path leading to the front door. Few elderly folks washed their plants or talked with their family members or neighborhoods.

I got greeted and returned them with a wave of my hand. Then, I reached the end of the neighborhood and continued riding down a long street with cars driving by. The sidewalks were relatively empty, allowing me to ride my bicycle rather easily.

Soon, I saw a bustling shop. I increased the pedaling pace and soon reached the front of the store.

I hopped out of the saddle and placed the bicycle at the side of the building before rushing inside the store.

Instantly, I hurried toward the VR Helmets with excitement visible in my eyes. However, soon that look turned into panic. There weren't any helmets, instead empty shelves with broken-down signs.

I gulped down my anxiety and went to the front desk, where the Clerk was checking something out on his phone.

After appearing in front of the desk, the Clerk had enough professionalism to look me in the eye.

"Where are the VR Helmets?" I asked with my voice shaking. Even though I had a hunch, I hoped that I was over-imagining it.

However, soon that hope was crushed into million pieces.

"Sorry young lad, they are sold out." The Clerk was a middle-aged man with slight boredom oozing out with every word of his, "Next patch should come in… 6 months or so."

My hopes were crushed, and I almost let out a barrage of curses. However, I only clenched my fist and left the store with regret filling every fiber of my being.

How could I be so unlucky?!

I heard that only morning there were still several hundred VR Helmets left. Now, they have been sold off, in only several hours!

I pulled out my heavy-looking wallet and watched as my hand began trembling uncontrollably. Then, I pocketed it and took out my phone from my back pocket.

After opening the messaging app, I sent a message to my childhood friend and said that all VR Helmets were sold off.

I pocketed the phone after thinking that I won't receive a reply soon. However, then I felt the phone vibrating, and I again took it out.

My eyes widened in surprise after reading the text inside my mind. Apparently, my friend had a friend that had one spare copy of VR Helmet.

Even though I trust him. There was an odd feeling inside me. There was something strange in how my friend phrased the word "spare copy".

I shook my head, removing those useless thoughts away from my mind. Then, I pocketed the phone and hopped back into the saddle of my bicycle.

My friend told me where his friend was living, and apparently, he was already there. I began pedaling, left the somewhat crowded area of the town, and reached a neighborhood with crude-looking buildings and dead flowers.

At that moment, I knew that there was no way anyone could afford VR Helmet except with stealing.

"Fuck… Jack, you better not screw me over!" Soon, I reached the place of the meeting. It was in front of a two-floor building.

From outside, the house looked dark and isolated. However, there was a sign of movement from the windows, and soon the door opened with two young men stepping out.

The first young man I could recognize, it was my friend, Jack Ledge. He was around 180cm tall with shoulder-length blond hair and a semi-average face. His body was the only interesting aspect, packing a decent six abs with muscles bulging through his cheap-looking clothes.

The second young man was as shady as I expected. A dirty-looking face with eyes curved menacingly. His lips were quite dry, and his eyes hazy. He was draped in tattered rags that exposed his skinny body.

I already felt like cursing at my old friend. However, I jumped down from the saddle of my bicycle and entered the yard.

Then, my eyes were locked on the cardboard box the shady-looking man was carrying.

"Liam." Jack came to me and shook my hand with some force behind. I shook it and turned to look at the shady man.

"My name is Andrew… Nice to meet you." The shady-looking man put the cardboard box under his armpit and used his other hand to shake hands with me.

After hearing his voice, I felt instinctive wariness. Still, my eyes lingered in the direction of the cardboard box.

"Do you have the money?" Jack asked while scratching his forearm for some reason.

I nodded and said, "Show me the helmet."

"Hehe, sure." Andrew surprisingly accepted. He opened the box, and inside there, I saw a brand new VR helmet. It looked like it was never touched before.

It was shaped like a downhill skier helmet with the color white. However, there was a dark-colored visor with buttons on the side of the helmet.

I nodded and tossed the wallet to Jack. It had nothing of value to me. I had a better wallet back home, and I only used that leather wallet to store my accumulated money.

After getting the money, Jack counted and nodded while doing so.

Then, Andrew gave the box to me and entered the house with Jack. While closing the door, Andrew's creepy-looking eyes were locked with mine. During the whole encounter, my body felt cold and unfamiliar.

There was something odd with that shady-looking man. I dropped my gaze and opened the box one more time.

After looking at the helmet for several seconds, I closed the box and hopped back into my bicycle's saddle.

11