Chapter 3
102 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Alex opened the door for her, and he slipped into the seat, then pulled the window down and made herself comfortable. Alex walked to the other side, got in and started the car. It was a good ten minutes before the tension and silence became unbearable. Every other second Haley's eyes would wonder at Alex's direction and look at his muscular thighs, arms, or his lips. He tried to get off but he didn't go. 

-   So what has gotten you in Summersville? - Alex asked. Hayle shuddered at his voice. She tried to answer kindly, but she was afraid her voice might let out anger.

-   A wedding - she answered and she managed to even crack a smile. 

-   Then we headed to the same place my dear - said Alex - Do you know the bride? Maybe I can find out your name? -  Now is the time to tell him the truth Hayle thought,  but then she would need to sit through the awkward silence and listen to him rent for the other thirty minute. She decided to enjoy the anonymity a little longer, Alex can only be mad at himself for not catching on earlier, she has changed a lot but not beyond recognition. 

-   Team bride. I went to college with Carrie. My name is Julien. Do you belong to the bride or the groom?

-   To the latter one. My brother Tom is the lucky one - he said with this big arrogant smile on his face. Hayle got the urge to cut off the man's horn just a little, pretending to be surprised.

-   Ah then you are The Alex… Tom's gay bother,  Carrie has told me a lot about you - she finished and then she tried not to laugh and she was able to hold back. You couldn't say that about Alex his eyes had flashed in he direction and she could swear she saw anger in them.

-   Gay?! 

-   Yes Tom gay brother! -  Hayle chirped lively, then a second later she covered her mouth nervously. - Or maybe…you not…- and then she let the word hang in the air. Alex's eyes have suggested that he couldn't decide that he would rather strangle her  or to throw her out of his car. Nonetheless she thought it was all very funny, but it seemed like he didn't appreciate her humour. 

-   No I'm not - he said angrily, then started the car again. - What made you think that I'm gay?" Did Carrie tell you that? -  Alex asked, still growling. I think that had cooled him down now, it was hard not to see that Alex's every look was full of hot excitement or that he was watching her lips every second, she knew the man liked her.

-   No, Carrie didn't say anything. I thought because you are an attractive man- but Carrie mentioned that you are not  in a relationship and that you kind of stay to yourself never mind sorry if I had upset you -  she said. Victory. 

They have reached Summersville. Alex was still wondering why the hell the woman thought he was gay, just because he hadn't had a long-term relationship for a while that doesn't mean anything.

-   Where should I drop you off dear Julien? - he asked through his teeth. The woman had screwed over his idea that he was planning to invite her to dinner, but now he didn't see much of a chance of that happening.

-   The Davis farm will be perfect if it's not any inconvenience for you, Mr Cross - she said with a smile. Alex snarled at her direction and then steered the car in the farm direction. His phone started to ring. He touched the screen of his phone. It was his future sister in law. He answered the call.

-   Hello Carrie.

-   Did you find Hayle Alex? - The girl asked excitedly. Hayle immediately began to choke as she heard her sister's voice. 

-   No Carrie, are you sure she is arriving by bus today? - the man asked while trying to concentrate on the road.

-   Yes, for sure. Wait let me call her and ask.

Hayle put her hand into her pocket and silenced her phone. Within seconds, her  phone showed: Carrie calling. She didn't pick it up. Alex's phone rang again. - Is there something?

-   No she didn't pick it up. Do you think something might have happened to her Alex? - When she heard her sister's shaky voice, Hayle felt bad, but then she thought only a couple of minutes before they got to the house they wouldn't die. After a couple of minutes, they really won't die in that much time. Alex's statement has angered her though. 

-   Don't worry, Carrie I'm sure she is fine. She is just being irresponsible if she doesn't get here by night then I'll go to Nashville myself and drag her back home - the man said firmly. 

Hayle watched the man in disbelief. Irresponsible? What do you mean by this blister? He has no idea what he is talking about. He can't even guess what kind of person she has become. How dare he judge her. She was about to enlighten this colossal ass when, fortunately, he parked in front of the cast iron gate. They drove into the Davis Farm. Alex parked angrily in front of the house and then got out. He took the woman's handbag out of the trunk and waved to her to follow. Hayle thought what the hell this man was thinking, wanting to show her the home where she had spent her whole childhood, and then it dawned on her that her identity would be kept secret in front of the man for only a few more minutes. Then he'll know who he had spent the last hour with and whom he was glancing at with hungry eyes.

-   Carrie I'm here and brought Julien, too - Alex shouted.

 Hayle slowly followed the men into her home. Nothing changed. The hallway was bright with a bouquet of red roses on the table, her mother's favourite flower. For their tenth anniversary her father had planted an entire hectare of land with red roses just to surprise her mother. It was a fond memory, halfway down the hall she discovered a picture of herself  over the fireplace in the living room. Looking at the picture, she wasn't surprised that Alex didn't recognise she looked nothing like that girl in the picture. In the picture, a chubby little girl looked back, touching the tooth where it was covered by the old braces. How much I changed, she thought. Hayle heard her sister's voice, tears have started to gather in her eyes.

-   Who is Julien? What are you talking about, Alex?

-   She is your friend from college - the man said while pouring himself a drink. 

-   Alex, I didn't have a friend named Julien in college, and I may say so I never had a friend named Julien -  Carries said. Hayle laughed. That is her sister.

-   If this is not Julien then who is it? - Alex's voice was full of suspicion. It's time Hayle thought and put a smile on her face as she walked through the door.

-   I'm here - she shouted, and she only heard Carrie's scream and then she was on the ground where her sister tackled her.

 

Thanks for reading. I hope that you have enjoyed this next chapter. If you can, please continue to support me so I can keep writing it for you guys. If you want to check out my patreon on the link below it would be much appreciated.  

https://www.patreon.com/kjsulliven

 

I'll see you guys later :)

K. J. Sulliven

 

1