Chapter 84: I, The Author, Would Like to Apologize to Matt and Evelyn for all the Traumas
381 2 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Aoife

I hated the waiting.

I hated the idle hours, wiling away, not knowing if the four members of our little advance party were still alive, not knowing if the battle had been lost before it even began. I couldn’t relax. Not just in the sense that I was having a hard time keeping calm, but because we needed to be ready to move at a moment’s notice, because I specifically was supposed to be the first on the front line. I was the fastest and the strongest, and I’d be the only one who’d have a chance at getting those four out of there in time if something went wrong.

Even if things went off without a hitch in the village, we also had to worry about our own discovery. This close to Sunrise, we were well within range of their hunters, and if they spotted us and got word back, it was over. I could do nothing but sit and wait and sharpen my claws, praying to nobody that we’d remain undetected.

I wasn’t the only one feeling restless either, the goblins kept close to their centaur escorts, tittering among themselves, Cass had her oversized sword drawn and ready, and even Lilly, the giant wolf that had once been Erica’s dog, seemed nervous, pacing back and forth between Erica and Pete and pressing her furry head into them both.

I was fishing through my bag for some jerky when I heard it, a sound like rolling thunder, echoing through the trees. A hush fell over the camp, and all eyes turned towards me as I dropped my pack to the ground. I’m really not the public speaking type, but somehow I’d ended up in charge, and I figured I had to say something. I flexed my claws, took one last look at the community I’d worked so damn hard to build, and said the first thing that came to mind.

“Let’s win.”

Very inspiring, Aoife.

What came next was a blur  as all our fastest members started scooping up their riders, and monsters all over camp began downing their potions, some growing bigger and stronger, some becoming increasingly hard to see, and a select few sprouting broad wings and patches of sapphire scales. I could only give so much blood, but we’d make every drop count.

If Eric was giving the signal, that means phase one was dealt with, and all but Cyrus’ most loyal humans would either be out of the fight or switching sides entirely. Next we had to deal with the angels. To that end, I shifted into my giant lizard form, crouching down so Cass could climb on my back. Together, she and I would begin the difficult task of killing cherubs and nabbing their swords. Speaking from experience, those things hurt, and they’d be vital if anyone else was going to meaningfully hurt Cyrus.

With Cass firmly secured I took a running leap, taking off towards sunrise.

Matt

I was lying in the grass somewhere. People were shouting nearby. Lots of people by the sound of it. The air smelled like burning meat.

I couldn’t get that awful sight out of my head, Evelyn, burnt to a crisp and shaking like a leaf, placing herself between us and that horrible thing I used to trust. Evelyn on the floor, limbs tangled as Cyrus laughed his head off. His boot on her chest, her teeth buried in his hand, eyes glazed over with pain and hunger.

Then there was a red blur, then I was lying in the grass, and the air smelled like burning. People were shouting. I think Chelsea was one of them, but Evelyn was burnt on the ground and Mom was bleeding on the kitchen floor and-

“Fuck, Matt! Grab the blood bags! Please!” Chelsea was shouting, and something was thumping and thrashing in the grass. She sounded upset. I looked over towards the thrashing and saw her. She was straddling Evelyn, trying desperately to pin the starved vampire as she thrashed and wailed and hissed. “Matt please! We can save her!”

Oh.

Right.

She was still alive. 

She was still here.

We could save her.

I shot up to my feet before sprinting towards the pair. Evelyn still had her backpack on, and with any luck, she’d still have some blood left. Cyrus knew we were here now. We didn’t have to worry about her scent anymore.

I grabbed the straps of her pack, and with some help from Chel, we managed to roll her onto her stomach. As I began rifling through the pockets, Chel focused all her attention on keeping Evelyn restrained. I managed to unzip the main pocket, digging through camp and first aid supplies. I’d just found some stuff that looked promising when Chel swore, and a gunshot rang out, followed by a heavy thud.

“Lord Cyrus would like me to convey his deepest disdain.” The angel’s voice was hollow and featureless. I couldn’t tell you if it was low or high, rich or breathy, quiet or loud, it simply was. It had too many faces, four wings, and a golden sword, with a fresh bullet wound in its shoulder. Other than its recent drop from the sky, it didn’t seem all that bothered by it. “He has asked me to make this painful.”

Just then, while our attention was on the angel, Evelyn bucked hard, flinging Chel and I to the ground. She stood up, eyes devoid of anything but hunger and for a moment, I was back in that bloody kitchen.

Then she rushed me.

10