2 – First Night
18 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

He opened his eyes to find himself in a very familiar place, his older brother's house, but even if he was pretty nostalgic he could feel it was just a dream, although a very realistic one. He took off his shoes at the entrance and went inside the house feeling a little emotional, it felt like it's been years since he's been here in this place. Walking to the living room he found the figure of his older brother getting ready to go to work, his wife must have left already. His brother got up and walked to the only place in the living room that was different from what he remembered. He got dumbfounded when he saw it, in a corner of the living room there was a small altar with an offering, and in the photo on top of the altar was his smiling face beside his brother from when they went to an amusement park together. His brother went in front of the altar, put his hands together, and started to pray, strangely enough, even if his mouth wasn't moving he could hear his brother clearly.

"Hey, Akio, how is it going on there in the afterlife? I can't believe it's already been 1 month since you've been gone. I still think that anytime you're gonna call me to talk about something silly, or just gonna show up out of nowhere just to eat dinner with us, then we would spend the night drinking and talk about anime we liked to watch, man I'm gonna miss this so much. Did you know? Yesterday we found out that Maya is pregnant, we were so happy, it seems that even with all the misfortune, life still goes on. But this is good, it will help me keep my feet on the ground, keep going on for my wife and my child now, we decided that if it is a boy we will name him after you, and it will definitely be an incredibly strong baby. You know, Maya says that it was an accident, that nobody could foresee it, but I blame myself for what happened. You sent me a message telling me that your illness was kicking in the day before, I thought about going to your house to check on you but I was so tired from the work that I decided to just sleep, the next day I woke up late so I just went to the office and forgot to message you. I keep thinking, if I went to your house that night or before going to work, maybe you wouldn't need to go to the store that day, I could buy it for you, or just drive you there instead, if I could just keep you home that day, maybe... maybe you would still be here with us you know? I knew you were sick, that maybe you needed my help, but I forgot and just went to work, I'm just a shitty older brother. Hey, Akio... Wherever you are now... can you... can you forgive me?"

By the end of the prayer, a few tears could be seen streaming down his face, Akio similarly shed more than a few tears while listening to his brother. He knew this was just a dream, maybe it was some regret that he had deep within and didn't have had the time to process yet, but it was so realistic, so vivid, he couldn't see his brother blaming himself for his death and remain silent to this. Akio then went in front of his brother and hugged him, the sensation was a little weird, like touching something that wasn't exactly solid, something that could disappear at any moment. His brother could not see him, but he probably felt something, since he reacted and got surprised by the sudden hug. Wasting no time, Akio spoke to his brother about what was on his mind.

"There isn't anything to forgive you for, idiot... You didn't do anything wrong, I couldn't ask for a better brother than you. You know, I indeed had some hard times after what happened, but I happen to have been just reincarnated, although it has only been a few hours since I was born I've got a feeling that it will be a good life, an angel promised me that so I'm certain of it. So... you don't need to be worried about me okay? I'll be just fine, just keep going on, take good care of Maya, and I really want to see my future niece or nephew, and I will keep going on too, I promise you I'll live a life that will make you proud. I love you, dude"

He didn't know if his brother heard him at all, but just when finished speaking, his brother started sobbing loudly. Akio stood there patting his brother for several minutes until he calmed down. When he got up again, he put some offerings at the altar and then got out to work. His figure when he went out seemed a little lighter as if he let go of something weighing on his mind.

***

He opened his eyes suddenly and tried to look around, but since he was a newborn he could do little more than flail his arms around and look a little to the sides. Seeing his tiny hands and the fact that he was in a cradle inside an unknown room, he could assume that everything with his brother before was just a dream. Dreaming about this now led him to think about something that he didn't quite have had the leeway to think about until now, his brother and best friend, the two most important people to him in his past life. His parents in the past life died in a car accident when he was almost finishing high school, the only thing that kept him from crumbling at the time were these two. His brother was already married and working at the time, and he lived with his brother after everything, his best friend helped him cope with a good part of the grief, and the two ended up going to the same university the next year. If he could, he wanted to at least tell them he was okay now, that they don't need to worry about him.

To distract himself from the melancholic feelings creeping inside him, he decided to investigate what he could see of his room from inside his cradle. The room seemed very spacious for a child's room, but it was weird, all the furniture seemed of very good quality but they were way too old-fashioned, like those you would see in museums with items of nobles of the middle age. More so, he couldn't find any light switches or power plugs on the walls. It's like he was inside a museum or a thematic park about the middle ages. If he wanted to be far-fetched, he could guess his new family couldn't afford a house with electricity but looking at the quality of everything in the room, that is impossible. The second guess it's something that should be impossible, but yet most probable, he might have reincarnated in the past. Taking account of everything that happened to him, this isn't even the most unbelievable thing on his list.

The room was relatively spacious and the furniture evoked that kind of noble-like feeling, on one side there was a dresser decorated with variated toys, there was a table with a rocking chair right beside it, and on the opposite side, stood a big bookshelf with children's picture books and some more toys, and then two doors, one beside the bookshelf and the other directly opposed to the cradle. One door probably led to the corridor and the other led to his mother's room, to facilitate when taking care of the baby. The only discrepancy in this setting is a single lamp, standing there in the middle of the table, made of something resembling white marble and decorated with moderate amounts of gold. What differed it from a normal lamp is the place where should be a light bulb there was a polished white stone with some engravings that he couldn't see clearly in the dark. The object was so strange and discrepant with the rest of the room that for a few moments he just look at it trying to imagine what was that lamp-like object, maybe a luxurious stand to display the stone that might be something precious? But even this still seemed a bit wrong, since aside from the stone, all the rest very much was the structure of an electric lamp. In the middle of his pondering something happened that distracted him, some sort of transparent-white-ish window opened before his eyes in a game-like way.

Magic Lamp
A luxurious version of a common household magic item. Made with polished and painted steel and gold by a high-class blacksmith, the lamp contains magic stone engraved with the [Light] spell.
Because the magic stone is of a higher grade it requires a big interval to recharge the magical power.
Rarity: Common

What the-

He stared at the game-like status window and its contents, his mind took a long time to understand all the information that was being presented to him. By now he is already getting used to the impossible things happening all the time. Going by the content of the description the Electric Lamp he saw is actually a Magic Lamp, the engraved stone must be the magic stone it talks about and must be what lights up when it's activated. If it is to be believed then magic not only exists, people have enough understanding of it to create home appliances using this magic. For the first time, he thought about the possibility of this not being the same world that he came from.

Some other questions arise after this, why did he see the status window? Can any person do the same? Can he do it again? With the intent to investigate those questions he turned to look at the rest of the furniture and like what he did to the lamp, he stared at them intently while wishing to know more about them. It worked the same way again.

Dresser
A dresser made of fine-quality wood built by a high-class artisan.
Rarity: Common

 

Rocking Chair
A nursing chair made of Treant Wood, and white leather. The chair contains a magic circle inscribed with [Automatic Heat Adjustment] at the bottom.
Rarity: Rare

 

He got really surprised, the description of the dresser was exactly like as expected, but who could tell that the chair was such a convenient item. Looking at his cradle it seems that it had the same type of magic, so that's why even though he is only covered with thin sheets he doesn't feel any cold, magic sure is convenient. It was so surreal that for a moment he could even say that this was a game if everything else didn't feel so real. Suddenly he was struck by an idea. If this works with objects, would it work with people too? He clumsily brought his hands in front of his eyes and did the same thing one more time.

Status

Name: Alec Velart

Age: 0

Race: Human

Level: 1

HP: 10/10

MP: 1875/1875

STR: 1

STM: 2

AGI: 1

MGK: 317

DEX: 1

Unique Skills

God Eyes

Item Storage

Translation

Skills

Mental Fortitude (Lvl. X)

Pain Tolerance (Lvl. X)

Titles

Reincarnated from a Different World

The One who Survived the Void

Blessing of the Goddess of Creation

This time way more information than he expected came in the window. From what he can see his name now must be Alec Velart and the majority of his status were befitting of a newborn baby, except MP and MGK, but since he doesn't know the standard values he doesn't know if it is high or not. Next came the confusing things, unique skills, skills, and titles. There were entries easier for him to understand than others, like the skill [Translation] or the title [Reincarnated from a Different World], after all this is really another world and he is reincarnated, and the skill is probably what helped him understand what people said right from the start. But all the other skills and titles made little sense to him, and then, as usual, another window opened over the status window.

God Eyes

Type: Unique Skill

Level: --

A higher version of the skill [Appraisal], allows the user to inspect the details and status of objects, materials, and other living beings.

Unlike [Appraisal] the unique skill [God Eyes] does not require magic power to operate, which makes it undetectable by magic sense.

So he was using this skill when he saw information about the things in his room, he doesn't know the difference between skills and magic but its good that people couldn't see he was using it, it may be weird if a newborn baby goes around using skills. After some digression, he continued reading the details of the other items. The skill [Item Storage] worked like an unlimited inventory in a game, with the addition of stopping the time for the stored items and didn't need magic power to activate, it seemed to be another higher version of a normal skill. The [Translation] skill is pretty direct, it lets the user understand and speak various languages, that skill was something granted by the title [Reincarnated from a Different World]. The [Mental Fortitude] and [Pain Tolerance] raised tolerance to pain and helped maintain a calm mind in distressing situations since it wouldn't completely negate pain and distress, he didn't know to what degree would be the effects. The other two titles got him thinking a bit, the title [The One Who Survived the Void] refers to the time he passed trapped inside that dark place, and the chances of him surviving there were so low that he got commended for it. The most puzzling one was the [Blessed by the Goddes of Creation], which was the title that granted him his two other unique skills, it was given to people who received blessings directly from the goddess of creation, since he met that angel he does not deny the existence of gods, but he doesn't know why would he receive such favor from the seemingly most important goddess, not that he would complain about it.

He didn't quite understand yet how skills truly worked or how good were his skills, but from their description, he thought it would be at least pretty useful in daily life in general, carrying things without feeling their weight or studying things, those prospects got him a little excited about his future, but now there is another pressing matter that Alec has been trying hard to ignore but he can't anymore. He is starving, well, it makes total sense since he was born he didn't eat even once. He knows that being a newborn, the act of eating will be a mental hurdle by itself, but the current problem is how should he inform someone that he is hungry. Even if his soul is older his current body is that of a child's, he doesn't have even an inch of the emotional control he wished to have, actually he is almost crying out right now. Unfortunately for his pride, it seems that crying is the only way to attract attention, and when he was preparing himself he heard the click of the door handle.

From the door came in a woman dressed in maid clothes, the maid had shoulder-length red hair, a cold look in her eyes, and surprisingly she had a pair of cat ears and tail shaking behind her back, "Here goes fantasy again!", thought him. Despite having the same facial expression, her eyebrows raised a little, indicating that she got surprised to see that the baby was already awake. The cat-maid walked briskly to the cradle and gently took him in her arms, if one looked just at her face one could think she was only doing it because of her job, but her excitedly shaking tail betrayed any indifferent looks she had. In fact, Lydia became quite worried seeing the baby awaken but in silence, she thought maybe it was ill and couldn't even cry, but once she saw its curious eyes looking at her as if nothing was wrong she was so relieved she almost fell on her knees right there.

"Oh my, you scared me a lot mister, for a second I thought something happened. By the hour you already must be quite hungry, why didn't you cry? Let me take you to the Madam so she can feed you"

"Wahh..." 

"So cute..."

"Haha"

When Lydia brought Alec to his room earlier, the Lady had said to her to ask someone to wait by the door for when the baby cried. A great part of the more experienced maids was also exhausted from all the tension during the labor, taking it into consideration, Lydia decided that she herself would stay by the door, in the older times it wasn't uncommon for her to stay one or two nights up while camping. After several hours the baby still didn't wake up, she started to get worried, newborn babies need to be fed at regular intervals since their bellies couldn't hold much food at once. Lydia then entered the room to check on the baby and found him awake, after the initial shock she rapidly went and put him in her arms. Even if the baby wouldn't understand she still spoke some words to vent a little after the sock she had, and hearing her the baby look her in the eyes, and tried to reach her ears. It was such a genuine gest, she could see the curiosity brimming in his eyes, it is impressive how such a young child can already express such emotions. Lydia got caught so off guard that she ended up unknowingly presenting her ear to the curious miniature of a person. The baby ran its fingers in her ears and laughed with his small mouth, the sheer amount of willpower Lydia needed to not squash that cute thing in a hug was enormous. Unfortunately, it was already time for the baby's meal, so Lydia hardened her heart and separated the baby from her ears, after which she took him to the Lady so he could eat.

That was how ended Alec's first night in this new world.

1