Will you be my sword?
119 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The scene in the gymnasium was dire. A student was writhing in pain from sparring with a teacher. It's not just any teacher. Eburhardt Athens. One of the strongest people in the country. Vulen couldn't help but writhe in agony. His chest and arms were shattered into hundreds of pieces, but the smile on his face caused the students around him to admire such strength. Eburhardt looked at him with indifference, but internally, he was jumping for joy.

‘ I found it. My first apprentice. Destroying him after he reaches great heights will be my greatest pleasure.’

A human woman with hair as green as vibrant trees, delicate eyes as if her gaze carried warmth, and the softest facial features approached Vulen with eyes full of concern. Vulen stared at the woman whose hands spread warmth through his body, slowly healing his fatal injuries. Her button nose and round cheeks made her look younger than she was. Vulen couldn't believe a woman her age was so strong. The power that radiated from her was immense. He could tell she was stronger than Alton.

Her hazel eyes landed on the rugged teacher who hadn't said a word since the battle ended.

“ You know you’ve taken your antics too far Eburhardt. You could've killed him! It’s a miracle that he isn't in a coma as we speak! You damn barbarian.” Her voice carried a hint of disgust. Eburhardt reputation exceeded him. He was a teacher known to break his students mentally and physically. The only reason why he still had a job was that those who stuck with it had great results. That and because he could kill most people without breaking a sweat.

“ Oh shut up and heal the boy Magrit. He knew what he was getting into when he fought me and he still did. A true man and warrior. Unlike the pussy engaged to my daughter.”

He side-eyed Edward who ignored the taunting and focused on his friend whose breathing grew weaker and weaker. Vulen just fought a nine-core mana user for him after only knowing him for a couple of days. An act that’d moved him. In this short span of time, Vulen had been more of a brother to him than his siblings ever were.

“ Hang in there buddy. I swear I’ll get you the best food Aflair has to offer!” Edward couldn't stop the tears from pouring. Everyone around him looked confused. They’d never seen or heard of Vulen outside of today and the Edward Sullivan was crying over his condition.

“ Calm down Edward and give him some space. I promise that I can heal him, but he’ll need to rest for at least three weeks.”

Vulen could feel his heart stop for a moment. Three weeks? Whatever advantage he had over his classmates would be over, but deep down inside, he knew something like this would happen. Vulen, the cursed elf who brought death and misfortune wherever he went, was what his tribe called him. It looked like their thoughts weren't wrong.

The healing was finished moments later and two humans arrived with a stretcher, carrying Vulen to his room with Edward a few feet back. When they left, the atmosphere between the two was awkward, before Edward could no longer hold back.

“ Why are you like that Vulen?” His voice was shaky. His feelings were too conflated. No one besides his mother had gone to such extremes to defend him, but Vulen had only known him for a day. Was friendship that important to him?

“ Like what?” Vulen said confused.

“ You haven't known me that long, but you didn't hesitate to defend me against someone who could break your bones with a pluck. I couldn't move an inch and you jumped head first into danger for someone you’ve known for a day.”

“ You said we are friends right?”

“ Yes, but-”

“That's all the justification I needed. I won't allow anyone to harm the people I care about and who care about me. As long as we’re friends, I’ll fight on your behalf versus anybody. I don't care how strong they are. Everyone’s strong to someone who's been weak his whole life.”

Edward had no way to respond to that. He could only sit there, contemplating his own thoughts. He wouldn't have gone that far for Vulen. If this was Vulen’s morals, what was his? Am I Really a coward? Do I deserve my name? His thoughts sent him through a multitude of negative emotions. But one thing he did know. He needed to re-evaluate who he called his ‘friends’. No one had defended him when his family members disparaged him and his mother's names. No one stopped his sibling's torment and bullying, but the elf who’d known him less than forty-eight hours risked his life for him.

“ Vulen, I can't allow you to act on behalf as friends.”

Vueln felt pain in his chest. Am I going to lose my second friend this quick? He’d tried to suppress the emotion bubbling in his chest, but not having negative emotions for eighteen years made it difficult. Edward, noticing the change in Vulen’s demeanor, immediately cleared the misunderstanding.

“ Calm down Vulen. I want you to be my sword.”

Vulen calmed down immediately, which struck a bit of fear in Edward.

“ What's a sword?”

“ If your willing to go so far on my behalf, I might as well make sure my protector is strong. Vulen, I am weak physically. I wasn't born with the martial or mana talent of my siblings, but I’m the most cunning. I’m the most knowledgeable, which is a different strength on its own.

Just hearing the word "strength" ignited the flame inside him.

“ How is knowledge strength? Most problems are resolved with fighting. Not books,” Vulen said.

“ The ability to read and write is powerful Vulen. Imagine if you were illiterate like some of the poor people in the city. Living their entire lives in a constant cycle of uncivilized violence and poverty. Not because they're weak physically, but because they're stupid. Knowledge can also come in the form of techniques or being a leader in a war. The people who are the strongest listen to the ones who are the smartest. Knowledge is power and I’ll help you realize it.”

Vulen digested those words. He’d realized that even though he suffered, he was still more privileged than others. He was blinded by his perpetual victimhood.

‘ I can't take anything I have for granted. Some people would kill to be where I am.’

“ You probably shouldn't cultivate mana in your current state, but you should go to the library and put your nose in some books. You can't be a sword if you are ignorant about affairs outside of your tribe. I have to go, but I’ll ask someone to bring you a shit ton of fries buddy,” Edward said with a large smile and an outstretched fist.

Vulen returned the hospitality with a fist of his own and the two parted ways.

The day passed and Vulen slept in since he didn't have to go to class. He awoke to the familiar sensation he’d always gotten from the warm sun and a bald, hulking figure standing over his bed.

“ What fucking healing ability do you have!”

0