Chapter 1: Oldtown
508 2 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The Dragons Realm Chapter One

Port of Oldtown

2nd First Moon, 7999

 Aegon Targaryen stood in silence upon the quay, the light pink streaks of the clear sky slowly giving way to the night, illuminating the Honeywine river as it flowed into the bay, enough light still visible to contrast the water of the river mixing with the dark waters farther off in the bay. It was a cool afternoon with a light breeze coming in from the bay, and though growing late, the port was still very busy.

Fishmongers packed up their stalls, occasionally pleading with a sailor to take their stock at half price while traders from a dozen lands loaded and unloaded ships, speaking in many tongues, most in the common tongue of Westeros but some in languages foreign to the young Targaryen. Looking at the ships in the harbor closest to him he made out the distinctive vessel of the Summer Islanders, a hulking Swan ship, its great white sails fluttering in the gentle breeze, its eagle figurehead slowly rocking up and down with the current of the bay.

 He heard a commotion behind him and turned to see a small group of sailors, obviously drunk stumbling along the bayfront.

Stormlanders He thought to himself, recognizing their accents before correcting himself. My people now.

It was a strange thought, for the past two years Aegon had been campaigning tirelessly and without reprieve against the various kingdoms of the continent of Westeros, one by one bringing them under the black and red banner of his house both by fire and fealty, six kingdoms, one king. Upon the arrival of his older sister and wife Visenya that conquest would end…for the time being.

 The sobering truth in Aegon's mind was that the coming transition from warrior and conqueror to king and ruler was one that he was not entirely ready to make. He had proven he could kill and intimidate the various inhabitants of Westeros, force them into submission by threats of dragonfire, and when that failed, in pitched battle, but to rule them, to keep the peace in thousands of villages, castles, holdfasts, and farms, to keep the peace between millions of people of vastly different cultures would be an entirely different task all together.

 Aegon was shaken from his thoughts by his sister-wife Rhaenys, who was standing beside him, her silver hair illuminated from the light of the tower in front of them.

‘’It's beautiful isn't it.’’ She said softly, gazing up at the Hightower, an enormous lighthouse and castle a distance offshore, positioned upon the isle of battle.

 The Hightower was the highest tower in the known world, its white marble extending some 700 feet into the sky, its large fire shining like a beacon through the darkening sky, proud for all to see. Despite its marble makeup, its base was made up of plain black stone blending into the dark water and night, which gave the white tower the appearance of floating up from the bay, unattached to land.

‘’It has its charms, but on the back of a dragon it sits as small as any structure.’’ Aegon said, he did not share his sister's wonder as he had seen it before when he had been much younger with his older sister and wife Visenya.

‘’Do you think it's true?’’ Rhaenys asked, her purple eyes still fixed upwards.

‘’What is?’’ Aegon asked.

‘’When we visited the Citadel one of the Maesters said one of the theories as to the tower's creation was it was built by the Valyrian Freehold thousands of years ago, the black stone on the bottom is similar….maybe our ancestors built this’’ Rhaeneys said with a smirk, a common look she took on when she found something interesting.

Aegon shook his head ‘’Maesters say a lot of things…it doesn't make it true.’’

Rhaeneys raised her eyebrows ‘’Still……’’

‘’Dragonstone was the westernmost outpost of the Freehold, that's what our Father always said and I'll trust his words over a Maester any day, no matter the chain he wears.’’ Aegon said cynically, as was his manner.

‘’He'd be proud of you, Aegon.’’ Rhaeneys said, her eyes returning to the tower. Their father Aerion was a quiet and humble man but never lacked for tales passed down of the Freehold of old, he had died only 3 years prior clutching at his heart at a feast, an activity he was fond of.

‘’If he had sent me and Visenya to tour east instead of west, perhaps we'd be in Pentos right now.’’ Aegon said, while he enjoyed tales of the old freehold, his interest had always lain west of Dragonstone, an ambition his father encouraged by funding him and his older sister Visenya on tours of a small number of Westeros cities, Oldtown and the Arbor among them. Furthermore to celebrate Aegon's first victory, the burning of a Volantene fleet in aid of Pentos and Myr, their father had presented him with a gift, a carved fifty foot long table in the shape of Westeros, which Aegon had used to plan his invasion of the continent after his father had died.

‘’I'm glad he didn't, it is a great achievement to be King of six of the seven kingdoms.’’Rhaeneys replied, the familiar smirk reappearing.

Aegon knew his sister well enough to to recognize when she was teasing him and gave out a small laugh ‘’You think we should have kept going….conquered Dorne?’’

Rhaenys shrugged ‘’We had the momentum, why stop.’’

‘’The Dragons are tired…..we've ridden them hard for two years….besides, we've overextended ourselves, we have enough trouble to deal with it as it is….I must consolidate my power before taking Dorne.’’ Aegon said.

  Both his dragon Balerion and Rhaenys’s Meraxes were the two largest of the Targaryen's three dragons but he had sensed them growing tired as of late, so he had set them loose to go west of Oldtown into the Sunset sea, to hunt and rest on the many islands there, he had no fear that they wouldn't return, they always did, though before doing so he made sure to make a dramatic entrance in front of the high septon, lord Hightower and all his army, some 15,000 men.

 His comments on internal trouble were also true, despite the burning of Harren the Black and his kin within Harrenhal, he had never officially secured the loyalty of the Iron Isles and chaos had erupted among the Ironborn warlords, with conflicting reports of both a powerful lord and drowned priest seeking to keep the Dragon Kings influence from spreading to their islands.

 Meanwhile, the Three Sisters, a small island chain with an unsavory reputation in the Bite, a body of water between the North and the Vale of Arryn, famed for its smugglers, had risen up in revolt. The Sisters as they were known had been fought over for generations between the North and the Vale, never being independent until an opportunity presented itself. During the early months of Aegon's conquest he had sent his sister Visenya, her Dragon Vhagar, along with his Uncle Daemon Velaryon, his master of ships with the fleet of Dragonstone to seize the large port city of Gulltown in the Vale. In the ensuing naval battle, their uncle was killed and many of their ships burnt before Visenya and her dragon burnt the Arryn fleet along with their Braavosi mercenary ships. The loss of House Arryns fleet however meant the Sisters could rebel with impunity, a fracturing Aegon could not allow, for fear the rest of the lords of Westeros getting ideas.

  In truth Aegon did not wish to be in Oldtown, pleasant as it was, he would have preferred to leave immediately for the Iron Islands following Oldtowns surrender, but he was to be coronated by the high septon, who had urged the Lord Hightower to surrender the city without bloodshed, in sight of many lords of Westeros. It had been 3 days since the Oldtown gates had opened to him and the Lord Hightower swore fealty to Aegon and his sister, mounted upon their dragons and surrendered the city, and yet he still waited on his sister Visenya to return from the Vale, with the young lord Arryn and his mother along with many other of the mountain lords, Visenya had sent a raven some time prior saying they had passed the ruins of Harrenhall but there had been no word since then.

 The days in Oldtown had largely been restless as he waited for his older sister-wife to return. He and Rhaenys had toured most of the city, spending a day at the Citadel where Aegon had requested to see the black candles of Valyria, something the maesters had balked at but Aegon was not a man to be refused. That first night their tour continued, climbing to the top of the Hightower with the Lord Manfred Hightower of Oldtown, who had prepared their chambers at its highest level. They had walked through many of the cobbled streets to the thieves market and the ragpipers wynd, visited many of the small isles and the lord Hightowers son Ser Lyonel, had taken them on a tour of all the seven septs of the city and their gardens, the Starry Sept the grandest among them and the site of Aegon's coming coronation.

 

 Rhaenys had payed a visit to the local motherhouse of Silent Sisters and made a sizable donation in Aegon's name, to which he had snorted and said that if he was ever caught giving that much coin to the faith then a skinchanger from the east must have taken his place, to which Rhaenys had only smiled and proceeded to give a second gift in his name, more to annoy him than from any sort of piety, Aegon and his sisters were not particularly firm adherents to either their Valyrian faith or the religion of the majority of the Kingdoms, the faith of the seven.

  ‘’It really is beautiful’’ Rhaenys said, somewhat wistfully, her eyes trained on the hightower and the bay beyond, in which ships were both leaving and approaching the several miles of Oldtowns ports, the pink streaks gone from the sky leaving the ships as only shadows in the night.

Aegon knew his sister well enough to catch her meaning and shook his head ‘’I won't have it said that Aegon Targaryen, upon landing in Westeros, stole the seat of one of Westeros’s most ancient houses and took it for his own…..no Rhaenys we will build our own capitol.’’

  Preparations on the new capitol were already underway, and it was these preparations that meant that Aegon's most trusted advisors, outside of his sisters, were not to be present at his coronation. Upon landing in Westeros on the blackwater rush from the bay, Aegon had his men hastily assemble a wooden fort upon the highest hill in the region, which came to be known as the Aegonfort. Orys Baratheon, Aegon's greatest friend, warrior, and rumored younger half brother, who had slain the Storm King Argilac in single combat had taken both the old Kings land and daughter for his own and sworn fealty to Aegon, during which Aegon had referred to Orys as ‘’his strong right hand’’ and put him in charge of making the new keep livable upon his return.

 In addition to this, Aegon sent his Velaryon cousins Aethen of Driftmark, the current master of ships and Corlys, sons of the late Daemon downriver on barges to transport the burnt swords from the Field of Fire and Harrenhall to the Aegonfort, in which he planned to make a throne out of them, a symbol of his victories over the huge armies of the Reach and Westerlands, and the fortress of Black Harren.

 

‘’It would take us a long time to build a place such as this’’ Rhaenys said gloomily, she had been a proponent of Aegon taking Oldtown as his seat. ‘’Even Dragonstone would be preferable to ruling from a wooden fort.’’ she continued.

Aegon sensed her unhappiness ‘’I cannot claim to be the King of Westeros and rule over thousands of miles of country if I rule from an island not apart of the land….and you are right what we build in our lifetime may not match this….but our descendents shall build a capitol worthy of our dynasty.

Rhaenys was silent at this.

‘’Besides’’ Aegon continued, hoping to lighten the mood ‘’If I were to make my seat here we would be expected to attend the High Septons sermons at the Starry Sept…it took the man 7 days of prayer to come to the conclusion that Lord Hightower should surrender the city to us, I shudder to think how much time we would spend in that sept.’’

That earned a laugh out of Rhaenys, she could never stay mad at him for long.

 Suddenly there was a change in the air, a sudden wind, accompanied by shouts of both wonder and fear by those still remaining in the streets, and many a drink was spilled at the harbor winesinks as the inhabitants of Oldtown looked into the night sky with wonder and terror.

Above the main gate of Oldtown, high in the air a dragon flew slowly over the city its wings creating gusts of air that could be felt from far away, its bronze scales shining in the moonlight, Aegon smiled when he saw the silver reflection of the dragon riders hair, judging by the Dragons bronze scales it could only be his sister and her dragon Vhagar, the smallest of the 3 Targaryen dragons but still a sight to behold. With Visenya arriving that also meant the host from the Vale had arrived for his coronation, the last host expected.

He shared a look with Rhaenys who took his hand, a smile on her face.

‘’And so it begins.’’ Aegon said quietly, watching the bronze dragon glide through the stars.

The Next Morning

Chambers of the Hightower

‘’Have you given any thought to my counsel given before I left for the Vale?’’ Visenya asked as she helped fix the black sable cloak upon Aegon's broad shoulders.

‘’I have, and I think it unnecessary…I have Balerion, and this.’’ Aegon said, patting his Valyrian steel hand-and-a half sword Blackfyre upon his waist, the ruby in the pommel catching rays of the morning sun through the open window.

‘’Then you remain a fool, even if a royal one…I had hoped you would have seen the value in the idea.’’ Visenya said sternly, fastening the cloak and stepping away.

It was true that Aegon loved his older sister and wife, but it was a different sort of love than Rhaenys. Visenya was a harsher, more noble kind of beauty, and while Rhaenys was playful and curious Visenya was stern and blunt of speech, though effective and intelligent in council, duty, and war. Aegon was one of the finest swords in the Kingdoms but his older sister was every bit his equal, the two training together since childhood, Aegon's Blackfyre against his older sister's Valyrian steel blade Dark Sister.

Aegon knew better than to chide his sister for her speech, he had long since grown used to it, instead sighing and walking to the open window, looking out upon the city of Oldtown.

‘’Our Dragons and swords were defense enough for our ancestors.’’ Aegon said.

‘’Our ancestors did not rule six Kingdoms.’’ Visenya said, joining him at the window.

Aegon was silent at that.

‘’It is not just for your benefit your grace, it would bind the realms closer to you, let them see their own countrymen in defense of their King, at his side in peace and war, at feasts and in the heat of battle, let it become a point of pride and honor that one of their own stands behind the King.’’ Visenya continued, it was clear she had thought the idea out well.

The idea in question was the potential formation of an elite guard Visenya called the ‘’Kingsguard.’’ She proposed that the formation be composed of seven warriors who would serve at the King's defense for life. She also insisted that each of the seven spots be reserved for a different culture of the realm, with the Vale, Riverlands, Westerlands, Reach, and Stormlands each having a representative. The further two spots would be filled with deserving warriors from either the Crownlands, the North, the Iron Islands, or Crackclaw point.

Aegon had to admit his sister made good points, but Aegon was not a man to whom trust came easily  and the thought of taking seven warriors into his service was one he was uneasy with.

‘’And if these warriors from each region must choose between their home and their King?’’ Aegon asked, resting his hands on the windowsill.

‘’We shall find trustworthy men, warriors of honor.’’ Visenya said.

‘’Easier said than done,’’ Aegon replied.

‘’These men are not as hard to find as you think….if you're looking for a man you trust to lead your guard I suggest our cousin Corlys, he is young yes but is a man of honor, brave and is one of your finest swords….apart from me of course.’’ Visenya continued with a small smile on her face, she was not a woman to whom humor came often but it did so occasionally.

Aegon grunted at that and Visenya saw that victory was close and went in for the kill.

‘’Tell me your grace, if you were to be attacked within the Starry Sept later today, what good would Balerion do you, he cannot protect you within in buildings or palaces, no doubt he would attempt to defend you but would likely burn the sept down, with all of us in it….you need guards that can be with you at all time.’’ Visenya continued.

‘’Seven Hells woman you are persistent…..’’ Aegon said he had heard that expression used when he visited Westeros as a young man and used it quite often.

‘’I take that to mean a yes?’’ Visenya asked, a small smile on her lips.

‘’If I were to say no, I would no doubt be in for a war of attrition with you…very well we shall announce it after the coronation’’ Aegon said.

‘’I'm glad you see the value in my counsel, your grace.’’ Visenya said.

Aegon snorted and was about to reply when the bells of the Starry Sept began to ring out.

‘’It is time’’ Visenya said, her hand upon his shoulder, and Aegon nodded, and together they made the long trek to the base of the Hightower, where they met with Rhaenys at the base, taking a small skiff to shore.

Balerion and Meraxes had returned from the Sunset Sea not long after Visenya had arrived, Aegon had no specific way of summoning them but they always seemed to know when they were needed.

Aegon had considered going to the sept on dragonback but there were few places to land within the city and he wanted the people of Oldtown to see their new King clearly, so he decided to go on horseback instead, taking a long route through the center of the cobbled streets to the Sept.

 On the shore, Aegon's honor guard was already formed. The guard was to be led by Lord Jon Mooton of Maidenpool, a man who had lost his brother fighting against Aegon early in the conquest but had become a trusted follower of the Dragonlord after leading the Targaryen ground forces at the Field of Fire. Edmyn Tully, the new Lord Paramount of the Riverlands was also present. The rest of the honor guard were from the regions most loyal to Aegon, Lord Crispian Celtigar was also mounted and his men constituted a fair amount of the guard, and a few Velaryon men-at-arms  who did not go with Aethon and Corlys were also present. There were many of the Riverlords and their retinues present as well, who saw Aegon as their liberator and were among his most fervent supporters. There were also Clawman champions of Crackclaw Point, looking rather uncouth and plain compared to the other knights but they had all but demanded to ride alongside Visenya, who they referred to as their ‘’Dragon Queen’’.

 Aegon mounted a magnificent white stallion, the Targaryen colors hanging around its body on a caparison. He wore a full suit of black boiled leather armor with the indented dragon insignia of his house in the center, which was lined with silver and ruby, he wore a plain cloak of fine black furs which was fastened by a heavy chain of silver with a ruby dragon broach in the middle, and had Blackfyre at his side in a sheath of black leather. As the guard slowly made their way down the cobbled street, the Dragonlord looked every bit a Dragon King. The three Dragons, the Black Balerion, Silver Meraxes and Bronze Vhagar all followed from the skies, their wings creating winds all throughout the city.

 As they passed the harbor, drunken sailors would poke their heads out of the small wine sinks and harborside taverns, many too drunk to even notice the dragons above them but still giving out drunken wordless cheers for the guard.

  As they turned the corner from the harbor into the main cobbled street that led to the sept they were met with one of the largest crowds Aegon had ever seen, each side of the street was packed to the brim with the citizens of Oldtown and the surrounding communities yelling a wordless cheer, though many looked uneasily up to the sky, where the Dragons circled and kept a close eye on their masters.

‘’They love us Aegon.’’ Rhaenys said happily, throwing one of her silver rings into a crowd of children who immediately began searching for it.

‘’They love your silver especially.’’ Aegon said with a snort as the large column continued its slow procession to the Sept, beckoned forward by the ringing bells and the cheers of the people.

‘’Your sister speaks the truth.’’ Lord Paramount Edmyn Tully said, riding alongside Aegon, his orange-red hair blowing in the breeze of Dragon wings. ‘’They have never seen anything like this….they shall remember it for all their days.’’

Aegon nodded ‘’Days I hope shall be peaceful.’’

Edmyn was silent for a moment then chuckled ‘’Seven Hells but, I've never seen anything like this either, to be riding through the city of Oldtown, dragons above, a procession of men hailing from Dragonstone to Seaguard…. A strange turn of events from just months ago when we were under the boot of House Hoare, but a welcome turn to be sure, though I fear ‘’Black’’ Harren found them rather unwelcome.’’

Aegon gave a small laugh at that, he had come to appreciate the Lord of Riverruns whit and way with words. Out of the corner of his eye he spotted a large contingent of Maesters from the citadel in the crowd, having come to get a glimpse of the Dragons and the new King.

The Lord of Riverrun face grew serious then ‘’Your Grace, my people have proved themselves at the Field of Fire, I hope you have come to appreciate their bravery.’’

Aegon nodded ‘’They represented their lands well.’’

 This was true, while later songs would speak of  the Targaryen victory against the forces of the Westerlands and the Reach at the Field of Fire as a victory won solely by the 3 Targaryens and their Dragons, the Riverlander forces played a significant role in the battle and acquitted themselves with discipline and honor under Jon Mooton.

‘’I ask that when you sail for the Iron Islands to put down the rebellions there, the men of the Riverlands be given the honor of making up your force, we have suffered much at the hand of the murderous Ironborn and wish for vengance.’’ Edmyn said.

Aegon paused a moment to consider it and then nodded ‘’It is granted, though I make it clear to you now this vengeance shall be limited to the field of battle, there will be no slaughter or rape of innocents, Ironborn or not when I take this crown they become my people.

Before Edmyn could respond, the grand walls of the Starry Sept came into view, its black marble walls and ornate glass windows shining in the sun, the large plaza in front of it was occupied by the men of house Hightower, at the forefront was Lord Manfred Hightower, who was an aged man of around sixty whos white hair was balding, though despite his age Aegon had come away with the few dinners they had shared with the impression that the man was capable and intelligent. Standing behind him were three of his sons, his eldest and heir Ser Addam Hightower, a thin black haired man with an equally thin mustache, Leyton who served as a septon, performing various duties in Oldtowns seven septs as well as the youngest Ser Garmon, a young man of 17 who took after his oldest brother in appearance. Lord Manfreds daughters and Grandchildren stood in the row behind him, with his most trusted household knights and lords of the surrounding villages bringing up the rear.

Past the plaza, on the top of the steps to the Starry Sept was the High Septon, who in going with tradition abandoned his earthly name when he took the title. The High Septon was a rather unassuming man, blonde of hair with a thick mustache, garbed in a rather plain robe with thin threads of golden trim and apart from his crown of crystal, he wore no other jewels. His guards were more impressive, they were called the Warriors sons, and they were certainly more fitting with the luxurious reputation of Oldtown than their septon. They wore armor of silver, though the tops of hair shirts were visible, with rainbow cloaks around their shoulders, their shields were centered with a rainbow sword as their insignia. Among the Warriors sons was Ser Lyonel Hightower, Lord Manfreds second born son, a heavyset man that had inherited the silver hair some Hightowers were known for, not too dissimilar from the Targaryens. Out of all the Hightowers, Lyonel was the one Aegon had gotten to know best over the past few days in Oldtown as he had escorted them on their tour of the seven septs and unlike many pious men Aegon had encountered was quick with a joke and a laugh.

The crowd closest to the septs entrance was mostly of nobility and they had the grace to stand in silence as Aegon dismounted, though many had their eyes trained at the dragons in the sky, the crowds farther down the street still continued their raucous cheers.

Rhaenys stood beside him and took his hand quietly ‘’Are you ready for this brother?’’

Aegon nodded slowly, his eyes fixed on the sept as he slowly walked toward it.

His sister was not merely talking about his coming coronation which was to take place inside the Sept but also his conversion. While many would balk at the thought of abandoning the faith of their ancestors, Aegon and his sisters were not particularly devout, with Aegon being of the mindset that the accomplishments of him and his house had more to do with the aptitude of its members as opposed to divine will.

As Aegon made his way to the High Septon, the man bowed his head in respect, a surprise to some of his guards, many of whom looked at Aegon and his sister-wives with thinly veiled disgust.

‘’The faith welcomes you, Aegon Targaryen, both to Oldtown and to the brotherhood of our faith.’’ The man said.

Aegon nodded, and the septon held out his hand in a gesture to the entrance to the sept and together he and Aegon walked inside, the warriors sons, his sisters, and select members of his honor guard, with various other lords, the young lord Arryn and his mother among them. Bringing up the rear, while many others crowded at the entrance.

The High Septons seven day contemplation on whether to surrender the city made all the sense in the world to Aegon as he knelt on the cold marble floor of the sept, the high septon rattling off about each of the seven gods, anointing Aegon with each of the respective 7 oils, before finally at long last proclaiming Aegon Targaryen, Ser Aegon Targaryen, giving him the title of knight to much applause, and welcoming the new King into the faith of the seven.

The second part of the coronation went much quicker, with the high septon naming Aegon Targaryen the first King of the Andals, the Rhoynar, and the First men, and lord and protector of the Seven Kingdoms. The high septon had been told in advance on what to say, and many an eye was raised when Aegon was named King of the Rhoynar and the seven Kingdoms, as Dorne had not yet been conquered, but it was clear to all involved that Aegon saw the independence of Dorne as a state that would not last much longer.

Finally, the High Septon took Aegon's crown,  a heavy band of forged Valyrian steel, forged with rubies and placed upon the conqueror's head. This was a notion that Aegon himself found quite ridiculous, in truth he had been coronated once before soon after landing in Westeros, albeit with a much smaller crowd, and he had worn the crown ever since, but Visenya had eventually talked him into the practicality of a second coronation in the greatest city in the Seven Kingdoms.

King Aegon Targaryen, First of his Name, rose from the cold marble floor to the applause of his new people, with the cheering going on for quite some time. As he stood in the sept, overlooking the sept, Rhaenys took his hand.

‘’Long live the King’’ she smiled.

Some Time Later

Plaza outside the Starry Sept

The Hightower, though a luxurious dwelling and palace was as one might expect totally incapable of hosting the amount of lords, knights, and courtiers that had come from all over the realm for Aegon's coronation, so the decision was made for the Coronation feast to be helf outside the sept in the great plaza, with over 100 large wooden tables being set up for the event. The King's table was a magnificent one of oak with gold and silver inlay while the closer one got to the steps, the tables were simple wooden trestle tables.

It was an uneven gathering of lords to say the least. The majority of those present were lords of the Reach, who had the shortest journey to make as well as the Riverlords, who constituted the majority of Aegon's forces upon arriving in Oldtown. The stormlords were almost completely absent, as Aegon trusted his half brother Orys to administer oaths of fealty to the King in own name. The Westerlanders were notably absent, with Loren Lannister claiming to have business to attend to, and most of the lords having already sworn fealty after the field of fire. The Northerners too were in short supply, Aegon had tasked Torrhen Stark, his new Warden of the North, to make preparations to put down the rebellion in the Sisters, whether personally or by delegation. He entrusted Torrhen Stark with the duty of collecting oaths of fealty in his place as well, having a sense that the Northerner was an honorable man.  Aegon knew little of the northerners but he sensed they would be uncomfortable in Oldtown, its wealth and exuberance a ‘’stark’’ contrast to their more simple and sturdy realm. That was not to say none were present as a few of the younger, more adventurous lordlings had made the long journey south, eager to see the world. There were a good deal of Clawmen and other crownlanders present as well.

 There were no Ironborn present at the coronation, in truth Aegon  knew little of the exact situation there except that there was both a priest and a noble both vying for power in the islands no doubt causing death and suffering, which Aegon immediately planned to attend following his coronation.

There were 3 Lord Paramounts present at the feast, Harlan Tyrell of the Reach, Edmyn Tully of the Riverlands and the young Ronnel Arryn, a young fair haired boy of eight who had made the trip with his mother and regent Sharra Arryn with a rather small host, escorted by Viseny

 Harlan Tyrells retinue was rather paltry, even compared to the young lord of the Vale, who had only brought a small amount of lords and knights. He had only just been recently named the Lord of Highgarden and had not had time to consolidate his position, as such most of his retinue were hedge knights of low renown or nobles from minor families, in contrast to the great retinues many of the Reach lords brought.

 The first part of the feast took two hours, with Aegon receiving oaths of fealty from the lords of the Reach and a small amount of Vale lords. When it came time for Ronnels oath, the young boy had recited the words and quickly asked Visenya when he might ride Vhagar again, to which the Queen had smiled and promised him another ride around the Eyrie on her next trip to the Vale, referencing the fact he had received a ride when he had given up his crown.

  The day was a warm one, and the feast was rich and plentiful, yet despite the lavishness of the events there were some tense moments. At one of the farther benches a young Reach lordling from a small yet proud family had stood up and loudly announced that he found the fact that he was seated next to the ‘’wild and uncivilized’’ Clawmen insulting to a man of his position, causing a silence to fall over the feast.

 Visenya, ever protective of the clawmen, stood up and asked the young lordling if he would prefer accommodations with her Dragon Vhagar, to which the young man had meekly sat down. There were decidedly less seating complaints after that.

 Many other tense moments had occurred, specifically in the context of the Reach lords of noble blood, who were upset that Aegon had granted the Lord Paramountship of the Reach And Highgarden to what was commonly termed ‘’an umpjumped steward’’

 One such example had come when the young Lord Perwyn Redwyne, lord of the Arbor and owner of one of the largest fleets in Westeros had come to pledge fealty to the new King.

‘’I must congratulate you on your ascension, your grace, I remember when you visited the Arbor some years ago, I was just a boy then.’’ The man had said to which Aegon had nodded and thanked him, offering condolences for the death of his father, who had hosted him and Visenya

‘’I hear you mean to sail to the Iron Islands your grace,and as the owner of one of the largest fleet in the realm, I should be glad to send my ships to transport your army to the Isles, the Ironborn bastards would never dare to attack such strength at sea.’’ Perwyn had continued.

‘’I thank you for your pledge, Lord Redwyne.’’ Aegon had said guardedly, he had been King a short time but he knew that such promises were seldom made out of the goodness of one's heart, a suspicion he was correct in.

‘’Though, I fear I will not be able to assist you fully in my current role, I feel you have received unwise counsel your grace, specifically as it pertains to Harlan Tyrell, the man was responsible for cleaning the shit in Highgarden, the upkeep of the sewers and to make him the Protector of the Reach is an insult to half a dozen noble families such as my own, who have ruled in our land longer than that line of shit-shovelers.’’

Aegon was silent at that, Visenya overhearing and giving Aegon a look, the young lord was oblivious however and continued to prattle on.

‘’Therefore I would to pledge my fleet to your war your grace, but I feel I can do little until this matter is resolved.’’ He continued on before stopping and waiting for a response.

Aegon was silent for a good while, Perwyn standing rather uncomfortably waiting for a response.

When he did respond it was in a quiet tone as to not disturb the feasting around him.

‘’You shall be providing those ships Lord Redwyne, as is your obligation, regardless of your current station, and I received no unwise counsel my lord, the decision to name Lord Tyrell as protector of the Reach was mine alone….your obligations as a vassal are not negotiable like a mule at market…I shall be expecting your ships at Seaguard within the fortnight my lord, but you will not be Protector of the Reach.

Perwyn was silent at that, and the King let him stew a little before continuing.

‘’Once your obligations are complete I shall see you are rewarded in a more appropriate manner.’’ The King said.

‘’Your Grace?’’ Perwyn asked, rather sullenly.

‘’I shall take on your eldest boy Ryan I believe he is called as a page, and if he proves able later as a Squire, have him sent to the Aegonfort, my new capitol, I shall take him on upon my return from the islands, in addition send the boys twin sister, my sister Rhaenys could use a handmaiden at court.’’ Aegon said coolly.

Perwyn Redwyne looked pleased at that ‘’You do my house an honor lord, my son shall no doubt be thrilled to squire for the King.’’ The young lord said, unaware of the tactical move Aegon had just made.

As Lord Redwyne walked off, Visenya shook her head.

‘’Damned fool’’ She said

‘’A trend among these Reach lords I am learning.’’ Aegon said, taking a sip of wine.

Things had gone more smoothly after this, with the King calling both Harlan Tyrell and Edmyn Tully to his table.

‘’Do you both have men you can trust?’’ Aegon had asked them to which both had replied yes.

Aegon had nodded and then summoned them both to his new capital in King's Landing, to serve on what he called the small council, Harlan as the Master of Coin and Edmyn Tully as master of laws. Aegon was somewhat hesitant to recall Harlan Tyrell away from his realm when he was clearly not completely consolidated but Harlan had assured him his Castellan, Lord Wilbert Osgrey, one of his few allies in the Reach and a powerful lord was a just and diligent man more than capable of dealing with any problems that may arise.

 As the feast began to wind down, Aegon stood in front of the lords and announced his intention of the formation of a Kingsguard, which would have at least one representative from each of the major Kingdoms. He bid the lords to return to their Kingdoms with this news and for interested unmarried knights to present themselves at the Aegonfort in Kings Landing for consideration after he returned from the Isles.

 Following this other minor honors were handed out to those that had served Aegon well in the conquest. Edmyn Tully's eldest daughter Minisa was to be taken as a handmaiden to serve Rhaenys in court as recognition for the lord of River Runs loyalty. Visenya rewarded the clawmen by taking a girl of house Boggs as a handmaiden, though Visenya was not as pleased with the idea as Rhaenys. Finally, Harlan's son, Theo Tyrell, already a squire to his father, was taken in by Aegon as his second and primary squire. Lord Mooton was offered such an honor but preferred his children to stay in Maidenpool. In addition to this, Edmyns brother Brynden Tully, a capable man was offered command of the not yet formed city watch in the new capitol, a post which he accepted.

The feast went on long past sunset, the same pink streaks in the dark sky as the night before, with one of the Dragons in the bay, flying like a dark shadow in the night.

As Aegon sat there, looking out to the bay he let himself enjoy the peace for in the morning, preparations for the coming expedition to the Iron Islands would begin.

6