Chapter 5: The Bells of Norvos (Aegon, Visenya) (Part 1)
34 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

2nd Moon, 8000

Longhall of the Aegonfort

The halls of the Aegonfort were alive with music and laughter, though not all were enjoying the festivities, King Aegon among them. His mind was far away from the present feast, dwelling instead on the multiple problems the realms faced.

 It had been nearly three months since he received word from White Harbor of the flight of Lord Willem and his Kingsguard son Ser Warrick Manderly’s desertion, along with the massacre of the 50 men he sent to take Willem into custody.

 Aegon had been resolved to ride on Balerion to White Harbor and bring those involved to justice, but Rhaenys had warned him a gentle touch was needed, and any punishment to be placed upon the Manderlys should come from his Warden of the North, Torrhen Stark.

Torhren Starks punishment had been delivered swiftly. Damon Manderly and his teenage son Garth had been away on Lord Willem Manderlys orders, so once Lord Stark heard of the news, it was a simple enough matter to have Damon seized away from his court. Damon was then brought to Winterfell to stand trial where it quickly became clear he was not aware of his fathers plan, though his family would still be punished.

 Damon Manderly was stripped of the title of Protector of White Harbors surrounding lands, and while still retaining the influence of a High Lord and the City of White Harbor itself, he lost the vassalship of Houses Wells, Slate and Holt, with Lord Warrick Wells gaining the title. This was an expensive punishment for House Manderly as they would lose overlordship of over 3000 fighting men, the castles of Fordswatch, White Creek Castle and Fordswatch, as well as the villages of Chalkchilds Seat, Whitford Town, and Coldhouse.

 

In addition to these significant losses, Lord Damon Manderly would send his son Garth to Winterfell, to be fostered by Torrhen Stark, though all involved knew he would serve as a hostage to ensure the Manderlys good behavior.

 With the matters settled in White Harbor itself, it would fall to the King to decide how to proceed with Willem and Warrick Manderly.

Rhaenys had suggested appointing another Kingsguard, but Aegon had refused stating ‘’A Kingsguard serves for life and only death may free them of their vow.’’ Ser Warricks place in the Kingsguard would remain vacant until he met his end.

In that regard, Aegon ordered Lord Alyn Chyttering to make preparations to have Ser Warrick Manderly killed in Volantis, where the most recent reports placed him and his father. Aegon was not a man that would normally resort to murder, but he felt it was justified to hold the rogue Kingsguard accountable for his broken oath. One he was dealt with, Aegon would make plans for his father.

Aegon had not had long to dwell on this issue as other matters plagued the Kingdoms. A pox, originating in Dorne had quickly spread through the Reach and Stormlands and had been spread by ship to the port city of Duskendale, thus far Kings Landing had been spared of the disease but there had been an influx of refugees straining the cities already inadequate infrastructure as well as the Gold Cloaks, who struggled to make sure they were not letting those with the pox inside the city.

 A final matter which threatened the stability of the Kingdoms was the outbreak of violence in the Iron Islands. Sigrin Harlaw, a young powerful lord who had been present at the Dragons Moot the prior year, had attacked the neighboring Orkmont clan to capture the eastern half of their island.

 The young lord had gotten himself killed in the conflict, though his brother Romny continued the fight, with the Harlaws expected to win the conflict despite Sigrins untimely death. To further this instability, old Victarion Botley of Lordsport, one of the traditional lords that had been present at the Dragons moot had also been killed while raiding the Free Folk, leaving a power vacuum which ended with Hilmar Drumm marching into the castle and declaring himself the new lord.

 Aegon had been concerned that this violence could spread to the other clans, it was confined for now but with so many Ironborn lords dying in the last two years, conflict could erupt at any moment as new rulers were not well established.

 There was little Aegon could do in terms of Lordsport as that conflict was over, but he had a raven sent to Romny Harlaw, Sigrins brother with a command to cease the violence.

Romny Harlaw had refused, citing the need to avenge his brother. Aegon had not taken this disrespect lightly, but Edmyn Tully had convinced him that perhaps limited violence in the islands was a good thing, it would weaken them and prevent them from joining together to plot any violence against the more civilized Kingdoms.

Aegon had seen the wisdom in his words and agreed, but he would not let Clan Harlaws blatant disrespect for the throne go unpunished. He made arrangements that when  Vickon Greyjoy returned from his raid in the Shivering Sea, the Lord Paramount of the Isles would be given a claim on Harlaws land to do with he saw fit, though in truth he was annoyed with Vickon as well, who was not even present in his realm during this tenseous time.

Aegon was shaken from his brooding by the sound of clapping and cheers.

‘’Wonderful.’’ Exclaimed Rhaenys, standing up from her seat clapping, a smile on her face.

The Lysene performers bowed, they had arrived the week prior and had spent every night since regaling the court at dinner with songs and plays, though this was their final performance as they were leaving the following morning.

‘’I won't let you return to Lys empty handed..Harlan, make sure they are rewarded, generously….you are welcome here anytime.’’ Rhaenys said, and Harlan nodded with a slight grimace, construction on a new keep on a neighboring hill had begun, which had taken most of the crown's treasury with its ordering, Rhaenys free spending would not exactly help with rebuilding it.

As the guests sat down and dinner continued Rhaenys turned to Aegon.

‘’Werent they wonderful Aegon….I was thinking we should offer to take them on full time, their poems would lighten up this smokey hall, and their songs could entertain the little dragon.’’ Rhaenys said excitedly.

Aegon had not known what to expect when his sister was informed Visenya was pregnant, he had assumed there would be some jealousy, but if Rhaenys harbored any ill-feelings she hid them well, spending her days preparing chambers for the coming Targaryen and doing her best to make the rough timber keep more livable, since the construction of the new keep on a neighboring hill was expected to take well over 10 years due to its planned size.  Visenya had left for her tour months ago along with the Kingsguard Ser Harold Langward and Ser Gregor Goode, with their first destination being the Free City of Braavos, where Sealord Roro would host her and her retinue in celebration for the establishment of the Braavosi outpost in King's Landing, as well as celebrate the Braavosi victory over Pentos.

Following this Visenya planned to travel upriver by barge to the Free City of Norvos, tour the surrounding hills before returning to the city and remaining until the babe was born.

Rhaenys had not just been busy anticipating the arrival of the child of Aegon and Visenya, but also prepared for the birth of a baby to her Half Brother Orys and his wife Argella Durrandon, daughter of the Storm King Argilac. However tragedy had struck with the little girl being born still born, Rhaenys unused commissioned wooden stag toys adding to the terrible sadness that hung over the keep in the coming days.

Orys had handled it well, devoting himself to his work as Hand of the King, but Aegon knew Orys better than anyone and saw how deeply it had wounded him.

Aegon's mind had wandered once again and Rhaenys prodded.

‘’Did you hear what I said Aegon.’’ She asked, a smile still on her face.

Aegon nodded his head ‘’I would of course love them here but I would not wish to deprive the rest of the world of their…talents.’’ The King was not a man who enjoyed poetry or ballads of courtly love.

‘’Brother…you truly are as crabby as a Celtigar….it would do this place some good to add some cheer, Ryam…what did you think of the performers.’’ Rhaenys asked Ryam Redwyne, who was standing at attention to serve the royal family, the boy had since been made a squire.

Ryam looked at his feet ‘’I…I dont know your grace…I liked when the Knight defended his family from the assassin I guess.’’ The poor boy was exceedingly shy, though he had shown to be very loyal to his family, protecting his twin sister Rylene, who was also in the capital as Rhaenys’s handmaiden from any sort of trouble.

Rhaenys studied Aegon's face for any chance, to which there was none.

She sighed ‘’Perhaps I should take a tour of the free cities as well, you clearly have no appreciation for the finer arts…I should very much like to see Braavos and Lys.’’

‘’Dont.’’ Aegon said, the words coming out more harsh than he intended them too.

‘’I need you here, Rhaenys.’’ Aegon clarified, more gentle this time.

In truth Visenya's absence had affected the King greatly, he knew his sister was more than capable of taking care of herself, but the thought of his firstborn child being born in a foreign city far away from him was not a pleasant thought. In addition her council was greatly missed, he loved his sister Rhaenys, who despite her aloof personality was competent in governance, but she did not have her older sisters stern taciturn mind, which Aegon found himself in need of with the pox and the outbreak of violence in the isles.

Rhaenys took his hand ‘’It was a jest, I'm not going anywhere.’’

Aegon nodded, somewhat embarrassed by his sudden outburst and took a drink of wine, for the rest of the night doing his best to forget the troubles of the realm.

1