Chapter 7: King Aegons First Royal Progress (Part 3)
23 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Two Hours Later

Keep of Karlspost

There had been fewer petitioners in Eastmelt than in Dyre Den, likely due to the smaller population, and most of the disputes centered around timber, with one villager claiming that some trees on his land had been stolen by another.

Most of the matters had been settled by now, and there was just one more petition to hear.

‘’You may approach the King.’’ Ser Corlys Velaryon nodded to the last man, who had a long black beard.

‘’Your Grace’’ The man said bowing his head ‘’I own a small holding a few miles from here, along the weeping river, the land is rich with timber and it's been in my family for generations.’’ The man began.

Aegon leaned back, he had gotten used to the rather long winded explanations of the small folks troubles.

‘’The brigands in these lands normally stay clear, as I have two farm hands I hired to keep intruders out and patrol my lands, but their numbers have increased and so has their boldness. A fortnight ago they came from the forests in the night, like devils….slew both of the men I had hired and took my land for their own…I barely escaped their wrath with my life.’’ The man said.

Aegon turned to Artos Moss.

‘’I had heard of this incident your grace, but the brigands are numerous and well armed….and I am loath to raise my men for such an expedition and leave my keep ill-defended…I have hosted the man here however…it is the least I can do.’’ Artos explained.

Aegon nodded and turned back to Galbart, the petitioner.

‘’How many men took your land?’’ The King asked.

‘’Two dozen your grace….a few of them had shields and helmets, most had clubs and spears’’  The man answered.

Aegon was quiet for a moment before turning to Lord Commander Corlys Velaryon.

‘’Cousin, step forward.’’ He commanded his Kingsguard.

‘’Your Grace?’’ Ser Corlys said, approaching the throne with a bow, his white cloak dragging over the timber floor.

‘’Take 20 knights of your choosing and drive out these outlaws so that this man may return to his home.’’ Aegon commanded.

‘’At once your grace.’’ Corlys nodded.

Aegon then turned to his squire Theo Tyrell ‘’Theo…you shall accompany my cousin and squire for him…it is time you witness combat firsthand.’’

Theo Tyrell bowed his head ‘’I shall represent my house well your Grace.’’

 

Three Hours Later

Galbarts Lands, Banks of the Weeping River

Corlys Velaryon knelt on the snowy hill, his white hair, armor and cloak seemingly making him a part of the hill itself.

Galbart spoke true The Lord Commander of the Kingsguard thought, the holdfast had around two dozen men walking around, many of them in front of a fire, where a deer was being roasted.

He quietly made his way behind the hill where hsi twenty knights were waiting, mounted.

‘’They've fortified the holdfast with a wall of wooden spikes, our horses will do us no good, tie them to the trees and leave a man with them…we attack on foot.’’ Corlys said, and his knights nodded, dismounting.

‘’Shield.’’ Corlys commanded and Theo Tyrell obliged, handing the Lord commander his large shield, painted pure white, with the seahorse sigil of his house in the middle.

He took the Tyrell boys shoulder ‘’Go and grab a sword Theo, you will be at my side….you know how to use live steel?’’

Theo nodded ‘’I know how.’’ he replied quietly to which the Lord Commander nodded his approval.

He drew his sword and nodded to the dismounted knights behind him ‘’With me….we shall give them a chance to surrender…if they do not we attack on my command.’’

The knights slowly approached the fortified holdfast, their heavy plate boots crunching through the snow.

They were spotted a while off, and the bandits within quickly got to the perimeter, armed with a collection of pikes, cudgels, spears and daggers, with the occasional rusty helmet or dented shield.

‘’What d’ ye want!’’ One of them, presumably their leader, called out.

‘’I want you to lay down your weapons….I command this in the name of King Aegon Targaryen, first of his name….lay down your weapons…and I can promise you fair trial.’’ Corlys called out, having to shout due to the high winds.

‘’Don't think we will…..call it a trial all you like….none of us’d come out of that with our heads…turn back and save yourself a bloodletting…we've fortified this holdfast.’’ The man said, drawing his sword.

‘’Wooden spikes won't save you….’’ Corlys yelled back but there was no response.

‘’So be it…’’ Corlys said quietly, drawing his own sword to which his men did the same.

The Knights charged the ramshackle fortifications of the bandits, with Corlys leading the charge himself.

One of the brigands, armed with a makeshift wooden pike thrust at the Lord Commander of the Kingsguard as he leapt over the wooden spikes, but Corlys easily guided the pike away and opened the man's neck with a slash, spilling bright red blood into the snow.

His next opponent was dressed in heavy furs with a block hood, carrying a  short spear and a wooden shield. He proved to be more of a challenge than the last man.

Corlys launched a trio of strikes, all three being blocked by the bandit before the hooded man thrust his spear forward, forcing the Lord Commander to parry it, the man was surprisingly strong for a bandit.

The bandit launched two more strikes, which Corlys blocked with sword and shield before launching his own counterattack, slashing the man's arm and forcing him to drop his spear, Corlys stepped forward to deliver a killing blow but the man managed to flee, Corlys let him run…there was no honor in chasing down a fleeing man.

His knights were making short work of the bandits, though he saw one, a knight from Dragonstone take a dagger to the back of his neck.

Suddenly he realized he had lost track of the Kings squire Theo Tyrell in the fighting, he turned to his right and saw the heir to Highgarden engaged in a duel with a bandit with a pox-marred face and an iron sword, dressed in a leather jerkin. The bandit launched a clumsy strike at the 15 year old Theo, to which the squire managed to sidestep. While the bandit was snarling and cursing, the young Tyrell was silent, eyes furrowed in concentration.

Corlys, out of the main melee at this point stood at the ready, he had no intentions of letting the heir to the Reach be killed by a stinking bandit, but the boy claimed to be trained, now was his time to prove it.

The bandit let out another crushing strike, and Theo caught it upon his shield.

Theo hesitated instead of immediately counterattacking, allowing the bandit to launch a surprisingly fast attack, Theo caught it on his blade, but he got the angle of the block wrong and his blade clattered out of his hand.

Corlys decided enough was enough and was about to intervene when Theo, wielding his shield with both hands, caught the bandit on the shoulder, pushing him backwards and giving him time enough to retrieve his sword from the ground.

Theo didn't hesitate this time, charging forward and hacking the bandit just below the neck with the full length of his sword, sending blood spewing everywhere, the bandit fell on his back, gurgling blood, his eyes wide.

‘’Good…now finish him….bandit or not he need not suffer.’’ Corlys said.

Theo nodded and walked forward, raising his sword and bringing it into the bandits belly, ending the man's cries.

Corlys then turned his attention back to the main melee, which was mostly done by now, the sounds of dying men in the wind.

The leader of the bandits stood surrounded, hacking widely around him as a circle of knights advanced.

‘’Step back….he's mine.’’ Corlys commanded his knights, he would give the man a clean death.

‘’You wish to dance…you silver haired freak….fine then…i'll take at least one of ye to my grave.’’ The bandit said.

‘’You will try.’’ Corlys said simply, facing the man, his knights expanding the circle around them.

The bandit charged him, a wordless cry on his lips and hacked his sword downwards, Corlys calmly blocked the strike, using his feet to push his blade to the side after his steel met the bandits, causing the man to stumble to his feet, Corlys let the bandit get up and the dance continued.

The brigand launched an attack at the Kingsguards chest, but Corlys easily sidestepped it and launched a counterattack of his own, which the bandit caught on his sword before launching another strike, which Corlys turned away. The ringing of sword on sword could be heard as Corlys blocked yet another strike, content to let the bandit tire himself out.

Corlys, sensing the man was tiring launched another slash at his face, the bandit tried to step backwards but was too slow and the Kingsguards sword found his cheek, creating a long red gash.

‘’Bastard….’’ The man growled.

Those were the man's final words as Corlys did not waste time delivering the final blow, feinting a slash at the man's neck before turning it into a brutal thrust at the man's face at the last moment, the sword going through one of his eyes, killing him instantly.

The Knights broke out into a cheer as the bandit leader fell into the snow.

Corlys stepped back, the fatigue, which had not been present during the fight due to his adrenaline beginning to set in. He looked around, losses had been light in the assault, only one knight had been slain, the man from Dragonstone that had been stabbed in the back of the neck, but five more had been wounded, including one that would likely lose an eye.

He turned to Theo Tyrell, who was looking at the bandit he had killed.

‘’Theo, fetch my rag from my horse.’’ He commanded and the boy nodded quietly and returned soon after.

Corlys took the rag, dampened it with snow and ran it down his blade, wiping the blood and gore from it.

‘’You fought well….my cousin mentioned you were meant to observe combat for the first time…and you probably got a better taste of it then you expected, you're blooded now.’’ Corlys said.

‘’I let him disarm me….he was just a bandit.’’ Theo said quietly, hints of embarrassment in his tone.

‘’Aye…he did disarm you, but he was bigger, stronger and tougher than you….you are a good sword for your age…but remember, you haven't even seen sixteen years yet…you haven't grown into your body yet…you will….today you got a taste of what it is you've been training for….you've learned.’’ Corlys said.

‘’I won't be disarmed again.’’ Theo said adamantly.

‘’Good….now kneel.’’ Corlys said, putting the bloody rag away.

‘’Kneel?’’ Theo Tyrell asked, his eyes widening.

‘’Aye….Im making you a knight….you fought bravely.’’ Corlys said, gesturing again for the heir to Highgarden to kneel.

Theo Tyrell did as he was bid, and Corlys began the ceremony, in the courtyard, among the bodies of the dead.

‘’Theo Tyrell. do you swear before the eyes of gods and men to defend those who cannot defend themselves, to protect all women and children, to obey your captains, your liege lord, and your king, to fight bravely when needed and do such other tasks as are laid upon you, however hard or humble or dangerous they may be?’’ Corlys asked, his sword on the Tyrell boy's shoulder.

‘’I do…I swear it.’’ Theo Tyrell said quietly.

‘’Then rise Ser Theo of the House Tyrell.’’ Corlys commanded and Theo did, to the cheers of the knights around them.

They rested that night nearby, and returned to Karlspost the next morning, welcomed as heroes by the garrison for their heroic deeds, and Galbart was especially pleased, as he was free to return home.

Aegon was slightly perturbed that his squire had been put in such a dangerous position since if anything were to happen to him, House Tyrell and the Reach in general could be thrown into chaos, but after further conversations with his cousin, he agreed it was probably for the best that the young lord had a taste of combat before he returned to Highgarden upon his sixteenth nameday.

The Kings retinue stayed at Eastmelt for another week before heading to their next destination, the Flint Cliffs, which took them nearly two weeks of travel through the North's interior to reach. It had been a rather uneventful visit, though Rhaenys had enjoyed taking Meraxes out to sea, and the flint cliffs, which stood high above the water, had been an impressive sight.

Following a two week stay at the Flint Cliffs, hosted by the minor house Wolfe, Aegon and his retinue had taken a ship on a short voyage to Seaguard, before riding through the Riverlands back to King's Landing. The Kings first royal progress had taken five months from start to finish, and had largely been a success, especially in the North where the Kings presence helped mend the uneasiness that had spread over the region after the Manderlys defiance.

0