Chapter 10: The Choice (Part 2)
15 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

One Month Later

Halls of the Aegonfort

‘’The boy is strong.’’ Aegon said, standing over the crib, his hand being grabbed by the babes strong grip.

‘’Like his lord Father.’’ Visenya said, putting a hand on the King's shoulder.

Aegon looked into the crib at his son, the boy was a big baby with the light purple eyes of the Targaryens and a healthy head of silver hair.

‘’The bloodline is secure.’’ Visenya said and Aegon nodded, the boy was not much younger than Nyel, meaning in time the two would be married to preserve their High Valyrian heritage.

Aegon stroked the boys hair ‘’Vaemond is a strong name….a Kingly name…you chose well.’’

Visenya nodded ‘’He will always be your first born son Aegon….remember that.’’

‘’I would be hard pressed to forget.’’ The King said, giving his son one last look before turning to leave.

‘’Aegon….there is something I have to speak with you about….something that must not leave this room.’’ Visenya said, sounding almost nervous, a rarity for his sister which was enough to make Aegon stop immediately.

‘’It is about Vhagar’’ Visenya said after determining that no one, not even any Kinsgguard were in earshot.

‘’Your Dragon is ill?’’ Aegon asked with a  frown.

‘’In part….in truth I blame myself….I have been busy at court and have not flown him in quite some time but…Vhagar has always been prone to laziness….it is worse now, he only sleeps and eats…he…he cannot fly Aegon….I tried a fortnight ago but he could not be controlled and refused….he almost attacked me when I urged him to the sky.’’ Visenya said quietly.

‘’What?’’ Aegon said, stunned.

‘’I had a Maester examine him, he has grown too fat to fly, and the Maester fears this cannot be undone……it is almost as if we have lost him to death, Aegon…gods be good I will never fly again…..my negligence has weakened our house…if the wrong ears hear of this….of our weakened position.’’ Visenya said, and with shock the King realized tears were streaming down her face, he had never seen his sister cry before.

Aegon took his sister into his arms ‘’You are the blood of the Dragon…our son and daughter are as well….. regardless of Vhagars condition this will never change….you are the mother of little Dragons Visenya, the future of our dynasty…..never forget that…..you could never weaken our house.’’

‘’What good is a queen without a Dragon…..Rhaenys should become queen, I have lost that right.’’ Visenya said, wiping her tears away and pulling away.

Aegon was silent for a moment before shaking his head ‘’You are the Queen I choose….now and always.’’

‘’But Rhaenys.’’ Visenya began.

‘’Is not you…’’ Aegon said suddenly, the words coming to his mouth before he could think them.

Visenya looked at him in shock.

Aegon nodded slowly, realizing that his choice has been made ‘’I choose you Visenya.’’ He was shocked to hear himself put the thoughts into words but in truth he had been thinking of this moment for months while on campaign, and even when with Rhaenys he found himself thinking of Visenya.

Rhaenys had been his favored sister as a young man, attractive and adventurous, but ever since he took his crown he found himself fraying at both ends, feeling the unspoken tension that Aegon the King needed Visenya more than Aegon of Dragonstone loved Rhaenys.

‘’What will you tell Rhaenys?’’ Visenya asked.

‘’Nothing….I will not set her aside…I will not shame her Visenya, and in time she may bear me children….but I swear this….our son shall inherit the throne….Vaemond and Nyel shall rule what we have created…..I choose you….and them.’’ Aegon said, the words pouring out faster than he could think of them.

Visenya nodded slowly.

‘’Aegon…..I will never ride again…..I will have no Dragon to give our children.’’ Visenya said.

The King was silent for a moment before a small grin broke out onto his face ‘’Well….I can think of one Dragon you can ride.’’

Visenya stood in shocked silence for a moment before suddenly slapping Aegon across the face, he recoiled but before he could respond Visenya suddenly broke out into laughter, the first time he had heard his sister laugh like that since they were children, Aegon joined in the laughter as well before the two passionately embraced.

Visenya would announce soon after to the King and all his court that she was pregnant with their third child, thus ensuring the House Targaryens bloodline was secure.

0