Chapter 13: Beneath the Dragonmont (Aegon, Nyel) (Part 1)
22 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Fifth Moon, 8012

Courtyard of Driftmark

The burning embers of the pyre slowly made their way into the starry night sky as a warm sea wind from the gullet embraced the courtyard.

Aegon stood beside his cousin Corlys Velaryon as they watched Aethen Velaryons body slowly burn.

Aegon's Velaryon cousin, who had served as master of ships for over a decade had died of natural causes the week prior.

The King placed a hand on Corlys’s shoulder, who was Aethens younger brother and walked to the front of the pyre to address the court of Driftmark, which was joined by Visenya and her children.

‘’I knew my cousin Aethen Velaryon since my boyhood….as children we would swim out to the gullet in the dark of night…challenging each other to see who would turn back first….never once did he turn back in fear….my mother used to say he was half-fish…born to be at sea.’’ Aegon began.

‘’He showed the same courage in his role as High Admiral of my Kingdoms….serving in the role for over a decade….he fought at the battle of Gulltown, taking up command of the fleet after his father was slain in the battle, he commanded the Redwyne fleet in putting down the Ironborn rebellion, and years later commanded my fleet in Dragonstone during the Dornish war, sieging the castle of Ghaston Gray, and forcing it to capitulate….the man was a loyal servant of the throne…and a formidable warrior.’’ Aegon continued, several members of the crowd nodding.

‘’May he be given rest.’’ Aegon said and the crowd murmured agreement.

The King then turned to the crowd ‘’My cousin left behind an heir as well, Daemon, step forward.’’

Daemon Velaryon stepped forward, a young man of about 18 with long silver hair and the beginnings of a beard.

He knelt ‘’You honor my father and our house with your words.’’

‘’Daemon Velaryon….son of Aethen…I do confirm your right as lord of Driftmark, Lord of the Tides, and charge you to continue your fathers role as master of ships, the High Admiral of the seven Kingdoms.’’  Aegon continued.

Daemon rose ‘’Your grace….I feel I am not worthy of the honor…it would be enough to rule Driftmark in your name.’’

Aegon frowned, it was most unusual to reject such an honor from one's King and he would have preferred to have a Velaryon in the position, but he would not force the boy to accept the honor.

‘’As you wish.’’ Aegon said and he returned to stand beside Corlys.

As the last embers of the pyre began to disappear into the night sky, Aegon made his way to his chambers, gesturing Corlys to join him. The two made their way to a balcony outside and sat at a table, the King gestured for his son Vaemond to pour them both a cup of wine.

‘’Not many boys that age would turn down an appointment that would make them a member of the small council and one of the leading naval powers in the Kingdoms.’’ Aegon grumbled.

Corlys took a sip of wine ‘’From what I know of the boy it does not surprise me…some men have ambition…my nephew is most assuredly not cut from that cloth.’’

‘’Still…..it is one more appointment that must be made.’’ Aegon said with some annoyance.

It had been a season of funerals. Jon Rosby, master-of-arms of the Aegonfort had died as well. Aegon had grown quite close to the man, sharing many a dinner with the lord to the point Aegon considered him one of his few true friends, but one morning  he did not show up to drill Vaemond and Dalton Wynch. When a servant was sent to rouse him, he was found dead in a chair, a cup of wine close by.

Grandmaester Arlan had examined the wine, and afterwards had shared a quiet word with the King confirming his suspicion that Lord Rosby had been poisoned. As with most poisonings the true killer would likely never be brought to justice so Aegon had to come to terms that he would likely never bring justice for his friend. He had hoped to make Aethon Velaryon the new master-at-arms in addition to his role as high admiral but his cousin had died before he could accept the role. Aegon would need to find a new master of ships in addition to a new master-at-arms now, the main candidate was Jon Mooton, Lord of Maidenpool who had served Aegon well during the conquest.

Old Torrhen Stark, Lord of Winterfell and Warden of the North had also passed away. Aegon had sent Rhaenys to Winterfell to attend his funeral as well as confirm Brandon Stark's title as the new Warden of the North, hence why she was not present at her cousin's funeral.

Another change to the council had come after the death of Balman Hayford, with Aegon appointing his sister Visenya to the role, the contacts gained during her tour of Essos proving very useful.

Corlys looked out to sea from the balcony, the waves crashing against the dark stone of the castle, rhythmic and gentle.

‘’I am glad I got to see it….one more time, before I will join my brother.’’ The Lord Commander of the Kingsguard said softly watching the waves roll against the castle walls.

Aegon shook his head, fiercely ‘’The Grandmaester has assured me your illness is minor….and he has given you the best treatment in my Kingdoms.’’

Corlys chuckled lightly at that ‘’I never knew you to be one to put much stock into the words of maesters cousin.’’

‘’Arlan is a capable man…and I trust him on this matter….you have many years yet.’’ Aegon responded.

Aegon had been surprised when his cousin was dismounted quite early on the third day in the Grand Tourney of Kings Landing, his cousin was a fine lance and many expected him to win the champions purse.

It had soon become apparent that the Lord Commander was not himself, having a pale complexion, suffering from vomiting and oft times not being able to train with the other sworn brothers of the Kingsguard.

Corlys had attributed this to some seasonal sickness but Rhaenys had been so concerned she had all but forced him to visit the Grandmaester Arlan, who had revealed the truth of the matter.

Corlys was suffering from a cancer that was sapping his energy. Arlan, while cautioning that it was serious, said it was one of the more minor forms he had seen

‘’I hope you are right.’’ Corlys said.

‘’Your book will have many pages yet.’’ Aegon said with a small smile, referring to the White book, a book Corlys had proposed to keep the histories of each member of the Kingsguard

The two sat there for quite some time, reminiscing about their childhood in Driftmark, which Aegon ahd visited frequently as a boy. The following morning Aegon and his family would make the short voyage by sea from Driftmark to Dragonstone.

1