Chapter 18: A Royal Wedding (Part 2)
33 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Dead of Night

Vaemonds Chambers

Nyel stood in the familiar blackness, the void she called it. It had been months since she had last dreamed it….since before her father had died.

She saw nothing at first but turned.

To her right a figure appeared, featureless and dark the shadow approached, leaning on a cane. Three sharp black swords followed him, dancing through the air, leaving behind a purple mist.

‘’Boy.’’ The figure said the word echoing throughout the dark like a clash of steel,  the figure approaching before at last disappearing, the next part of the vision filled her mind.

Nyel was gone from the darkness, in a tower chamber, oddly familiar to her.

A figure approached her, short hair like silver, reaching out a hand.

She bit him, hot blood coursing through her mouth, a shrill scream puncturing the silence of the dark.

The blood of the dragon The words entered her mind.

Suddenly she was off the ground,small wings as white as snow carrying her into the distance.

She was back in the dark and the stench of death, the most vile smell that she had ever encountered filled the air, choking her, strangling her.

She fell to the ground, hearing a shuffling noise.

She turned and then she saw it, a shadow cloaked by a black hood approached.

She felt tears as cold as ice falling down her face at the sight of it, and suddenly she was fighting it, attempting to pull some unseen object from its hands, shrieking, pleading and screaming but to no avail.

The figure pulled down its hood, a face cracked and gray with yellow eyes staring back, causing her to fall to the ground, losing her grip on the unseen object.

My fault Another figure said to her, its voice full of grief, oddly familiar.

Nyel awoke in a cold sweat, the gray shadows face slowly fading from her mind.

She looked around and realized she was still in her brother's chambers, cursing as she realized she had slept. She had meant to leave his chambers at the next changing of the guard, but now it would be impossible to get out without being discovered.

Before she could rouse Vaemond, who was sleeping soundly beside her, to cause a distraction, a blood piercing scream echoed throughout the keep, providing more than enough distraction as she heard the Kingsguard outside her brother's door run down the hall.

Vaemond woke up and immediately pulled on a tunic, scarcely giving Nyel a look as he ran off to investigate, giving Nyel privacy to dress.

When she had, she slowly made her way to the scene that was unfolding just a few doors down….around her brother Matarys’s chamber.

On the floor was her brother, leaving against his bed groaning, a chunk of his hand missing, red blood pouring onto the fine carpets of the chamber, Demerei Royce was at his side, comforting him, while an Iron cage stood open in the corner of the room.

After Grandmaester Arlan had stemmed the bleeding with firemilk, the truth gradually came out. Though the marriage had not been consummated as Demerei Royce was still too young, the two newlyweds had shared a bed in a  ceremonial fashion.

Upon the morning, Matarys, feeling the effects of several cups of wine from the wedding feast and wanting to impress Demerei opened the dragon Moondancers cage to attempt to hold him. The dragon was no longer a little hatchling and was the size of a small dog and had reacted with hostility, attacking the prince and flying off, but not before taking a  chunk of his hand with him.

Two Nights Later

Vaemonds Chambers

Vaemond took one last look at the map before stuffing it in his satchel, donning a hooded cloak and opening the door quietly, where Lord Commander Corlys Velaryon was waiting.

The two made their way through the deserted halls of the Aegonfort before they were soon outside, the chill of night hitting Vaemond and he pulled his cloak tighter against his body.

‘’Last chance to turn back.’’ The Lord Commander said, armored in white enamel plate with a flowing white cloak, a far cry from his young charges subtlety.

‘’No chance.’’ Vaemond said and the two continued towards the stables, mounting two horses and riding through the gates, which were opened immediately when the guards saw the white armor of the Kinsguard, little attention being placed on his hooded companion.

They rode through the streets of Kings Landing, the smell of shit and cheap beer hitting them as they passed through Eel Alley, a few drunk men stumbled outside various small taverns and wine sinks but otherwise the streets were near empty.

Vaemond looked up at the hill where the Red Keep was being constructed and improved, the red bricks visible in the moonlight, a far more impressive sight even unfinished than the timber Aegonfort.

After a time they eventually reached the Lion Gate and similarly to the Aegonfort, the guards let the Lord Commander out without any question.

After that they rode west, following the river of the Blackwater Rush, Vaemond urged his horse forward into a gallop, pulling down his hood and feeling the cool night breeze on his face, the Lord Commander followed close behind, following the young prince's pace.

The two were headed west to track down the dragon Moondancer, which according to reports had made its way to a small island on the river a few miles from Kings Landing, snapping at any fishermen that got too close.

Vaemond had intended to ride alone at first, sneaking out of the palace. The dragon Moondancer, despite its fierceness was only three feet long and it was only a matter of time before the fishermen decided enough was enough and attacked it, his mother was planning to travel to the island on the back of Vhagar and coax it back to the city but she was busy as of late and it could be too late by the time that happened so Vaemond decided to take matters into his own hands

Vaemond had felt sick with the idea of deceiving his Kingsguard, potentially exposing them to chastisement if he escaped under their watch so earlier that night he had opened the door and had the Kingsguard Ser Garmon Hightower bring him to the White Sword Tower to speak with Corlys.

He was very close with his distant cousin, and confided near everything in the Lord Commander, even telling him, red faced, what had occurred with Nyel. Lord Commander Corlys agreed that something should be done about Moondancer and agreed to help Vaemond, but with the non negotiable condition that he escort the prince to Moondancers hideout.

‘’I'm surprised it managed to get so far for such a small thing.’’ Corlys said, breaking the silence as they slowed their horses to a  trot, giving the horses a reprieve.

‘’I find it unwise to be surprised at anything a Dragon does….small it may be but it has the blood of Balerion in its veins.’’ Vaemond said with a small smile, earning a nod from the Kingsguard.

Among a pile of reeds they found a small rowboat, Corlys left a small purse of 50 silver stags for the owner and they pushed it into the Blackwater Rush, heading upstream.

Not long after the small island came into sight, along with its occupant. Vaemond had to admit his brother did a fine job naming the dragon as Moondancer was aptly named. White as fresh fallen snow with small smooth scales the small dragon was sleeping in the middle of the island, sticking out in the dark waters of the Blackwater Rush much like the moon in the night sky.

They paddled slowly through the dark river until they reached it, the dragon still unaware of their presence.

‘’I'll go alone.’’ Vaemond said softly, and the Lord Commander shook his head with an expression that brooked no negotiation.

Vaemond stepped from the boat to the muddy shore and the dragon opened its eyes, hearing the rattle of Corlys’s heavy plate armor.

It stood on its legs and gave a hiss, a small amount of smoke filling the night sky.

Corlys stood back, his hand resting gently on his Longsword while Vaemond slowly approached.

The small dragon let out another hiss but stood its ground.

Vaemond, making sure to show no fear, strode confidently forward, reaching into his satchel and throwing out a choice piece of bloody beef, straight from the kitchens at the ground in front of the white dragon.

He approached even closer, being so close that he could count the tiny ringmail scales of the dragon.

The moment had come and there was no backing down now, the dragon stopped its eating and stared at the prince suspiciously with blue eyes.

Vaemond reached out a hand and placed it on the dragon's head, expecting to be bitten….but no bite came.

1