Chapter 24: A Lion Does Not Bow (Vaemond, Loren Lannister, Matarys) (Part 1)
17 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

1st of 9th Moon, 8023

Forests of the Kingswood

The smell of dirt, sap, moss and damp leaves filled the air as the King and his retinue made their way through the Kingswood at a leisurely pace.

The Kingswood was different than the pine bogs of Crackclaw Point,and in a welcome way. It was younger and more open, much of the forest had been burned down in his fathers conquest by his aunt Rhaenys dragon, and as such many of the trees were young and fresh.

‘’The peasants have killed near all the game.’’ Ser Gawen Corbray said with frustration, Vaemond was not overly strict with regulating hunting on the Kingswood, and even allowed the peasants that inhabited the woods to hunt to their heart's content.’’

‘’You exaggerate Ser Gawen, we are barely into the depths of the Kingswood….be patient’’ Vaemond replied, they were only a few hours into the hunt.

The King had realized he and his Kingsguard needed a break and had organized a week-long expedition into the Kingswood. It was his first time back in the forests since he had gotten word of his son Aelyx’s illness, he had expected there to be some eerie feelings upon returning but he had not anticipated the dreams, which had kept him from getting a good sleep and made him somewhat irritable.

‘’Aye….everyone knows the biggest game is found in the center of the forest, and if you dont stop your whining then you will scare off all the game.’’ Ser Roland Crakehall, an avid hunter, said to the older man with annoyance.

Ser Gawen Corbray bristled at that and was about to respond when Roland pointed into the brush.

‘’There, I saw a flash of movement.’’ Ser Roland said.

Vaemond nodded to the dismounted huntsmen, who approached the brush with boar spears, waiting for the King's signal to advance.

‘’It looked taller than a boar….perhaps a red hart, I just saw a flash of movement.’’ Ser Roland said, studying the forest for any further signs of movement.

After a few moments when no further movement was seen, the King nodded ‘’Whatever it is, it has the sense to remain hidden, I think it's time to get a closer look.’’

Vaemond began to dismount, planning to grab one of the boar spears from the huntsman when suddenly there was a whizzing sound and the King felt a woosh of air go by his head as he dismounted.

His horse gave a horrible screech, crumpling to its knees, and it was just then that Vaemond understood, seeing a feathered arrow protruding from its neck.

‘’Protect the King!.’’ Shouted Corlys Velaryon, already dismounted and unslinging his kite shield from his horse.

His Kingsguard formed a wall around him, looking into the forests, but there was no sound and no movement, only the call of a distant woodpecker.

‘’He's fled…..likely it's too late but lets pursue him but we should give it an attempt.’’ Vaemond said, gently pushing past his Kingsguard and heading into the forest.

I should have brought the hounds Vaemond thought ruefully as they slowly made their way through the forest in search of the archer. Vaemond was not a hunter that enjoyed the use of hounds, the hunt was over too quick, too easy, the King enjoyed slowly stalking game as opposed to wildly chasing it through the brush but he had to admit they would have proven useful in this current situation.

The woods opened up in front of them, countless directions where the archer could have fled.

‘’We've lost him….he's crossed the creek, we've no way of knowing where’’ Vaemond was forced to admit as they came to a riverbank, even if they had brought hounds the man's scent would have been taken by the shallow riverbed.

‘’Not quite your Grace.’’ Roland Crakehall said with a grin, the big man hunching down, his hands on the wet leafy ground.

‘’Speak your mind.’’ Vaemond said with interest.

‘’He didn't cross the river, look at this patch of leaves that's been disturbed, he kicked them in a panic to get away.’’ Roland said, getting up and dusting the leaves off of his armor.

‘’He could have done that on purpose, to throw us off his scent.’’ Corlys said with a  grunt.

‘’Only one way to find out.’’ Vaemond said, gesturing to his Kingsguard to follow the Riverbank.

They followed it for a few minutes, Ser Roland pointing out further signs of the man's flight that gave credence to the idea he had not crossed the river.

As they continued down the riverbank , Ser Roland, at the head of the column, suddenly stopped.

‘’Hes close.’’ He said.

‘’How do you know…..some old hunting trick?’’ Vaemond asked.

The big man smiled at the muddy riverbank, which had a pair of fresh footprints leading down to a log beside the creek.

Gawen Corbray, Lady Forlorn in hand, scampered down the decline towards the log.

The archer, knowing the game was up, suddenly appeared from behind the log and loosed an arrow.

Ser Gawen, with impressive agility managed to roll to the side, the arrow thudding harmlessly against the mud embankment.

The would-be assassin desperately tried to nock another arrow, but the Kingsguard was quickly upon him.

‘’We need him alive!’’ Vaemond shouted as he and the rest of the Kingsguard hurried down the embankment.

Gawen punched the man full in the nose with a gauntlet of plate steel, the man desperately tried to wriggle away but Ser Gawens fist met him straight in the teeth, ending any notions of an escape.

The man coughed a pink mixture of blood and teeth to the dirt, while Ser Gawen drew a broad bladed dagger from his sword belt and put it under the man's eye.

‘’Talk or I take your eye.’’ Ser Gawen hissed.

Vaemond, who had finally made it down the embankment with the rest of his Kinsguard approached the man, a hand on Blackfyre.

‘’I suggest you heed Ser Gawens warning assassin….I give you my word if you tell it true i'll allow you to take the black…though i fear they would find an archer of your….skill of little use.’’ Vaemond said.

Ser Gawen pressed the dagger closer to the man's eye ‘’Say the word.’’

‘’Tell it all and tell it true….or I will allow Ser Gawen Corbray to do as he wishes.’’ Vaemond warned.

‘’Lord Lannister…..it was Lord Lannister.’’ The man said breathlessly.

0