Chapter 33: A Surprise March (Vaemond)
14 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

1st Moon, 8026

Drox Castle

The two men knelt at Vaemonds feet, their swords lightly pushing down on the ground of the tent, Corlys Velaryon stood at the Kings side studying the young pair.

‘’Rise my friends.’’ Vaemond said, gesturing them up.

The two complied, sheathing their swords and facing the King. They both were quite young, with it being clear none of them were older than Vaemonds 24 years, despite the similarity in age, they couldn't have made for a more different pair.

The first man who looked to be the older one made the more impressive figure. He had short cropped golden hair, a goatee and wore his mustache in a rather vain way that reminded Vaemond of the late Ser Gawen Corbray, word of whose passing had recently reached his siege camp outside Drox Castle.

He wore a suit of mail with an orange surcoat centering 3 black lightning bolts. On his neck he wore a silver anvil, no doubt to honor the Smith. Most peculiarly however, the young reachmen wore a heavy belt made of several different types of metal chains, silver, brass and platinum shimmering in the tent's candle light.

It was to him that Vaemond turned first, gesturing him forward.

‘’I've been told much of you already in truth, but I'll allow you to make your introductions yourself.’’ Vaemond said with a small smile, running a hand on his neck, which while healed and scarred, still troubled him from time to time.

The young man puffed out his chest at that ‘’Ser Androw Leygood your Grace….steward of the Citadel and kinsman to Lord Leygood….my sword is yours.’’

‘’The citadel hmm….the Kingsguard is in need of warriors lad, not quill dippers.’’ Corlys Velaryon, Lord Commander of the Kingsguard said, arms crossed.

Ser Androw reddened at that ‘’I am an anointed knight Ser…..my time studying at the citadel has not lessened my skill at arms in the least.’’

Vaemond raised a hand for calm ‘’The Lord Commander meant no offense, of course we know you are a capable knight, we would not have sent for you if it were otherwise….I am however interested in how a knight such as yourself ended up at the citadel, as its steward nonetheless.’’

Ser Androw nodded ‘’My father was very old when he birthed me, my two brothers were two decades my senior and had several children of their own when I was born, it became clear that my future was not at Leygood Keep. Upon my 16th name day I journeyed to Oldtown to become a novice there.’’

‘’I see by your belt of chains you excelled there.’’ Vaemond said, nodding to the young knight's belt of multi-metal chains, each of which signified proficiency in a specific subject.

Ser Androw nodded ‘’I forged two links of silver in medicine and healing, should you take a wound on the battlefield I could see to your wounds in the midst of battle, I forged links of platinum, steel and brass as well. Take me into your Kingsguard and you will never want a translator. I studied metallurgy and time as well….my final two years Archmaester Gawen saw my potential and named me steward of the Citadel at the age of 19. I was responsible for feeding hundreds of novices, upkeep of dozens of study keeps and admittance of new students.’’

Vaemond nodded, extremely impressed with the young knight, but Corlys Velaryon was not yet satisfied.

‘’Impressive feats…..but you have not mentioned how you earned your knighthood, you say you are a good sword, seems to me between all this pen pushing you wouldn't have much time for training, much less earning your spurs.’’ Corlys said bluntly.

‘’I was trained at arms since I was a boy, both as a squire and page as befits my house.’’ Ser Androw said defensively.

‘’And your knighthood?’ Corlys persisted.

‘’I served as Archmaester Gawens sworn sword when he ventured into the city, as a member of the citadel I was not permitted to carry steel, but the Archmaester was set upon by vagabonds in one of the cities wharfside docks, I set them to flight with a staff and was knighted soon after by a warrior's son who witnessed by bravery.’’

‘’A staff is not a sword boy.’’ Corlys grunted.

‘’It is not…but I am a skilled swordsman as well….I found time to train with Lord Hightowers retinue two days each week as well….will you be needing a demonstration Ser.’’ The young Knight said curtly.

Vaemond shook his head ‘’From what I've heard, your talents are more than deserving of the White Cloak Ser Androw….that will be all for now, take this time to reflect on your coming decision…a Kingsguard serves for life.’’

Ser Androw nodded, bowed and withdrew from the tent.

Vaemond then turned his attention to the second young knight, an admittedly unpleasant task as the knight was without a doubt one of the ugliest men Vaemond had ever laid eyes on.

The center of his lip was turned upwards in a cleft lip all the way up to what remained of his nose, an attractive feature made much worse by the fact half of his face was afflicted by greyscale. His skin was dry, gray and hard as stone on the left side of his face, and the disease had taken much of his nose…in short the man was not pleasant to look upon.

Ser Bryen Royce may not have been attractive, but he was powerfully built in the Royce manner, much like his sister Demerei Royce, who was married to Matarys and was the King's own sister-by-law.

‘’I need no introduction from you Ser Bryen.’’ Vaemond said, he had met him once before, albeit when he was just a boy at his brother Matarys’s wedding to Demerei Royce. In fact it had been Demerei who had suggested that her brother be appointed to the Kingsguard in the raven that had brought the ill news of the deaths of 3 of Vaemonds Kingsguard.

‘’I may not have the illustrious introduction of my predecessor…but I was serving as my fathers master-at-arms in Runestone while Ser Androw was shuffling around with staff and timeglasses.’’ The young knight said.

‘’You do not approve of Ser Androw?’’ Vaemond asked with a frown.

Ser Bryen shrugged, but Corlys Velaryon gave a sharp laugh.

‘’Vaemond…the boy might be talented and sharp as a whip….but I could have oiled my armor and sharpened my blade in the time it took the lad to tell his tale of his ability….no doubt his other soon to be brothers will feel the same…dont hold it against our knight of Runestone.’’ Corlys said, causing Ser Bryen to give a curt nod of agreement.

‘’Nevertheless you will need to serve alongside him.’’ Vaemond said before continuing ‘’You hold an important role at your fathers court…why do you aspire to take the white.’’

‘’I'm good at fighting and better at killing….it seems you have a need of such men in this war.’’ The young Valeman said curtly.

Vaemond nodded ‘’It would also serve to remove some expectations and put to bed some rumors about you.’’

The King studied Ser Bryens face for any anger or sign of emotion in the blunt point, but Ser Bryen only stared.

A cold man our Ser Bryen Vaemond thought, thought that was not necessarily a bad thing, the Kingsguard could be strengthened by such a man.

‘’That will be all for now Ser Bryen, I would of course offer you a White Cloak…not only for your ability but our houses are bound by blood, take this time to consider your choice…as I said, the Kingsguard serves for life….should you wish to proceed you and Ser Androw shall take your vows at dusk in front of your Lord Commander and myself.’’

Ser Bryen nodded and withdrew.

‘’There's some of Ser Gawen in that one.’’ Corlys Velaryon said after he had left.

Vaemond nodded ‘’The Kingsguard needs good fighters, and he's the best knight to represent the Vale, only his family stood with the crown.’’

‘’We still need two more.’’ Corlys cautioned.

The King nodded. It had been a terrible loss the Kinsguard had been dealt with losing 3 of its members, not only for losing such capable men, but also in the fact that it left the Kingsguard with just 3 men, Corlys and Ser Harold Langward and Ser Roland Crakehall. To add two young able knights was a start however, though two sports still remained, that vacated by Ser Gregor Goode of the Riverlands and that from the Rogue Merman Ser Warrick.

In truth Vaemond had almost forgotten the Kingsguard had originally been formed with seven members, he had not even been born when Ser Warrick Manderly betrayed his vows and fled to Essos, but when the war ended he meant to finally strip the treasonous sellsword, if he was still alive, of his white cloak and name a successor, in large part due to Corlys’s constant reminders, the Kingsgard should never have been in a position to become so depleted in the first place.

Vaemond did not have long to relax from the meeting of his two soon-to-be Kingsguard, as he heard his camp heralds announcing the arrival of a retinue of riders, which Vaemond was expecting.

‘’Lord Serret has arrived your Grace.’’ Ser Roland Crakehall said, opening the tent.

Vaemond nodded ‘’Send him in.’’

Lord Marq Serret, Lord of Silverhill was a pale man with a fleshy belly and a long neck and a thin face, his hair a mop of brown stringy hair, he wore a beige tunic with the peacock of his house formed with garnets.

‘’Welcome Lord Serret….be seated.’’ Vaemond said, gesturing to a seat by a small table, which had been set with wine.

Three days prior, he had received a raven from Silverhill with Lord Serretts offer of surrender and intent to swear his lands back into the crown's authority.

Vaemond was scarcely surprised  when he received the raven, in truth he had expected Loren Lannisters vassals to begin deserting their lord as the war was now firmly going against the Lions of the Rock.

Casterly Rock, besieged from land by Dornish and Reach levies and by sea from 100 Redwyne galleys would fall within a few weeks. Lannisport had fallen as well some time prior to Vickon Greyjoy and Riverspring, castle of House Sarwyck had been stormed by Boros Baratheons Stormlanders. To make matters worse, the host of Theo Tyrell had caught a small Westerlander force of some 5000 men at Peckledon and routed them. Vaemond did not know what madness possessed Loren Lannister to send such a small force south but he was not one to look a gift horse in the mouth.

Riverspring and House Sarwyk were vassals to House Serrett of Silverhill and Lord Serret no doubt sensed his own castle was next to face the loyalists wrath and decided he was better off jumping ship while he still could.

The meeting went by rather quickly, with Vaemond not forcing any conditions or punishments on the Lord of Silverhill, merely welcoming him back into the King's peace; the southern Westerlands had suffered enough in the war.

Lord Serrett to his credit did his best to turn the situation to his advantage, being so bold at one point to casually mention he would be willing to serve as Lord Paramount of the Westerlands once the war was over, but Vaemond bluntly made it clear that while Lord Serrett was welcome back into the King's Peace, he could not expect any sort of reward other than leniency since he had joined his forces to the crown in the waning days of the war at no risk to his own standing.

Lord Serrett departed soon after, and Vaemond won a few precious moments of respite, but his peace was shattered when Corlys Velaryon entered the tent, raven scroll in hand, a grim look on his face.

Vaemond steeled himself with a sip of wine and nodded wordlessly for the Lord Commander and his most trusted commander to give the tidings.

‘’We have word from Byford your Grace….a raven, Loren Lannister and a large host have outmaneuvered us, stealing a march through the northern mountains, the raven says there may be more than twenty thousand, heading east.’’ Corlys Velaryon said.

‘’He abandons Casterly Rock.’’ Roland Crakehall said with surprise, many of those in Vaemonds war council had expected the decisive battle of the war to come when Loren Lannister attempted to relieve the siege of his capitol, which would have to be soon.

Vaemond paled at once and made his way to the map in the center of the tent, his eyes focusing on Byford in the Crownlands.

‘’He's after a bigger prize.’’ Vaemond said grimly, if Loren Lannister was marching east, and abandoning all hope of relieving Casterly Rock there was only one location he could have his eyes on.

‘’Kings Landing.’’ Ser Harold Langward said suddenly, with realization.

‘’The battle at Peckledon was no gift horse….he sacrificed those men to distract the Tyrells, who had orders to stop any march east…..there's no significant host in between Byford and Kings Landing….if he assaults the city…’’ Vaemond said, silently cursing himself for a fool, he had not thought it likely Loren Lannister would abandon his capital to march east and even less likely Loren Lannister would be able to outmaneuver his hosts in able to do so, but he had done both.

‘’We will send a raven….Nyel, Laena and Matarys’s family will have ample time to evacuate.’’ Ser Harold Langward said reassuringly.

Vaemond nodded ‘’True enough my family will be able to escape, but the Lannisters have several days time on us, if they storm the city…..and the North should hear that the capitol has fallen….’’

‘’We could have forty thousand angry northmen marching south.’’ Corlys finished grimly.

‘’Send a letter to my sister to evacuate my daughter and nephew from the city, as well as herself….tell her to make it known to Rhaegar Tully that his gold cloaks MUST hold the city until I arrive….King's Landing cannot fall.’’

‘’It will be done.’’ Corlys nodded.

Loren Lannister has played us for fools Vaemond thought as he looked at the map, praying that he would not arrive too late.

0