CHAPTER 1
16 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Five years had passed ever since I was brought back to this world.

 

It is still a surreal feeling. I was never a faithful person, but coming back to life makes me rethink my own beliefs.

 

However, as all things, nothing remains constant. The world has drastically changed.

 

The vegetation that once were full of vibrant colors, had changed to a darker tint. They also seem larger, the trees easily tower over any hill I have seen in the forest.

 

Furthermore, the weather has also changed. Storms are more devastating and common, yet the people treat it as normal. What would once be categorized as a devastating storm, is nothing more but a light shower.

 

I've lived through these storms since my infancy, and I am still astonished that I am still alive despite the heavy rains and wind that threaten to tear the roof from our heads.

 

The animals, too, have changed. They act more feral, aggressive, and have become more lethal. Rabbits are no longer the fluff balls I used to love, but are now beasts with sharp teeth, larger, and have long stretched legs that make them sprint faster than a deer. They hunt like any other beast especially when their burrows have grown large that they become the main threat to any habitat, more so to us humans as our settlements serve as a feast to any beast.

 

However, not all animals have become monsters. Some seemed to have remained the same for the most part, for instance, cats haven't changed at all in terms of appearance, but they are faster than what they used to be, larger, and have sharper claws however other than those changes they remain the same. Similarly, we humans haven't changed much. Although the adults are taller and the men are more broader I am unsure if it is due to the changes of the environment, or a change of diet that is more meat favored.

 

In any case, in these 5 years, I have also learned to speak. The language has completely changed as well, although it is natural since the civilizations and cultures of the past don't always survive to the aging of time, but usually old languages are mixed with other languages to form a new lingua franca, however that does not seem to be the case to the language of today. The words spoken today are completely alien to any language I've known in the past, and I don't consider myself culturally isolated as I have interacted with most if not all Kingdoms and Empires during the days of the Screacher War.

 

With so much that has changed, whether due to my scholarly nature mixed with my childlike mind or an innate desire to learn, questions are concocted in my mind. Why did the animals change so drastically? Why did the weather become more ferocious? Why is the sky purple? What happened to the cultures and languages I once known?

 

Why am I reincarnated?

 

I want to find those answers, but I don't know where to start. There are no schools and libraries, and even if there are, could I even read? The spoken language has changed dramatically, so it would make sense that the written language has also changed. I've also noticed that there are no signs in the village. The only way you can tell if a building is a bakery or a blacksmith is by the layout.

 

Literacy seems to have fallen out of favor. Perhaps it's just an isolated case, but I'm pessimistic.

 

I've never trusted the nobility in my previous life, and it won't change in this life. If they had a chance to make the people illiterate to lessen the spread of ideas, than they would.

 

I could be gracious and assume the economy has fallen, however even if it's due to a collapsed economy, the fault still falls to the nobility. They have absolute control of society, so any economic and social faults is due to the failure of the aristocrats.

 

Regardless of what happened, I spent the whole day working on my chores as my father hunted with the other hunters. Lately, the beasts have been active, creating a shroud of anxiety in this dire of times.

 

As the sun sets and the sky turns to a blueish hue, after pondering I've decided to ask my father for some answers or a way to find them.

 

I waited for dinner, as that is the time where he is the most free and available.

 

"Dad, why are the animals so scary?"

 

He stopped stirring the stew, cooking in an iron pot on an open hearth, and began to think for a while before he resumes stirring.

 

"Well... I don't know what to say, kid. For all I've known and lived, they have always been that way. But, I suppose the [Priest] would know more about this"

 

"The [Priest]? Why would he know that?"

 

"Well... he's a religious person. If there's anyone that knows why they look like that, it would be a religious man"

 

He smiled at me.

 

Well, that's a start I suppose...

 

"Anyways, can you go and feed your mother?"

 

He poured stew into a wooden bowl and handed it to me.

 

"Okay..."

 

My mother has been bedridden for a few days now. I'm not sure what's the cause, but my father had mumbled "Consumption".

 

Her fingers had changed color to a dark purple. She experiences heavy fevers and coughs a dark fluid that resembles oil.

 

I worry for her. Who wouldn't be? And she's not the only one as well. Most of the people in the village have also been sick by "Consumption".

 

It came so suddenly as well, days prior to the epidemic my mother was still smiling and working as the village's herbalist. But as the disease spread it eventually infected her as well. Bodies have began to pile, just today 8 were found dead on their beds.

 

For my safety, she quarantined herself.

 

I'm not a medical professional, but this isn't the "Consumption" I've known in my previous life. People don't turn purple and cough a black oil-like fluid.

 

As I approached the door of her room, I wrapped a cloth around my mouth and nostrils.

 

I knocked on her door

 

"Mother, it's me"

 

I waited for her voice.

 

...

 

... ...

 

... ... ...

 

My heart pumped faster and my stomach aches slightly.

 

"Please don't be dead..." I whispered.

 

"Casuro?"

 

Finally she answered back

 

"Yes, mother. It's me"

 

I sighed a deep relief.

 

"Come in, my child..."

 

I entered the room and greeted her with a weak smile.

 

The room is lit by several candles, melting slowly on a wooden nightstand next to her bed.

 

Despite the poor lighting, I can see that she smiles back but is disturbed by a sudden hoarse cough.

 

"How are you feeling, mother?"

 

I sat down at the end of her bed, and laid the bowl next to me.

 

"Could be better..."

 

She takes a deep breath before smiling back to me.

 

"Father... made some venison stew. He knows how much you like carrots, so he added extra..."

 

She laughs weakly.

 

"Of course he did... silly man... could I even finish the meal?"

 

She coughs again, but it is softer than the previous one.

 

I chuckled slightly as I picked up the bowl of stew and moved closer to her.

 

"Well... you need to eat to get better after all. The more you eat... the faster you'll recover... is what he said"

 

"And that's why your father is silly... he could've sold the venison and saved the coins... for when the peddlers come"

 

"No peddler has arrived yet, mother"

 

"Not yet?"

 

I nodded slightly.

 

"Yes... not yet. I'll lift you up now, mother"

 

I placed the bowl down on the nightstand then lifted my mother from her bedridden state.

 

Once her body was lifted, I checked on her temperature.

 

"You're boiling again..."

 

"Naturally... have you been doing well?"

 

I picked up the bowl and began feeding her the stew that has begun to cool.

 

"Yes... I've done my chores well, and helped doing menial stuff around the town"

 

She swallows her serving then chuckles

 

"I'm not asking about that... silly. I'm asking how are you feeling?".

 

My feelings?

 

I fed my mother another spoonful as I fell into thought.

 

"I... I don't know..."

 

I then felt a hand on my head.

 

"I see... I know that feeling well... How about father?"

 

The way she spoke seemed to make her recall some sort of memory.

 

"Father is fine... he's still working hard in the forest. Lately... it's been busy so he doesn't have a lot of time"

 

She coughs before speaking.

 

 

"Busy? That's... that's not good..."

 

Not good? I wonder why...

 

"Is there a problem with that?"

 

My question seemed to startle her slightly.

 

"Um... no... no... there's no problem... you... you shouldn't concern yourself over that... your father will handle it..."

 

"I see..."

 

Despite my cynicism I chose to not ask her any further. I'll find out one way or another after all.

 

I fed her another spoonful of stew, once she had digested it she spoke once more.

 

"How about Alina? How are you doing with her?"

 

"We're... we're doing alright"

 

She coughs slightly, but once her cough subsided she smirked at me.

 

"Alright? What do you mean by that?"

 

 

"Um... we're not fighting or anything... we've been seeing each other less though..."

 

 

"Really? Why?"

 

 

She coughs with a pained expression.

 

"Her... father got sick five days ago..."

 

Despite her earlier pain, she looks at me with a sad look.

 

"Oh... I hope they will be alright... her mother is a good lady after all... how about her? Did... did she get sick too?"

 

"No... fortunately"

 

I fed her the last spoonful of stew. I then placed the empty bowl on the nightstand.

 

"I see... you should see Alina more often then"

 

"What? Why?"

 

She looks at me with a smile.

 

"Oh, you innocent boy... if only you took more of your father's character..."

 

She then looks at empty air, thinking.

 

"Actually... it's a good thing you didn't"

 

She coughs hoarsely with some black fluid coming out of her mouth.

 

I picked up a wet cloth from a bucket next to her bed. Then cleaned the fluid from her.

 

"Thank you... but you should refrain yourself from doing that... I... I don't want you getting sick..."

 

I faintly smiled at her after cleaning the cloth in the bucket.

 

"It's okay... I don't mind it"

 

She looks at me with a stern look.

 

"I'm serious... my illness... the sickness is contagious... I don't want my own son..."

 

She moved her eyes away from me and stared at the empty air.

 

"I don't want you... dying... so please..."

 

I wanted to refute her, but I couldn't find the words to speak. So I nodded in dumbfounded silence.

 

She placed her hand at my head and began to comb my hair.

 

"You really need to cut your hair..."

 

I smiled faintly.

 

"I should go now... I'll call father"

 

She smiled at me.

 

"Okay... have a good day tomorrow... and don't forget about Alina as well..."

 

I chuckled.

 

"I will... goodnight mother"

 

I stood up from her bed and picked up the empty bowl.

 

"You know... you've matured a lot... makes me feel like I failed as a mother"

 

"What?! No... no... you're the best mother... don't say that, please"

 

She chuckled.

 

"I see... goodnight my boy"

 

"...Goodnight... mother..."

 

I was lost in words. Why would she say that? She has done all she can... If not for this illness... If only any peddler could finally arrive... then...

 

I shook my head to clear my thoughts as I left the room.

 

Once I came back to the hall, my father greeted me with his arms crossed.

 

"How is she?"

 

"She's... I don't know"

 

My father closed his eyes as he sighed deeply

 

"I see... go ahead and sleep, I'll clean that bowl later"

 

He meekly smiled at me.

 

"...Okay"

 

I placed the bowl on the table

 

"I'm going to clean myself first..."

 

"Alright, be careful. The forest is a bit busy these days"

 

I nodded as I headed towards the door and left.

 

The night blows a chilly wind as I walk through the empty dirt path.

 

"Quite a chilly night" I mumbled.

 

Walking down the path and into the forest, I carefully looked around.

 

Seems like no one is around.

 

Ever since I was able to see... I could see things that others couldn't.

 

At the beginning, I thought my childish imaginations could've taken over. But I began to realize that the blue orbs I saw were people or animals.

 

Then, it evolved. From blue orbs to a rough outline of their bodies. It eventually changed to what it is now, a full apparition.

 

Honestly, it was startling to see it firsthand, but as I got used to it, I became fascinated.

 

I never had something as useful as this ability in my previous life. If I did, I would never lose a single battle. The ability of being able to see living creatures is extremely useful, especially at night.

 

It also seems to have a limit of the distance I can see them. It seems to be around 100 meters, enough for my personal use and small skirmishes.

 

I'm still unsure if the distance could increase overtime, but if it can, then that will be great.

 

If I can see an entire battlefield with this vision I could easily react to any attack, unfortunately my days of being a general are over.

 

After some time, I made it to the river.

 

I began to clean my hands first. Then after rinsing my hands thoroughly, I began to clean my face.

 

As I splattered my face with the cold water, I stared down seeing my reflection.

 

I see a young boy with golden hair and bright blue eyes. A contrast to my previous appearance of red hair and black eyes.

 

It's still surreal that this is me.

 

I don't know why I was given a second chance in life, but I'm grateful to any god to give this life to me.

 

For a second chance in life... I find it weird that I still remember my past.

 

The feeling of being young and having both the mind of a child and adult is a very surreal feeling. At times I act mature, but at other times I act childish.

 

Because of that, I'm considered a weirdo in the village. I couldn't play with the other kids because my mature mind makes it difficult to relate to them, and I couldn't talk to the adults because my childish mannerism and attitude gets in the way of serious conversations.

 

Especially when I have a certain worldview. My childish mind makes me extremely persistent and stubborn, which makes me easily angry and frustrated at times.

 

"I'm such a weirdo, aren't I?"

 

I chuckled as I washed my face once more.

 

Then... I can feel it... the stares of a predator. Despite it being behind me, I can see it perfectly. The shape of the body is something I haven't  seen yet. It's not a boar, a bear, a deer, or a rabbit. It also seems to have some fur and a long jaw. It's large, almost as big as an adult but smaller than a bear.

 

Could it be wolf?

 

It's a chilling feeling, the feeling of fear. The knowledge of knowing I can die.

 

I took a deep breath, slowly stood up, and calmly walked away.

 

Stay calm. If you run, you will be hunted. Predators love to have fun. If I run, I will die. Stay calm.

 

My heart is pounding, my hands are sweating, and my fear is overwhelming.

 

I swallowed my saliva as I walked away from the monster.

 

It's still watching... I don't want to die... my father is waiting... my mother still needs nurturing... I will not die

 

I think to calm myself. At this point I am practically praying.

 

As I walked away further, the stare became more distant.

 

75 meters? Can I outrun it?

 

My heart rate is high. It's hard to breathe. My vision is becoming blurry. My stomach is aching.

 

Don't be foolish... be patient... If it hasn't chased me now, it will if I run. Stay calm. Take your time. Don't rush it

 

80 meters.

 

90 meters.

 

100 meters.

 

"I can't see it anymore... Am I safe?"

 

It could still be watching. Beasts can see better at night than humans, it's surely watching.

 

"Was that wolf? I've heard wolves are unlike any beast from my father. But why is it so close? I only saw one, but there could be more nearby. A scout? I'm not sure..."

 

I distract myself with questions. It's easier to be calm when you're thinking after all.

 

Once I got out of the forest, I began to run back home.

 

I pushed the door open, and closed it in a hurry.

 

"What's going on?!"

 

My father entered the room through the hall, and saw me in a sweaty state.

 

He looks at me with worry.

 

"What happened?"

 

I couldn't speak. I'm still cold.

 

He walks to me and kneels down.

 

"Are you okay?"

 

He looks down at my hands and sees it shivering.

 

"It's okay... you're safe. So what happened?"

 

 

My eyes are teary, my body is shivering, but I was able to speak.

 

"There... there's... a wolf... there was a wolf watching... watching... in the forest... hiding... it... it saw me... I... I was prey..."

 

My father looked at me with a stern look.

 

"I see... go to your room and sleep. I'll handle this. You're safe right now"

 

"Can... Can I sleep with you? I... I don't... think I can sleep... alone"

 

He nodded.

 

He then picks me up and brings me to bed.

 

"It's alright. Just close your eyes. I'll protect you"

 

"Can... Can you count?"

 

"What?"

 

"Counting... makes me sleep easier..."

 

He went quiet for a moment.

 

"Son... I... I don't know how to count"

 

"...What?"

 

I looked up at him. Despite the darkness, he seems to be blushing.

 

"Just... just close your eyes okay?"

 

By the heavens... has the education of the world collapsed this much?

 

I nodded.

 

I closed my eyes, and began counting in my head.

 

One... two... three... four...

 

My shivering has calmed, and I stopped sweating.

 

Five... six... seven...

 

Then, I fell asleep.

 

1