Chapter Three, The Friendship
193 2 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

"Years ago, in the place of the demons—The Underworld—there an old, successful ruler. 

 

"He loved violence—he craved it. Screams of agony, unbearable suffering, and loss aroused him in a way nothing else did. A desperate cry for help in the darkness satisfied him in the same way a single chocolate satisfies a person. 

 

"He had an undying thirst for violence and vengeance—specifically towards mankind. He hated human beings. Inflicting this vengeance was what he lived for. 

 

"One day, he decided that slaughtering choice amounts of single humans wasn't enough for him—wasn't enough to satiate his bloodlust. So, he formed a plan to take over the human world with his fellow demons.

 

"Millions of demons began to invade the human world, destroying cities and villages, and murdering any humans found. Men. Women. Children. 

 

"The ruler's son was a part of what the humans would call 'The Demon Raids'. But he was different from his father—he hated violence. It disgusted him. Seeing the ruins of families and towns after raids horrified him. Infuriated him. But there was nothing he could do—his father was the ruler, not him.

 

"One day, his father sent him to destroy a small collection of houses, and kill everyone in them. The son weighed his options heavily on his way to the houses, racking his brain for some sort of escape. He couldn't do that… but would really rather invoke his father's wrath?

 

"Once he got there, he met one of the children living there. She was a little girl, maybe 5 at the time, and was the epitome of innocence. Instead of screaming or running when she saw him, she held out her hand to him, and introduced herself. 

 

"Looking into her sweet, sinless eyes, he knew he couldn't kill this little girl, or anyone else there. 

 

"When he went home that day, and his father asked, the son lied to him. He told him that yes, he burned down the village, and there were no survivors. And that seemed to please him.

 

"Meanwhile, the son would go to the village to visit the little girl. He would play with her and have fun, but always made sure no one else saw them. He knew humans wouldn't accept him. It became the thing he would look forward to the most, Watching her run over to him in excitement, calling his name. She was the sweetest little thing he had ever seen.

 

"Then, one day, the ruler's son snuck off, just like any other day, but was faced with a horrible surprise. 

 

"The entire family was slaughtered… including the little girl. He never even found out who did it, but it didn't matter.

 

"At that moment, a fury stronger than anything he had ever felt overcame him. He couldn't let this happen anymore. As he held her dead body, amongst her family, he knew—his father had to be stopped.

 

"He waged war against his father and anyone who followed him, forming a group of demons who agreed that the violence had to end. The war lasted over 100 years, but in the end, the son emerged Victorious. The Underworld was his to rule.

 

"After that, everything changed. So… we're not evil anymore!"

 

Oliver stared at her, dumbfounded. He had stopped walking, causing her to stop and stare as well. 

 

This girl is literally insane… 

 

"That sounds more like a movie than a retelling of your ancestors," he said.

 

"What's a movie?"

 

He stared at her. A car drove by on the street. 

 

"What? How do you not know what a movie is?"

 

"I dunno. But anyway, humans still don't know that demons are helping them. They think it's the angels."

 

"What, now there's angels too?" He asked, playing along for his own sake. He didn't know what to believe. 

 

"Pfft, yeah," she said, rolling her eyes. "They're so arrogant. They're always taking credit for all the good things we do, and they hardly even help humans. They help the ones who deserve it, instead of the ones in need. I mean, that's pretty pointless if you ask me. 

 

"The ruler of the Underworld is trying to be friends with the gods of the Overworld, but he still hasn't gotten a reply. It's like they're purposely ignoring us or something!" 

 

She crossed her arms, pouting. "Their ruler is stupid… demons and angels could never be friends…"

 

"...Marilyn, I think you watch too much TV."

 

She looked over at him, hurt. "You mean, you don't believe me, Oliver?"

 

"Marilyn! Who would?! It's crazy!!!"

 

"Look!" She cried, holding out her hand, "I have proof that I'm a demon!"

 

Oliver looked at her palm. Engraved in what looked like red ink was a strange circular symbol. In the middle of the circle was the number 47. 

 

"Okay, Marilyn. It's a tattoo. So?"

 

She rolled her eyes, exasperated. "Oliver! This is a Summoning Circle. I can summon things with this. And 47," she pointed, "is my rank number."

 

He knew she had to be crazy… or at least extremely imaginative… but he decided to play along. 

 

"Okay then, Marilyn—summon something for me."

 

"I can't! I'd be wasting a summon, and I only get one a day. I'm kinda on a really cheap contract right now…" 

 

… does she REALLY expect me to believe this? She's just recreating a story or something… or has some sort of Main Character Syndrome… 

 

Marilyn tried to find Oliver's eyes, and when she did, his look to her said it all. 

 

"What? You still don't believe me, Oliver?!"

 

"No! You don't have any proof!!!"

 

"Uggghhhh, fine! But sometime soon, I'm gonna show you—I am a demon!"

 

"Oh, yeah. Sure Marilyn. Go for it."

 

Oliver started to walk past her, making his way to school. He had to hurry towards the end so he'd make it in the gates on time. 

 

Marilyn followed, and stuck close beside him. 

 

They were about to walk into the school building. 

 

"So, umm… Oliver… what's your first period?"

 

"English."

 

"Really? Me too!"

 

"What class is it?" He asked.

 

Oh no… please don't say it, please don't say it… 

 

"103."

 

"Shiiiiiiit. We have the same class…

 

Marilyn gasped. "Really?! Yay!!!" She was ecstatic—her face said it all. 

 

"Why, me?" Oliver sighed under his breath as they walked into the building together. 

 

As soon as they walked in, everything was a blur. 

 

Oliver tried to hurry past kids who were rushing to lockers and classes, messing around in the halls, and talking about the first day of school.

 

That Oliver missed.

 

He tried covering his face—he didn't want to be seen with Marilyn—but it didn't matter.

 

Older dudes with facial hair, groups of girls in short skirts and jeans, even a lot of people Oliver knew: they were all staring at them. They undoubtedly must've heard about what happened the day before, and Oliver knew this girl wasn't gonna help his reputation. 

 

Shit… 

 

Oliver tried to discreetly lose her in the sea of people moving haphazardly through the halls. And he almost did. But as soon as he did, she latched onto his arm.

 

"Where do you think you're going!" 

 

He froze, and the crowd jostled around them to class. 

 

"Marilyn! Let GO! People are gonna get THE WRONG IDEA!" He yell–whispered to her.

 

"Well… I don't care what they think!!!"

 

BING BONG

 

The bell rang. They were late, but stood alone in the hall now. Everything was quiet.

 

She looked down, then stared him in the eyes. For the first time, he saw them filled with pure sadness, riddled with angst.

 

"They can think whatever they want to, Oliver! I… I'm just… I'm tired of being lonely. N……no one here wants to be my friend. They never have."

 

Her voice cracked on the last sentence, and she looked to the floor. 

 

Shit… Oliver thought, I'll feel bad if she starts crying… 

 

But he couldn't get over it. The whole demon thing. It was just too ridiculous for her to expect him to believe that… he couldn't…

 

But he also couldn't let her stand there, feeling completely alone in the world, without a single friend.

 

Loneliness wasn't new to him. 

 

Okay… I'll just play along with this demon bullshit. It's… not that big of a deal anyway…

 

"Alright—I won't leave. Just let go of my arm, okay?"

 

She looked up, eyes glistening, but hopeful. "Really?" 

 

"Yes. I promise I won't leave"

 

Marilyn let go of his arm and took a little step back. She looked up at Oliver and smiled. 

 

And he smiled back at her. 

 

They both started walking to class in silence, side by side. 

 

"Hey, Oliver."

 

"Yeah?" He asked. 

 

"Let's eat lunch together tomorrow ❤!"

 

He mumbled under his breath and held back a slightly rude comment. The only thing that escaped his lips was a sigh. 

 

"Ugh… fine."

 

They continued on to English. 

 

End of chapter 3

 

6