Chapter Eighteen, Welcome To The Team, May!!
80 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“May!!!”

 

May opened her eyes. The room was dark. She sat up slowly, realizing she was in Oliver’s bed. Alone. 

 

“What…happened?” she asked, looking around. Hearing noises in the living room, she got up and opened the door. The TV was on, but none of the lights were. Oliver was asleep on the couch. 

 

“Oliver,” she said, shaking him gently. “Oliver, wake up. You should sleep in your bed.”

 

“Huh?” he asked, half asleep. 

 

“Come on, let’s go to sleep in your room,” she said. 

 

“I can’t…I’m hanging out with Teri…”

 

“Wh-who’s Teri?” she asked. 

 

“He’s my friend…he’s pretty cool, don’t worry…” 

 

May looked. Teri was asleep on the couch too, arms wrapped around Oliver. She realized they were both drunk. Looking closer at him, she saw he had hair that was short in the back but long in the front, most of which fell over his face while he slept, and was dressed almost completely in black. 

 

May frowned and stormed back into Oliver’s room, shutting the door. 

 

THE NEXT MORNING

 

Oliver woke up struggling to breathe. He blinked in the morning light and saw that both Marilyn and Teri were lying on top of him, passed out. 

 

“WHAT ARE YOU BOTH DOING HERE?!?” 

 

Marilyn woke up. “Oh, good morning Oliver,” she mumbled, snuggling into him. 

 

“WHY ARE YOU SLEEPING ON ME?!?” he yelled. 

 

“It’s warm,” Marilyn said contentedly. 

 

“Yeah,” Teri agreed, eyes still closed. 

 

“GET OFF OF ME!!” 

 

“Just five more minutes, Oliver,” Teri said, hugging him tighter. 

 

“NO!! I CAN’T FEEL MY BODY!!!!” 

 

Oliver tried to push them off, but they wouldn’t budge. His arms were pinned to his side. He used all his strength to roll to the floor, throwing both of them off with a yell. 

 

“Shit,” Oliver said, quickly escaping to his room. He shut the door, turned around, and sat on his bed. “What the hell was that,” he mumbled as he wrapped himself in his blanket. Suddenly, he felt an arm around him. He turned and saw May sitting there next to him. He forgot she was in there. 

 

“Sh-shit, sorry,” he said, getting up. He was about to walk away before she grabbed his arm. He looked at her. 

 

“Wait, O-Oliver…um…i-if you want to stay, th-then you can…”

 

“Um, I’m already awake, so it’s fine,” he answered. 

 

“O-oh, um…okay…”

 

He checked the clock. It was past 9. “Let’s go get something to eat,” he suggested. May followed him as he walked into the living room. Marilyn and Teri were still sleeping on the floor. 

 

“You two, get up!” 

 

“No!” they both yelled back in unison. 

 

Oliver groaned. “Marilyn, if you get up I’ll take you to get food.”

 

Her head popped up. “Really?”

 

“Yes, if you get up.”

 

She shot up. “Okay, let’s go!” 

 

He looked over at Teri. “Teri, you too—get up.”

 

“No, just leave me here,” he mumbled.

 

“Dude just get up, c’mon.”

“No. I just wanna sleep.”

 

“Then at least go to my bed—don’t stay on the floor.”

 

A pause. “N-no…”

 

“Teri! Why the hell not?!” Oliver yelled. 

 

“I just wanna sleep!”

 

“Ugghhh,” Oliver groaned. He walked over and picked him up, lugging him over to his bed and dropping him there. He walked back to the living room and said to May and Marilyn, “Let’s go.”

 

Later, the three of them sat at the booth, waiting for their food. Marilyn and Oliver sat across from May as Marilyn stared at her. 

 

“So May,” she said, “has…anything changed?”

 

“Um…no?” May answered. 

 

“See, Oliver? It didn’t work you dumbass!” she smiled. 

 

“Hey, what’s up with the dumbass?” he asked. 

 

“That’s what you are, dumbass!” 

 

“Marilyn!” May scolded. 

 

“What?”

 

“Tell Oliver you’re sorry!” she frowned. 

 

“What?!? No!” Marilyn yelled. “Oliver is a dumbass—if the contract doesn’t work, you’re gonna die.”

 

May froze. “W-wait…what?” 

 

Marilyn was all smiles. “Yup! It was nice knowing you, May! Goodbye!” 

 

A knot started to form in May’s stomach. She turned to Oliver. “I-is that t-t-true?” she asked, her voice shaking. 

 

Oliver scratched the back of his neck. “Um…yeah, it is. Sorry, May.”

 

She started to panic inside. Was she going to die? Did Oliver give her his blood knowing it might kill her? Was it going to work at all?

 

“I don’t know how the hell you’re alive,” Marilyn laughed, “But pretty soon you’re gonna die!”

“D-don’t listen to her,” Oliver said, trying to reassure her. “She’s crazy! You look fine to me…and I don’t think anything is gonna happen to you, May, so don’t worry.”

 

May looked down at her shaking hands. Why wasn’t he at all worried? “O-Oliver,” she said. “I-if I die, I…I just want you t-to know that I…um…” Tears started to form in her eyes. “That I love—”

 

“Cheeseburgers!” Marilyn cried as the waitress arrived. 

 

“Oh, the food is here,” Oliver said. “Let’s eat.” Everyone started to eat.

 

“Oh…um, y-yeah,” May mumbled. She’d completely lost her appetite. 

 

MEANWHILE

 

“ERRRRRRRRR!!!!” 

 

A man stood near the center of a plaza, overcome by rage. 

 

“I’M DONE WITH THIS WORLD—IT’S COMPLETE SHIT! EVERYONE HERE IS TRASH…ALL HUMANS ARE TRASH!!!!!” 

 

The eyes of the plaza one by one began to settle on him, his white hair reflecting the sun brightly. Engulfed in fury, he slammed both fists into the pavement, shattering it into rubble. The broken cement started to slither up his arms, encasing them. He turned and jumped into the crowd that had formed in the distance, smashing into them with his fists. 

 

Those who weren’t killed ran screaming in all directions.

 

30 MINUTES LATER

 

Just as they were finishing up their meal, Oliver screamed in pain. “Ah, shit!” he yelled, pulling on his sleeve.

 

“What? What’s wrong?” Marilyn asked. Both girls looked alert. 

 

“Nah, it’s nothi—OW. SHIT!!” He pulled up the sleeve of his hoodie. Red marks were scrawled up and down his forearm. “What the hell?!”

 

Marilyn leaned over and deciphered it. “O-OH SHIT,” she said, jumping out of the booth. 

 

“Wh-what?!”

She yanked him out by his arm. “OLIVER, WE HAVE TO GO!!”

 

“SHIT, MARILYN, THAT HURTS!!!”

 

“I DON’T CARE!!! WE HAVE TO HURRY!!!” She yanked him out of the building with May following close behind. She led them away into a reclusive alley. Looking behind her, once she saw that no one was there she opened a portal. 

 

“Marilyn, what the hell is going on?!?” Oliver asked. 

 

She threw the door open. “There’s a demon attacking the city,” she answered, pulling him in. May ran to catch them before the door shut. As they ran through, they found themselves in the center of the city, near the plaza. Looking around, Marilyn saw that she’d opened the door right in the middle of the action. 

 

Shit… she thought.

 

A nearby police officer turned and saw them. “HEY! FREEZE!!” 

 

“SHIT!” She jumped back as the officer lunged for them. He grabbed for her again and she pushed him back forcefully. The power made him stop. 

 

“What the hell?” he asked himself.

 

She turned to face him. “Get the hell out of here!” she yelled. “This is gonna get bad!”

 

The officer furrowed his brows. “Little girl, you need to get out of here right now! This is a man’s job!” 

 

“You need to get out of here!” Marilyn screamed.

 

Behind her, the demon spotted the officer. They made eye contact. “Little girl, MOVE,” the officer yelled, pushing her out of harm's way. He pulled out his pistol and shot at him. Each of the shots hit him but did nothing. 

 

“HEY, THAT HURTS!!!!” he screamed. He rushed forward and punched the officer, sending him flying. 

 

“SHIT!” Marilyn yelled as Oliver ran up to confront him. 

 

“Wh-what the hell are you doing?!?” Oliver yelled. He had to look up to face him. 

 

“SHUT UP, HUMAN!!!!!” He tried to hit Oliver, but the punch didn’t even move him. “Huh??” 

 

Oliver charged his arm and hit him in the gut. 

 

“AAHHHHRRRRRR!!!!” His eyes flared. He began to slam his fists into the ground, destroying the pavement. Oliver watched as the rocks clung to his arms, forming gloves of cement. He swung wildly at Oliver, but Oliver dodged every punch. 

 

“Dude, what the hell is your problem?!” he yelled.

 

“SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP!!!!!!!”

 

Right in between them, a balloon flew past. “Come back, balloon!” they heard. 

 

They both turned and saw a little boy a distance away, being pulled by his mother away from the scene. Oliver looked up and saw the smile on his face, instantly knowing what he was thinking. 

 

They both charged at the kid. The man slammed his fist into Oliver’s chest as he jumped in front of the kid just in time. 

 

“WHAT THE FUCK??!!!!!” Oliver screamed at him. 

 

They stared each other down. Oliver bared his teeth and charged up his arm, slamming the man back dozens of feet with a yell. He hit the floor and rolled into the pole of a streetlight. Oliver grabbed the balloon and handed it to the kid. 

 

“Get out of here, NOW!” he urged. The kid didn’t need to be told twice. He ran to his mom as they both took off to safety. 

 

Meanwhile, the officer recovered in the distance, pulling himself over to the man. “FREEZE!!” he yelled, pointing his gun at him. The man shook off Oliver’s blow and realized the officer facing him down. Anger washed over him, and he got up to attack. The officer fired on him. Once, twice. 

 

He screamed in pain, but it didn’t stop him. It only angered him more. He leaned forward and bent his knees, mouth foaming. 

 

“WAIT, NO!!!” Oliver screamed. 

 

He ran to stop what he knew was coming, but was too late. The man blasted forward, raising his fists and slamming the officer into the pavement. 

 

His gravelly, enlarged fists were soaked in red, dripping from the impact. Oliver stood, mouth agape. The man grabbed what was left of the body of the officer, tossing it sloppily in Oliver’s direction. It landed a few feet away and rolled to Oliver’s feet. All Oliver could do was look down. 

 

His staccato thoughts attempted to deconstruct what he saw into simpler, easier-to-chew ideas. All he could think in the rapidity of the moment was the similarities this man’s body had to a beetle that had been accidentally and partially stepped on before the person retracted their foot in disgust. 

 

His face was smashed beyond recognition. All that was left was red. Red. All Oliver could see was red. All he made out was red. Red and white, and the dark purple of the blood-soaked uniform. His hands shook. 

 

“OLIVER!” Marilyn screamed. 

 

Something changed inside him. He was frozen. 

 

“FINALLY! THAT’S WHAT YOU GET, HUMAN!!” the man yelled triumphantly. Marilyn snarled and charged at him, slamming a fist into his face, knocking him down again. She ran over to Oliver, who was now crumpled on the floor, staring at the mess. 

 

“Oliver, Oliver—hey, Oliver!” She tried shaking him, but he didn’t register. His eyes were glazed over. Marilyn bit her lip, looking around nervously. She spotted May standing in the distance, in shock but not incapacitated. Delicate though she was, even she had seen brutality like this…on more than one occasion. Oliver had not. 

 

Marilyn picked up his body and yelled out to May, tossing him with control as May caught him. “Take care of him!!” Marilyn yelled. “I’ll deal with this asshole!” 

 

Meanwhile, the man got up yet again. Now he was beyond pissed. “You BITCH,” he screamed hoarsely, turning to Marilyn. She prepared herself for the fight. 

 

Meanwhile, May knelt, still holding Oliver in her hands as he rest on the floor. She was next to the rubble of a building, so she had to maneuver him so he wouldn’t lay on the broken glass. “H-hey, Oliver,” she said, trying to sound normal. He stared off, laying rigidly in her arms. He looked dead. May’s heart caught in her throat for a moment—was he even alive? She checked…his heart was still beating, but the pace was too quick for comfort. 

 

“Oh, Oliver…please be okay,” she cried, hugging him to her chest. He was cold and speckled with sweat. Marilyn and the man fought violently in the background, shaking the ground and destroying the surrounding area. But all she could do was hold him. Tears ran down her face…she didn’t want anything to happen to him…she didn’t want him to die…

 

May…

 

“Huh?” May asked. It was the voice. 

 

May, you need to make him drink your blood, it said soothingly. 

 

“Huh? B-but why?”

 

T-trust me, it stuttered, if you want to save him, you need to do it.

 

The concept of using blood for things was new to May…it was unheard of among the angels…and she wasn’t bleeding right now, which meant she’d have to make herself bleed…

 

She looked into Oliver’s placid eyes. 

 

“If…if it’s to save Oliver, th-then I’ll do it,” she said with shaky confidence. She picked up one of the larger shards of glass on the floor. 

 

May held it up to her finger, hesitated, then winced as she sliced it open. The cut had to be deep enough…she didn’t know how much blood Oliver needed to drink. She put her finger in Oliver’s mouth and closed it. “Please be okay…” she said. 

 

Inside Oliver’s head, nothing happened. Everything was blank, like TV static. 

 

“Oliver,” he heard a voice say in the void. 

 

Suddenly, he was back at home. His old home. It felt so different…yet so familiar. Then he saw the source of the voice. Standing in the middle of the kitchen—the kitchen he grew up in—was his mom. Just like he remembered her. Before…

 

“M-mom?” he asked. 

 

She smiled, pulling him into a hug. She smelled just like she used to…she smelled like his mom. “Oliver,” she said, kissing his forehead. He clung to her like he used to. “Oliver…I know you’re going to be a hero one day,” she said, clutching the back of his head. 

 

“M-mom…” he said, starting to cry. “You…You don’t know how much I missed you—” his voice broke off into sobs. He cried into his mom’s shoulder, clinging to her as if he would never let go. 

 

She closed her eyes painfully. “Don’t cry, Oliver…everything’s gonna be okay. He continued to cry, though. Everything…it was all too much. All the memories. That horrible night…

 

She grabbed his shoulders and pulled back, looking him in the eyes. “Oliver, listen,” she said. “Be a hero for me.” She pleaded with her eyes. He stopped crying, stifling a sob as he watched his mom’s eyes glitter. “Make me proud, Oliver,” she said. 

 

In the distance, he could hear someone call his name. That was when he felt it—the pull. Something pulled him. The room started to fade, slowly, into meaningless thoughts and colors. His mom started to look fuzzy around the edges, blurred like a watercolor. 

 

“Make me proud, Oliver,” she repeated. 

 

“I-I will, Mom! I promise!!” 

 

She smiled and blurred together with the colors of his home, his memories. Everything eventually faded into meaningless abstraction. A shake jolted him and forced him to open his eyes. 

 

He gasped, blinking in the light. He was awake. He had been asleep? Was it a dream, then? It…it felt like a dream…but more clear than any dream he’d ever had. 

 

“Oliver!” May said. He was conscious now. The glaze had left his eyes. 

 

“May?” he asked. He looked around. Where was—? He saw Marilyn in the distance fighting a man made of stone…and then he remembered. The man. The kid. 

 

The officer. 

 

The last thought knotted his stomach for a moment, but the thought of his mom’s word immediately shook it away. He stood up with newfound energy. 

 

“Thanks, May,” he said, stepping out of her grasp. He turned to help Marilyn, who looked like she needed some assistance. 

 

“W-wait, Oliver!!” she yelled, standing up and grabbing his arm. “You c-can’t just go over there! It’s not safe!” He could see the fear in her eyes. The care. 

 

“Don’t worry,” he smiled. “Everything’s gonna be okay.” The confidence he radiated wasn’t enough to soothe her, though. But he was determined. He turned and ran towards the battle. 

 

“OLIVER!” she screamed after him. 

 

He ran over just as Marilyn was recovering from a blow. Both of them looked battered, but not too badly. “Shit, what the hell happened?” Oliver asked.

 

She spun around. “Oh, Oliver—you’re back,” she said, relieved. “Don’t worry, all the civilians got away safely, so you don’t have to worry about that.”

 

“Okay,” Oliver said, looking over at the man. “Go rest—I’ve got this!!”

 

She nodded. “Okay. I believe in you, Oliver!!!” She ran off towards May, who was watching Oliver with shaky intensity. 

 

Meanwhile, Oliver was watching his opponent. More of his body—almost his entire body—was covered in broken pavement and small rocks. Noting the change in who he was fighting, and furious that this black-haired punk was back in the fight, the man ran towards Oliver. He went to punch him, but Oliver dodged in time. Oliver charged his arm and hit the man in the gut. Unlike the other times, though, nothing happened. The man didn’t even flinch. 

 

“Come on, human—is that all you’ve got?” he taunted. 

 

Confused, Oliver tried it again, this time in the chest, but nothing. Over and over…nothing. The man just laughed and watched. 

Shit, Oliver thought. It was the rocks—they covered almost every part of him now. 

 

“What’s wrong, human?” he asked. “Does hitting rocks hurt?” He balled a massive fist and smashed it into Oliver, sending him through the air with a FWOOSH past May and Marilyn and crashing into a wall. 

 

“OLIVER!!!” May screamed. 

 

But Oliver wouldn’t give up that easily. He pulled himself up, shaking off the dust and running back into the fight. He charged his arm one more time and hit the man, but nothing. Again. 

 

Oliver growled. What was he supposed to do now?? 

 

The man just laughed and hit Oliver again, like a kid hitting a baseball…only if his first was the bat. This time when Oliver slammed into the same wall, his head made direct and instant contact. And this guy was strong—stronger than Xbot. Oliver could feel the blood start to leak down the back of his neck.

 

“A-ah…shit…” he muttered, lifting a hand to the back of his head. When he pulled it back, his fingers were covered in blood. His vision started to blur…he had to get up, he had to fight! But…everything just started to…

 

Hey! Kid! Wake up!!!

 

“H-huh?” Oliver asked. It was a voice in his head. A male voice. Was it his?

 

You’re almost there, kid! It urged. It definitely wasn’t his voice. Whatever you do, do NOT fall asleep!! 

 

Oliver didn’t know what it was, but it was right. He didn’t have time to think about it. “Alright,” Oliver said, starting to get up. His legs shook uneasily as he attempted to stand. 

 

“A feisty one!” the man yelled condescendingly. “I like you, human!!!” He started to run at Oliver from a few hundred feet away. 

 

Oliver reflexively went to charge his arm—it was the only thing he could think of. 

 

No! The voice said. Don’t hit him!

 

“What??”

 

Keep charging it! No matter what, just keep charging that arm. That’s the only way you can beat him. 

 

Oliver watched as the man barreled toward him like a truck. “Shit…” he muttered, bracing himself. The man landed an uppercut, decimating Oliver’s jaw and sending him flying into the air. Blood fell from his mouth and landed on the floor beneath him. 

 

“Don’t you dare give up, Oliver!!” Marilyn yelled. 

 

His entire body ached, begging to fade out of consciousness, but the voice urged him on. Oliver, don’t let go of that fist!! When you hit the floor, DON’T let go of the pressure—you have to push the pressure out of your fist when you hit him! 

 

Oliver landed on the floor, clenching his arm as tightly as he could, not releasing the pressure. He landed hard on his left shoulder. The man watched him, laughing as he made his way over.

 

Now throw a punch!! it said. 

 

“What, with the pressure??” Oliver asked. 

 

Yes!! Do it now!!!

 

Oliver had never done this with a fist—it was always with an open arm. But his arm was already searing, throbbing from the amount of energy built up inside. “Shit…this is gonna hurt like a bitch,” he muttered to himself. 

 

As the white-haired man got closer, confident now that he could beat this black-haired “human,” Oliver thrust his arm back. “ERRRRRRRRR!!!!” he screamed, writhing. The pain was excruciating—like his arm had 20 tons it was trying to hold back. 

 

You’re almost there, kid! Just a little more!! 

 

His knees nearly buckled from the intensity. Oliver used everything he had to thrust his elbow back as far as he could, and swing, pushing what felt like thousands of pounds of energy. “AAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!”

 

A blue shockwave of energy blasted out of Oliver’s knuckles, slamming into the man. All of the rocks on his body shattered, falling off like debris, and knocked him backward, slamming into the metal beam of an exposed building and knocking him out.  

 

The Shockwave also dislocated Oliver’s shoulder. He attempted to grab it with his other hand but just collapsed to the floor with exhaustion. Both of them were out cold. 

 

“YESS!!!” Marilyn cheered. She got up and ran over to Oliver, picking him up. “It’s okay, Oliver, I’m here!!!” 

 

With all of the action at rest, a dusty silence fell over the plaza. Until Marilyn heard hurried footsteps. She turned around to see who they were coming from. 

 

It was Ayaka. 

 

“Ralph!” she yelled, walking over to his body. “Dammit, Ralph!! I told you to stick to the plan, you dumbass, and now look at you! You lost!!” Ayaka looked around at all of the destruction…until she spotted Marilyn. 

 

“You!!” she yelled, walking over the rubble. “Aren’t you Oliver’s friend?”

 

Marilyn discreetly dropped Oliver behind her. “Yeah.”

 

She looked around. “Well what the hell are you doing here?” she asked. 

 

“Um…wh-what are you doing here?” Marilyn asked back. 

 

Ayaka’s voice rose. “It’s none of your business!! And you better tell me why you’re here, or else!!!” 

 

“Or else what?”

 

“I’ll kill you!” she yelled. 

 

Marilyn scoffed. “I’d love to see you try!”

 

“Alright then.” She smiled and closed her eyes

 

At first, nothing happened. They both just stood there. Then, a red mist appeared around Ayaka, encircling her feet and legs. The mist turned into a thick fog and dispersed further away from her. She tilted her head back as two horns grew out of the top of her head. 

 

Marilyn’s face dropped. “O-oh shit…she’s a demon…and she’s in berserk mode…” she mumbled, taking a step back. “Sh-she can control it, too…fuck!” 

 

“What’s wrong? You scared?” Ayaka said with a smile. 

 

“I-I have to make this quick!” Marilyn yelled. She burst into a sprint, running over to Ayaka and rapidly hitting her. Every punch hit, but they did nothing. It was like Ayaka’s skin was made of steel. She had to keep trying, though. She hit her again, again, again, again—but nothing. 

 

Ayaka effortlessly took Marilyn by the neck, holding her up in the air with one hand. Her windpipe was blocked. Marilyn grabbed at Ayaka’s hand, clawing it and trying to squirm free, but her berserk mode was in full effect—she had a grip like iron.

 

She laughed as Marilyn’s face began to drain of its color. “Ha. Pretty pathetic,” she scoffed. 

 

Marilyn dug her fingernails into Ayaka’s hand desperately. She was dying. She ached for air, starting to feel her body panic. Nothing she did loosened Ayaka’s grip. This couldn’t be it…this couldn’t be how it ended…

 

Shit…I…didn’t think this would be the way I’d go…

 

Ayaka grinned, flashing her fangs triumphantly. 

 

Marilyn’s vision started to go spotty, then blurred, then black…

 

But just as she started to fade, Oliver slammed Ayaka with a charged left palm, sending her flying through the air. He awkwardly caught Marilyn as she collapsed from her grip, gasping for air. 

 

“O-Oliver??” she gasped. 

 

He looked exhausted, covered in dirt and blood. “Shit, am I dreaming, or is that Ayaka?” he asked distractedly. 

 

“You’re not dreaming, that’s her!!” 

 

“Shit…” he muttered. Oliver didn’t have the energy to think about it. He pulled up his hood, ready to end this. He turned and ran towards Ayaka, kicking her through a plate-glass window. 

 

She collided with a shelf, the contents falling over her head. She growled. “This demon is strong,” she muttered. “I’m in berserk mode and can still feel his hits.” She got up from the mess and charged back through the window, flying through the plaza. She and Oliver began to fight, hands throwing and dodging too quickly for May to see which one was winning. 

 

Oliver’s right arm was practically useless, and using his left arm was definitely not something he had prepared for. He barely kept up with her. 

 

He grabbed a punch she had aimed for him and threw her back, giving him a second to take a better look at her. 

 

“Horns??!” he exclaimed. 

 

“She’s in berserk mode!!” Marilyn yelled from the side. 

 

“Shit…she can feel my hits, but it’s not affecting her!!”

 

She knew he was right. Marilyn thought…there had to be something she could do. She looked at May and gasped. 

 

“Hang on, Oliver! I’ve got a plan!” She turned to May. “May,” she said, “you can make lightning, right??”

 

“Um, y-yeah,” she answered, eyes wide. 

 

“Perfect! Okay, I need you to make a really weak lightning bolt for me.”

 

May looked from Oliver to Marilyn. “O-okay…” she said. She looked to the sky and lifted her hands. Marilyn watched as dark clouds started to form above them. She smiled.

 

“Okay, May—now make a bolt hit me!”

 

She looked at her slowly. “Wh-what…?” 

 

“I said to make one of those clouds strike me with lightning!!” she yelled.

 

“Wh-what? But it—?”

 

“SHUT UP AND DO IT, BITCH!!!!” 

 

May scowled and narrowed her eyes at Marilyn. Without holding back, she struck Marilyn with a bolt of lightning. The power surged through her body exorbitantly. 

 

“Shit…YES,” she screamed. Marilyn ran over to Ayaka and let loose, hitting her rapidly without break. As the hits went on they started to get slower, until the last punch. 

 

But Ayaka stood, unaffected. 

 

“Shit.”

 

Ayaka laughed. “I barely even felt it,” she boasted. 

 

But just then, Oliver threw two charged palms at Ayaka, smacking her head back and knocking the horns out of her skull. 

 

“WH-WHAT THE HELL?!!” Marilyn yelled.

 

Meanwhile, Marilyn’s final attack was starting to take effect. Before Ayaka could even process what had happened, it looked like she was getting attacked by thin air. Nothing was attacking her, but she was still getting attacked. 

 

She swayed for a few moments, staggering lightly before collapsing to the floor. 

 

The two of them caught their breaths. 

 

“What a weird mission, huh Oliver?” Marilyn asked with a smile, holding onto her knees. 

 

Oliver nodded, feeling lightheaded himself. “Yeah…I can’t believe Ayaka is a demon…”

 

“It’s ok! Our mission is just to send them to prison—not kill them.”

 

“Demon prison?” asked Oliver.

 

“Yup!” 

 

Oliver looked down at her. His friend was a demon…and he never even suspected it. If one of his own friends could be a demon this whole time…what else might he not know about the people around him? He picked up Ayaka and slung her over his shoulder, his arms aching from all they had endured that day. 

 

FLASH

 

Oliver looked back, surprised. Standing there, in awe of all the destruction and with a camera in hand, he recognized her immediately. 

 

Naomi. 

 

“SHIT!” he yelled, pulling his hood even further over his head. 

 

“Yes!! I got such a big scoop today!” Naomi cheered. “Hey, you two!!” she yelled. “Would you mind if I asked you a few questions? It’s for the school paper!!” 

 

Stunned for a second, Oliver spun around and darted away from the plaza. “MARILYN! MAY! HURRY UP!!!!” he screamed. They snapped to and sprung into action. 

 

“H-hey, wait!!!” Naomi yelled after them. 

 

Marilyn and May chased after Oliver. May opened her wings, and Marilyn scooped up the white-haired man as she ran. May picked up Marilyn and May, and the three of them soared up through the air. 

 

Click! Click! Click! Naomi took picture after picture, hardly believing what she was seeing. 

 

“Shit!” Oliver yelled. “She’s getting a lot of pictures!!” 

 

“Don’t worry, I’ve got this!” May yelled back. To both of their surprise, May threw Oliver and Marilyn up into the sky. 

 

“MAY, WHAT THE FUCKKKKKK!!!!” Marilyn screamed. 

 

Just as quickly, May made a golden, ethereal bow appear. She grabbed it, pulled an arrow back, and let go, making the bow disappear with it. The arrow sailed downwards, hitting Naomi’s camera and shattering it. 

 

May flew up and grabbed the two of them, continuing to fly away. 

 

“No!!” Naomi cried. She looked over the remains of her camera. “That wasn’t cheap, either…” 

 

End of chapter 18

4