Chapter Twenty, Demon Payday
69 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After a long day of school, Oliver, Marilyn, and May walked through the gates and started to head home. They had hardly walked a few feet before May clasped onto Oliver’s arm, digging her fingers into his hoodie with a sense of urgency. He had a feeling of what was coming. 

 

He motioned for her to be quiet and turned back slowly. Sure enough, they were there. 

 

“Yes!” Oliver whispered, switching glances with Marilyn. 

 

“This is gonna be good,” she said, rubbing her hands together eagerly. 

 

The two of them laughed knowingly while May still clung to Oliver, confused and scared. She didn’t know why they were back again.  

 

“O-Oliver…let’s just go,” she said. 

 

“No, it’s okay May,” he said. “I’ve seen what they’ve been doing to you. They fucked up, and it’s payback time.” 

 

Three guys turned Oliver around. The one in the middle made a grab for May’s arm. 

 

“Aye man, that’s my girl. The fuck you think you’re doing with her?” 

 

She pulled her arm back and nestled herself next to Oliver. “I-I’m Oliver’s girl, not yours!”

 

“Yeah,” Oliver smirked. “She’s mine.”

 

The three of them busted up laughing. The center one composed himself, saying, “Aye man, look. I don’t wanna fuck you up, so how about you just hand her over, and we’ll leave.”

 

Oliver’s turn to laugh. “Nah, I think I’m good.”

 

His face darkened. “It wasn’t a question.” He attempted to grab Marilyn’s arm before Oliver smacked it away. 

 

“Lay a fucking finger on her one more time. I dare you.” They stood nose to nose. 

 

“Alright.” He snatched Marilyn’s wrist and twisted it, making her scream. 

 

In an instant Oliver made a fist and swung. 

 

“OLIVER NO!” Marilyn screamed. “DON’T PUNCH HIM!!!”

 

The pure terror in her voice was enough to shock Oliver into releasing his fist. A hard slap rocked the guy’s nose as blood gushed out. He fell to the floor, gripping 

 

“You idiot!” Marilyn yelled. “What the hell were you trying to do, dumbass?? Kill him??” She socked Oliver in the face. 

 

“AH, SHIT—THAT HURT, MARILYN!” he screamed, grabbing his face. 

 

May gasped. “Hey!” she yelled, running over. She pushed Marilyn away and ran up to Oliver. “Are you okay?” she asked. 

 

He rubbed his jaw, wondering if Marilyn had broken it. May took that has a no. She hugged him and kissed his cheek on the spot where Marilyn hit him. 

 

Oliver froze. 

 

“Feel better, Oliver?” 

 

He blushed and smiled. “U-uh, yeah! T-thanks” 

 

May’s turn to blush. She let go and Oliver walked over to the leader, who was still on the floor. 

 

As he stood over, the leader cowered. “w-WAIT, NO! P-PLEASE! I’M SORRY!”

 

“Man, shut up,” Oliver said, hoisting him up. “Clean yourself up, get out of here—and don’t you even think about fucking with her ever again. Got it?” 

 

“Y-yeah…s-sorry, Oliver—let’s just forget about this.”

 

Oliver sighed. “It’s just whatever, man,” he said, walking away. “See you guys in school.” 

 

The three of them were about to leave, but Oliver stopped. He turned back around. 

 

“Oh, and if you see anyone trying to do the same shit you guys pulled…make sure to warn them for me.”

 

“Yeah…sure thing, b-boss,” the ex-leader stuttered. The other two nodded in agreement. 

 

“Good. Now go home and watch some damn TV or something.”

 

“O-okay, will do-!” he said, and the three of them hurried away. 

 

Oliver and Marilyn broke into laughter as soon as they were gone. 

 

LATER

 

Naomi painstakingly sorted through the clothes in her closet, over and over again. Her mom walked in to see her sigh and start over again. 

 

“Honey? What are you doing?” she asked. Naomi hesitated, making her mom smile. “Let me guess,” she said, “you’re gonna go to the mall with Oliver.”

 

Her eyes widened. “H-how did you know??” 

 

She laughed again. “Oliver is the only person that can get you to dress up! You wouldn’t even dress up for your little cousin’s birthday party.”

 

“Well,” Naomi blushed, “dressing up is a waste of time.” 

 

“Well then why are you dressing up for Oliver?” she asked. 

 

“Um…b-because I feel like it!”

 

She shook her head, smiling. “Well at least let me help you!” 

 

“Really?” she asked. 

 

“Of course, hun! I know how it feels to really be in love with someone.” She sighed, sitting down on Naomi’s bed. “Back in the day, I was so in love with your Dad—like you love Oliver. He was such a great man,” she went on. “He was thoughtful…caring…and just a great person. A lot of girls were crazy about him, but I was the one he had his eye on.” 

 

“We loved each other for a long time, actually. But it took us five years to get together since we were so shy,” she laughed distantly. 

 

Naomi listened silently. 

 

“...I really miss your Dad. He was…he was the love of my life.” She looked up at Naomi. “Pursue Oliver,” she said. “If you want him, go for it. You never know how he feels. Just…” she broke off. “Just get with him. Start a life with him before it’s too late.”

 

She didn’t know what to say. 

 

“...Dad was a cop, right?” 

 

“Yeah,” her Mom said. “He was a great man…”

 

“Well, I didn’t really know him, so…I wouldn’t know.” 

 

Her mom nodded knowingly. “Well…just know he was a hero,” she said. “He saved a lot of people before he died. Even when he died…he died saving someone.” She had Naomi’s attention. 

 

“A kid was about to be shot, but your Dad risked his own life to save him. The…the last thing he told me before he died was to not let anyone stop you. If he had to leave this world, he wanted to leave thinking about you. He didn’t even meet you yet, but even then, all he cared about was you…”

 

Naomi watched her Mom’s face. She was seeing a different side of her—normally, her mom was upbeat and optimistic. Now she looked…lonely. Sad. 

 

She gave her a hug. The two of them held each other in silence for a while. 

 

“Mom…I’ve only got an hour to get ready…” Naomi said. 

 

“Oh!” she laughed, pulling out of the hug. “Sorry hun, I forgot!” 

 

MEANWHILE

 

Back at Oliver’s apartment, the three of them walked in. 

 

“Okay guys, imma go shower,” he called. 

 

“Okay,” Marilyn called back. 

 

The two girls hung around the house for half an hour until Oliver got out, dressed, calling “Okay, I’ll see you guys later!” as he walked towards the door. 

 

“What?!?” May yelled.

 

Marilyn continued watching TV, unfazed. “Okay, have fun!”

 

“Wh-where are you going, Oliver??” 

 

“Oh, I’m going to the mall with Naomi,” he said. 

 

“W-wait, wha—”

 

“Ou ou! Can you bring me home a pizza??” Marilyn asked.

 

“Sure! You want something, May?”

 

May hesitated. “No, I don’t want anything…”

 

“Alright then. See you guys later!” 

 

May walked over to Marilyn as she was watching the TV, obstructing her view. “Are you just gonna let him go??” May demanded. 

 

“Uh, yeah.”

 

“Wh-what?! Why!??”

 

“Cuz. He’s just going with a friend.”

 

“T-that’s a girl!” she said, flustered. 

 

“So? I’m a girl too. And so what, he can have other friends—even girl ones.” 

 

“Marilyn!” she reprimanded, sitting down on the couch next to her. “Just watch—Oliver is gonna forget all about you!”

 

“What?? No!” 

 

“If he ends up getting with that girl, he will!”

 

Marilyn gave it a thought. 

 

“Okay, let’s go.”

 

LATER

 

Marilyn and May watched Oliver from a distance inside the mall. 

 

“Look! There he is!” May whispered as they hid out of view. 

 

“Hello young lady!” 

 

May turned over. Standing there was Marilyn, donned in a black fake mustache. 

 

“M…Marilyn? What…is that?”

 

“I’m not Marilyn! I’m Juan!”

 

May rolled her eyes and went back to watching Oliver. He watched as a nervous, dolled-up Naomi approached him. 

 

“Hey Oliver!” she said nervously. 

 

“Th-that can’t be Naomi!! She looks so different!” May whispered.

 

“Hmmmm…that is one nice young lady,” Juan said. 

 

Once Oliver and Naomi started to walk around the store, May and Juan followed, making sure to stay out of view. May noticed Naomi kept trying to hold Oliver’s hand, but it would always move away. Eventually they walked into the arcade. 

 

Juan gasped. “Games!!” he cried. 

 

“C’mon! Let’s go follow them!” May grabbed Juan’s arm as she ran after them. May stayed to watch the two of them while Juan ran off to play a game. 

 

As May watched Oliver and Naomi have fun—watched Oliver laugh and have a good time with her—she felt something she had never felt before. Naomi stood by as Oliver played a claw machine and won, giving her the stuffed animal. 

 

May felt a pang of sadness. It prompted her to turn to Juan. “I…I think we should go ho—” But she realized she was alone. She looked around. Suddenly she heard cheers coming from outside the arcade. “What the…?” 

 

Walking outside the arcade, May saw a crowd gathered around with loud music playing. She took a closer look and realized it was Marilyn—she was dancing with a human. The two of them competed as the crowd watched, cheering and throwing money into the man’s hat. 

 

Just then, Oliver and Naomi noticed the commotion and went to check it out. 

 

“Oh no!” May said to herself. She busted through the crowd and grabbed Marilyn. “Marilyn, we gotta go! Oliver and Naomi are coming, they might see you!!” 

 

“OH SHIT!” she yelled. “I’m sorry, I gotta go!” she said to the man she was dancing with. She turned to run until he stopped her. 

 

“Hey, wait!” he yelled. “Here. You beat me, girl. Nice moves!” 

 

He handed her the hat full of money. 

 

“Thanks!” she said as she took it. The two of them ran out of the mall, breathing heavily. 

 

Naomi and Oliver stood confused as the crowd dispersed. 

 

“What the hell?” Oliver said, looking around. 

 

“Umm…What happened?” 

 

Neither of them knew, but didn’t dwell on it. 

 

“Well, anyway,” Naomi said, “you wanna get something to eat? My treat.”

 

“Sure!” 

 

They walked over to the food court. After about an hour, they both finished the meal Naomi bought. 

 

“So, Oliver,” Naomi started, “um…can I ask you something?” 

 

“Yeah, sure,” he said. 

 

“Okay. Um…” She took a few deep breaths, hoping he wouldn’t hear the nervous shake in her voice. “D-do you have a…”

 

“Um, a what?” he asked. 

 

She took one more deep breath. “A gir—” 

 

BZZT-BZZT. BZZT-BZZT. 

It was Naomi’s phone. “Sorry, Oliver, one second!” she said, picking it up. “Hello?”

 

“Naomi?” a voice she didn’t recognize asked. “It’s me, A—”

 

She hung up. She didn’t want to ruin the moment. She could call whoever it was back later. 

 

“Ugh, these stupid scam calls,” she said to Oliver. 

 

“Yeah. So what did you wanna ask me?”

 

“Oh. Right. Well, I wanted to ask…if you…have a girlfriend?”

 

“Nah,” he said nonchalantly. She blinked a few times. 

 

“Then…why do you always hang out with that Marilyn girl?”

 

“Because she’s my friend,” he smiled. 

 

“Oh…I guess that makes sense…” She couldn’t believe how worked up she had gotten over nothing. 

 

“Why do you ask?” Oliver questioned. 

 

Naomi froze up. Was this it? Would now be the time? She thought about what her Mom had told her earlier…

 

“Well…because—”

 

BZZZZZZT. BZZZZZZT. 

 

Oliver picked up his phone. “Hello?”

 

“Oliver, where are you??” Marilyn asked. “I’m still waiting for my pizza!” 

 

“Shit! I forgot I said I’d get you one!”

 

“Well do it and come home—I’m starving!”

 

“Okay,” he said, hanging up. He got up and walked away without saying a word. 

 

Naomi sat there watching him. 

 

“There’s no way Marilyn isn’t his girlfriend,” she said to herself as he ordered her a pizza.

 

On the walk home, Oliver asked, “Hey, what do you think about the new guy?”

 

“Which one?”

 

“Blonde hair, blue eyes.”

 

“Oh. That one.”

 

Their feet synchronized as they walked down the dusky sidewalk, footsteps echoing in the dim, empty streets. 

 

“Well,” she said. “I haven’t talked to him.”

 

“Really? I thought you did,” he said. 

 

“What makes you think that?”

 

“When I went to throw my trash away earlier, I saw him sitting across from you at the table.”

 

Naomi hadn’t even noticed. “No, we didn’t talk. I didn’t even know he was there.”

 

“Oh,” Oliver said. They continued to walk to Naomi’s house. “Well, I think he hates me. I don’t know why—it’s not like I did anything to him.”

 

“Hm…maybe he saw you doing something he didn’t like or something,” she suggested. “I dunno. Maybe you should ask him.”

 

“Nah. That’d probably make him hate me even more.”

 

They walked up to Naomi’s house. 

 

“Well…I had fun today!” Naomi said with a smile. Everything was dark and empty. It felt like they were the only two people on the planet.

 

“Yeah,” Oliver said, “I did too!” 

 

They stood for a moment in the moonlight. 

 

Naomi hugged Oliver quickly in a moment of impulse. “Bye, see you tomorrow, Oliver!” she said, trying to hide her blush. 

 

“Bye!” he smiled. 

 

She smiled back and scampered to her door. She tore off her shoes, ran to her bed, and rolled over on it, hugging the plushie Oliver gave her. Naomi’s mom walked into the room to see her. 

 

“What are—?” 

 

Naomi noticed her mom. 

 

“Oliver?” she asked. 

 

Naomi blushed. “U-um…” 

 

Her mom laughed endearingly. 

 

MEANWHILE

 

Oliver walked home, pizza in hand. “Yeah…it has been a long time, huh Naomi…” he said to himself. He hadn’t realized how long it had been since they last hung out. 

 

He was alone on the street save for one girl, walking in his direction with her head lowered. Apart from a black hoodie and jeans, he couldn’t make out any of her features. 

 

As she got closer to Oliver, she walked right into him and fell back on the floor. He just stood there. 

 

“Shit…” he muttered, “you ok?” 

 

Her brown hair fell out of her hoodie and over her face. “Yeah,” she mumbled. 

 

He held out his hand to help her up. She took it, and he pulled her up. 

 

“Tha—” she was about to say. But Oliver was already gone, hurrying down the sidewalk. 

 

“Shit—if this pizza gets cold, Marilyn will kill me!” The girl watched as he practically ran down the sidewalk. 

 

When he eventually made it home, he opened the door, saying, “I’m home!” He checked the oven clock—7:59 p.m. Shit, I was gone for that long?!? 

 

May walked out to meet him. “Welcome home…” she said. He couldn’t help but notice something seemed off about her. 

 

“Hey!” he said, “What’s—?”

 

“Ollie!!” a little girl yelled, running up to him for a hug. 

 

“SH-SHIT!” he yelled. 

 

“I missed you, Oliver!” she said, squeezing him. 

 

“What are you doing here, Maxine?!?” he yelled. 

 

“I’m here to see you!” 

 

It had been a long time since he had seen his little sister. He noticed she was a little taller, and her hair a little longer. 

 

“You’re here alone?” he asked. 

 

“Yeah, Mom said I’m gonna stay for a week, since she and Dad have to do something for work!”

 

“They know where I live?” he asked. “How??”

 

“They don’t—that blue-haired girl brought me here!” she said. 

 

“WHAT?? MARILYN!!!” 

 

“Yeah?” Marilyn asked, running into the living room. 

 

“Why did you bring my little sister here??!?” he demanded. 

 

“Because your mom told me to,” she said. 

 

“Yeah,” Maxine chimed in, “Mom talked to her.”

 

“What?? Marilyn, I thought you were at home this whole time!”

 

“Nope. I went to the store to pick something up and ran into your Mom on the way home. She asked if Maxine could stay with you and if you could take care of her.”

 

“Shit…”

 

“Oh, and she asked if you could drop her off at 8 a.m. for school.”

 

“What?!? I don’t even have enough room for her!” he yelled. He tried to take all of this in, and come to some sort of a solution. “Marilyn, go sleep at your house today!” 

 

“Oh yeah…” she said, twirling her foot. “I forgot to tell you that I…sold my house.”

 

“You WHAT??”

 

“I sold it so I can live with you!!” 

 

“B-but you had a big ass house!!” he stammered. 

 

“Yeah, but I…sold it…”

 

He groaned. Maxine piped up. 

 

“It’s ok, Ollie—I’ll just sleep in your bed!”

 

“What!??” he flushed. 

 

“What?”

 

“What do you mean what? I’m a guy!!”

 

She folded her arms. “So what? You’re my brother. It’s not weird.”

 

“Yeah but you’re older now!! You can’t be sleeping with me like when you were a kid.”

 

“Why not??” she countered. 

 

“B-because it’s weird!!” 

 

“Ughhhhhhhhh—Oliver, it’s fine.”

 

Marilyn interrupted. “I like this girl,” she smiled. 

 

“Oh yeah—here’s your pizza,” he said, handing it to her. 

 

She looked at it. “Oh, you can eat it. I picked up two boxes for your sister!” 

 

He rolled his eyes and set the box down, taking a slice. Maxine watched him curiously. 

 

“Big brother, why do you live with 2 girls??” she asked, seemingly out of the blue. 

 

“U-uh…I d-don’t know,” he stuttered. He couldn’t tell her anything about the demon or angel stuff.

 

“I think you do, Oliver,” she said. 

 

“N-no I don’t, they just live here!”

 

She narrowed her eyes. “Sure.” She looked over to May, who was standing silently nearby. “You,” she said. 

 

“U-um…y-yeah?” Her eyes darted nervously. 

 

“Why do you live here?” 

 

“I…uh…I-I like it here…” 

 

Hmmmmm…” She bore a hole into May’s soul with her glare. “It’s because you like Oliver, isn’t it?” 

 

May froze, red in the face. “I-I, uh…”

 

“Just kidding!” she laughed, giggling like a child. “How could you like Oliver?? He’s never even had a girlfriend!”

 

Marilyn cocked her head. “What about E—”

 

Oliver jumped forward and clasped a hand over her mouth. “She’s just a friend!” 

 

“Who’s just a friend?” Maxine asked, the glare starting to come back. 

 

“Erica! But she’s just a friend!!”

 

She narrowed her eyes. “Hmmmmmmmm……” Oliver tried his best to look casual. “If you’re lying to me, I’ll tell Mom!!!” 

 

“I’m not, okay??” he urged, giving Marilyn a look before taking his hand away. 

 

Maxine seemed reluctant. “Hmm…..fine!” In a flash, she ran over to the couch and became entranced by the TV. 

 

Marilyn shot Oliver a look. “What the hell??” she whispered. 

 

“Shhh! She can’t know!” 

 

“Ohh…” she nodded slowly. “Sorry!”

 

Oliver retreated to the couch and collapsed next to his sister. “You know,” he said, “it’s pretty boring here, anyway.”

 

“No it’s not!” She looked around Oliver’s tiny apartment, and at Marilyn and May. “I bet you have lots of fun with the girls.”

 

“Wh-what?!!” he stuttered, blushing. 

 

“I meant the girls are fun to be with, you perv.”

 

He blushed even more. “Sh-shut up!”

 

Marilyn walked over and hugged him. “I love Oliver! He’s soooooooo cool!” 

 

“Hey!” Maxine cried, sitting up like a sergeant, “No, sorry—hands off him! Only me and his girlfriend can hug him like that!” 

 

She didn’t budge, saying, “But I am Oliver’s girlfriend!”

 

“WHAT?!?” Maxine and Oliver screamed. “OLIVER!!” Maxine scolded. 

 

“N-No! She’s just playing—she’s not my girlfriend!!!” 

 

“Sure I am,” she said. “Aren’t we friends?”

 

“Yes, but you aren’t my girlfriend!”

 

“Well,” she continued, “if I get to hug you like this, then I really want to be!” 

 

Maxine scrutinized the situation, staring down Marilyn and Oliver. Evaluating her. “Hmmm….” she hummed. “Ok, I’ll allow it.”

 

“What?? No!” Oliver argued. 

 

“Oh. Well then stop hugging him, Marilyn,” she demanded. 

 

“No! Make me!!” 

 

Oliver and Maxine both struggled to pry Marilyn off of him. 

 

LATER

 

An hour later, Maxine was passed out in Oliver’s bed. He laid back into the couch. 

 

“Fuck…why would my mom do that?? She didn’t even ask!” 

 

May sat down next to him cautiously. “Um…Oliver?” she asked after a while. 

 

“Yeah?”

 

“...she’s nothing like you.”

 

“Well, I mean,” he started, “she’s a girl.”

 

She played with her thumbs. “Yeah, but she’s your sister. I thought she was gonna be as cool as you, Oliver.” 

 

“She’s only 13. She’s still a kid—and has a lot more to see in life.”

 

“Boring!” Marilyn yelled from across the room. May looked over at her. She was reading a manga—May’s favorite manga. 

 

“H-hey!” May protested. “No it’s not!” 

 

“Yes it is!! Look.” She showed a page of the book to May. “I bet you want to do this to Oliver!” It was a picture of a guy and girl kissing. 

 

May blushed. “N-n-n—!” 

 

RINGRING. RINGRING. Marilyn’s phone went off. She answered. 

 

“Hello?” she said. Oliver and May watched her. “Oh, okay. We’ll be right there. Okay. Thank you, bye!” She hung up and looked up at Oliver. “C’mon Oliver, let’s go to the underworld!” 

 

“What? Why?” 

 

“Because!! It's Demon Payday, today! We’re gonna get paid!!”

 

“Oh shit,” he said, getting up. “Let’s go!” 

 

Marilyn opened the portal to the underworld while May watched distantly. Oliver looked back at her. 

 

“You coming?” Oliver asked. 

 

“I, um…are you sure it’s ok?” 

 

“Yeah,” he said. “Besides, I’ll be with you the whole time, so I’ll keep you safe.”

 

“Well…okay,” she said uneasily. Oliver grabbed her arm to go. “Wait!” she cried before he pulled her into the portal. 

 

“What??”

 

“Wh-what about your sister! She’ll be here all alone!”

 

“She’s 13!” Oliver said. “She’ll be fine!” 

 

He pulled her in, and the three of them stepped into the main office of the Underworld. A dim red glow hung from the windows. May clung to Oliver as she took in her surroundings. 

 

“O-Oliver?”

 

“Yeah?”

 

“Wh-why does it look like a hospital…?”

 

Oliver looked around. “It does, huh. I’m not sure why.” 

 

“Can I help you three?” a woman at the counter asked. One hand tapped her long fingernails on the counter, while the other held her uninterested jaw. She slouched aloofly over her keyboard. 

 

“We’re here for our paycheck,” Marilyn explained. 

 

“Name?” she muttered. 

 

Marilyn looked at Oliver. “O-oh, Oliver Rojas.” 

 

“Alright, hang on,” she said. She cataloged through a series of papers nimbly, stopping to grab a yellow envelope. “Here,” she handed it to him. 

 

Oliver took it. “Hey,” he said, watching her, “what’s your name?”

 

The woman looked up, confused. “What? Me?”

 

“Yeah.”

 

She looked confused, but settled into answering. “It’s Christa.”

 

“Oh, I like that name!” Oliver said. 

 

Christa blushed and smiled, still perplexed. “Thank you!”

 

“Well, I’ve gotta go now. See ya, Christa!”

 

“Oh, alright—bye Oliver! Have a nice day!”

 

Marilyn opened the portal. “You too!” Oliver called as he stepped through. The portal closed behind them. 

 

Christa sat at her desk upright, looking around. She was still smiling faintly. “Huh…what a nice kid,” she mumbled, confused but happier than she was before. 

 

Meanwhile, May and Marilyn gave Oliver a look at home. 

 

“What?” Oliver asked. 

 

“What was that all about??” Marilyn asked. 

 

“What?”

 

“With you asking her name and stuff. Huh, Oliver?”

 

“Oh.” He shrugged. “She looked bored. I just wanted to make her day better.”

 

“Hmm…” Marilyn stared at him. But he paid no notice. 

 

“Okay Marilyn—let’s do this.” He tore open the top of the envelope as Marilyn and May watched, and looked inside. His eyes slowly widened with realization. 

 

“Oh my fucking God,” he breathed. He pulled out an immense stack of money. He flitted through it. “This is like…$10,000!!” he exclaimed. 

 

“I think there’s more,” Marilyn said, pointing at the envelope. It still looked full. 

 

“What?” Oliver looked inside. “What the hell??!” He pulled out another huge stack. “Is this another $10,000???” 

 

“Yeah!” Marilyn cheered. Oliver still couldn’t believe it. 

 

“Shit, this job pays well,” he said, entranced by the money. He looked up at Marilyn. “So, how much do you want?” he asked. 

 

“Huh? Oh, I don’t want any.”

 

“WHAT?? WHY NOT!?? YOU HELPED EARN THIS, TOO!” 

 

“Nah,” she dismissed him. “You did pretty much everything. Tell you what, though—if I see something I want, just buy it for me, okay? I…kinda have a habit of losing my money.”

 

“Okay, fair enough,” Oliver said. He looked over at May, who was standing patiently to the side. He combed through the money. “Here!” he said, handing her about $2,000. 

 

She flushed. “Wh-what?! No, Oliver—I-I can’t take that! I-it’s too much!!” 

 

“Yeah, plus May didn’t do shit,” Marilyn chimed in. 

 

“Yeah she did—she’s helped me a lot.”

 

“Oh yeah? How?”

 

Oliver didn’t want to go through that argument again. “She just did, okay? So here; take it?” He held out the money to her. 

 

She pushed it away. “No, I-I can’t. This is just too much, Oliver. You don’t even need to pay me—I love living here!” she smiled. “Look, why don’t you just do the same thing you’re going to do with Marilyn—buy something for me if I want it.”

 

“Uh, y-you sure?” Oliver asked. 

 

“Yeah. I’m sure.”

 

He couldn’t believe it. $20,000. Twenty thousand dollars. That was more money than he’d ever seen, or even dreamed of seeing. And it was in cash. He couldn’t believe both girls turned it down. 

 

“Okay, if you guys say so. I think I’m gonna go to bed. I’ve gotta wake up early tomorrow.”

 

“Alright then. Goodnight Oliver,” Marilyn said. 

 

“Goodnight.”

 

Oliver walked into his room, leaving May and Marilyn alone in the living room. As he opened the door, the light from outside shone on Maxine’s sleeping body. 

 

“Shit, I forgot she was in here.” Oliver grabbed one of his pillows and an extra blanket, and situated himself on the floor next to the bed. It was hard and uncomfortable, and colder than he expected. 

 

Man…this takes me back, he thought. Sleeping on the floor in the streets, with one eye open, always wondering what was gonna happen to me that night…if something was gonna happen to me that night…

 

Oliver’s mind swam in old memories, only interrupted by the mumble of Maxine’s voice. 

 

“No, mom,” she drawled in her sleep. “...where’s big brother?”

 

Oliver sat up to check on her. She had a tightened grip on the bed sheets, nearly digging her fingernails into her own palm, and a tear ran down her scrunched face. Oliver laid back down.

 

Shit…that fucked both of us, huh…he thought with a pang of guilt. I…I wish I could go back…I wish I could go back and stop myself…from…

 

He dozed into an uncomfortable sleep.   

 

End of chapter 20   

3