Redemption Chapter 37 – Caught in a New Web
66 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

We kept walking well into the night on the first day, intent on getting far away from the Ortisfel as quickly as possible and they gave us no more trouble. After that we slowed our pace to a more sustainable rate and continued on our way. As we went, the plains of broken earth slowly gave way to more level ground. The rifts and valleys grew fewer, replaced by what would appear to be sheets of ice, were it not for their silver colour and metallic sheen. Not to mention that the ambient temperature had scarcely changed.

After passing a few of the strange formations in the distance, I spotted one close by and pointed at it. “Do you know what those things are?”

“I think Tagath tried to tell me about them once. They’re like deposits of metal or something? I didn’t really pay much attention.”

“They’re not dangerous then?”
Elmidath shrugged. “I mean, I don’t think so? I feel like I would have remembered if they were. Besides, they hardly look very dangerous.”

Despite her words, Elmidath still kept well clear of them. I, however, was more interested in them. Or perhaps I was just more foolish. Whatever the case, I took a slight detour to the nearest and poked it with my sword. The surface was hard and unyielding with a smooth finish, not unlike ice.

Emboldened by the lack of reaction, I reached out and touched it. Somehow, despite all evidence, I still expected it to feel cold but it was actually rather warm. I considered striking it to see if it was also as brittle as ice, but decided against it. Experimenting for curiosity’s sake could only go so far, particularly when there were more important things to worry about, as so often seemed to be the case.

I returned to Elmidath who glanced at me. “How’d it go? Anything interesting happen?”

“Nope. I’m quite sure it’s not dangerous now though; so that’s something.”

“I’m so glad you went to investigate and ensure our safety, now we can continue onward without concern. Or at least without any additional concern.”

Suffice to say her tone was drier than the land through which we travelled. A land which, from what I can recall of my journeys through it so far, contained no water whatsoever.

“You’re welcome. And if ever there should arise a need for another such selfless sacrifice, you know who to call.”

“I’ll keep that in mind for the next time we’re confronted by a slightly unfamiliar object that is in no way impeding or threatening us.”

“Good, for I am perfectly suited to handling such fearsome opponents.”

To my satisfaction, that managed to elicit a chuckle from Elmidath, and we continued on our way. The not-ice grew more and more frequent, until we were forced to go over or around it. Surprisingly my previous investigation hadn’t been entirely pointless; now we could travel without wondering what sinister machinations this strange metallic substance might have in store for us. Though, as the journey was quite boring, I still took the trouble to do that. It helped to pass the time.

Our heroic drudgery blazed a bland trail through the unknown lands before us, until the suns beneath the horizon and we sat down to rest. It was lucky the not-ice wasn’t cold, because we really were not equipped to deal with frigid temperatures. Even just sleeping under the stars like this, without a tent or blanket, was uncomfortably chilly at times.

But hey, I’d still take sleeping out here over sleeping within Yurielius’s confines any day. At least no giant plants were going to consume me while I slept out here. Or so I hoped. One could never truly say for sure in this ridiculous world.

In an astounding turn of good fortune, I awoke the next morning uneaten and we set off again. A few hours after dawn, we arrived at an expansive field of the silver faux ice. Stretching for hundreds of metres, it contained only a few patches of uncovered ground. We stood before it, unsure of how to proceed.

Crossing her arms, Elmidath looked out across the glittering landscape. “Can’t we just walk across?”

“We could try, but we’d probably be better off just going around, it’s pretty slippery after all.”

“That seems like a waste of time.”

I shrugged. “It’s less time than we’ll waste falling over if we try to go across.”

She conceded the point and we were circling around when I spotted a path through the not-ice. I pointed it out, and we went over it. Though walled in on either side, it continued all the way to the field’s end.

I tapped my fist against the side and confirmed its solidity. “Perfect. This must be how people normally travel through here.”

“I suppose. It’s hard to imagine it happened by sheer chance.”

We walked side-by-side into the passage, and I wondered how it might have been formed. Had they simply cut their way through by force, or perhaps used magic? Or maybe all of this had been created on purpose, including the path through it. I doubted any of this was natural, though I wasn’t quite sure what that word meant in relation to this world. Very little of it seemed truly natural to me.

We were nearing the halfway mark when there was a deep rumble all around us and I froze. I was trying to figure out what it was, when it came again, louder this time and without fading away. Only then did I realize it was coming from the walls as they closed in on us. They shuddered along, shards of metal breaking off from the violence of their movements. Shocked into action, I tried to climb up the sheer metal only to slide right back down.

Realizing the futility of that approach, I looked around frantically for another way out. The entire passage was closing and we’d never make it to either entrance in time to escape. Elmidath took flight and made it most of the way up before a long shard cut right through the delicate membrane of her wing. Narrowly avoiding the wall, she plummeted to the ground.

Bringing forth Yueryurn’s aura, I slowed her fall and lowered her to the ground. She got up, clutching her wing with a pained expression on her face, but otherwise unhurt. “Damnit.”

“Can you make it to the top if I give you a boost?”

I shifted the aura to show how I intended to support her.

“It’s probably too high, but—” she eyed the walls closing in on us, we barely had enough room left to stand two abreast “—do it.”

Focusing my stolen energy, I formed a platform of glowing blue. With a wince of pain, Elmidath climbed up, and I lifted her as high as my power allowed. It was still a long way up and I hoped she could manage it. Elmidath wrapped her hands in her own magicked blood and leapt at the smooth wall. She started to slide back down before her hands dug into the metal enough to hold her there.

Leaving one hand securely planted, she swung her other hand at a higher point on the wall. It bit into the metal and she drew her other hand back to repeat the process, only to lose her grip and fall right back to the platform. Undeterred, she threw herself into the climb once more while I focused on keeping the aura solid.

She nearly fell several times, but she was getting close to the top while the walls got uncomfortably close. It wouldn’t be long now before we were crushed between them. The Demon Lord high above was preparing her second last handhold when the entire cliff face broke off and she plummeted.

I caught her once more, for all the good that it would do. We were clearly out of time. Drawing the stunned demon down and to me, I put my last-ditch effort into action. I focused all the energy I had at my disposal in a tight shell around us in the hopes of holding out until the walls stopped moving.

However, if they were planning on stopping, it wasn’t anytime soon. The magical barrier held the metal back for a time, causing it to crack apart, but it wasn’t long before the barrier was flickering and I knew it wouldn’t last. It was on the verge on breaking down entirely when a deafening explosion echoed through the passage, filling the air with smoke and throwing us violently through the air.

When both the smoke and my mind had cleared enough to see, I found that both Elmidath and I were unharmed while a large swathe of the metal around us was reduced to a smoking ruin. The walls around us had ceased moved and we stared at the new crater in mute incomprehension. A robed figure appeared on top of the cliff and I shifted my gaze to them.

Stepping out into empty air, they drifted gently down toward us as if they weighed no more than a feather. Dark grey garments blowing gently in the breeze, they landed in front of us and spread their arms in a grandiose gesture.

“You are welcome.”

Clearing my throat, partly due to embarrassment but mostly to jolt myself into speech, I approached the stranger. “Thank you. If it hadn’t been for you, we’d be dead.”

Their deep hood hid most of their features, though there was an impression of pale waxy skin and a slight smile. “I’m well aware of that and know that I wished no harm to come to either of you, least of all Lady Sarinknell.”

Elmidath’s eyes widened. “Who are you?”

“A friend. Or near enough for your purposes. You may refer to me as Erstanos.”

“What do you want from us? I’m guessing you didn’t happen upon us by coincidence.”

“It was something of a coincidence, though I must confess I have desired a meeting with you both for some time now. We have important matters to discuss.”

I scratched my head, trying to figure out what this guy’s deal was. “Before we get to that, what even are you? A demon?”

“My nature is of little relevance. Know only that I have much aid to offer you against the Ortisfel.”

Okay, now he had my attention, though I was still wary of his intentions. “What sort of aid?”

“Knowledge for a start. I imagine you know almost nothing of their nature.”

Elmidath and I shared a glance. “We know a bit about them.”

“Do you know how they might be defeated?”

“Um, something about closing a rift?”

“So, you are aware of it in the simplest terms. I assure you there is far more to it than that. You will never be able to achieve much of anything without the knowledge I possess.”

Elmidath threw up her hands in frustration. “Get to the point already, what do you want from us in exchange? If it’s wealth or territory, I’m short on both.”

“I am well apprised of your current circumstances. Besides, I have no interest in such crass material possessions. No, what I desire is of a rather different nature.”

“Then name it.”

“First, allow me to detail what it is I offer in exchange. The knowledge required to defeat the Ortisfel is but one component of the deal I am suggesting. Far more important is this- “he drew an irregular piece of silver-green crystal from his robes “-the instrument of their destruction.”

Peering at the rock, my eyebrows shot up. “And how exactly is this going to destroy the Ortisfel?”

The crystal’s peaks and valleys, along with the tiny formations that covered its surface, made it an interesting piece but it appeared to be nothing more than a novelty.

“This device, which I have named The Hand of Imistala, will cut off their source of power from our world. From there, the entirety of them will inevitably die out.”

“I’m guessing you want to get rid of them, based on the fact that you made this thing in the first place, so why don’t you just do it yourself? What do you need us for?”

“There is much more afoot here than you know. Suffice to say I have my reasons. Are they truly of such great significance when I’m offering you your only chance at victory?”

I still disliked that he was keeping secrets from us, but I couldn’t deny how useful what he’d promised would be. Assuming he lived up to his word. “Alright, so we know what you have to offer; what do you want from us?”

“There are two things I desire in this exchange; the entity within your sword and a drop of the lady’s blood. I believe that’s a rather small price for what I offer.”

Elmidath looked to me. “I don’t have a problem with it, but…”

“Is there nothing else we can give you?”

Erstanos stared right at me. “My terms are not up for negotiation.”

That sealed it then. Unappealing as giving up Shotensho was, it was a small price to pay in the grand scheme of things. Particularly next to all the other sacrifices that had already been made to stop the Ortisfel. However, I could hardly give Shotensho away without at least asking him about it.

“Give me a few moments then.”

“Very well.”

I turned my attention inward, focusing on my connection with the blade. I was about to explain the circumstances, when Shotensho’s voice sounded in my head.

“Do what you must, don’t hesitate on my account.”

“Are you sure about this?”

I felt my connection with Shotensho break, which I took to be an answer in the affirmative. Taking a deep breath, I offered the sword hilt to Erstanos.

“Fine, we agree to your terms.”

Erstanos’s cold smile widened beneath his hood. “Most excellent.”

1