Birthright Chapter 7 – Unlikely Allies
512 2 13
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“So, what’s the ring do then?” I’d been dying to find out since Sarinknell got it, but I waited until we left Biustarn’s group behind to ask.

Slipping the ring onto her index finger, Sarinknell held her hand out. “Watch.” A shimmer appeared in the air before her, large enough to cover several people. “Try throwing a rock at it from the other side.” I did as she suggested, the rock bounced off as if it had struck a solid wall.

“Wow.” It wasn’t the most exciting effect, but it would definitely be useful.

The fake Demon Lord puffed out her chest, with a smug look on her face. “And with that, we’re one step closer to reclaiming my birthright.”

“Is it really your birthright? Biustarn was pretty clear about the title not being yours by right.”

Sarinknell sneered. “It doesn’t matter what the law says.”

I could only shake my head at that. She was definitely a villain, no two ways about it. Even if she didn’t seem that bad most of the time. Granted, I’d only spent a couple of days with her so that “most of the time” didn’t count for much.

We walked until sunset, when Sarinknell called for a rest. Everyone was too tired to have much interest in conversation and after eating some of our rations, we turned in for the night.

After the evening meal, Sarinknell walked over to me. “We’ll be in enemy territory tomorrow, make sure you get some sleep. I’ll need you alert.”

I doubted I’d be very alert, regardless of how much sleep I got, but I nodded. Sarinknell had the bedroll she’d brought from where they were staying, where as I was left to sleep on the ground.

I’d never roughed it like this, I wasn’t sure if I’d be able to get much sleep. But to my surprise, I drifted off in a manner of minutes. I awoke to someone kicking me in the ribs, hard. Trying to get up, I stopped short as a spear-tip appeared at my throat.

Looking around without moving my head, I saw half a dozen armoured demons positioned around us. Three of them carried two-handed spears, while the two had crossbows, and the last had a sword on his hip. “What the hell is going on? Who are you people?”

A demon with long, curved horns and red skin turned to me; the one who hadn’t drawn his weapon. “We are soldiers in the service of Lord Sarinknell.” He smiled at Sarinknell, the one I knew. “And unless I’m mistaken, you’re his runaway niece.”

Sarinknell stood up, not paying the slightest attention to the blade levelled at her. “That’s right. What do you plan to do about it?”

“I was planning on delivering you to your uncle.”

The wannabe Demon Lord crossed her arms. “Well? If that’s the case why we standing here talking?”

I didn’t understand where she was going with that, did she want to be captured?

The leader of our captors looked around at his men. “My men and I aren’t on the best terms with our lord. And let’s just say he’s not exactly known for gratitude either.”

Sarinknell snorted. “So you want me offer you something better? Very well, march on his manor with me and I’ll see that all of you are richly rewarded.”

The demons looked at each other and burst out laughing. “I don’t like the man, but I’m not in a hurry to die fighting against him. Nah. How about this, you turn over all your valuables and we’ll pretend we never saw you.”

I watched, still lying on the ground, as Sarinknell covered the ring on her finger. She took a deep breath. “I can’t do that.”

The red-skinned demon shrugged. “Then I guess we’ll be taking you to see your uncle.” Seeing Sarinknell scowling at him, he shook his head. “You can hardly blame us for this, you’re the fool who decided to come back.”

“I am no fool.” It sounded awfully petulant. I guess she was still young. Seeing her shift her claws toward her wrist in preparation of drawing blood, I sprang into action. “Wait. Can I say something?”

I really didn’t want the spear in front of me to go through my throat so I raked my brain, trying to think of some way out of this. If there was one thing I’d seen about demons up to this point, it was that they were motivated by greed over anything.

Not sure that made them very different from humans, but I could definitely use it. “I get that you don’t want to fight against your lord and die pointlessly. But think about it like this. If you’re not willing to take risks, you’ll never advance. You’ll be stuck as the minions of a Demon Lord you don’t even want to work for. Wouldn’t you much rather try to make a better future for yourselves?”

Their leader frowned, scratching his head. His men looked similarly confused. “Who are you, anyway?”

“I am Cathal Moore, bound servant of the soon-to-be Lady Sarinknell. And with me,” I gestured toward the sword by my side, “I have the blade Shotensho, once wielded by her father.”

The leader cleared his throat and address Sarinknell. “You have a bound knight?” He gestured to his men. “Let them go.” The soldiers around us stood down and he continued, “I can’t believe I’m even considering this but…look, do you really think you can win?”

I got to my feet and drew myself up to my full height, around the same as the demons around me. “I do. If there is one thing I trust in this world, it is my master.” It was, of course, a complete lie. But hey, if I was going to die in this suicidal task may as well bring a few others along with me. Especially if it increased the chances of us somehow pulling it off.

Sarinknell glanced at me, as if she couldn’t quite believe what she was hearing. But then her doubt faded, replaced by her usual confident mask. “Join us. Together we will crush my uncle and reclaim what is rightfully ours.”

The demon leader stood with his hand on the hilt of his sword. “Do you have a plan?”

“Of course. But I can’t risk sharing it with you at this stage. I will inform you when it’s time for you to act. Take this.” She handed him a small piece of embossed leather, stamped with a picture of a scroll. “Keep it with you and wait for my signal. For now, all you need to do is go to the trading post and stay there for a while. I won’t be long.”

Taking it, he nodded. “Fine. I’m in.” He stepped back with the rest of his men and took a few moments to confer with them, before returning. “So are the others.” He put his hand to his chest. “I’m Tros.” He listed off the names of his five companions. “Well if you don’t need us right now, then we’ll be on our way. You should have a clear shot to the trading post without running into any more patrols. So long as you move quickly.”

With a final wave, the soldiers left us. Once they were out of sight, Sarinknell took a deep breath and mopped at her forehead with her sleeve. Closing her eyes, she stood with her head bowed for a little while before returning to her usual self.

She glanced at me. “You did well. Let’s get going.” I saved us and that’s all the thanks I get? It didn’t seem fair, but at that point I was too relieved to care. We’d actually manage to escape without injury or capture. Not only that, we’d even gained some new allies.

Who knew demons could be so reasonable? I was amazed at how easily they’d been persuaded, it must have been down to my well-crafted argument. Sure, I couldn’t remember exactly what I’d said in the heat of the moment, but it must have been convincing.

I walked with my head held high, feeling like a weight had been lifted from my shoulders. Not wanting to try our luck with any other soldiers, we set a brisk pace. Tros was true to his word and we encountered no other patrols along the way. “What is the plan anyway?”

“I thought it best to keep it simple. We’re going to walk into the trading post and wait for my uncle to come to us.”

“That’s it?” That’s what we were staking our lives on?

“I know it might sound strange, but this way we can fight him on our terms. Without him having access to the manor’s defenses.”

“And what if he doesn’t come? What if he just sends his soldiers out to arrest us?”

“Then we kill or capture them and his forces are that much diminished.”

“Is this really the best idea you could come up with?” It seemed far too simple. There had to be a better way.

“You said you trusted me.” I thought she sounded hurt, but it was probably just my imagination. 
“I did but- “

“Then I suggest you continue to do so. This plan will work, I guarantee it.”

I had no idea where she got her confidence from, but it was enough to win me over. If only barely. If she was that confident about it, maybe it wasn’t such a bad plan. It wasn’t like I really had any idea.

 

13