Chapter 41.0 – Andrea
71 2 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
I'm switching things up a bit. We will follow Andrea's POV for a couple of chapters. Hopefully this can show how Damon has changed and show this new world through the lenses of a native.

Father had sent a messenger telling me to come back to the estate. Although I hadn’t completed my control and command course, I was a qualified level one knight, and level one scout. In other words, a level 5 sword skill holder and a level four dark mage.

“Let’s go Elisa,” I called out to my adjuvant. She was the second daughter of Viscount Grobelno, my father's retainer. She helped me recruit and lead the fifty men-at-arms I hired in the capital.

“Do you really think there’s going to be a civil war?” asked Elisa. Although she studied in the knight’s academy, the Grobelno were a mercantile oriented noble family and weren’t fond of wars. Unfortunately for her she was born with level 7 sword skill potential.

“You can’t kill seven top-class black mages and not acquire the ire of all the sects in the region. The king has already gone mad, and it wasn’t due to black magic but the loss of his daughter. It’s only a matter of time before he gets killed or kills himself.”

“I understand, but still why did your father call you immediately, you could have graduated in another three weeks.”

“It doesn’t matter, there wasn’t anything else to learn and a certificate doesn’t mean anything to a daughter of a duke. Anyways, my little brother has a new magic tutor, so I wanted to see if he’s treating him well.”

“Going to see a tutor doesn’t justify missing three weeks’ worth of studies.”

I unintentionally rolled my eyes, tired of her usual antics and hit her lizard mount to speed up.

We arrived at the city gates at night. The fifty men-at-arms went to the city barracks, they would be incorporated into the duke’s army. Elisa went to the Grobelno residence in the inner city.

On my end, I walked through the cold city at night. My armour didn’t make any sound and to raise even fewer alarms I activated shadow meld and lessen reflection. As I passed through the city, I looked at the helpless commoners who indulged in drinks and food. They didn’t have the funds to hunt beasts to level up. As such it wasn’t uncommon to find people still at level 0. However, if commoner parents had some cash, they’d send their sons and daughters to go on a month long hunt with a large group of other young adults. As eight or twelve perk points could make a world’s difference in the life of commoners. An individual’s level was apparently used by parents as a matchmaking tool. In a perfect world, everyone would be allowed to go hunt for half a year. Yet, this wasn’t in the best interest of the nobility. But, on the other hand, Figaro, the third prince of the kingdom wanted to see this reality through. And I, although young and without authority wanted to support him in this endeavour. Even if it meant to marry him and wage a civil war. And now with an impeding succession crisis, it would be time to strike.

Another group who wanted to achieve this was the Reef sect. A sect of black mages who wanted to develop the medical aspect of black magic. They claimed that on the island of the Fae, the fairies had started the development of healing magic twice as effective as what was possible with holy magic. They even demonstrated this new black magic branch. And even if their intentions weren’t pure, the ends were a net benefit to the kingdom. Perhaps this would also let us close the power gap between us and the old human continent.

Unfortunately, the duke had gotten the backing of another sect. My father wasn’t a bad duke. However, he only looked at his own gains and got the backing of the largest, and most traditional sect, one apparently led by a high-ranking demon with multiple subordinates. A sect of this size shouldn’t even exist on such a small continent nor act in such a small kingdom; however, it had apparently lost a conflict with another sect on the elvish continent and came here to take refuge. In this aspect they resembled my father. However, with their experience and power, this sect quickly expanded in the kingdom. At the time they contacted the duke of Carline, they already controlled two of the five dukes. Opposing them would be paramount to suicide. They apparently said that their goal was to help the commoners; however, that was most definitely a backdrop to their real aim. To create the first pro-black mage kingdom in the continent. In other words, a stepping-stone for further expansion. As such, to prevent them from squeezing the kingdom dry of wealth and power, the Reef sect sent me to thwart their attempt and push for a pro-black mage kingdom which wants to heal the masses and not to conquer them.

When I arrived at the mansion’s gate, the guards bowed and let me in. I still had to flash my insignia in case someone had stolen my appearance. Just as I was about to enter the mansion, I saw a shadow lying on the roof of the gardening shed. This must have been my brother’s new tutor. I activated all my dark magic spells and climbed the house in silence. When I was about to speak and introduce myself the man jumped from the roof. He activated a protective earth shield and disappeared in a thick black mist filled with sand.

I jumped after him. However, when I landed in the streets there was no one. Well, other than an old man limping towards the side streets.

Although I didn’t get a good look at his face, I did see his long ears and dark purple skin. His dark yellow eyes reminded me of the only other dark elf I’d ever seen. That was back a few years ago in the capital when a merchant convoy had come to trade a few magical items for a year’s worth of the nation’s budget.

However, other than that memory, I now understood why the other sects were so afraid of this sect. In any other organization a dark elf would take the position of the leader, however, here one acted as just another agent. Their power was unimaginable.

I doubted if the best option was to side with the Reef sect. Good intentions meant nothing if one was dead. A better idea might be to turn this dark elf to my side. I could use my charms, I’m not a bad-looking woman if I do say so myself. And the elves, as said by the humans of the other continent had an exotic charm. Their long ears, and thin faces gave off a noble charm, and their deep yellow eyes pierced through the night. However, I’d still need to be careful. You couldn’t judge an elf’s power by their appearance.

#

“What were you thinking, using your powers to sneak up on the elf?” Yelled Carline, “Do you intend to tell everyone your skills. Although I’m planning on working with them in this upcoming war, I certainly don’t trust black mages with any information. And here you gave it to them for free.”

“Well, I did learn that he can use dark and earth magic.”

“Oh, great, so we can trade his life for yours. AT LEAST clean up your mess when you go hunting. And gather as much information as you can.”

Andrea took two steps back. Although her father never hit her, his presence sure as hell did and who knew when he would blow. “Yes Father. I’ll do my best.” She took two small steps forward, “Umm, could I at least get some information on him? It’ll be easier if I at least know the basics.”

Carline cooled down a bit. However, his face was still red. “He’s from the Tree sect. They come from the elvish continent. Since the one they sent was a dark elf, it checks out. Apparently, he is a fallen noble from one of the six great dark elf tribes; however, we can’t get precise information since we’re too far from the elvish continent. However, his clothes and jewelry are elvish in nature from what I know and they aren’t cheap either. Although I can’t tell his age, he doesn’t exude the air of an elder. Perhaps thirty or forty at most. I think he’s a pure mage. He might know how to wield his sword, but his body doesn’t look like one with a martial skill.”

“In short you don’t know anything,” said Andrea.

Carline flashed an angry look, “You are the daughter of a duke and the third prince's futur wife, not a soldier. Act your position, I am getting tired of your language.”

Andrea bowed, “I am terribly sorry that I have offended you. In penance I will commune with the gods.”

“Fuck off.”

Andrea left for her room.

#

Andrea went to gather the three squires, Elisa, and another knight who would accompany her to the hunt. She didn’t need to look long since they had already gathered inside a reception room of the mansion. Fergulino was already ready and wore enchanted leather armour which gave it the same physical properties of full plate armour minus the weight and movement impairment. Damon was already waiting at the gates. He wore the same elvish nobility clothes and jewelry, however, this time he had a sword on his side. If it wasn’t for last night’s escape, she’d have thought that he’d never left his mansion nor entered a forest.

She called out to him, “Hello again.”

Damon nodded, “Good morning, are you all ready?”

His words and facial expression were dry, not inviting, and frankly boring. However, his clothes made him look charming, in a way. Ah, the difference clothes make. This made her grin unconsciously, however, Damon turned around that instant and she realized that if she didn’t put in more effort, the only thing she’d learn is that he dislikes her.

The small group left for the city gates. All the commoners wandering the streets moved aside and looked down. At the gate 8 lizard mounts slept in the exterior stable. They each took on and set off for the dense hilly woods in the north.

Two squires led the way with a knight. One squire, her, and Elisa stayed in the back. In the middle of the formation, Damon talked to Fergulino. She had expected her brother to be with her, he hadn’t seen her in a year. But now he stuck oh so close to Damon.

“I want to see how that pretty boy fights against monsters,” murmured Andrea to Elisa.

“Didn’t you say he’s strong a few hours ago? If I remember correctly you said, “Be careful, although we are on another mission, keep a good eye on him and note down—”

“Ah, will ya shut up? You don’t need to imitate my voice as well.”

“Noted,” said Elisa, “but isn’t he your type? He’s a member of the occult and, well strong.”

“But he’s just a dark elf. I’m interested in the occult, not the people who study it.”

“Well, that’s true.” Emilia looked towards the front of the formation. “What are we hunting?”

“Whatever we find here. Probably some goblins, kobolds, giant crickets, or orcs if we find any. We have enough provisions for ten days so we can probably find some good monsters.”

The group continued further into the forest.

3