Update
90 9 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Short version: I’m officially stopping this story. I started another one called Vampire of Science, Father of Magic. Check it out if you want, don’t if you don’t. I hope that although this web novel ended prematurely you still enjoyed what it had to offer. And if you never stumble upon my writing ever again, have a good rest of your life and I wish you good luck with your future endeavours.

I started a new story Vampire of Science, Father of Magic, however, I have only uploaded one chapter here since I find that Scribblehub encourages daily uploads more than royal road so I wanted to accumulate more of them. On royal road I currently have 19 chapters uploaded, but I won't link to it since I'm pretty sure there's a rule against that on Scribble hub.

Anyhow this is the Scribble hub link: https://www.scribblehub.com/series/672824/vampire-of-science-father-of-magic/

#

Long version (which is honestly mostly for me, and so I don’t have to copy paste the same words to get to the 500-word threshold. Anyhow here it is anyways):

I have a problem when it comes to dealing with facing promises, commitments, and other such things that I can’t uphold. Another problem I face is that I hate to abandon things.

In this case the story Black Prince: Cruel magic found itself on the receiving end of my issues.

I started writing about three years ago. And for the first year I spent my time writing, editing, and reediting the same novel. I had a grand vision for it; however, I couldn’t make the story progress. I went hard into the literary aspect of it, practised a lot and tried to make it more poetic than anything else. Obviously, I was missing a most crucial aspect. The plot. As such the story really didn’t work. Who was I kidding, I had only been writing for a year and each paragraph was riddled with the passive tense, bad grammar, and a bunch of other issues. And so, I decided to put that story aside and write short stories, as recommended by a bunch of writers and YouTube videos. However, without a big overarching goal I often stopped writing for weeks or even months. And so, the: “write short stories” tip didn’t work for me. I’m sure it did a bit, but not to the degree I wanted. After all writing 10–15 short stories in half a year isn’t gonna help you progress much. At the end of the day, to improve your writing you just gotta write. And so googling random writing tips once again I learned of Scribble hub. Since Scribble hub was filled with fantasy novels and the like I decided to write something here (I wrongfully thought that fantasy novels were all plot and nothing else). And so, I thought I could practise my plot making skills here and gain a massive following. Ofc when I only had 10 or so followers after a few weeks it was devastating.

But ofc that happened because my view of fantasy novels was wrong and insulting to the whole genre, its readers, and writers. I’ve always mostly read contemporary stuff and been on that side of the reading community so my views had def been skewed. Showing as everyone can see how polarized everything can become.

Anyhow, I started to write this story without any consideration to the literary aspect of the work due to these false assumptions (and did I really think I could even write literary stuff? Like the gall of this guy.) Anyhow, things such as ambiance, sentence flow, etc… were lacking. And right away I got comments saying that my world seemed empty. Which was true. And at that point I started to realize that my previous assumptions were dead wrong. Still I continued to write this story, because I really did like the plot and I still do. However, as someone who doesn’t read books for the plot, writing for plot wasn’t enough to keep me going past 300 pages. My upload schedule went down, and I started to see writing this story as something I had to do. Which is never good, I mean I could get through it if I was being paid, but this story is def not good enough to get paid for.

And so I started to think up another story and Vampire of Science, Father of Magic is what I came up with. Although the story isn’t the same, I think it shares a lot with this one. For the reason I still really like this story’s plot. However, by starting anew I got to rectify a lot of the mistakes I made with this story, like leaving out any literary aspects to the novel. (Ofc, I realize that even these literary aspects are lacking a lot. I’m still a new writer and lack a lot. Three years is nothing. For example, things such as repeating the same words in close proximity and better character interactions and illustrating peoples’ emotions are things I want to work on in the next few months.

And I think that’s reflected in how the story is doing. Because, in all honesty, at the end of the day, numbers going brrr is one of the best motivators; for me at least.

Anyhow, since the other story is doing much better, and I enjoy writing it much more (no doubt because I don’t see it as a writing exercise but just me trying to write a good story), I have decided to officially stop writing this story to set my mind at ease. Every time I enter my dashboard and see this fiction, it honestly pulls at my heart (refer back to the first paragraph of the long version).

And so, I just wanted to say, thank you a lot for reading my story, commenting, reviewing my story, and rating it. It really meant and still means a lot to me and helped me improve my writing a tremendous amount. Reading the other pieces of fiction on this website made me see how much I still have to improve, made me gain a great deal of respect for the genre. Which is often looked down on, even by some established authors that write it. And writing here also gave me clear goals to chase.

I hoped that although this web novel ended prematurely you still enjoyed what it had to offer even though I did not put enough love into it. And if you never stumble upon my writing ever again, have a good rest of your life and I wish you good luck with your future endeavours.

I started a new story Vampire of Science, Father of Magic, however, I have only uploaded one chapter here since I find that Scribblehub encourages daily uploads more than royal road so I wanted to accumulate more of them. On royal road I currently have 19 chapters uploaded, but I won't link to it since I'm pretty sure there's a rule against that on Scribble hub.

Anyhow this is the Scribble hub link: https://www.scribblehub.com/series/672824/vampire-of-science-father-of-magic/

 

2